Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I thought the cool thing about EVE was that as long you don't straight up hack you can get away with just about anything?

Wow, no. Where did you hear that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

rotinaj posted:

I was under that impression as well. It's been said repeatedly that people would grief the poo poo out of someone, but wouldn't break any rules, and the admins wouldn't penalize that player because that was what they wanted: Player driven gameworld and economy.

In theory. But if the admins are involved, their policy seems to change pretty fast.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Jacada posted:

So a few of us goon have started playing face of mankind, the community on it are quite literally insane we have pretty much done nothing yet and still we are getting some hilarious responses, heres a most recent one on the official game forums which we think is brilliant.

Face of Mankind is already complete poo poo. If this is their reaction when nothing's even happened yet, they really deserve everything they get.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Aerobic Robot posted:

TTT is by far the best griefing experience I've ever had. Have some vids yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Xs_-g-Dis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1gyt4lrpI

...I must play this game.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

I still don't know what a CC is.

"Crowd Control". In this context, he means attacks that keep someone from taking some actions. Roots stop a character from moving around, fear forces a character to run around and nothing else, and I have no idea what kidney punch does. I'm assuming some kind of stun, which would cause a character to not be able to do anything.

e: f, b.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

fennesz posted:

[Amazing/horrifying Hate Collage]

They still teach spelling and grammar in public school, right?

...Right? :ohdear:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

jvempire posted:

A simple prop kill video, made by me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9uTiwFiNc

Pretty sure he saw that coming, after you completely missed on the first try. He was pretty quick on the ban button.

The random other player saying "187" right afterward almost saves it, though.

Snatch Duster posted:

People getting throwen to their deaths by couple of goony goones in a mod for Mount and Blade: Warband called cRPG. Just imagine the chaos this being done on servers with hundreds of players, not just couple dozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqMnNJzHrI

cRPG is godawful to try to get into as a new player, but I might have to give it another try just to do this.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 15, 2010

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

AXE COP posted:

Actually if you scroll the mousewheel it zooms an object away from you, do it fast enough and you can clobber a dude at speed.

Also, I think there's a modifier key (e? shift, maybe?) that you can use to make the scroll wheel push faster.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

RNG posted:

Flash grenades do the trick.

Especially when riding shotgun with someone. Especially because of SR2's tendency to freeze up for a split second every once in a while (on PC).

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Phuzzy posted:

You're the reason atmos is not a job any more, mate.
He's not talking about replacing the air in the station with other chemicals. He's talking about filling equippable air tanks with other gases.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

duffath posted:

What's the best way to get into SS13? It sounds like playing it with goons is an absolute riot, but it seems quite complicated and perhaps sometimes a rather unforgiving environment to be in.

I'd like to try it out and learn a little maybe, but don't want to ruin everyone else game by being the stupid noobie, or is that forgivable by goons since they can vent me out in the space while I am typing "hey some guy has grabbed me and is about to throw me out an airlock...how do I stop him guys?"

http://ss13.donglabs.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started
http://ss13.donglabs.com/index.php?title=Basics
http://ss13.donglabs.com/index.php?title=Tips_N_Tricks

These three articles are a good starting point. The first two are a short summary of how to work the controls, and the third has tips for avoiding silly mistakes.

Welcome aboard.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Dexanth posted:

It got that way because each dotalike is a 30-60 minute long match with stat tracking and constant player scaling, so if you start out badly you're usually trapped getting stomped harder and harder till you lose

I don't remember if this is the thread in which I first read it I read it, but I'm pretty sure that at least LoL purposefully designed the game so that cascading failures would cascade harder. I don't understand why people actually play these games.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

slovach posted:

I'm pretty sure that a good 80% of the games I played in L4D never finished. Some nights we honestly could not play one single game from start to finish. There is no game on the planet where people quit as much, if even the slightest thing goes wrong then chances are it's time to bail in their minds.

I think this is mostly because it takes 2-3 hours to play one game of versus in L4D, and it's one of those games that are really unfun when you're losing. Sort of like League of Legends, except rounds of LoL don't last nearly as long, and have the bonus of having a masochistic playerbase to begin with.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

You act like that attitude is something desirable.

It is for playing Dark Souls. :v:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Rixen posted:

:catstare: :words:

I will never not be incredibly creeped out by Elin players. Low hanging fruit be damned, there is no such thing as giving these players too much poo poo about their choice of race.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

EA Sports posted:

WWE 2012 video where a man becomes offended by a competitors character name.

Holy poo poo, it seriously takes over 7 and a half minutes to start playing? I think these guys were griefing themselves long before race was brought into it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I seriously can't wait for this game to be out on PC, GFWL or no.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Tumbleweed Hank posted:

I think I have to jump on the SS13 bandwagon. These stories are too good to not want to watch live (or dead as a ghost).

I volunteer my body for a glorious butt robot army.

I don't think you even have to die to do this. I'm pretty sure you can live without a butt as long as you don't try to poop or fart (which cause you to explode if you don't have a butt).

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Oppenheimer posted:

I don't think it being written like a fairy tale helped either.

Nah, the writing style was easy to read and would have made for a great story, if there had actually been a punchline.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

What? No, it's really easy. It's a first person shooter where you click to shoot, zoom with right-mouse button like most other shooters. The only difference is that you have vitality zones and that means a single shot could kill you or disable a limb, preventing you from walking or running and in some cases aiming your gun straight. And you can bleed. It's just a very realistic FPS with a counter-intuitive inventory system.But if you just want to grief, you don't need to know poo poo about inventory.

Just go out there and shoot people.

Well the joke's on you, because you don't spawn with guns or ammo anymore in DayZ.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

invisible crack ninja

I think I've found my next wrestler name for WWE 12.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Oh God. I have to play this now. Why are you doing this to me, griefing thread? :negative:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I think this is it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&pagenumber=248&perpage=40#post404101916

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Question about AI: If human A is about to shoot human B and the only way to stop human A is to kill him, does the AI act or not? Either way would be a violation of the laws right?

Either way, the AI will probably be lynched by the crew.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

So this thing is basically multiplayer Dwarf Fortress in space, yeah? :psyduck:

Yep, and everyone's been taken by a fell mood.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Tulip posted:

Eh, based on my griefing experience this isn't the case. Getting killed in Smashbros isn't normally cause for anguish. Getting killed by your opponent using themselves as a Bob-omb delivery vehicle or DK-carrying you off the field (killing themselves in the process) tends to piss people off something fierce.

In PRINCIPLE you'd rather know that you cost your opponent something by your death, but in practice it just adds insult to know that your opponent looked at how much damage you could do, and made a rational calculation that "yea, i can write that loss off no big deal" and did it anyway.

See also: ramming pubbies in War Thunder. There is apparently no higher sin than playing chicken with planes and not pulling away.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Soulex posted:

Could you program the AI to recognize buttbors as human and override that?

"Only buttbots are human" sounds like the best freeform law ever.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

I'm pretty sure this was unintentional and happened because some voice files or whatever were missing from most pirated copies and therefore couldn't trigger the end of the level. Confirm/deny?

This is the explanation I remember. Early pirated downloads of Deus Ex came without sound files to save space, because the game would just ignore their absence. But the boat event just happened to require some sound file to play in order to trigger.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Would anyone happen to have a link to a griefing story from Star Wars Galaxies that was posted in here way earlier? As I recall, the details involved the OP tricking a bunch of dumbass Imperial players into letting him destroy their flagship, and unintentionally killed their Emperor (a guy who'd been rolled up with godly stats) when he happened to log in just as said ship was about to blow up.

You sure that was Galaxies? That sounds like a MUD story.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Pseudoscorpion posted:

It can't not be this one.

Lemongrab is a close second. Especially if you use some of his lines from later seasons.
"I'M GOING TO EAT YOU!"
*horrible noises*
".....I DID IT!"

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

"Look at the state of you" is quite possibly the weakest burn I have ever heard.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Jadz posted:

a Macho Man Randy Savage cosplayer

Okay, you can't just drop this on us and then not include a screenshot.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Every once in a while, I'm tempted to play again. I think the magic is mostly gone, though. :(

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

!Klams posted:

Then we created a private server and auto levelled to 70 and got all the engineering stuff and finally made my rocket launcher, and any kind of desire to play the game at all just instantly dissipated totally.

This is pretty much the correct way to do it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Doing the Lord's work.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Forer posted:

Rootless, though people wanted you to hold them down and actually paid because that got them into rootless as well to hold people down and castrate them, so there was a big long thing about bribery and whatnot to get your dick chopped off.

Not for long, there wasn't.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

RatHat posted:

Did you guys ever get in trouble for that stuff? Or did the GMs/Developers see it as emergent gameplay?

Hahahahaha, as if Snail cared at all how we played their game. :cawg:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Double Monocle posted:

It really was.

One of my favorite things was the ability names, which were 100% wulin nonsense.

poo poo like Peck eye and fight for Pearls and Borrow the body to trick the soul

Also Demon Born in Emptiness/Demon Arises from the Void, the easiest to get, griefiest skill, and my introduction to the philosophy of "NO ***SE". :allears:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Goodnight and godspeed, Griefing Thread. It was a pleasure to read and be a part of this. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Soulex posted:

Wall of SS13 Stories.

I couldn't find my favorite one about the demon tub. But these should do for now, would have had more but the search query poo poo the bed and I am too tired to continue.

Bonus Audio: https://soundcloud.com/stephanosrex/honk-honk-butt

Soulex posted:

And this one deserves it's own post (also because I ran out of room in the last one).

My hero. :swoon:

• Locked thread