Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Taliesyn posted:

On a side note, considering what reckoning was once capable of, a 5-stack never did seem really 'bomb'-ish to me.
A much smaller bomb than it was pre-nerf but it was still the most exciting thing about playing Ret so I don't blame them for holding onto the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't WoW Warlocks' Doomguard summon used to kill one of the people assisting in the summons?
Not only could you initially easily trick lowbies into helping you summon it and get one of them killed, it summoned hostile with a lot of threat on you so you'd kite it into a lowbie town so the guards aggrod, banish it and then run away until you dropped combat - the guards would stay on it for the whole banish duration and then it would start killing them and running amok in the town until someone killed it.

I also miss seeing people kiting the world bosses back to major towns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

greatn posted:

Why would being in an undeveloped zone be grounds for a ban in WoW? It's like that planet in the Star Trek episode "The Cage" which the penalty for going to is DEATH.
Being in an undeveloped zone is de facto proof you've broken the terms of service because exploiting errors in their design (such as walls not quite steep enough that you can't repetitively jump up them, or being able to res your body behind a grating) is explicitly against the terms of service.

For instance, I once got a warning for standing on a building shooting people because at no point during game development did Blizzard realise people would do that so they didn't hand out guns to the town guards. (Now guards have guns to knock you off buildings and deal melee damage in the hundred thousand range)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Diplomaticus posted:

There is a cloaking device that you can buy at level 1 for 1000 zen, which is $10 USD. It has unlimited duration, with a like 5-10 second cooldown after you drop the cloak. So you can run around all over the map nearly invisible, without worrying that your cloak will drop.
You're still visible in wallhack mode though, so the only people you can really grief with it are idiots who don't know that and idiots who don't check it obsessively whenever they're not firing a gun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That's pretty much the exact mechanic behind quick-scoping in Call of Duty except without the having to stop moving.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

If they're loving with you, a call to their local cops will more than likely make sure that they never pull that kind of poo poo again.
If they aren't loving with you then you can justify it as a win-win grief of their suicide attempt.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Splicer posted:

His stuff is almost as good as that TF2 grief where you shoot people on the opposing team until they die.
In the Call of Duty community this is properly recognised as hacking rather than griefing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes, it was $10.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

are you telling me people paid ten dollars to watch other people play a free videogame?
At least $10. That was the ticket price for a single playoff day in a 3-day event, and tickets for the finals (in a different venue) were up to $70 depending on your seating.

eSports! The future of sports!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Trivial Fursuit posted:

I got hit by the "WoW-nuke" when I was just idling in one of the cities, didn't even get a repair bill. Literally just cost me the 20-30 seconds it took to run back to my corpse.
If you get killed once.
If you are killed repeatedly you start incurring a time penalty to picking up your corpse that caps out at two minutes after like 3-4 deaths. I imagine most of the resulting rage is from people who did exactly what you did, picked up their body, and then got killed again - repeating that over and over until they were waiting two minutes for the privilege of getting killed because they just were too stupid not to.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Endorph posted:

A bigger problem with the hacking death cities is that, if the hackers are doing it on every major city, there's literally no way to accomplish basic tasks.
Basic tasks like questing, running dungeons or otherwise exploring the other 99% of the game's landscape that isn't fart-assing around in a major city.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Endorph posted:

Yeah but there's poo poo you can only do in a city, like auction house stuff. If they had the cities locked down for hours, that'd be a huge pain.
There's dozens of trainers in alternative locations, mailboxes in every shanty town, and you can access the auction house from virtually any smart phone without even being logged in. On top of all that you can go "well poo poo" and take a break from the game without missing the action of being killed over and over in a place that does nothing but serve as a convenient hub for all the above.

vvv speaking of the current hack, not the previous events which weren't hacks

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 9, 2012

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm going to be honest, I skimmed the Mechwarrior thread thinking I'd start playing it and it took me ages to twig what was wrong with the instructions about entering third person camera and why people kept laughing about it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

my pog boyfriend posted:

After changing my RP job in Garry's Mod to "#1 boxer"

Dillbag posted:

I have to side with TheSpiritFox on this one. MPB didn't even mention the name of the loving game he was doing his "griefing" in.
I believe that, despite all the evidence, you may be too stupid to post.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yes I did. I was too busy reading his post further up the page that contains exactly the same information.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Having a field of meatshields distracting and damaging the enemy players also handily disguises how completely terrible you actually are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Orv posted:

"An FPS where you play by sound" is a perfect Molydeux tweet.
Nah, that's just a mod for Quake or an iOS game. A real Molydeux tweet is

Molydeux posted:

I also love the idea of playing a character who is PRETENDING to be blind, so you have to keep bumping into things to not arouse suspicion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Indecisive posted:

It's not really anything to do with griefing, it's a term that refers to the typical MMO activity of playing for very long periods of time. The implication being they poop into socks so they don't leave the computer. Which is a bit baffling frankly, because pooping into a sock can't be easy, wouldn't you need both hands?
It's less about having your hands free and more about not having to leave your desk.

At this point it seems to have collapsed into just a derogatory term for someone who plays one game to almost exclusivity - I've even heard it in Call of Duty which is weird because while it's a game you can get better in with proper practice, you still need a more than superficial understanding of the game mechanics and have good natural reactions with almost all of the skill you build is transferable to and from any other competitive FPS, so being good at it isn't a linear line of "I can spend more time playing this game than you so I am always better" like stat-based MMOs are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Comic posted:

Pretty sure those games have level up and gain new weapons/skills systems that you have to play a whole lot to fully get.
They do, but it takes you like a week or two of casual playing to unlock everything, and almost all of the starting guns are completely fine if you're actually good. I always go Prestige at max level because I like unlocking things, but being reset to level 1 doesn't affect where I place on the scoreboard, and a lot of people never do it because they'd miss having everything available to them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wild T posted:

Another little easter egg on that map is simply magical, and unknown to many players. In most objective modes, there will be a capture point right in a central portion of the boat; Point B. Point B is covered by a very small hut, providing marginal cover from two-story structures on both sides that are magnets for snipers and machine gunners. In objective modes, the more players on one team that get within range, the faster the objective is accomplished, meaning teams tend to crowd into the points. Then someone discovered this trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqeWSd6f4U

There turned out to be two small vents in a (mostly) secluded area of the map that allow you to toss in a frag grenade, which will bounce up and roll out perfectly in the center of Point B. Since Call of Duty maps tend to have very little in the way of dynamic map interactions, getting kills through these vents will consistently get you hate mail, accusing you of wallhacking with hand grenades.
Oh man, that's awesome - I'd never even noticed those were there so I was just LMG wall-banging the downstairs from the catwalk which is less reliable because of the pillars in the room.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I personally might draw the line at making children cry. Anyone that sounds over 12 is fair game and all, because preteens and teenagers need to be brought down a peg.
The most difficult grief of all is the preteen over 12.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Other great hits include walking in front of friendly sentry guns, picking up friendly grenades, and the old classic, blocking door ways. The game is so fast paced it really isn't much of a set back, you just join another game, but its a special griefing when you punish friendly's for doing nothing wrong.
By far the best friendly-fire grief I've found is when you accidentally TK someone because like an idiot they ran in front of you while you were firing (ridiculously common) then come back and TK you in 'revenge' - that's 1 kill out of the way, and you know they're mad - from there you just make it your duty to get in front of them at all times. Bonus points if they're sniping because you can then just prone in front of them forcing them to get up and move or just rage away on the mic. Most of the time just doing that makes them so mad they'll TK you on purpose until they get booted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I played on an RP server for a brief while and the only RP I saw was a character advertising in Trade channel to cybersex with someone for gold. They were specific about where to meet them, and I think the Hunter pictured below said "alright" in Trade as well, so I went over to try and spoil it for them in third-wheel tradition. Little did I know it was actually an RP sting, leading to this screenshot which capped off a minutes-long yelling session between the two.

On his way out the Hunter noticed me and offered to duel me as well, but his e-honour was never restored.

I did have the wonderful occasion of destroying an RP wedding twice in one day, but that was on an actual PvP server rather than RP-PvP.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

If I read it right, he was sneaking hoping to get a peek at some awkward e-sex. Only instead of a lady turning up, it was her enraged e-husband.
More hoping to make it extra awkward by uninvitedly joining in and generally ruining it for them - the lady was there (you can't see her from that shot's vantage point), but the enraged e-husband turned up as she was *takes off my bodice* emoting.

I was there hoping to grief some RP, but it turned out the RP itself was to grief cyber-johns and funnier than anything I could've come up with to ruin the moment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I don't really understand why someone will buy a server and promptly host only ONE map to play. To me playing on a server not taking full advantage of the game's map set is griefing yourself. Then again, they do this with Call of Duty and every iteration of Nuketown for some reason. Pubbies in COD have even less attention span than Battlefield players though, so they want the smallest possible maps and people to shoot ASAP.

My friend complains all the time about how he plays Domination or Demolition in Black Ops 2 and literally nobody ever is trying to cap the points. Makes you wonder why they even have multiple game modes if everyone just treats it like deathmatch.
Nuketown is invariably because it's such a dense map that you can get a higher score/minute on it and CoD has such a ridiculous levelling system that unless you straight up hack it you'll be grinding epeen levels for months. Plus CoD is already fast-paced compared to Battlefield, and Nuketown and other similar small flat maps pump it further up into Quake-pace territory.

CoD has way too many game modes, but the issues with objective game modes are largely inherent to the design. The objectives are always in places that are easier to defend than take, of course, so taking an objective generally means putting yourself in a meatgrinder, which means losing out on your killstreaks, which means your k/d ratio goes down, which means you're objectively poo poo in the eyes of everyone playing because that's all that matters to them. The only reason they don't play Deathmatch instead is because they're actually pretty poo poo and need the objectives to give them easy campable kills.

CoD doesn't reward teamwork, so nobody plays in a team. I've seriously had people announce "I win" based entirely on their k/d ratio despite actually being third on their scoreboard and their team losing because nobody planted a bomb.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That is just so much gold.

Dude is so hypocritical about other people being fat nerds he might need to have a rethink of his sexuality.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Turn on auto captions.

You're welcome.
"This documentary isn't three seconds"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Don't you guys understand? Deep down, we're all descended from furries.
The internet: slow to move.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My favourite vote-kick was when my friend and I were doing Dungeon Finder dungeons in WoW (you queue up and it then matches you with other people so you have an easy party) - after sitting in the queue for about 45 minutes waiting for a tank we finally get one and right after everyone warps into the dungeon one of the DPS says "brb, it's my birthday" and leaves us twiddling our thumbs. After about five minutes of waiting I decided he's dead weight and initiated a vote-kick that passed. The reason given and for which everyone voted for was "Happy birthday".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ponzicar posted:

When I played TF2 regularly, it was more of a relaxed loving around than an e-honor thing. It's more games like the call of duties and counterstrikes where people start getting really serious about their k/d and "skills".
Its less of a thing to spontaneously melee in CoD not because people are more spergy about stats but mostly because it's a genuinely strong strategy to run around like an idiot Jack the Ripper so it's considered 'dishonorable' like all strong strats. I've seen people try to start a "snipers only" round but that only ever lasts for a minute or so before someone complains "quickscoping human being" because someone else is better snipers and everyone who was into it suddenly switches loadouts in case they catch the homosexual from computer guns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Male Man posted:

I'm always amazed when I see those videos how easily the cameraman can just run up to people from the side and stab them. Is the default field of view like 45 degrees or something?
In addition to it only being slightly larger than 45, it's not the default, it's the only field of view.

That said, you can do it pretty easily on the PC as well simply because a lot of players will camp and tunnel while completely disregarding any concepts such as 'look at the skulls near you' or 'check your minimap for dots'.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Please stop trying to convince each other the best way to play, the best way to play is the way you like to play. Imagine somebody said "I like kissing boys" and you are yelling at them like "I like kissing girls, what the hell is wrong with you" and then realize how insane you are all being about demanding people play a game the exact way you like to play it.
gaymarriage.arg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You're absolutely correct, although you probably aren't referencing Duchamp.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ in the sense that someone wrote that? Yes.

Ariong posted:

More specifically, it's called that because it's a weapon that doesn't require much skill but can still get a reasonable amount of kills, thus making the perfect weapon for new people who are still learning how the game works and how the maps are laid out and stuff like that. However, once you've accumulated some skills you're better off switching to one of the higher skill weapons. It's quite good game design, giving new players an option to be reasonably effective without being so effective that they won't move on to a new strategy. However, it's that very low-skill mid-reward aspect of it that makes a lot of assholes really mad when you get "cheap" kills with it.
This is the stupidest poo poo. Like really.

Cojawfee posted:

Notice how the guy in that one video said "use a sniper rifle you human being." He thinks using a sniper rifle takes the most skill to get points with. He honestly believes that someone will look up his stats, see his points, then look at what weapon he used to get most of those points and say "Wow, all that with a sniper rifle? This guy is better than Jeff K himself!"
Everyone in CoD thinks the sniper rifle is the apex of skill because you point it at a guy at any range and pull the trigger and they die, but most of the time you only get one chance to pull that trigger. Apparently this takes a lot more skill than using a gun that can't kill in one hit, has to deal with recoil, has range limitations and requires reloading more often; one that shoots in an arc and requires you to eyeball trajectory on anything further than a few metres away; or, even one that is also a one-shot kill that doesn't have to deal with recoil or reloading but requires you to somehow get right up next to everyone else to use it.
The truth is that they all require skill to use effectively.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ponzicar posted:

There does seem to be a mentality in Call of Duty players that you're apparently not allowed to use the vast majority of weapons, gadgets, perks, and attachments because they "require no skill" or are cheap or whatever. Want to know if something is on the list of dishonorable things? Do well in a match with anything that's not an SMG or assault rifle. The losing players will be very quick to inform you how bad you are at the game.
The good thing is that most CoD players are fairly unanimous in how they 'tier' the weapons that are bullshit and no-skill so my favourite thing to do when someone complains about me being poo poo for using, say, an LMG ("LMG noob") is to just switch to something even worse ("Scorp human being") and so on until my noob weapons enrage them into switching to a noob weapon themselves - and they always have a loadout ready! - in an attempt to stop dying.
Then I call them out for being poo poo and instead of learning a lesson they ragequit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WetSpink posted:

You can use commands to output any text to your chat window in any color to make it look like anything happened.
Blizzard logs literally every chat channel, including custom private ones, though so they can easily verify that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

When I was playing I pretty much knew nobody that raided with their sound turned on. Even without being spammed raid warnings the sheer number of spell effects and hit sounds going on made it impossible to listen to your voice chat, hear the Deadly Boss Mods warnings that were actually important, or watch an episode of Night Court because you're in LFR so you don't care what's going on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's not like the guy is dead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Novum posted:

Wow, you guys seriously murdered that game. So if I'm understanding this right you dragged the game out for 78 kills on your own? Not to mention the other guy who came in a very close 3rd in overall kills.
To put it in perspective, a perfect Gun Game requires only 20 kills to win.

That's a ridiculous amount of mode fuckery on a map that's got a lot of open space and has two spawn points that face each other from across the map and can be mutually spawn farmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't follow. Why is saying "easy" at any point during a game being an rear end in a top hat, let alone something you get reported and banned from a game for doing so?

This is important because I don't want to get banned from CoD for my [2ezy] clan.

• Locked thread