Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Mash posted:

DayZ: Can I Add You To Facebook?

I play DayZ with a Swede, and those are what he would call stone children, or sten barn, they're pretty easy to gently caress with.

He found a group of swedish youngsters, buddied up with them with the intent of betraying them (he hates swedish people's insistence that they always speak swedish), we went on an adventure for hours to gain their trust, and ended up at the prison island, where we had a dutch guy ambush them as we turned on them from behind.

Still play with them every now and then, they're alright, if culturally weird.

I also was subject to contact info request from nearly a dozen babbling sten barn, but we keep going on adventures and betraying them, so it all works out.

Somehow they haven't figured out that I'm never in sight when the most annoying one dies first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I desperately want to know the etymology of this phrase now.

As far as I know, it's idiot, or moron, or some other comparable phrase.

IE: "As dumb as if your head was full of rocks"

It's one of my few know phrases along with söder, fitta, and neger.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Croberts68 posted:

gently caress I love griefing

And I loved reading about it.

Holy poo poo.

Croberts68 posted:

But then the dreams started. I kept having this nightmare where it starts off awesome, I'm banging some coked out 19 year old starlet on a space yacht, but then the space-IRS shows up with my wife, they use her cheekbones to cut through my hull and they tell me I'm going to jail for spaceship-fraud.

Hands down best line.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Last time I checked sometime last year, SC had raised something like 56 million.

I can only wonder how much it has raised right now, and to me, that's the true grief. Me not caring enough to know how much nerds have been scammed.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Baby rape is kinda hosed up, but that tone is one I well recognize.

Were he able to, that Australian dude would have straight up murdered him. The fact that he was utterly powerless in his own home is great.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

!Klams posted:

I find it so hard to understand these peoples reactions. Like, if it were real life, and someone went 0-60 mental in under 1 second like that, you'd think there was something wrong with them, but like, its just the internet, its not even real. How can your grasp of reality be that weak that you genuinely believe that getting angry and yelling at the internet is a thing that makes any sense? Let alone is going to bend to your will through sheer vehemence of anger?

It's a bit like watching a Louis Theroux documentary, it's just so fascinating that there are these people out there who's world is SO fundamentally different to mine. I don't know about you guys (which is exactly the point I'm making, incidentally) but I sometimes in a narcissistic way feel like everyone out there is fundamentally similar, and through reasoning you could reach the same conclusions, but, its just not the case is it? That's really what makes these griefing vids so great for me, its not just the Schadenfreude, but also the bizarre wonderment of the 'other', kind of like being at a zoo. Only I guess going around poking the exhibits with a stick.

I know exactly what you mean. I generally trip up with expecting people to be rational and reasonable, and I treat them as such, and then people look at me like I'm the goon in the room (I am).

If you love that feel, check out the tumblrisms videos on youtube. That feel times a thousand.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Or people could not buy lovely batman games to begin with.

But maybe that's the grief: Batman, but terrible.

Look at the nerds cry.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's people like that that are completely unable to participate and enjoy the multiplayer experience.

Raised on singleplayer, it cannot understand that it will not win every single fight, and that there are other players that are better than it.

It is a fat, bloated, giant 12 year old confined to a house with no input but it's own continued, repeated failure.

It's amazing. :allears:

Edit: Holy poo poo he just keeps going.

Round and round the crazy coaster, like his fat head.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 22, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

... goons ransacking their apartments and eating all their hundreds of dinosaur toys ...

Hell, I'll see if I can dig up some of the older stories because there were some really good ones.

Please tell me about this one.

EDIT: Grenade apples are a classic

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The best grief is when you make make dumb choices in videogames, and then are the griefee, not the griefer.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Derek has SC locked down tight.

Is that a grief?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That's loving amazing.

Is linden labs ever gonna make a second life 2: redux?

Cause their poo poo is dated, and they could probably make a much better version with enforced scripting standards if they wanted. Like, what's their business plan, just endlessly ride the wave of pathetics until there is no more to be had?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm. It's actually kind of sad, all that creaky old hardware, and all those creaky old people having creaky old furry roleplay cybersex. Goonspeed W-hat people, you bring content to these peoples lives.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Truly, Rule 34 is a grief upon all of humanity.

The sad part being, most of humanity doesn't really seem to mind.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Aw gently caress, I would too.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Man, that poo poo is glorious.

China game sounds like fun.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So did he want a fancy dance move or a goose?

I am confused and amused at the same time.

Also, what is the ding to real monies conversion? Did he pay actual money for something?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That Never Winter Nights super sperg was a wonderful read.

I can only imagine the depression ensuing whence you realize that you have invested so much time and effort outsmarting a group of powerful morons, only for them to be completely unable to understand how and what you have done.

Truly, a sad tale, once all is said and done.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Fat Slave Leia dancing is the funniest thing.

The fact that they're bound by the game mechanics to enjoy it is just amazing.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you get mad, or even hold any sort of hope/faith in that situation?

I mean, were his parents killed by math or something, and as such he refuses to acknowledge this poo poo? I don't know much about that particular game or it's mechanics, but it seems to be an obvious outcome.

Is the arrogance of nerds that they can and must win all scenarios, regardless of facts, the real grief?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, amending statement:

Given that it was such a narrow margin of victory, it seems to me that his reaction was inverse.

If his chance of losing was narrow, and he lost, it would be understandable that you get all "WTF BRO" or whatever. It would be an unexpected outcome, hence the emotional reaction.

If your chance of winning is narrow, it is expected that you will lose and the outcome shouldn't drive you to rage. The outcome is expected, and as such should not be so... explosive.

His reaction is irrational, based on the probabilities of win/loss in the given scenario.

That said, you say the game is purposefully designed to elicit these reactions, so perhaps the expected response is appropriately inverted.

Who knows.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
PS2 was interesting, for the short time I played it.

I was never able to do really well because of my inexperience and general stupidity at the time.

However, this one time, I was joining an assault on a huge walled and shielded fortress, in which the attackers are not supposed to get vehicles inside due to tank traps and shields at the arches, but I somehow managed to use one of the gate sections to lever my sunder over the stanchion-barrier and set the sunder up inside, right outside the enemy central vehicle/player spawn redoubt.

The enemy quickly figured out where the sudden river of troops were coming from ("It's coming from inside the room!"), and sent a tank round the corner to blow us up, but the constantly respawning waves of engineers were able to out-repair the tank damage, and the maxes were able to fight off the tanks as they kept coming one by one like sheep. Seeing as each tank blast killed a dozen or so troops with every blast, the medics were having a field day running around and performing mass triage behind the sunder, and I swear I heard roleplay. It also didn't help the enemy that part of their inner structure was like a large step behind us, so all the engineers not engaged in repairing had set up all their turrets in a massive 20+ battery covering the entire 90 degree field of access where they could fire over the sunder and friendly troops.

The enemy infantry, exiting the shield and turning the corner to try and fight us off, would just be cut down en mass by the engineers and medics and had no chance.

In 20 minutes, I had gotten more sunder spawn exp than I had in weeks of offensive playing, and I realized you really need a group to get anything done, more or less.

All in all, the setup didn't last very long once rocket spam started, but it was good while it lasted.

Edit: Does anyone know the story of the PS2 guys that found a way to lift Sunders on the backs of the Galaxy transports, and drop them on the giant bio domes?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Gay Prison is gold.

Jesus christ.

• Locked thread