Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Noah posted:

Or ESG funds are just a gimmick like organic for USDA foods.

Vanguard's ESG ETF has these 10 largest holdings for their portfolio:

Month-end 10 largest holdings
(27.70% of total net assets) as of 12/31/2020
1 Apple Inc.
2 Microsoft Corp.
3 Amazon.com Inc.
4 Alphabet Inc.
5 Facebook Inc.
6 Tesla Inc.
7 JPMorgan Chase & Co.
8 Visa Inc.
9 Procter & Gamble Co.
10 UnitedHealth Group Inc.

Ah yes, bastions of social responsibility.

That fund is essentially an index fund that excludes some companies, so it’s generally going to be the same top ten as any other US stock index fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I remember reading that hedge funds that were unsuccessful would just shut down, return everyone’s money, and reopen under a new name, because the past losses were just a drag on their performance numbers even if they turned things around. Do actively managed mutual funds ever do that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I unexpectedly got a “retention” stock bonus this year, vested over four years. I assume this falls under the same theory of ESPP and I should sell as soon as I am able?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the benefit of using freetaxusa over any of the other free ones? Like they will all give me the same amount of money back right?

The other ones on the IRS page aren’t free for federal if you make too much, unlike freetaxusa.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Used to be much easier when Admiral funds were all $50k or more. A bit silly to even have the concept when the limit is $3k.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone have a retirement calculator that they like better than just googling “retirement calculator”?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

QQ if I sold ISO and ESPP shares this year the profit of the sale factors into my AGI for 2021 correct?

If so then with my promotion I am definitely over some income limits.

Even better, at a certain point, new taxes materialize:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-on-the-net-investment-income-tax

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, Vanguard charges low fees because they are customer owned. Fidelity charges low fees to compete with Vanguard.

Practically, either way you are paying low fees. Beyond that, it’s a personal decision.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Is this like $500/250 thousand? I appreciate this is what you're all discussing but wow that is incredibly low. I had a check and my car is 100m chf ($110m) cover.

I mean, paying 400 to get 110M coverage is pretty wacky too and implies there is some other factor that makes paying out that much incredibly unlikely, like capped lawsuit payouts.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The problem I ran into several years ago was that various levels of bank employee were allowed to provide signature guarantees at various dollar amounts and the Treasury Direct form doesn’t have a dollar amount so they wouldn’t touch it.

Yeah this is stupid.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the new Vanguard iPhone app, how do you just buy $1000 of a fund with money transferred from a bank account? This is the only thing I do and I can’t figure out how to do it one step.

It looks like now it wants you to do the funds transfer into your settlement account separately from buying the fund. Not a big deal and you don’t have to wait in between but seems dumb.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Velius posted:

Yeah, I probably shouldn’t blame the union but it feels like this sort of thing doesn’t happen if multiple parties aren’t on board with loving over the employees of the future.

It’s been going on for decades at this point. In Connecticut, to be in the Tier 1 pension you had to be hired before 1984. That was the 2% at age 55 with 25 years of service plan, which has run a deficit forever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

… but refuse to sell anything because then you will owe taxes on the gains.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The proposed increase in the long term capital gains to 25% is currently out. It was also planned to be retroactive back to September 2021.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do 25 year old EE bonds count as long term investing? Man, that has to be the worst way to turn $50 into $100. Earning 0.75% interest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aha, I did not realize that they were guaranteed to double so yes that isn’t bad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Note that the tax return ones are paper ones, not in Treasury Direct. They are pretty cool looking although less convenient.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also came up recently because they only announced the 7.12% rate on November 1. Previous six months it had been 3.54% which wasn’t too exciting given all the savings bond caveats.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, that makes a lot of sense actually.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That fund is:

55% VTSAX, up 26% over 1y
35% VTIAX, up 10%
10% various bond funds which are probably even or negative

So yeah, would have needed to sell a decent amount of VTSAX to rebalance. Not sure when they do that exactly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CubicalSucrose posted:

I asked my CPA for a reco, but he didn't have any good ones. Started Googling. Found one I liked, was like $3k for a trust, medical power of attorney, financial power of attorney. And easy to talk with. From discussions with friends and family since then, I probably could've found someone for about $1500 if I really worked for it.
The trust is to avoid probate, right? So it’s almost like prepaying the fees you would otherwise have to pay to an executor.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

ESG funds are a scam, yeah? Looking at the top ten holdings of Vanguard's social index fund and it's nearly identical to the holdings of VTSAX.

It's not a scam per se but most of them are not "invest in good companies" but rather "do not invest in bad companies." And there are very few bad companies.

Also personally I'm not sure that ESG + index go well together. Feels like you start to need a lot of human judgement once you start rating companies on non-financial factors.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Matt Levine had a good bit recently about ESG:

quote:

You could have a model of environmental, social and governance investing in which:

1) There are ESG investors who own virtuous assets and do virtuous things with them, and
2)There are non-ESG investors who own evil assets and do evil things with them.

As an ESG investors, you can feel virtuous about this, but you might also worry about its effect on the world. Sure you aren’t funding evil, but evil is getting funded. If the evil assets are in evil hands, they will be used for more evil. Isn’t it better for ESG investors to own the evil assets and do virtuous things with them?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Personally, I think it’s still worth suggesting Vanguard to new investors. It’s VERY easy to go to Fidelity and buy their Target 2040 fund with a 0.75% expense ratio (FFFFX) because you missed the word “index” in the name.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have to say that the theory of diversification is bit hard to take when you realize the percentage of your portfolio in bonds literally lost money in the last 12 months.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think for me it’s just better when it’s mixed in with a target date fund and you don’t see the bad performing part. Purely psychological of course.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drk posted:

Not terrible for someone who highly values instant access to their money via ATM or Debit card, but for funds that are unlikely to be needed in less than a few days or so, its not great.

Practically speaking, having a linked checking and savings at some place like Ally is sufficient for this. Transfers to checking are instant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Harry posted:

Marcus and Ally usually do new funds deposit bonuses so one of each will usually net you a couple of hundred dollars every year. I would wait until Marcus is running a promotion to open an account though.

Looks like the promo is generally 1% of funds deposited and you have to keep the funds there for a few months.

Personally I don’t mind chasing sign up bonuses on credit cards but bank and brokerage accounts can be a pain. You are moving large amounts of your own money around which goes wrong sometimes and requires “dealing with it” which I don’t like.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just add “US” to the start of the thread title.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They liquidated the liquidity fund, hehe.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Spent a bit of time today trying to get better records sorted out for my very long-lived taxable investments at Vanguard that include some non-covered stuff from before 2012.

Really regretting that one year I set all my dividends and capital gains from all my funds to reinvest in VTSAX.

Also love how Vanguard has 20+ years of records but the data varied over the years and they never cleaned it up. Like funds have different identifiers before and after they converted people to brokerage accounts. Or like how reinvested dividends used to be in the "Dividend" category with a purchase amount and price, but now they are in the "Reinvestment" category and "Dividend" is just the ones you took as cash.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Space Fish posted:

For comparison's sake, the only funds I use from my own workplace's fund menu are S&P 500 and US small cap index funds due to all the rest having higher ER, and it took me several months to hold my nose and include a EuroPacific fund with a 0.46 ER.
Yeah, at my wife’s small employer, the only decent ER is for the S&P 500 fund so we just go all in on that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Two people, no kids, 9 nights, airfare to and from Maui from the west coast was about $12k

That's 5 days of Vacation from a work time off perspective. If you get 20 days of vacation a year you're on track for ~$50k a year on vacations easy. Got kids? Add 50%-100%

That's why everyone at my job takes off the second half of December, because they can't afford the vacations to use their vacation days.

Not that taking four nine-day vacations a year seems necessary... that's a lot of travelling.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone read a good article on the potential new changes to 401k plans that congress is talking about?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're just changing the defaults, employees can still do whatever.

Also existing plans don’t have to do it at all, so it will take effect very slowly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume that the cost to the employer is reduced by having high fee funds. And then they have a single S&P 500 fund that is reasonable so they can point the complainers to it.

Edit: Checked my wife’s plan and the fees for her BlackRock S&P 500 Index is 0.14 and all the target retirement ones are around 0.90 and a few other ones get down to 0.65. So we are all in on the cheap one and diversify elsewhere.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

Is there another term besides mega backdoor? We switched retirement providers and I will have access to Roth and Traditional 401k space. I’m curious if there’s other language to describe it I should look for when I read their docs, or if the retirement management company would call it that.

We have Principal Financial (who bought out Wells Fargo Retirement) and they call it Super Roth. It’s a checkbox in the after-tax election section.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Vanguard sweep money market fund has a better return rate than my Ally HYSA. Has that always been the case?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MrLogan posted:

I still get mad that Boomers cut social security by 16% for later generations, but not themselves.

The thread was just chatting about defined benefit pensions and those are the worst for this, especially unions that have to vote on any changes. Our state has like five tiers of pensions over the years, decreasing in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it typical that the target date funds for a 401K at a Fortune 500 company would have 0.3-0.4% fees? Feels like someone is making a lot of money just to rebalance since the underlying index funds are like 0.02-0.04%.