Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I took a picture of my desk the day I started here. I've cleaned up a bit since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Digital War posted:

I really need to get a new desk chair, using a dining chair is not doing me any favours.

Be a nice guy and use a coaster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jassi007 posted:

RED

My retinas!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Looks like an X220 or maybe an X120/121e

I think it's an X60 based on the screen ratio and trackpoint button area

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My desk is by the window. Well, my old desk, that's our old office. 4 developers stuffed into that picture (other two are behind that partition wall) and 3 more in the room to the left. gently caress my old chair, too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mr_Person posted:

How does that not cause insane levels of eye strain? Especially for the other guy, who seems to have a window directly behind him.
I think before, I sat so close to my monitor it didn't really matter what was behind it. Who knows. This is what my cube in the new office looks like. I only use half of it for some reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Modern Pragmatist posted:

If you think about it, it's not really much worse than using a trackpad on a laptop.

Moving a whole mouse is different than just moving your thumb (or swiping fingers these days)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pweller posted:

Is that some sort of triple monitor mount? If so do you have a name/link for that?

Ergotron makes a couple but they work best with smaller, older monitors

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-Triple-Display-Stand-Black/dp/B000E9VF1U

They aren't cheap either.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Elos posted:

Portrait 22" owns by the way.

I tried it but the viewing angles didn't work. Plus I think it was weird because of the font anti-aliasing (OS X). I'm using a Viewsonic VG2236wm-LED

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

krnhotwings posted:

Do your arms ever cramp up 'cause of that keyboard (especially in a work environment)? As much as I love Apple products, their input device designs have always been very unergonomic-looking, so I stray away from them.

That keyboard is drat fine. I wish I had the numpad-less one so it would be exactly like my laptops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pweller posted:

My biggest gripe with the apple keyboards is that the edges can be razor sharp, which can gash into your wrists really good when reaching down to the Ctrl keys.

Mine is that the texture on the aluminum 'scrapes' the tips of my fingernails. It's fine unless I get goony and don't cut my nails for over a week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

I don't think I ever even touch the metal part of the keyboard...

I don't do it with every keypress or anything but it happens every once in a while

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

muskrat posted:

- Headset is Corsair HS-1
- Keyboard is Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
- Mouse is Razer DeathAdder
- Monitors are ASUS VW246H
- Speakers are Logitech Z-2300

What kind of cocoa?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

muskrat posted:

Nice eye. Unfortunately nothing fancy, Nestle or Swiss Miss I think (can't remember what it was).

Swiss Miss? Scrub.

You're going have to just fill the cup with marshmallows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Samaurai sword, popcorn tin...

Sorry, I was just browsing through 3DRealms Legacy Interviews and just had to share. They have a lot of late 1990's/early 2000's office photos.

http://www.3drealms.com/legacy.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WorkingStiff posted:

His & Her Vika's both warping from monitor weight. Going to just get one long butcher-block top next time Ikea has them in stock.

Do you guys both use those computers at the same time? How does it not turn into one person distracting the other all the time?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

glompix posted:

Keyboard trays are never worth a drat. Show off that sweet keyboard!

I'll take a pencil-drawer over a keyboard tray any day of the week. Great for keeping poo poo off your desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

You must be kidding. You'd lose space to work on, and it would be less useful.
If anything, you'd want a third 24" so you could run eyefinity. Definitely not a single.

Actually...

1 30" is 4,096,000 pixels, and 1 24" is 2,304,000 pixels, 1 newer monitor is 2,073,600

That's 256x1600, 1920x1200, and 1920x1080 resolutions.

So a 30" basically has the same number of pixels as 2 'current' big monitors, and 88% of the space of 2 of the old-style 24" monitors. When your desktop is split up you 'lose' space at the edges so it usually ends up about the same.

Dual monitors can be a little easier to divide your apps ups (mail/chat on one, something else on the other...) but with one big monitor you don't have the annoying bezels to deal with and you have a potentially bigger space - You'd have to stack smaller monitors to get 1600 pixels of height that you'd get with a 30".

Depending on what you're working with you might be better off with the 30". Then again, you can get two 1080 wide screens for $100 each, and that's hard to beat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Where?

21" Acer @ Best Buy - $89

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+21.5%22+Flat-Panel+LCD+Monitor/2596077.p?id=1218338417745&skuId=2596077

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Misogynist posted:

I ran 1680x1050 on 20" widescreens pretty comfortably for a number of years.

That's 'grandma big'.

For a desktop, I find 100-110 ppi pretty comfortable, since they are usually farther away. On a laptop I can tolerate 125-140 ppi.

So 1080p on a 21-22" screen is pretty ideal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We had this giant cutting/stamping machine that ran a DOS app under Window 95 or 98, and they wanted something big enough so you could see it across the plant floor.

So we bought the cheapest 46" LCD TV with VGA input we could find and hooked it up. 640x480 with bonus loving 80x25 character mode for the setup screens.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

What did the display output that people wanted to read it across the floor? Things like process % complete or ON/OFF or something?

Job number, how many parts were left to cut, crap that would probably been better off on a neat scrolling LED display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It works, pretty much all there is to say.

My grandma is better at resizing images than you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I typically call Best Buy, get a quote, and divide by 4.

I take a Best Buy quote, say "Those guys don't know what they're doing" and charge the same.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks to backgrounds switching every 5 minutes, Jack pops up once in a while to distract me from work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mattfl posted:

Did someone say ikea furniture?

Finally got a new desk for my house.

Next thing to buy is 24" or 27" monitor to hook the MBA up too.

Use the fat powercord that's in your Macbook Air box and connect it to your powerstrip, then connect it to your charger. That way you don't have to crawl under your desk to unplug your computer when you leave the house.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It's not a $200 lamp is it? I remember some dude posted his $200 lamp in this thread before.

A $200 lamp.

Pff if you use it every day for 3 years that's like 20 cents a day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Siroc posted:

What desklamp is that above your left monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/IceLight-Silver-Daylight-Desk-Lamp/dp/B003BY0TEE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

coffeetable posted:

...no, it won't. When you dust something, the dust doesn't float around in the immediate vicinity indefinitely. It diffuses away and settles on other things.

It's still better to dust outside, but that's just so you don't have more dust on all your other poo poo than because it magically ends up back in the case if you don't.

VagueRant: invest in some dust filters for your inlets.

It gets sucked back in. I've air-canned computers out in my ofice before and by the end of the day all the dust gets sucked in the vents in the servers/switches in the next room over. Oops.

Do it outside or use a vac to suck it all up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Someone topped that goon who had that big Apple light in his office:

http://davidwu.me/my-apple-store-home-office/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kalix posted:

What do you use all those computers for?
There's only three.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Action Jackson! posted:

New desk at home:

What keyboard is that? I can't make out the logo

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You could fish it under the carpet too

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

McOgre posted:

Oh I like the idea of a second power supply. I will definitely steal that if I need to start bringing my laptop out with me.
Just get a second power cord, the one that plugs into the brick. That way you can leave that at your desk and just take the brick with you, and keep another cord in your bag at all times.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

iceslice posted:

I don't know where you can buy them but they make baskets that are like 2" deep, 2" wide and run at different lengths. You could relocate your gaggle of wires up to that, mounted at the back of your desk, running the length of the desk. Having them up just below the surface of the desk hides them pretty well, makes them easily accessible (after you untangle them), and you don't really have to do any work to set it up besides laying them back and forth to extend them out across the basket. I'll see if I can find an example, but it really is the lazy man's cable management.

Here is a good example: http://lifehacker.com/179911/hack-attack-the-cordless-workspace-sort-of?tag=softwareworkspaces

Even with the opaque desk, it should be far enough back that it'll look cleaner then on the floor. Especially if you find a smaller basket then whats in the link. That guy zip ties everything, but it works well if you just lay them in there.

Please don't use plastic zip ties. Get some velcro cable ties.

I'm all for cable management but you have to have the self-discipline to not rip all that poo poo apart when you're replacing one cable or something out of the bundle. When you get lazy with it, it goes downhill quick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kmart desk, lamp from Art Van, Staples chair with the arms removed, $100 Acer monitor, 13" rMBP and a Lenovo T400.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ganon posted:

They make special chairs for this problem :v:

Yea, that's his problem, he needs a special chair :btroll:

Actually, I take the arms off because they will ruin a cheap desk if you smack them together too many times.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Take a picture of the rack with the door open!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gnrk posted:

Really? What exactly consists of "a setup like this"?

5 for $100 mis-matched craigslist monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's also Anthro carts

http://www.anthro.com/solutions/computer-desks/adjustable-height/steves-station-standard/steves-station-standard#.UcpXEBVx2PI