Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hi, I've been bothering the old school pc rpg thread about an early 90s side-scrolling pc rpg that is most likely Zeliard. I remember playing Zeliard and it looks like it might be worth playing today.

I am trying to remember another, similar game that I swear is not Zeliard, but is still a side scrolling or single screen rpg from that era, so not any of the Wonder Boy games, which are still fun to play on emu.

I swear it was 'the only pc license of Zelda' even though I can't find any reference to it on Zelda sites, and Zelda apparently was never that sort of side-on game. It had storefronts and missions, so slightly more involved than Gods or Altered Beast or other more arcadey games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Trying to remember a game that was basically Total War: Rome except it came out long before Shogun, Rome and Medieval. The campaign map was around the Mediterranean coast, fighting barbarians and other Roman factions. Right now all I can find are TW and Caesar III etc.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Let's see, there's

-Centurion: Defender of Rome which is turn-based

Finally checked all the above and I think this is it, thanks!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Could it be this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_(1992_video_game)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Same setup, different game (I think? It's probably been 20 years).

Lightspeed or hyperspeed? Had the aliens and ship customisation except space sims.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Or Bitmap Brothers' Gods

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Strikes a note in my head but the best I can think of is imagining its an animation leading into the Lucasarts logo

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was it http://www.adultswim.com/games/pc-console/kingsway/

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

It was called Shogun, and I got the perspective completely messed up, it's viewed from the side, but you don't have to walk on the ground you can literally walk into the air.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I always meant to track it down again. I had this from a mail order rental company when I was like 10 and sent them back a blank/dead 5 1/4 floppy after messing up the disk copy. That and Sabateur 2.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Could be anything? I remember a family restaurant in the 80s that had a sit-down Galaga table, with controllers and coin slots on both seated sides.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

1) A game which I always thought was Wasteland 1 - EGA or early VGA, top down graphics, I think some kind of post apocalyptic mainly action/some rpg with guns and mutants.

2) Not a specific game but wondering if there are any arcadey driving games that a toddler could use an old usb steering wheel for - simple enough that turning all the way left will just end up on the left side of the road sort of thing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

For the first I don't think it was Fountain of Dreams, but thanks.

And I'll check out the recommendations thread for drivey games (with any force feedback off) so thanks also.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think that must be it, thanks! Wow its a Chris Roberts game, nice.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Looking for an 80's DOS program that was either a lovely game or some sort of demo or screensaver. It's just a fish tank with saltwater or tropical fish in it. I recall being able to choose the number of fish or something but nothing else. I suspect it may have just been an early screensaver.

Not just thinking of the fishbowls in Alley Cat? Fish were just a few pixels though I think.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I have never played it or even seen screen shots but wasn't Half Life's Natural Selection mod something like that?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Long shot but maybe The Adventures of Willy Beamish on a lower graphics setting?

Maybe ega Les Manley?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

World Tour Golf -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tour_Golf

Reading further:
Oh wow. drat :stare:

Speaking of, what was the EGA golf game that I chiefly remember for the sample of an extremely Leonard Nimoy voice exclaiming 'great shot Jim!' (I may be misremembering 'Jim' but the sample was so nimoy-ish its burnt into my head that way)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Your "Jim" memory might be from Links: The Challenge of Golf, which had "Looks like I hit the tree, Jim." Definitely not EGA, and definitely not very Nimoy, so probably not what you're looking for.

Thanks - this lead me back to World Class Leader Board which was apparently the 1988 precursor to 1990's Links, and used the exact same samples. Listening to it now, I kind of get where I got Nimoy from, as a dumb kid listening to samples being squeezed out the PC speaker.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Gynovore posted:

This reminds me of an ooooold interactive fiction game from a long time ago. All I remember is that you have multiple lives, and you *need* to die several times to beat it. Also, at one point you flush yourself down a toilet. Any ideas?

You're not scrambling up bits of Hitchhiker's Guide maybe? There's no toilet in it but

(Above reminds me of how I wasted months convinced as a 10 year old that Mr Prosser was a real estate agent and needed to waive his fee, based on the Guide's listing for intelligence for the screen door puzzle)

(The guide and encyclopaedia frobozzica were the best)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I had I think, dad had put me on to weekly reruns of the radio show. Zaphod's boat puzzle was the one other stumper I never got past until years later - I'd been relying on the local game-rentals-by-post service whose monthly newsletter meant at least a couple months turnaround on posting a question and someone else the answer.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think I had the same PC Gamer/Zone.My memory of playing it puts the demo at 94 but wiki says it was released in 95. Darker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmV3QhcRQvg

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 18, 2019

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A 90s shareware-era xenon/1942 type shooter I think, the memorable bit was the sample in the intro:

the last tree in the rainforest was cut down today. A spokesman for the Acme Toothpick Company said 'aww. That's too bad'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Shine posted:

Galactix

Thanks!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bring back Laser Squad, or rather make a lo fi star wars xcom because that's what young me imagined it was with all the references and whatnot.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

This is of no use to you but you reminded me of a Famous Grouse whiskey - branded shooting game that my ex gfs mum used to play in the 90s. She used to play that and Diablo, a cool mum.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Made me think of Ford Driving Simulator, where you could demo their early 80s range in glorious cga

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Which Sleeps, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingdinosaurgames/that-which-sleeps?ref=android_project_share

I was really keen on that one

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

The first one was a sidescrolling space-themed shooter, I'm pretty sure it had the cyan/magenta/white CGA palette and probably on a DOS system. I remember your ship could shoot a forward show or drop bombs to hit ground targets, and possibly also that the forward shot had a limited firing rate but the bombs didn't. I remember the graphics being pretty simple and clean - might have even been text-mode, come to think of it.

Just going to guess Sopwith1 or 2, because it still rules.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

that and barbarian (the duelling one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

did you see UQM just got a steam release. No big changes but that's nice.