Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Platform: original Xbox
Genre: third person action
Setting: sci-fi
Gameplay: You played a character that could switch between 3 forms. I think the first was human, the second a beast that was agile and stealthy, the third a ranged tank.

When I try to recall the name I keep thinking Dark Sector, but it definitely wasn't Dark Sector because that came a generation later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds like Alter Echo?

Aw yes, that was it! Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgAuffC9-IM

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Terminal Velocity was published by Apogee (later 3D Realms), but it was developed by Terminal Reality. And it seems they had a deal with Microsoft for 5 games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I’ll add Fire Power and Return Fire to the list of tank games, although I have no idea if they had split screen or lots of crazy weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4ngPXGGgw

Note: This game has tanks but the person playing keeps using a chopper for most of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJVkHpMpNWY

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

khy posted:

Point and click adventure game for PC, male main character. Definitely in the 90's, before 2000. Don't recall much but I do recall being stuck in a room or prison cell thing (Vague memories of it being all bluish), with a window you could climb out onto a ledge. Don't think it was a lucasarts game. I know that's not much to go on, I just can't recall any more details than that...

Normality?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I'm trying to remember a game that had several NPCs that said some quote that was like "Confound it! Where did I put that lever?" I'm pretty sure it was an action role playing game like Diablo.

Baldur’s Gate 1 had a lot of NPCs who repeated the same line over and over again. Maybe it was in that game?

Most notoriously an area with bandits who all go “so I kicked him in the head ‘til he was dead, nyahaha!” when they see you.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 1, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can stop and play tongue twisters in Lifeline and doing so successfully restores some health of the character you are talking to. Stuff like "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. ... If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?" I watched a streamer (Elajjaz) play it and he ended up downloading a voice recorder app for his phone and using that record the dozen or so phrases she had you say :thumbsup:

Edit: To clarify, he didn't record the character saying the phrases but HIM saying it so he could just heal up without effort.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 11, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Lufia?

It started with an intro that put you in some sort of final dungeon to fight a boss with an established party. That opening inspired the entirety of the second game, it was a prequel.

Edit: Probably Lufia II with your explanation on how it positions your party members during battles.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 18, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

PopetasticPerson posted:

It's a tower defense game for the PC where you controlled a hero, you could pick from 3 classes I think, warrior wizard and archer. They had talent trees and the towers had upgrade trees. I'm pretty sure it had dungeon in the title, I was convinced it was called Deathtrap Dungeon but that's something completely different. It looked somewhat similar to Diablo 2.

There is Dungeon Defenders, although it does not look like Diablo 2.

Edit: But Deathtrap does and it was based on a series of action RPGs.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 27, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

taiyoko posted:

A friend of mine is trying to remember the name of a game.

- Early to mid '90s first person FMV
- set in probably an asylum?
- villain is the main character's dad and MC's son is kidnapped by the villain

D ? Ask your friend if it was a game with a time limit, because then it is certainly D.

(no idea that Nightdive did a PC port of that BTW :monocle:)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Jeza posted:

Can anybody help me identify this game from these random loving bits and pieces?

- It came out in the early 2000s
- It was top down, but still 3D, so like Neverwinter Nights style or something
- It was set in a dystopian future/society
- The male protagonist had like...really short blond hair and round sunglasses that were orange maybe? Pretty sure his face was on the cover of the game or marketing materials.
- The game was themed around psychic abilities and combat
- There was definitely a set piece in which you are held captive in some Running Man-esque game show where the contestants answer questions and die if they get them wrong on broadcast.
- It is not a well-known or remembered game

I feel like the game title had something to do with Inferno/Infernal maybe? Certainly there was some pyrokinetic based powers. Maybe it just began with the letter I? Google is singularly unhelpful.

Wild guess: Sanity: Aiken's Artifact

It's probably incorrect, since you would likely remember that Ice-T voiced the main character.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You are welcome. Maybe Ice-T just plays a bigger role in my life that his involvement is synonymous with that game for me.

In the future there will be someone in this thread who has forgotten the title Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter and I'll be "oh, that the Henry Rollins game!".

Edit: And I totally missed the e;f,b until now lol

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 27, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

I remember seeing an image from either an old arcade game or a modern throwback that was just a text screen saying something like "Touch as much booty as you can! Kill the wizard when you see him!" and I was wondering what that was from. I can't find the image itself and searching those phrases does give me some pretty interesting results, but nothing that helps me figure out what it is.

The first time I saw that image was a tweet from @frankcifaldi, a man who knows his old video games. Turns out he replied with the name of the game to someone asking about it.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/414046756439982081

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHpZtNIDUI

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

seiferguy posted:

My girlfriend is describing a game to me that is a puzzle game that she played either on ps1 or ps2. It was a low budget puzzle bobble / bust a move style game but the bubbles shoot automatically but you control the wheel. Also, the characters have British accents. Does this ring a bell?

The British accents instantly make me think of Worms Blast.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If it had been an OG Xbox game it would have been Azurik.

Edit:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 4, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

I'm hoping this is an easy one.

Arcade game, side scrolling beat em up, one of the bosses is a half lady/half snake.

My friend just asked me if I remembered the name of it, I remember the game, but not the name. So anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Most likely an early 90s game.

Does the game involve the main character using their fists or weapons? That helps narrow it down.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I also played Yoda Stories for hours, although there was one tile that could appear on the jungle/Endor maps that I could never figure out. It involved a crashed space ship surrounded by trees. If I got that tile on a randomly generated mission I was going to be stuck at some point so I was forced to restart.

I bet I could find a longplay on Youtube right now that features it and find out that the solution was something really easy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

This game is not the one you are looking for, but I thought it deserved a mention while we are emptying this clown car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Laf5sjIbqUo

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That is Toribash.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

^^ I immediately though of Captain/Commander Blood, but that looks like the right suggestion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not looking for a certain game, but a specific collection of games. 10-12 games, all came on individual CD-ROMS with paper sleeves (so no jewel cases). I originally only remembered Dune (Cryo) and Commander Blood being part of them, but looking at Moby Games revealed that those were both published by Mindscape.

Looking at Mindscape's catalog I now remember it also had these games:
Metal Marines
MegaRace 2
Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins
D/Generation
Legions

But what was the name of this Mindscape collection, that was available in the Netherlands/Europe? What are the games I have forgotten about? The collections I have found about while looking online all seem to contain different titles. I feel like I am better off relying on someone else's memory than the internet at this point.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 27, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think it's amazing that you went through the effort of recreating that melody and then just got an answer within an hour.

Specifying the platform the game was on usually makes answering questions in this thread a lot easier, but still.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 24, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Here is a game that suddenly popped in my head:
Platform: PC
Genre: racing/action
Era: 1997-2002

You basically played a trucker on colonized planets. It had an open world structure where you could pick what kind of mission you would want: deliveries, racing or retrieving cargo from certain locations. You had weapons and they'd show up, cartoonishly large, hovering on the sides of your wheeled vehicle. The whole game was rather cartoonish, I guess it was still rather early 3D so they went for a exeggerated look where the people driving the vehicles where nowhere to be seen. One of the roving gangs of vehicles in the first area were cars with big sombreros, to really highlight that they were bandits going for your cargo. You had multiple planets to truck on, but I took me a while before I went to the second planet. I guess you either had to complete a certain amount of missions or I waited until had certain upgrades to my truck.

I think this game was made by European/Russian devs and it wasn't published by a big name.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 26, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I thought it would have a simple title, but I didn't think it would be that straight-forward. But yes, it was Trucks. Thank you.

Wow, 1997, eh? I think whoever made that video had trouble setting the game up, because I don't remember the performance being that bad. I didn't know how accurate me saying "early 3D" was tho, it looks really rough.

Edit: I'm glad I made the previous post instead of my usual method of searching at Mobygames. It doesn't even seem to have a page on there. This game must have been more obscure than I originally thought.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 26, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I played the shareware version of Warpath a lot, but there are several details in both of Zombie Squared posts that make me say it's not that game. They're describing gameplay details that does not fit an arcadey game like that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 20, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, that looks like it, thanks.

The Dragon Slayer family tree of video game (series) is wild: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Slayer_(series)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

FFT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPMYlXvsaJM

What was with all the games of that era (by which I mean like 1980-1995) using In the Hall of the Mountain King, anyway? Like sure, it was old enough to be free to use, but drat. A poo poo-ton of other music was too!

Outside of being public domain, it meant less time having to compose the music at a time when a lot of video games were made by small teams that were probably devoid of people who would normally write tunes. The songs were also recognizable with limited audio hardware, where any original compositions would just be random boops and bleeps to most people at the time.

I remember listening to a compilation of arcade music a decade ago and there were a lot of public domain songs and jingles. One of the sole exceptions was Haunted Castle, an early Castlevania game.

As a bonus here's the game that first introduced me to In the Hall of the Mountain King, the first Tiny Toons title for the Game Boy (starts at 9:35).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XzeUXVWeY&t=575s

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 15, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I was about to link https://www.mobygames.com/game/laser-squad-nemesis but I see there's the double e;f,b now that I'm replying, because this tab has been open for a while.

Edit: That was also quite descriptive compared to some of the questions that this thread gets, but hey, that's what the thread is for.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 17, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If it wasn't on PC I'd suggest Tech Romancer. If it wasn't all robots I'd suggest FX Fighter.

Edit: Zero Divide is a solid suggestion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The face getting skeletonized reminded me of Catacomb 3-D, but like the name implies that isn't sci-fi.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/3120/catacomb-3-d/

Or the "sequel" which offers various environments, but that one does away with the skull face:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/410/the-catacomb-abyss/

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 15, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Gunpoint

It also has an achievement called "Title Finally Relevant". The description is: "Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver."

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, you could walk all the way back from the chamber where you battled the final boss to your still burning farmhouse, if you wanted. It really felt like a step up from 2D isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Diablo 2 or whatever. The game itself was just kind of ok, and the story was pretty perfunctory. Someone must have really been flogging the IP for it to spawn two sequels and a movie.

Assuming you don't count the PSP spin-off, the amount of Dungeon Siege games and movies is equal!

That's the Uwe Boll magic at work.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

For some reason I felt like mentioning Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, even though it is nowhere near close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FJeUXBgDU

Be sure to peep those credits 12 seconds in tho.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 17, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided opens with a level set in Dubai. It's a hotel that was abandoned while it was still under construction, because of events in Human Revolution. I think there also is a sandstorm going on while you are inside.

Edit: Have some footage that shows the location.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJ2rfso6pQ

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 28, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, I'll second Dark Earth for that description. It takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth where asteroids have led to an environment where the sunlight can't reach most places (hence the title). The places that still remain are probably on mountains of hilltops, and people now worship the sun. So that's what you are thinking of when you say city on an island.

The black disease comes from trying to stop an assassination attempt and getting hit by a nasty poison.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 13, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's likely the video LP by CannibalK9: https://lparchive.org/The-Void/

I watched it back in the day, bought the game on Steam when it was on sale and went "that'll do, game, that'll do". Never even considered installing it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I thought it was Warning Forever or rRootage, but those are freeware games where the bosses keep upgrading/changing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

There also is a Gengis Khan game by Koei that was released in North America.

The most straightforward answer for this query however is Desert Commander. It is Advance Wars style, offering turn-based strategy on a square grid.

An alternate suggestion is Conflict, but that is hex-based. I think that one hits the "cool boxart" scenario more.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Warpath

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

Or maybe Warpath 97 from the same developers, I've never played the version that wasn't originally made for Windows 3.X

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 27, 2024