Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Are there any MBA programs that will completely disregard GPA in favor of GMAT + experience? A quick perusal of an Australian MBA school seems to indicate that they do this...any US schools that are similar?

quote:

Entry requirements

Applicants require either:

* a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) overall minimum score of 550, or
* a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 out of 4 with less than 10 per cent fail grades, or
* a minimum of at least four years' relevant work experience.

Further information is available at: https://www.gsb.uts.edu.au/student/gmat
Applicants also require one of the following:

* a degree from a UTS-recognised university
* a relevant graduate diploma from UTS or another recognised tertiary education institution, or
* a relevant graduate certificate from UTS or another recognised tertiary education institution, with at least a credit average.

Note: If your previous education was conducted overseas, you may need to successfully complete an English language test.
http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/business/gsb/courses/details.cfm?spk_cd=C04018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Do a simple cost-benefit analysis? It depends on what you want to do post-MBA, if there's any intrinsic value that you'd attach to those three letters after your name, etc.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You missed Berkeley / Haas at #7

quote:

Current rank [Previous rank] School Name (Rating) [Previous Rating]
1 [1] Harvard (100) [100]
2 [1] Stanford (99) [100]
3 [4] Northwestern (93) [93]
3 [3] Penn (93) [95]
5 [4] MIT (92) [93]
6 [4] Chicago (91) [93]
7 [7] Berkeley (88) [89]
8 [7] Dartmouth (87) [89]
9 [9] Columbia (86) [88]
10 [13] Yale (85) [80]
11 [10] NYU (83) [84]
12 [14] Duke (82) [79]
13 [12] Michigan (81) [82]
14 [11] UCLA (80) [83]
15 [17] Carnegie Mellon (79) [77]
15 [14] UVA (79) [79]
17 [14] Cornell (76) [79]
18 [18] Texas-Austin (74) [74]
19 [22] Georgetown (73) [69]
20 [19] UNC (70) [72]
20 [21] USC (70) [70]
22 [24] Emory (69) [68]
23 [29] GaTech (68) [64]
23 [20] Indiana (68) [71]
23 [25] WUSTL (68) [66]
26 [27] Ohio State (67) [65]
26 [34] Washington (67) [61]
26 [29] Wisconsin (67) [64]

As an aside, I visited some MBA schools in Australia earlier this month. Two of them, Melbourne and AGSM (in Sydney) seem to do well in the international rankings, and seem a little less competitive to get into compared to top American b-schools.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

unixbeard posted:

I am in Australia and AGSM is the only place I would consider doing an MBA. I would still probably rather go to the US to do one, but if I were to base myself in Sydney long term I'm probably better off staying local.

I live in Sydney so I'm not sure about the Melbourne one. Sydney is really the business capital of Australia now, with the exception of a few local banks and some media companies. Melbourne is a nicer place to live on the whole though, depending on what you're into.

Did you try for US programs? Are you Australian? I went for a mini-tour with the admissions officer but didn't get to chat with any Americans doing their MBA at AGSM.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

IamBadwithPasswords posted:

Got into Boston College off it. My second-round interviewer told me they only filled a third of their class from the first pass. I guess some schools like to take a lot of second looks. Took them six months to decide, though.

well poo poo, I shouldn't have told Yale to sod off after two months on their waitlist :(

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I wonder if there's a networking advantage to going for an Executive MBA, seeing as how you'd share classes with people smart enough to figure out how to get Someone Else to pay for school :eng101:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Super Locrian posted:

I just got rejected from Georgetown. I had a 700 GMAT, 4.0 in my MS in Finance, but a 2.1 in my BS in Math, which is probably what held me back. I have 3 years of experience at a mid-sized financial services company.

Tell your nephew that for Georgetown, international experience and foreign language ability is HUGE. It's an entire page of their application. Also tell him to not have a 2.1 in undergrad.

How quantitatively rigorous were your MS Finance courses? Also, how the gently caress did you get in to a MS Finance program with a 2.1 BS Math GPA? (not being condescending, honestly curious because I had a lovely UG GPA as well)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Agent Escalus posted:

Hello again, seems we're about due for a bump anyway, being so close to final deadlines and notifications, so here we go:

It seems that one of my last options for starting an MBA this year would be to apply to the Rady School at UCSD. However, prior to beginning my search of schools I had never heard of Rady...but of course had heard of the popular places (Wharton, NYU, Berkeley, etc.) that the OP mentions in detail of having better flair/marketing than other schools, and so on. So, I figure this thread is as good as any to ask if anybody knows of any Rady/UCSD grads on a personal level, what they had to say, all that.

I visited San Diego a few times as a child, loved it, would like to go back, but if UCSD has a word-of-mouth rep for being a mediocre or party school (which apparently can happen at state colleges) that's obviously something that concerns me. This is a "Do it right or don't do it at all" endeavor and I'd be leaving Canada to do my MBA, so of course I want to get as much info as possible.

Looks like the first class was in Fall 2004, which would explain why nobody has really met a UCSD MBA. FWIW, undergraduate school is pretty good though--I'd say it's the third best UC behind UC Berkeley and UCLA.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Do you have a great GPA?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

oye como va posted:

3.0 from a top 25 school. So no, not a great GPA.

Better than me. I guess I'd better study hard for the GMAT then :(

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

xanthig posted:

I'm a serial entrepreneur. Since college, I have either been working for or running small businesses. My last business was doing quite well before the recession crushed it like a bug. Unfortunately, to move into the corporate world and hold a position that uses my skills and experience I really need some credentials. Also, when running a startup I found that complex problems arise that get dealt with using instinct rather than expertise. This does not always lead to optimal outcomes, and I have grown tired of watching myself, and the other small business owners around me, guess.

This sounds really cool. Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for. In a way, you'll be working at an 80-person startup, so your instinct might still serve you well...the lack of connections at a new MBA program sounds like a serious downside though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Thoogsby posted:

BC and NU both outrank BU for undergraduate Finance

Wait, really? My 18 year old brother is a freshman at BU and I've been telling him to do a Management degree for the last three months. What *is* BU well-regarded in?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Gadamer posted:

Taking your parent's money.

Just because it isn't as good as does not mean it still isn't good. :ssh:

"outranked by Northeastern" isn't exactly why he is going to BU :(

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Pete Campbell posted:

How useful would it be to get a business-related MS (non-MBA) before getting an MBA? I'm still an undergrad, but the school I might be transferring to has a fast-track program that lets you substitute graduate-level courses for your upper-level business electives. With this, I could get an MS in Finance, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, etc. in as little as a year after I finish my undergrad. After I get some work experience, I would still like to get an MBA.

So I guess my questions are:

-Is it beneficial to potential employers have a business-related MS and an MBA?

-Would starting a MS program directly after a BS be viewed unfavorably by potential employers?

It's hard to say without knowing what you want to do. I imagine an MS in MIS or Accounting would be particularly useful in their respective fields. Who gives a poo poo if you have a masters in Entrepreneurship?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

tolerabletariff posted:

Does anyone know where to get a sample HBS case study online? I'm writing a case study that's going to be included in an undergraduate business class that's taught mostly with HBS cases and I'd like to get my style and formatting as close to those as possible. I'm not going to imply that it's an HBS case but I'd like it to look more professional than the current student-written cases.

I tried looking at the HBS website but all of their cases seem to cost money and/or are only available to educators.

Why not just ask the prof for a sample case if s/he uses HBS cases already?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Jer posted:

After graduating high school, I worked my way up in the real estate field from an office assistant to agent to commercial leasing agent before starting my own commercial land development company. It was successful... before the crash, of course :)

It seems like a big portion of Haas student become finance analysts after graduation, and I'm not interested in going into finance or investment banking at all. I have great people skills and I'm more interested in business development/strategy and general management (possibly consulting).

What's the best path for me? Should I graduate and spend a few years back in the workforce, or should I kill the GMAT and go straight for my MBA? If I went that route, would I be able to get into a top business school (or would the competition be too stiff for someone with my background)?

Jer posted:

Thanks a lot for the reply. After reading every single post in this thread, I think I'm actually leaning toward going back to work for a couple of years after graduation. The way I see it is this:

Scenario 1: I graduate from Cal and try to get my MBA. I'll probably get into a fairly good school, go into significant debt to go through two years of post-grad work, then get let loose into the job market with no work experience in the past 4 years outside of internships. I'm 30 years old.

Scenario 2: I graduate from Cal and get a job with an amazing company like Bain & Company or Deloitte. I work for two years. I ask my employer for tuition assistance, which cuts down on my debt big time. My work experience at (insert amazing company here) combined with my life story makes me an awesome MBA candidate and I get into wherever I want. I graduate and come back to my original employer for a 120k+ job. I'm 32 years old.

Career prospects for Haas grads are pretty drat good, and I'm confident that I can find a decent position after I graduate in 2013. Scenario 2 looks pretty good to me...

Check out the Undergraduate Real Estate Club on campus. I co-founded it like 8 years ago, hope it's still going strong. We had some pretty sweet connections for a brand new club as well as a mentoring program with the MBA RE club BREC. The Fisher Center also has an annual RE conference in the city which is kind of interesting.

As you know, option 2 is definitely the superior choice. I don't think you're going to learn much at all in MBA classes after doing your Haas undergrad (gently caress, the MBA courses might even be easier) and studying for the GMAT is just going to cut into time you could be doing case comps, Berkeley Consulting, or drinking.

PS: Consider taking IEOR 190A from Burgstone. It was my favorite business class--we did HBS case studies pretty much every day--and it's taught by a HBS MBA who successfully profited off the dotcom bubble and is now a VC.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

shrike82 posted:

There's literally no justification to do an online MBA. If you're really that strapped for time, do a part-time EMBA. The only reason I can think of is a rubber stamp to get past company requirements to be promoted but you're doing yourself a serious disservice.

The MBA from Western Governors University is pretty drat cheap. A family friend is a physician who's picking up an online healthcare MBA for less than $10k.

e: Carfax Report, your story is amazing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is this the set of Manhattan GMAT books that is currently recommended?

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Strategy-Guides-Fourth/dp/098417804X/

$100 seems really cheap for 8 books, and the publication date is 2009 :ohdear:

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Speaking of Manhattan GMAT, there's this MBA planning webinar later this month that might be either interesting or a transparently boring upsell.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/EventShow.cfm?EID=3&eventID=8564

quote:

Applying to B-School in 2012? 2013? It's not too early to start planning!

By taking action now, you can dramatically improve your chances of gaining admission to a top-MBA program in the coming years. Indeed, it is never too soon (and certainly not too late) to take several crucial steps to shape your MBA candidacy. Join mbaMission Founder, Jeremy Shinewald, as he leads prospective applicants through a Long Term Planning Seminar.
Topics of discussion will include:
Creating your 10 month (and beyond) timeline
Maximizing the Impact of Community Activities
Accelerating Personal Goals
Building an Alternative Transcript
Taking and Retaking the GMAT
Making the Most of Campus Visits
Understanding the differences between MBA programs
More…
All attendees of this exclusive event will receive:

$100 off any 9-session ManhattanGMAT course
Free access to a ManhattanGMAT computer adaptive practice exam
Free half hour consultation with an mbaMission consultant

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sigmachiev posted:

Check out the comparisons between Berkeley and Stanford if you're trying to head down Californee way. Interesting stuff and very detailed.

Wish they had a more specific search function because plugging in Berkeley and Stanford yields way too many results. What article are you talking about specifically?

e: found it http://poetsandquants.com/2010/08/30/berkeleys-haas-school-of-business-vs-stanfords-graduate-school-of-business/

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

HAAS

You will live and die by your work experience, so better find something not awful Real Soon Now. Also, Haas is not an acronym.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 21, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

Any articles to share for Haas?

Dude, you're putting the cart way way before the horse. Worry about getting a good job first, because you'll need good work experience to get into any top tier MBA school. Doubly so if you are a mediocre student (esp in a soft major like business at a non-target school).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

It's more of a situation where I'm interested in keeping bay ties. I'm more interested in silicon valley than wall street and would like to join a big tech company like LinkedIn. My undergrad emphasis is marketing. I would like to work in advertising and need some information system/computer science sprinkled in now. I'm not overly concerned with prestige but figure I have no shot at Stanford probably none to UC Berkeley and will end up at SFSU. But maybe I can change that.

Just like you, I'd love to go to business school in the Bay. But I fear that my 2.x undergrad GPA from Berkeley (engineering) will also exclude me from Berkeley full stop. Since you are still in school, the best thing you can do is to try to pump up your GPA as much as possible. Not sure how CS courses will help you in that regard unless you plan on programming. Advertising jobs don't seem easy to come by these days either.

Even if I were to do a masters to show that I can do well in school, I'd be 30 by Fall of 2013 and be too old for the target FT MBA crowd by the time that rolled around...

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I no longer want to be a lawyer!

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

JD/MBA hybrid program

:confused:

Anyways, you could always drop by a local MBA admissions office for a friendly chat. Your work experience is gonna be weak, so I don't see you getting into a top-tier program. But if your goal is just to change careers, I think you have a shot at a local/regional school. Not everyone has to work at some globe-trotting/wall street/web 8.0 job.

could you try reconnecting with your deltasig/akpsi brothers for job connections?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Drewski posted:

I've decided I want to make myself more marketable

Beyond checking some government-mandated box for "Must have MBA", Phoenix isn't going to do much for you. Because you don't sound too happy with your current employer, consider checking out metrics for MBA job placement.

The data I've found so far for online MBAs isn't very encouraging :(
http://poetsandquants.com/2012/01/11/u-s-news-ranks-online-mbas/

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
One thing to consider: do you actually like Project Management? I joined PMI and self-studied the PMBOK two years ago and the stuff was so boring that I found myself slacking off by reading the US Tax Code and other accounting material.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Drewski posted:

edit: The search seems a bit easier than I at first thought. I'm looking at Brandman University. It's part of the Chapman University system which has the 'prestige' factor I was concerned about, the cost is $520 per unit, I can do online only, and I don't have to take the GMAT. And they have rolling enrollment.

Well poo poo, their building is across the street from my office here in Orange County. I even dated one of their counselors. Do you get Chapman on your degree or is it Brandman?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I don't think Chapman's reach extends beyond Orange County, and even within Orange County it's far below UCLA/USC/etc. I don't trust USNWR's entrepreneurship ranking because it's going to get you a job...how? If Brandman won't even give you the Chapman name, I don't see the point unless you can show me some evidence of solid recruiting data.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Milky_Sauce posted:

Can anyone recommend a school that has a physical campus that offers 100% of their classes online (but classes that they also have in a physical class if I actually wanted to)? Thanks so much, because googling this is giving me too many thebestwebsitetogetyourMBAfrom.com results.

we literally discussed this last page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968008&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post402448510

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Drewski, the problem is that Brandman has no meaningful alumni recruitment network and/or job placement that I know of. I think you would be better served researching other online programs like Penn State, North Carolina, Northeastern, Arizona, etc.

Milky_Sauce, here's a c/p of the Penn State one.
What will the iMBA diploma and transcript actually say?
Your diploma will state that The Pennsylvania State University grants you the Degree of Master of Business Administration in recognition of the completion of advanced study in business administration. Additionally, your transcript will be a Penn State transcript. Neither the diploma nor the transcript will differentiate the mode (online or otherwise) in which the courses or degree was completed.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Pron on VHS posted:

I work for my dad, who is basically a 1-man consulting firm

Why don't you work with your dad to take over some client relationships? It sounds like there is a legit business and because you know a little bit about everything you have a general idea of how things should go.

Not only will that be better pre-MBA work experience (increasing responsibility, yay) but it sounds like it will be a happier experience for you.

(I have somewhat similar concerns so feel free to PM me)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Its Miller Time posted:

I've been working for one of the major entertainment and media, especially in movies, valuation and advisory companies in LA for the past six months. It's made me consider careers in these areas. What are some of the major ways MBA graduates get involved in the movie industry and e&m world in general, and what are some schools with good programs in this? I was hoping to go to a better program than UCLA but obviously I bet they'd be strong in this.

Don't forget (yuck) USC: http://classic.marshall.usc.edu/ecg/concentrations/bus-of-entertainment-cntv-cert-program.htm

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Buck up. When I looked at placement and estimated salary last year, the delta between Marshall and Anderson was like 3k.

Are you doing any courses at the Orange County campus?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

BRB MAKIN BACON posted:

I am attempting to decide between a Masters of Urban Planning or a dual degree MBA/MURP at UCLA among other places

Without knowing anything beyond you being 24 and a 3.2 undergrad in poli sci, I don't think you are likely to get into either UCLA MURP or Anderson. I understand that you have desires but I'm not seeing the great work experience and/or coursework that would get you into two top top schools.

FWIW, that does sound like a pretty cool plan though. I'm thinking of taking MURP classes through UC Extension but 9a classes kind of suck for working people!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Noah posted:

Is a GPA really going to gently caress someone that bad? Isn't more credence devoted to GMAT, essay, letters of recommendation, and a good resume? That GPA isn't god awful, and fits in line with the average that UCLA is reporting for their admissions info.

Well, that's why my comment started with "without knowing anything beyond..." ;)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Congrats Jer--sounds like you did well for yourself in the last year.

Jer posted:

Scenario 2: I graduate from Cal and get a job with an amazing company like Bain & Company or Deloitte. I work for two years. I ask my employer for tuition assistance, which cuts down on my debt big time. My work experience at (insert amazing company here) combined with my life story makes me an awesome MBA candidate and I get into wherever I want. I graduate and come back to my original employer for a 120k+ job. I'm 32 years old.

Career prospects for Haas grads are pretty drat good, and I'm confident that I can find a decent position after I graduate in 2013. Scenario 2 looks pretty good to me...

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Has anyone tried the Manhattan GMAT Guided Self Study? I'm sitting through a free trial class and man I do not like how this guy talks.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Oliax posted:

I wouldn't get too hung up about starting salaries coming out of MBA programs as they are reported in FT/US News/Business Week/WSJ etc. They are just not comparable across school's. Also, if you are going for an MBA, you are making a long term investment. Making decisions based on the highest salary your first year out would just be short-sighted and foolish.

If I'm sinking two years of my life and $40-$110k in tuition alone into this thing, I'm definitely looking at expected salary and placement rates.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Tyro posted:

I was a government employee for 5 years, no business experience, and my feelings mirrored yours in terms of finding an appropriate level or position. I ended up taking an entry level job with (compared to the rest of my class) a very low salary.

What the gently caress. Do you think Georgetown's MBA career placement services are to blame here? Was your internship OK?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sentientcarbon posted:

Question: how helpful is an MBA in teaching you how to start and run a new business? Like many people, I frequently have ideas that I think would make a great business. However, being a realistic individual, I also acknowledge that I have zero knowledge of running a business nor any knowledge of how to objectively evaluate how awesome my 'awesome' ideas actually are prior to throwing all my money at it.

Would an MBA actually help teach these sorts of skills? Everyone I know who has/is getting an MBA seems to solely use it as a fast-track to management at an existing company, or a high-paying finance postition at an investment bank, or something. From my limited observations, it seems like an MBA is regarded purely as a way to advance faster in an already-established company. Any MBA goons with start-up experience care to weigh in on this?

Look into entrepreneurship courses at your local community college like so http://www1.socccd.cc.ca.us/eservices/ClassDetail.asp?sectionID=63075&termid=20131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
go to HK and get a degree from HKUST HKU CUHK