Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Omits-Bagels posted:

What about the GMAT? I am pretty terrible at those types of tests. What is the best way to prepare?

STUDY STUDY STUDY!

There's a great program out there called Manhattan GMAT - a set of 8 books that go over each section in depth. Four books for mathematics, covering each type of question. Four books for verbal, focusing in on reading comprehension, etc. They're quite fantastic. I think they retail for about $25 each on Amazon.com, but you can find used sets on eBay all the time.

Also get yourself the "Official Review Guides" - the Yellow, Purple and Green books. They're older questions from past tests and still relevant.

Study those and you're on a way to a 700+ score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Ephemeron posted:

Sorry for confusion. Let me clarify:

At the moment, I don't have an MBA, although I'd really like to get one. I have a bachelor's degree in law with a GPA of 2.5 and a master's (also in law) with a GPA of 3.9.

What I need to know is whether a business school would be willing to consider my application, or whether I'd get dismissed out of hand on the basis of lovely bachelor's GPA.

Admissions don't disqualify based upon 1 category, but look at the overall package. Make sure when you apply that your program allows your GPA within its minimum. If it's close, disclose a reason why it's low in your statement of purpose and explain that when you went to get your master's you took school seriously and got a great GPA! Your GMAT and work history will help offset the low undergrad GPA. A "low score" in one area will not disqualify you immediately.

I got into a top-tier program with a 440 GMAT score because I had a 3.5 GPA and 8 years working experience in related fields of where I wanted to end up. My Statement of Purpose was also dead-on for the program - i modeled it after the department's mission statement and explained why I wanted the degree.

I'm now four weeks into my first semester and it's great. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do (math is terrible and I'm in accounting & econ right now), but it's so rewarding because while I'm struggling I'm still learning so much.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
An MBA isn't a free ride into a job, but it can help open doors when combined with your undergraduate degree.

It is important to note that it is not the solution to the "I can't find work" problem.There are many reasons why you may not be getting the resounding number of job interview opportunities you'd like. Is your resume or cover letter doing you little favors and in need of polishing? Are you applying for positions you are not qualified for? You may just end up in a pile of resumes and never make it to the top.

Have you tried to work with a search firm to find work? They tend to work on your behalf to match you with positions and polish your resume/cover letter. They're in the business of finding you work since that is how they make money, so they will make sure you get a job!

Look deep into yourself and think bigger picture. Yes, a graduate degree will help open doors but does it make sense with your undergraduate degree? What type of positions are you looking for? Do they all require MBA degrees to get your foot in the door for an interview? Have you looked into doing internships to gain industry experience?

MBA degrees aren't cheap and sadly a lot of employers will look down on where the degrees are obtained. A degree from the University of Phoenix isn't as highly valued as one from a University. And yes, there will be a large amount of debt. You'll also have to find time to invest in studies and it is difficult. The program is hard! And you'll need to pass a GMAT or GRE exam, so you're at least a year out. An MBA degree for $8,000 sounds very cheap and I'd be wondering about the quality of education you're receiving.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Boon posted:

Can someone give me a starting point and a general timeline breakdown for taking the GMAT? I want to start this weekend or next week, or whenever the needs to start are met, but I also need to know what the timeline for that is... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you can find a used set of Manhattan GMAT prep books on eBay, I highly recommend the 60 day "Beat the GMAT" study schedule.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide

Every day you're emailed an assignment that corresponds with the official guide book and one of the Manhattan GMAT books. If you stay on top of it, it'll be a motivator because it'll feel like you're in a class and held accountable for completing the day's problems/work/reading. I'd budget about 70 days from when you start in the event you skip one or two days due to real life circumstances.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Boon posted:

Thanks to both of you. Books ordered, won't get here before the emails start flowing but I'll just backlog them. Should I then follow the books as the emails dictate or do I read them separately and then review with the emails?

Great question! The emails will instruct you as to which books, pages and problems to do. Consider them your instructor.

You should have the resources near by when you start and count "Day 1" when you open that first email and begin the program. I backlogged them under a tag/category in Gmail and then accessed them day by day when I started.

While you wait, take a free Princeton Review test to check on the "before" score to see where you're at so you can monitor your progress.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm just starting my second semester of my program at a highly-ranked University and let me tell you something: there will never be enough time.

Finding a work / life / school balance will be difficult at first and you won't see your friends/family very much. You'll have to develop your own schedule and what works best for you. What you put into the program is what you get out of it. You can simply just go to class and go home or you can get more involved with additional lectures and functions as offered.

As for me... I work full time and take two classes a semester. I put myself on a routine where-in I make sure to have dinner with my husband on the nights I don't have class and then proceed into the office to study. Classes this term are on Tuesday and Thursday nights (7-10pm), so my schedule is:
    Monday: Study night (7-11pm)
    Tuesday: Class
    Wednesday: Study night (7-11pm)
    Thursday: Class
    Friday: Relax
    Saturday: DAY OFF :D
    Sunday: Study day / group meeting day

You will have a lot of reading to do. You will be reading books, cases, and working on projects. Yep, team work and group work is paramount for success in the program. I've found this works for me but you may be different.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Frost000 posted:

I just had a quick question for the MBA veterans. During your program, did you find that students with non-traditional backgrounds (i.e. limited math/financial background) had a much tougher time than regular students?

If so, what kind of work or preparation could one do before starting their own program?

I'll be starting in September and other than the GMAT, I haven't done much math at all since high school. I scored decently, but still. I'll be taking a "Math for Management" course over the summer (it's an obligation on behalf of the program), but I'd love to brush up on other stuff if at all possible before entering the belly of the beast.

I am just wrapping up my first year of my MBA program and I came from a Communications background. I have limited math and financial experience and for me it was learning all of the terminology. The math is fairly simple, but it's knowing all of the formulas and when to use it. The best thing you could do is read about accounting and finance to acclimate yourself into the language.

If I could do it again, I'd have purchased a used textbook from a couple years ago and just read about the basics of accounting and finance. Understanding how assets = liabilities + equity is the basis of all accounting, and how it affects the rest of the financial statements.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The first year of my program is done and now I'm in summer session. Only 1.5 years to go!

I wanted to point out that those going in a traditional program with interterm and summer sessions should be aware that they move rather quickly. I took statistics in the interterm and I didn't mind the pace. Where I'm having problems is in Operations, which I am currently taking. A normal 16-week semester would give you plenty of time to work on a semester-long group project. Unfortunately in summer we have to do all of this in six weeks.

Be mindful of the classes you take in these rushed sessions. This is where your accounting and/or finance (math-classes) come in handy!

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
One of my Spring electives is in jeopardy of being cancelled - so long Global Supply Chain Management.

I have two options to choose from as a replacement, and I was hoping that I could gauge some feedback as to which would be more enjoyable and beneficial in the long run.

Option 1: Principles of Real Estate
Class is an overview of the real estate industry and all aspects of selling and buying property.

Option 2: From Idea to Business - Incubator
Class has you launch a project/business plan and see how far you can go with it.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Neither class helps what I want to do in the future, but staying an extra semester to get another marketing class is not feasible for many reasons that I won't go into.

That said, I get the vibe of what you're saying and the real estate class may help when I'm ready to buy a house.

Thanks for helping me make a decision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Crazyweasel posted:

Anyone adopt any really good tips or tricks for GMAT?

Read the "Beat the Gmat" forums. Google it and read up... it teaches you how to think like a test taker and not fall for the trick answers.