Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tony_Montana posted:

Yes, but even then it could be said that if someone can get into Harvard they probably don't need an MBA in the first place. It's just a waste of time and money.

Just the networking opportunity is worth the full price at a top five school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hearing people talking about part time being different, is it just in your favor that you are working and going to school simultaneously? Or are the degrees actually different?

Part time is different because it a huge money maker for the school. So they mostly just care that you aren't going to drag down classes or torpedo their averages. The standard for entry is generally a lot lower.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Busy Bee posted:

I see, thank you. So how do I determine if I want to send the score or not or retake the test since it's close to the deadline for first round of applications?

Where do you feel you rate on a scale of 1 to baller?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Moneyball posted:

You'll get an education with both, but the full-time programs are for networking and interning, while the part-time programs are just for the piece of paper.

I don't entirely agree with that. Part time programs are just as much about networking as any other MBA program. The pool is just more localized. I did my MBA part time and made a lot of connections within my company (since it is one of the larger employers in the area and made up about half of the part time students) and with managers/professionals from around the area. Those connections have helped my career as much as what I learned in the classes even though it was a part time program.

If you're doing an online program or a no-name degree mill then sure, it's just for the piece of paper. But if you're going to whatever the most prominent university is for your area then networking is very much still a thing.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 29, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mandalay posted:

If I went to an MBA program (with the goal of career change) and half of the connections I made were within my existing company, I'd be very unhappy. My guess is that people do MBAs with the primary goal of "networking and interning" are looking for career change across industries/sub-industries/sectors/spaces/verticals/markets.

Sure, but the main point I was responding to was that the only reason somebody goes for a part time MBA is for the piece of paper. If your goal is to advance your career or make a jump to a new track but stay within the same industry and/or geographic area, the networking you get at a part time MBA at say, a local Big Ten/XII/SEC/Pac-12/etc type school is going to be valuable for that goal.