Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

PotU posted:

I just got Silent Hill 3 and since it's my first Silent Hill game ever I'd like to know if there's anything I have to keep in mind.

Whenever you enter a new area, find a map. It's usually near the beginning of the area, and in a place where you'd expect to find one. The game doesn't go out of its way to hide them, but won't stop you from wandering on without one either. The levels are large, and quickly become frustrating without a map. NOTE: The first intro level where you begin the game doesn't have one.

When selecting puzzle difficulty, don't pick 'hard', unless you really want a challenge. SH3 doesn't gently caress around when it comes to puzzles. If I remember correctly, some versions even have an (unlockable?) 'extreme' puzzle difficulty, where one of the puzzles requires you to understand calculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Cliff posted:

I just picked up Civilization III: Gold Edition on the cheap. Any advice? I checked the wiki, but there's only stuff for Civ4 and Revolutions.

A couple of days late, but here's some Civ stuff anyway. I assume you're new to the series?

CivIII is kind of the black sheep of the Civ games (excluding spinoffs). It introduced a bunch of new interesting game mechanics, but most of them were badly balanced, or outright broken.

There's still fun to be had, though, but it depends on what kind of a player you are. If you just want to have fun building a communist aztec empire and nuke the crap out of everyone, CivIII will do just fine. If you like to read strategy articles and figure out optimal playing strategies, I wouldn't bother with CivIII. Optimal play is pretty much simplistic exploitation of the broken to hell game mechanics. Civ4 on the other hand, is an exquisitely balanced game, and better in most other areas as well.

It's hard to give hints about the Civ games without going all :words:, as they are fairly complex beasts by their nature. But here's the best advice I've heard given to new players, who often feel overwhelmed by the amount of options they have building their empire:

Civ is a game about Food, Production and Coins. Yes, those icons on the city screen where you choose which tiles to work on. You'll need to get more of those than your opponents, faster than them. If you don't know what to do next, figure out a way to get more Food, Production and Coins, the fastest way you can. It doesn't even really matter which ones you are getting, there are ways to turn one into another. Obviously there's more to the game, but everything hangs on grabbing and exploiting land. When you have a significant lead in Food, Production and Coins, you can ram any strategy you choose down your opponent's throat.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Cliff posted:

Specifically about CivIII, I'm not sure how to use my workers. I thought it would tend to be worth more to irrigate the areas around my cities rather than mine them, but leaving my workers on auto tends to result in no irrigation. Should they not be auto-working?

Your goal should be to only ever work improved tiles. Sometimes you might have more pressing issues, like building some actual defensive units, but expanding and improving land is key. Building another worker rarely a bad call in any situation. Automated workers are useful for covering the map with railroads when you invent them, but that's about it.

Here's a civfanatics article on early expansion: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=86630
You might want to search that forum, all the gory details of this game are on display there.

Cliff posted:

Secondly, how can I produce more science? It seems my research is always going slowly, especially compared to research rates in CivRev. We're talking 12 turns minimum for any research I've attempted through about 4 hours of play so far.
You know about the science slider, right? Don't be afraid to set it to 100%, as long as you have some gold left. Are you trading tech with the other civs? The deals they give often seem like ripoffs, but think of it this way: If you trade a 1000 research point tech for a 600 point one, you just got a 60% bonus on all the research you invested in the tech. No library is going to give you that. Also, when you trade a tech away, trade it to everyone you can, otherwise the opponents will reap the rewards themselves.

(Actually, the above is kind of a lie when it comes to CivIII; I believe the most efficient way of getting tech is to never research anything past Writing, and trading/scamming tech off the other civs, thanks to the stupidity of the tech trading AI)

Cliff posted:

Also, tangentially related to gold production, what buildings are necessary in cities? I imagine that I really only need one city with a barracks and should specialize gold/science cities with banks/libraries, but what else? Aquaducts for population growth, but I don't want to build too much and lose tons of money.
Yes, you've got the idea. In borderline cases, it's better to err on the side of not adding a building that's going to drain your gold for the rest of the game. You can always build another worker, or wealth.

Cliff posted:

So far, it seems that defense/fortified units are absurdly overpowered, to the point of me not even wanting to build an offensive army past the initial exploration stage. Is this true, or am I doing it wrong?
Later in the game, you'll want to build Armies. And bring overwhelming force. Artillery, naval bombardment, nukes. Once you'll get your economy going, things will start to look different. You are right in that war between equal civs is rarely profitable. Perhaps a surgical strike to get a key resource, but that's about it.

Cliff posted:

I think my problems hinge on not building enough cities. Early game, before researching construction and being able to expand my cities beyond 6 population, I wait until a city reaches its growth limit and then start pumping out workers/settlers. It seems like a good strategy to maximize food/trade/production, but I notice that the computer keeps their cities with low population (and almost no gold either), so what's up with that?
Yes, your problem is probably expansion. See the article above. Also, depending on the difficulty level, the AI civs will get huge production bonuses. It's the only way to keep them competitive.

Cliff posted:

Feel free to be wordy, but if "strategy" is something a bit beyond this iteration of the series, that's fine. I really got it because I want to get into a proper Civ game before CivV comes out and it was :10bux: with CivCity included.
There's strategy, but Civ4 has strategy. I'm not even that excited about CivV, because I just can't see how they could improve on 4 and Beyond the Sword (hex grid :bubblewoop:). I'll buy it and play it, of course, but I have a feeling I'll return to Civ4 sooner or later.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Corridor posted:

I got Divine Divinity on the advice of this forum. It's quite good but hard as balls and I am now kinda boned because I screwed up my character. There's a somewhat useful LP currently running but it's nigh-loving-unreadable since the dude decided to use it to write his lovely novel. Please give me advice, I like the game a lot but I suck at it an embarassing amount.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, just having completed the first dungeon with a warrior. After hauling every piece of trash to the shopkeeper to afford some equipment, and putting all my points into strength and +damage skills, I did manage to reach a point where I usually kill things faster than they kill me. It's still pretty tough going, I hope things improve when I can equip the 60 strength requirement weapons.

One thing that helped a lot was figuring out that you can bind 'drop teleport stone and get the hell out of dodge' into a single function key. You do this by opening the Skills menu, hovering the mouse over the icon, and pressing a function key.

Corridor posted:

The character you pick is largely aesthetic since the only real difference is starting skills/stats and you can learn literally any other skill.

Each character gets an unique ability, which I assume cannot be received by other characters. The warrior gets a 360 swirling slash, which gets you killed because you're standing next to multiple enemies. The wizard can teleport to exchange places with an enemy, which gets you killed because you'll alert a dozen more enemies to your presence. The survivor can sneak, which I haven't tried, but might actually help you not get killed.

If someone can give advice about the skills, It'd be great. It's hard to decide where to put points, as the game gives next to no information about how the skills improve in higher levels.

Also, does anyone know why my character refuses to sleep every now and then? Is it a time of the day thing, or what's going on? Lay down, goddammit, your guts are hanging out.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

I picked up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic at a thrift store recently and was curious about what's the best build for someone new to this game? What kind of build is best suited for the main character?

When it comes to classes, for a first play through I'd recommend scout until level 7 to get the feat pick there, and then choose any Jedi class you like when they come available (spoilers you become a jedi). Scout gets you the most generally useful set of feats, and doesn't gimp your hitpoints or skill picks. You can stay at a lower level to get more Jedi levels when you get access to the Jedi classes, but it makes the early game pretty painful.

Force powers:

Like people above have posted, first pick is Force Speed. It's not just a good power, it also makes it a lot more convenient to travel around the maps.

After that, go straight for Dominate Mind, because if you aren't playing the game to mess with weak minded fools, why bother playing at all?

For light side, as mentioned above, Destroy Droid is great. There's a lot of nasty droid opponents throughout the game. Throw Lightsaber works for the last boss as well as Destroy Droid, but it seriously sucks as a power.

The dark side gets all the fun iconic powers, like Force Lightning, but don't overlook the Slow > Poison > Plague path. Plague might seem like a typically worthless RPG stat debuff, but the saving throw on it is ridiculous. Most of the tough bosses in the game won't save against it, so beginning a battle with a Plague will have a significant impact.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

KOTOR advice? I just started it after finally sucking it up and doing all the messy configuration for widescreen, and I'm liking it so far. However, I have only the vaguest knowledge of Star Wars stuff, and even vaguer knowledge of how D&D stuff works. I have played more mainstream-ed RPGs like the newer Fallouts, Dragon Age, and Oblivion though.

KOTOR is a fairly easy and straight-forward game, you can't mess up too badly. Some pointers:
  • One of the party member related quests requires the main character to have a high repair skill, so it's a good idea to raise that.
  • You'll find a special shop with expensive high quality equipment. You'll know it when you see it. It will restock after completing each planet, and is a great place to dump the piles of credits you accumulate.
  • When you gain access to the Jedi classes, grab Force Speed first. It makes traveling around the areas a lot more convenient, and is nice in combat as well.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Centipeed posted:

I haven't been adding these Civ 4 tips to the wiki, simply because there would be such an overwhelming number that I suspect it would make playing for the first time harder, not easier.

What I really need is for someone (I haven't played the game, even though I own it (Steam! :argh:)) to work through all of the tips and distil them into the most vital ones only.

I'm on a vacation, and have played copious amounts of civ, so I could take a look at this. I've sent you an email (assuming it's your email address on the wiki help page?)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I just bought Monster Hunter Tri on a whim. I know nothing about it.
I apologize if it's been posted before, but I don't see it on the Wiki.

I haven't played Tri myself, but I can give you a lowdown on the whole series.

There is a Monster Hunter megathread around, though it's not terribly active these days. It's a good idea to look up some info online, since some of the stuff like monster's resistances and vulnerabilities are deliberately obscure.

MH looks a lot like a hack and slash RPG type of game, but it's closer to Demon's/Dark Souls. It has a high skill ceiling, and even the best gear never trivializes the hardest monsters. The combat is slow-paced and very methodical. You need to be acutely aware of the big monster's attacks' hit zones, and try and stay out of them. You need to recognize the wind-up animations and instantly react. Only move in to attack when you are sure you can do it without getting eaten.

Multiplayer is more fun, and the community is friendly and helpful. Just try not to repeatedly do annoying things that disrupt other hunter's attacks. These include things like weapon moves that fling people in the air, longsword combos which hit everything around you, and spamming pellet shots on everyone with a bowgun.

EDIT: oh, and a preemptive 'no, there is no camera locking to an enemy'. This is another deliberate design thing: later in the game you'll need to constantly keep an eye on multiple monsters since getting hit even once can spell doom.

There's also, I believe, a setting in Tri which controls whether your dodge roll direction is relative to the way the camera is pointing, or the way your hunter is pointing. I'm not too sure about this since I haven't played it, but I seem to remember people talking about something like that in the megathread a bunch, so you probably should check that out.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 19, 2012

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Nova88 posted:

Any advice for Europa Universalis III Chronicles? (all DLC except for sprite packs). Any mods worth using also? I checked the wiki but there were only about 4 tips there and I heard it's a pretty complex game.

It's a very sandboxy game, you'll have the most fun if you just set up your own insane goals, and just generally try to contribute to creating a world gone mad.

The wiki is an excellent source, but here's a lowdown on the most important mechanisms to grok:

Reputation (badboy score):
If you go on an outright expansionist land-grab campaign, every other country will hate you for a long time, and try to stomp you down. It's possible to pull of in certain situations, but I personally don't find it a fun way to play the game.

Diplomacy & alliances:
Alliances and pacts tend to come and go, having an actual standing army is always respected.

Casus Belli:
Before you declare a war on a target, you'll need a valid (in middle-ages terms) reason, called Casus Belli. Otherwise everyone, including your own people, will hate you for a long time and try to stomp you down. Fabricating one out of thin air is fair game, the manual and tutorials have the specifics.

Battles & Sieges:
Having more dudes, full morale and a general will usually win. When you take a province with a fort, use the 'leave detachment' button to leave enough dudes to maintain the siege, the fort will give up eventually. Note that cavalry is useless in a siege, while artillery is (obviously) good. Assaulting is a great way to get an army decimated, use only when it's really a double or quits scenario.

Economy & inflation:
Your cash (ducats) come from taxes each month, and a bigger pot at the end of each year. At times of war, war taxes can also be levied. Try to make ends meet with tax money, since it comes without hidden costs.

Another alternative is taking international loan. You'll have to pay back with interest, so before taking a loan you should make sure your investment is worth it. Also note that if at any moment you run out of ducats, the game will automatically and immediately take a loan for you. Keep some extra cash in bank to avoid this.

Third option is directly minting money by moving the relevant slider in the treasury(?) screen. This is the prime cause of inflation, and your current inflation score will directly increase the cost of everything you pay with ducats. Especially in the early centuries, it's very hard to push inflation down once you've got some, so try to avoid it before you have a better feel of how the economy model works.

Advisors of the court:
Get some that correspond your needs, they are worth it. A good Master of Mint is especially useful, freeing you to mint some extra ducats without racking up inflation.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'm seriously having trouble with Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. Dawn of War 2? No problem. Chaos Rising's ridiculous final boss? Took him down. But Retribution changes up the mechanics, has limited resources, and apparently I can't reinforce my squads?

Resources are plentiful in that game, if you're running out, you are definitely doing something wrong. Figuring out reinforcement will help, but here's a couple of additional things:

In addition to the capture points, you'll also get resources from killing things. This means an endless grind can be in your favor, if you kill more. Also, if your hero units go down, use another hero to get them up, it's free. The honor guard units you can take instead of heroes also re-spawn for free. If you're more comfortable just micro-managing your heroes instead of ordering lots of squads around, don't forget that you can use resources to give your heroes stat boosts for the mission. Also check out the equipment rewards for missions, some of those are crazy good. Going mostly heroes is very viable, I mostly used leveled up heroes and big tanks for the later parts of the game. If something brings you to a halt, you can then figure out which specialized squad to call up.

GhostBoy posted:

To reinforce squads, you have to be near a reinforcement point (which is any structure that lets you build the squad in question, plus whatever the hero abilities may grant), and click on the little green button in the squads picture. It should have something like "6/8" beneath it. Each click spends resources to call in another member, up to the limit. I'm guessing that is the step that is eluding you.

You can also right-click the reinforcement button to put a squad in auto-reinforce mode.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

InK105 posted:

Just got Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition and I loving suck at it. Could use some help. It's like every game against AI I just get annihilated. I can rarely go on the actual offensive since I get lovely as gently caress rolls.

Check out cKnoor's beginners guide to Blood Bowl. There's a whole playlist of videos, but even watching just the first one will likely improve your game. They are also made with Cyanide's BB: Chaos Edition, so you might pick up some pointers on how to deal with the game's not so great UI.

Concerning the AI: All the different difficulty levels are equally bad at the core game strategy, but the easier AIs take more stupid risks. Ironically, this makes the easy AI the most dangerous, since sometimes those risks pay off. You might want to try setting the AI to hard. It'll be harder to get the ball away from its team when they cage around it, but they'll be a lot less capable offensively.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Lord Banana posted:

I searched the thread but couldnt find any tips for Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman. Anyone got any tips for it?

It's been a long time since I played it, but here's what I can remember:

All your standard rogue-like-isms apply. Back into narrow points to fight one enemy at time etc.

The hunger clock in this game is fairly strict. Most consumable items restore a bit of energy as well. This can save you in a tough spot, even if you don't need the main effect of the item. There's also this one item you wear on your head, that dangles a carrot in front of your face. It makes energy management a lot easier, and the item can even be eaten in a pinch. Try to grab as many as you can, and once you unlock the option, send extras back home so you don't need to enter a dungeon without one.

Later you'll unlock a thing where you install chips in your body. You'll literally turn extra items into chips, and stick them in a grid that's shaped like your body. I seem to remember the game didn't explain everything about this system very well. Like the following: You can place extra features on top of the chips (I can't remember what they were called). For this to work, all the chips the extra feature covers need to be the same color. The extra things are usually shaped like 2x3 or so blocks, so when you start chipping your body, try and place chips of same color next to each other. That way you won't need to replace a lot of chips later to make the same-colored areas for the extra things.

You can also create these energy lines that travel across your body-grid into your organs. These provide very powerful boosts to your stats, so it's a good idea to do this. The game didn't clearly explain that the longer a line travels in your body, the stronger the boost will be. So you'll need to do the pipe-dream thing where you rout the line all over the place before hitting your desired target. The body-grid thing is pretty complex, but also interesting and super powerful, so it's a good idea to spend some time planning it out. All decisions made can be reversed, so no need to worry about gimping yourself.

If you're losing a boss fight, and the boss has normal monsters as minions, avoid at all costs being killed by one of the normal monsters. You'll get a phobia of that monster, so now the boss fight you just lost also has minions that deal extra damage to you. I don't remember if you can replace your phobia by just sacrificing yourself to a different monster, but I certainly remember having a really bad time with one of the boss fights because of a phobia.

The game will put together a theme song for your hero, depending on what you have equipped. Be sure to check it out every now and then, it is great.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Luisfe posted:

Anything I should know about Might and Magic Heroes 6?

The most important thing is that you can play the single player campaign in either offline mode, or while connected to the Conflux (essentially always-online mode). Saves are not compatible between modes, you can't load an online save without an internet connection, so pick one and stick with it. Playing in online mode allows you to level up your Dynasty, which is kind of a trans-campaign level up system. You can get a bunch of bonuses unlocked as you level up your Dynasty, so you'll have to decide if it's worth it to have to deal with the always-online thing. You can also unlock a couple of useful things for your Dynasty from the uPlay client with uPlay points, assuming you have any.

When it comes to gameplay, its HOMM. Avoid troop attrition at all costs (Reinforcements is a good skill), and save often in separate slots. Hire another hero to pick up all the scattered resources, so your main army can concentrate on clearing the map of enemy stacks. Build town portals, so you can quickly get to defense when enemy heroes attack your town.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

PTizzle posted:

I read the Wiki and there's some handy stuff there, but I'm about to play Mass Effect after recently finishing the second. Is there anything I should know given that (things that are different and I might need to adjust to), apart from the combat being worse?

Also, are there any sidequests that aren't explicitly spelled out I should know about? General tips that aren't on the Wiki would be great too.

What up, playing ME2 before ME1 buddy? :hfive:

I'd say grab the biotics class to be mega powerful, or the sniper class to get slightly more involved gameplay. Most of the sidequests are really, really boring and repetitive. Don't feel bad about skipping them if you get tired of driving that stupid jet-pack car around fractal landscapes devoid of anything of interest.

Inventory space is limited, and when it's full, the game will just force you to discard things. Handily, all the guns and upgrades are marked with roman numerals indicating their power level. When you're at a shop, you can safely sell anything rated under the highest numeral you have.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

closeted republican posted:

What should I know before playing Metro: Last Light? I have all of the DLC.

The real answer is nothing.

Some freaks even turn the voice acting to russian, just to get the authentic experience of having no idea what the gently caress is going on. The important plot bits are subtitled anyway.

Okay, one thing. There are these filter things you use for your gas mask. Collect all you can. But if you happen to run out, you can remove the filter, run for a while, and then put it back just for a moment to catch a breath. Repeating this, you can cover a surprising amount of ground before dying. It's useful, if you saved your game in a bad spot.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Join the Drama club.

Do not join the Music club.

That really is the lowest point of the game.

When it comes to P3, the question is whether you have the time or the patience to go through about 80 hours of grindy JRPG gameplay. There's some good stuff in that game, but the main dungeon is goddamn insufferable. P4 does a much better job of making the battle sequences engaging.

If you play through P4 and like the story, I'd pick up Persona 4 Arena over P3 as the next game to play.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Odd posted:

I'm replaying Mass Effect 3, since I just recently got all the DLCs. When are the 'best' times to start them?

From Ashes gets you a new team member who's pretty cool, so I'd do that first. You also get a very powerful rifle. Omega is very combat heavy, and not very interesting storywise, so it depends if you feel like fighting lots of dudes. Leviathan is also fine to start whenever, but I seem to remember some of the fights being a bit rough, so you might want to level up a bit. Citadel is like a christmas special episode of Mass Effect where things are a bit less serious, and it fits best after the main campaign is done.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

-if I'm planning on going mostly melee with a dabbling of magic, is it still worth it to get Harm? Also, what are the actual worthwhile non-combat magics to get?

Harm is very worthwhile. It's one of the most powerful ranged attacks in the game. It'll be very effective even if you mostly pump strength and other melee stuff. The Black Necromantic college also has Conjure Spirit as the second spell, and that has a couple of cute uses throughout the game. Charm from the Mental college can get you through some dialogue checks, if you don't have the stats to deal with people.

The next most useful spell is Teleportation, but that's the final spell in Conveyance, so you'd need to invest heavily into magic to get there.

Wolfsheim posted:

-speaking of character progression, is this the kind of game where I can start heavy on melee and slowly veer into wizard supremacy, or will I gently caress myself?

The biggest problem will be the stat requirements to learn the higher level spells. Melee/caster hybrid is very viable though, I remember having a great time with a fighter using the Temporal school. Hasten is a great spell, and Tempus Fugit is goddamn ridiculous.

Wolfsheim posted:

-why do my followers keep picking up random trash and how do I make them stop? Put down that random piece of filament, Virgil.

I don't remember if anything can be done about that. Just clear their inventories at town and sell all that crap I guess.

Wolfsheim posted:

-are the gear restrictions the unusually-sized races deal with worth the hassle of playing as them?

It's fine. It only affects the torso slot, so you won't be gimped all that much.

Wolfsheim posted:

-should I be bothering to boost persuade/etc, or will magic just let me ignore all that mess like in every other fantasy RPG? Also, is this like Fallout where there are a bunch of trap skills? I'm guessing gambling doesn't see a lot of action.

The Charm spell can help you in some cases, but if you want to be diplomatic, you'll have to put some points down. Persuasion is a great skill in that if you max it out and do the expert training quest, any recruitable party member in the game will join you, no questions asked, all restrictions are lifted. There are traps around, but you can mostly just run through them. Gambling sucks.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Quarex posted:

Is there any chance Mass Effect 3 will ever be on Steam? I need to know "before I play this game for the first time." I assume not, of course.

Unlikely. EA seem to be pretty invested in Origin. Origin is pretty bening though, I haven't been bothered by it much after completing ME3, there's no email spam or anything. Sometimes it goes like "Hey, I updated in case you care! Wanna login again?" and that's about it. I keep it on my system since the multiplayer on ME3 is actually pretty fun and doesn't take a large time investment to participate in.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Civilization V is on sale on Steam so I nabbed it, anything I should know?

We're talking about just the vanilla game here, none of the expansions? I'll also assume you haven't played any civ games before.

The key to doing well in the game is grabbing enough land, and working it as efficiently as possible with your cities. You'll want to settle your cities near the various bonus resource tiles on the map, and research technologies that allow your workers to improve those resources. The maximum amount of cities and population working the tiles you can have is limited by your happiness. Once your happiness goes into the negatives your cities stop growing, so you'll want to avoid that as much possible. This makes the happiness providing luxury resources a top priority. Especially in the early game you'll want your new cities near a luxury resource that you don't have access to yet.

One thing to watch out for is settling cities next to another civilization. If you settle in an area they consider theirs, they will declare war on you for it sooner or later. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how ready you are for war, and if they have cities worth taking.

Take what the advisors say with a grain of salt. They're decent at informing you if you're doing something horribly wrong, but you'll also get a bunch of misinformation. For example, the military advisor will constantly scream at you for not having enough soldiers, but paying upkeep for a massive standing army that's doing nothing is a great way of keeping your empire poor.

If you get through a couple of games and like what you see, you'll want both of the expansion packs. The vanilla game is kind of gimped after you figure out how it ticks. The expansions do a great job of making things more interesting, especially in the late game.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Its was actually the ultimate edition of Civ V that was on sale for about $16 so I said screw it and got that. I bought it because when I mentioned that I was mulling it over to some good friends of mine they demanded I buy it immediately with the promise that I would lose days playing it. So far that seems true, but this being my first Civ, the initial info dump is....intimidating.

Awesome. Everything in my first post still stands. Two important new game mechanisms are introduced by the expansions: religion and trade routes. Both are super great to have, so take the time to build a couple of shrines and caravans/cargo ships. Cargo ships are 2x better than caravans, so switch to using them when they become available.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

[...] I don't want to switch to improving my terrain [...]

There's your problem. Working the land efficiently is how you win wars in this game. If Darius has his population working hills with mines on them, and you're working unimproved tiles, he's going to eclipse your production and drown you in units. Get some workers going, and let him come to you. Fight within your cities bombardment range, and try to keep your units alive to farm experience for them. Cities are pretty tough to take, you'll probably want to have at least two catapults and a bunch of melee units before going for one, until you figure how the tactical combat plays out.

Or even better, forget about the tutorial and just start a game on one of the lower difficulty settings. I've never played the tutorial but it sounds like it's a weird forced war set-piece that doesn't actually happen in real games. The advisors are hand-holdy enough, you'll have a better time just plunging in.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Civ 5 talk

Well I just played through that part of the tutorial, and wow. That's not at all about combat, that's about how you use the loving fact that you have two cities and your opponent has only one to your advantage. If you have more land than they do, you just outbuild them, that's how the game works.

Since the happiness cap was very lenient, it made sense to build granaries in both cities as soon as possible. More food means more population means more everything. I also built a scout very early since I wanted to know what the map looked like. I managed to steal a worker from the AI with the scout later in the game, so those hammers were well spent. In fact, building a scout as fast as possible and going for the AI's first worker would probably break the whole scenario in half. I took Persepolis on turn 76 with 2 swordsmen, 1 hoplite, 2 catapults and 1 companion cavalry.

So basically, don't bother with the tutorials. Just play the game and go to war only when you feel confident about it.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

The real thing the tutorial is teaching you is that you can't really ignore any aspect of the game.

The hammer, the apple, the coin, the dove, that purple culture icon I'm not even sure what it is. All are important. Work the land. Win the game.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I'm about to play regular Skyrim (no mods) on the PC. Played through it a bit before, didn't really get into it, felt kind of bland, in a way that's sort of difficult to describe, but I'd like to give it another shot. Are there any mods people would recommend to make it better, as well as any mods in general that improve the overall nature of the game (like...uh, SkyUI I think it was called)?

Something that made magic not completely terrible would be nice, but anything is good too.

Sky UI is a good idea. It'll take a bit of work to install, but it'll turn the inventory from insufferable into this:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

sick trigger posted:

make sure to have at least 1 follower of Eurmal on your clan ring

This is most salient advice. Eurmal followers are designated by three dots in a triangle shape. They worship... well, you'll figure it out.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Faerie Fortune posted:

I am not good at strategy games so naturally I decided to buy XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within in the steam sale this weekend! I already know to never ever ever not be in cover, and that Squadsight is the most broken ability in the game but is there anything else I need to know?

SHIVs are pretty good if you take on the habit of getting a couple of soldiers killed each mission. Experienced soldiers are strictly better, but a hover plasma SHIV is still very solid. It takes a bunch of resources and research to get to plasma hover SHIVs, but once you're there, they're pretty cheap to replace. A couple of those can easily carry a bunch of rookies through a mission.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

L. Ron Mexico posted:

just found that I have a copy of neverwinter nights 2 lying around that I never played, so (given that I will be going through OC and MotB):

any builds/classes/combinations that are particularly fun to play? I usually go with casters in this type of game, but if there's some melee build that's extraordinarily fun that's fine too.
I'm familiar with AD&D and 3.0, but I've never played 3.5, so maybe something that's new to 3.5? warlocks would fit I guess, but I dunno if they are any fun to play - hard to tell from the description
Complete munchkin builds are fine with me as long as they're fun and don't require like 15 levels of incredibly boring sniping and AI abusing (you know, Kensai/Mage from BG2 type builds). I just wanna blow stuff up and solve some quests and whatnot

any other tips that are not on the beforeiplay page? any highly recommended modules?

Cleric is still the king in 3.5. You get tons of cool spells, and can buff yourself to be a front-line fighter as well. For the little while I tried a Warlock, I found it a bit disappointing. For the most time, I was just spamming Eldritch Blast. Since it's a ranged touch attack, you have to pump dex a lot in addition to other stats, so you're kind of locked in statwise.

Casters are a good choice, since when you get to MotB, you really get a chance to mess around with the metamagic feats. Having stuff like 24h haste is really convenient. You can also easily fine tune for a specific encounter. About a dozen slots of instantly castable fire spells can really ruin a mummy lord's day, for example.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Do Enemy Within. There's just more to do, and the new mission types and objectives incentivise being a bit more aggressive with your soldiers, which makes the tactical game more exciting.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just joined the Vampire: Bloodlines group in Steam last week on a lark, and suddenly the other day there was an announcement that they just released a new patch. Who are these people still updating this game after going-on-15 years?

Meet Wesp, a crazy modder person. When the game was released in a very buggy and unfinished state, Wesp did a bunch of good modding work to fix it up. Then he restored a bunch of cut content that was on the game disc, still all fine and good. But he didn't stop there, and I don't think he's ever going to. When there was no more things that could be reasonably fixed, he started to fix unreasonable things. Every single cut data file on the disc gets rammed in somewhere, even if they are unfinished to the point of being incomprehensible. And he moves things. NPCs, items, quest rewards, all things change places from patch to patch without rhyme or reason. The tiniest of background details get switched on and off according to the mystical whimsy that drives this man.

To his credit, most of the crazy is contained into an optional 'plus' version of the patch these days.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Any advice for actually getting good at Heroes of Might and Magic games? I feel as though I always turtle too much trying to get stacks of death.

The advice in the previous pages is written with HoMM 3 in mind, so I thought I'd write some generic across the series strategy tips:

Stacks of death are great, and they are how you win maps. The trick is getting there as fast as possible.

The beginning of each map is an optimization puzzle. You'll need to figure out the most efficient way of ramping up your economy and troop production. There's a natural way for each faction to build up, which leads to maximum unit production. You'll have to identify the limiting factor for your expansion on each map. When you know what's preventing you from following the most efficient build order, prioritize getting rid of that limitation. It might be running out of a specific resource, or gold; or there might be a big stack of independents standing at a choke point. In some maps your starting town might have a bunch of buildings disabled, which makes conquering a better town a priority. Trial and error is often the only way of finding the fastest expansion path.

Troop attrition is very bad in all Heroes games. The more troops you bleed, the longer it takes to get to the point where your unit stacks will simply one-shot most independent armies, and can push through the map with impunity. Sometimes it's worth it to sacrifice a few to immediately get a resource building with a weekly output, but only if that specific resource is the limiting factor of your expansion.

Hero roles: Building powerful heroes is not difficult, but it's very useful to have them specialize in a role.

Main combat hero:
This is usually the main protagonist of the campaign. Their job is to lug around the majority of your troops, and make the best of battles where casualties are unavoidable, such as taking enemy towns and killing their main heroes. You'll want this hero to be the biggest brick shithouse on the map with both defensive and offensive stats, abilities and artifacts.

Expansion hero:
An expansion hero kills independent armies and captures resource buildings using their hero abilities rather than lots of troops. Direct damage magic spells are the most obvious way to accomplish this, but judiciously used ranged units, or heals and resurrection abilities, or debuffs can get the desired results as well. An expansion hero typically has only a small stack of one specific unit with them, and mesh the troops' abilities with their own abilities to get flawless wins where they can.

Scout/Collector/Troop Ferry:
Your expansion and main heroes' time is way too precious for them to be picking up small gold and resource piles. Instead hire a cheap mook to trail after them and grab the stray stuff. Once map starts to clear up, you can use them to hire and transport units to the front lines, again letting your main heroes to concentrate on more important things.

Governor:
The usefulness of governor type heroes vary a lot between games, depending on what kind of governing abilities are available from game to game. Look for maps where getting additional towns is difficult; governor abilities that gain you additional troops per week can be game changers if you have to play with few towns.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm stuck with an iPad for gaming for a bit, and trying to get into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which is probably a bad idea given that I don't have a compatible controller.

Anyway, I've done the tutorial quests without problem, but I must have died 15 times in the first "real" one (hunt a velociraptor lookalike). I simply can't deal enough damage. Mostly using sword and shield, I haven't got the timing for slower weapons yet.

I can survive it and it's 2-3 buddies and even connect enough to kill the small ones, and do well enough one versus one, but the boss will just run away into some more backup after I stagger it once or twice. At this point I'll spend another 3-4 minutes dodging 3 overgrown lizards until I can focus again on the boss, just to watch it run away to the previous screen where the enemies have spawn again.

My latest run took 35 minutes, and I went through 4 whetstones (so I'm assuming I'm hitting things often enough), 3 rations and all my healing potions. I have to be doing something wrong. An upgraded weapon I'm missing? Some way to unlock bodyguard cats? This is driving me crazy.

The minor monsters will eventually stop respawning if you keep murdering them. Eventually you'll kinda figure out how they move, and can mostly ignore them. Except bullfangoes, of course, those need to die.

It's been a while since Unite, but I seem to remember Sword & Shield, Bow and Dual Swords just having outright bad damage output early on. Better Longswords and Hammers can be made from just the ores you mine, and are straightforward and quicker to kill. The Bulldrome hammer is the king of low rank, but you'll need to grind for a Bulldrome head which has a pretty low drop chance.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it fair to say then that arcanum is a game I should skip if I like games with good stories/workd-building, but dislike complex rpg mechanics?

I'm curious about the game but I don't wanna buy it if I'm gonna hate it. That $6 could buy me a coffee or most of a hamburger

You can just do the Harm spell + dex build, which turns the complex system into a simple and stupid one. Arcanum has a very interesting and unique world.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Black Mirror 1? I heard it's a bit Sierra-ish in regards to getting into unwinnable situations.

Oh yes. Keep multiple saves, and save often. When a new act begins, you'll always be in a good state. There are no dependencies from act to act.

At one point, the game will serve you a variant on the 15 tile sliding puzzle. There's a 50/50 chance that the puzzle generated is unsolvable, so don't save your game after seeing the puzzle, until you're sure you didn't get screwed.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Is Metro 2033 where I wanna play on Hardcore because if I don't, all the enemies are bullet sponges? Or is that just STALKER?

The atmosphere is the best part of Metro, it's not a very good shootmans game.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Back to my Jade Empire shenanigans, and I'm not expecting anyone to have an answer to this but I'm still gonna ask. After fiddling further with it and realizing that the controller mapping is borked to hell by default, I googled around until I found a workable controlscheme (used this video) that would let me actually use the triggers for something, actually use the sticks in at least a mildly reasonable way, and so on. Only problem is, after changing the .ini to this, for whatever reason I can only roll forward. Even if I double-tap left or right or backwards, my character just rolls forward. Anyone run into this issue before? Google is not helpful for this one. Seems like it'll make combat basically impossible.

Here's a paste of my .ini's controller mapping just in case: https://pastebin.com/3447X9yF

E: As an addendum, the same poo poo happens on keyboard too, even though I've only fiddled with controller mapping...I'm out of ideas myself. Does rolling directionally not work out of combat or something?

E2: Oh okay, that's apparently it...that's real dumb! Not just for being not at all intuitive but also because rolling is the best movement style in every game and now I can't use it properly :colbert:

Unfortunately, no method of control can fix the combat in the game. Do try out the different transformation styles when you get them, they at least make the fighting entertaining. Also consider taking the evil path, it's astoundingly Bioware!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Vadun posted:

Are there any tips for Enderal, the Total Conversion for Skyrim?

I played a tiny bit of Nehrim before, but I thought i'd give this one a serious try

Enderal has a much more classic RPG design than Skyrim. If you're getting your rear end handed to you, it's probably not because your skills suck, it's because you're in a too high level area. The early game is a bit rough in this respect, its very easy to run into difficult enemies. I lowered the difficulty level in the early game, since I got tired of running from most encounters. It evens out fairly soon. On the other hand, if you manage to sneak or bullshit your way to some chests in a difficult area, you might get your hands on some really good stuff early.

The companions you get on some quests (main story quests often have companions) are real powerhouses in combat. Taking one of those quests and picking all the fights you can along the way is a good way to get some easy loot and experience.

Money is actually valuable, since the skill books you eat to train skills are expensive. Their cost of the books increases with the skill level as well. What this means, is that the more cash you manage to make, the more focused you can be with your skill points. That being said, having a cheaper supportive skill, like a secondary magic school or whatever, is fine. There's more than enough experience available in the game.

Skyrim's shouts have been reworked as talents. The talents are very powerful, but they share their cooldown just like shouts did. You usually won't have enough time to use more than one talent in a single combat. Try to spend points only on talents that are useful in different kinds of situations, otherwise you'll just end up not using some of them.

Oh, and a bug that might not exist anymore, but had me confused for a bit: If the in-game map doesn't display properly, check out the .ini file fix from this page
https://forum.sureai.net/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=12764

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Any tips for Skyrim? Not special edition or whatever it's called if that makes a difference.

I like playing sneaky thief types in RPGs.

Pickpocket has limited uses in the game, Lockpicking just makes the already easy lockpicking minigame easier (it's more difficult on a controller though, if you're going that way).

You can choose from three focuses early in the game, consider taking The Mage or The Warrior over The Thief, even if you want to play stealthy. The actually useful thief skills pretty much train themselves.

Oh, and the SkyUI mod transforms the inventory management from awful to pretty good, consider it when you can't take it anymore.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 12, 2019

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I'd honestly say that it's a better game than vanilla Skyrim. It's really quite impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

The wiki didn't have anything for Lichdom: Battlemage.

I don't personally care about missing some content or rewards or other things like that. However, I understand that a part of the game is creating your own spells by combining things. Can I just experiment my way through this system? Or am I likely to get stuck with Bad Dumb Spell For Idiots, instead of having Good Spell Recommended By Actual Wizards?