Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So I think motorcycles are really cool and I want to get into biking. Posted a WTB on CL and got this as one of my responses:

ZL600 guy posted:

Idk make an offer 13k on the clock fresh tires and fluids all tune carbs valves etc daily rider
Somewere in the 12-15 range I'd say

I think he means 1200-1500. Are these good beginner bikes? I actually wanted a Ninja 250 but I like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I'm going to go look at this tomorrow. It's being sold by a local bike mechanic. Anything I should look for? It's kind of an old bike. He's asking $1500, is that reasonable? If I buy it, this would be my first motorcycle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't based on the fact that there's been engine work done. A solid 90% of mechanics have no idea what the hell they're doing, and the guys who have skills aren't making 10 bucks an hour at a dealership. This is even more true when you're talking about home "mechanics".

I wish it wasn't true, but the good mechanics I've ever seen anywhere have been few and far between, and the chances of one of the few good mechanics out there doing your valve seat job is low. Not to mention the question of why it needed that valve job and rings at that mileage. Points to abuse. At that price, I'd pass and wait for a solid, stock engine. At half the price, I'd go for it. I have never had anything but issues from any bike where someone besides the factory got deeper than a valve adjustment.

Thanks for the feedback. I did a little research on the guy and found his blog - http://rdrcr150-motorcycletech.blogspot.com/. He owns and operates a local shop that is, as far as I can tell, one of the only bike shops in town.

But if the bike's only worth $750 I'm going to hold out for something newer/less risky.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is a GPZ 550 too much bike for a beginner? I have my MSF and I've ridden a lot of scooters in Asia but never stateside. 6' 200lbs here. I looked into the new Ninja 300 as well.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4690487014.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

eliminator 125

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

hey thread

I just moved to southern california and need something to get around on (because apparently walking is frowned on / will get you run over)

I was offered this ZG1000 which seems to be in decent shape for $1500

it comes with the original panniers (not pictured)

I'm coming from a CB-1 which is a very different bike, but this one looks really nice, what do you guys think?

Also my CB-1 is for sale if anyone wants one. It's back in Tennessee though. http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/5416198122.html

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 4, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Going to check out a few bikes this week in SoCal as I just moved and renting a car is getting expensive. What should I look for in an F4i with low miles? What about a monster 696, are those worth buying? Cheers friends

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I ended up getting a new fz 07. It's pretty nice. I'll post pics when it's sunny out tomorrow. Got it for six thousand. Already put 200 miles on it since yesterday. If anyone in Ventura county wants to cruise around pm me, I don't know anyone in this state. Cheers thread

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

There's also the CB650f which looks neat if you're going to look at hondas

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I love my FZ-07. Had it 2 weeks and I'm already at the 600 mile first service interval.

It's supposedly powerful enough to lift the front wheel under full throttle (I haven't tested this yet)

It's all torque though, it's great for riding in traffic. lots of passing power in any gear. the crossplane twin sounds pretty cool too, although I still prefer my CB-1 at 13,000rpm

It only weighs 400 lbs with gas and everything so I would think it's pretty manageable for a newbie. I'm still a newbie and I haven't crashed it yet fwiw. it's light enough to just stick your foot out if you're about to drop it and prevent that. I have decent balance from commuting on a fixed gear bicycle for several years that it doesn't come up that often. hopefully also got crashing out of my system on the bicycles

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Not good. I'm looking at getting that givi windscreen off revzilla

Riding full tuck above 70 for the most part

I've also only done the 101/ pch which is notoriously windy

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

You'll grow neck muscles if you don't stunt them with a windshield.

Haha, it's more that the wind is deafening. I haven't done interstate since I got earplugs though, that may be good enough

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I've considered a windscreen as well but they just make the bike look like a loving queen alien:

The Givi one I mentioned didn't look *that* stupid on the website:

but I'd really like to see it in person before buying. I definitely like the handguards though.

\/\/ okay :smith: \/\/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Seriously though, I have it narrowed down to a handful of SV650s and a CBR500R. There is an SV650S, bananas yellow. 2004, very clean, about 8k miles, handful of mods. The guy is asking 3500, which feels pretty high. What would you guys pay for that bike? The CBR is a 2013, 11k miles, also very clean. Dude is asking around 3400 I think, seems reasonable, maybe I get it for 3000-3200 or so. I like both both bikes, I guess it will just come down to seeing which I like the feel of best. Any input?

does the CBR have ABS? that would be a clincher for me. but also because i like hondas better than everything by default

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Haha, the Poconos

realtalk get something fuel injected

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 12, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

get the CB1000r it looks dope

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The FZ-07 has a really small tank too fyi

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

So with the FZ07 gone and me with 2 months of recovery, it's time to start thinking of a replacement.

I'd like better distance capability and two-up comfort for weekend rides to the cottage , but still something I can haul rear end on when she's not on the back and also commute with daily.

A VFR800 seems to check those boxes, and I really like the new generation.

Other requirements: an engine that doesn't suck (no 180 or 360 deg ptwins), ABS brakes.

FJ-09?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Not sure if I wanna go full dadbike yet. I met a 70 year old FJ09 rider a few weeks ago.

I think the VFR800 is squarely in DadBike territory

CB1100? CB1000r?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

are you only looking at euro bikes?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

nah by then you should be riding a busa with a bandana for a helmet

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Once you're done with all the gear purchases you'll quickly realize bike as savings is a total fantasy.

Still totally worth it!

Cheaper than a car, not cheap as a second vehicle though

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

some people ride in the rain you know

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The dealer I bought my FZ from had a Triumph Trophy in the showroom. The thing is massive, like it doesn't look fun to ride at all. At some point you should just get a car

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Ninja 1000 or VFR1200? Both can be had with low kms for under $10k CAD around here, I'd like it for commuting and touring two-up pretty frequently. I'm looking at these as they are on the sportier side of sport touring. The 2014+ VFR800s just don't have enough value in them for the asking price, goddamn they're overpriced.

vfr

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

You'll get bored of the V Star imo, get a used VMAX

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

pokie posted:

Hi guys. I got a Ninja 300 a couple months back and put 1200 miles on it, a lot of them on CA twisties. I am curious what a logical upgrade progression is if I want to go the naked bike route and how do I evaluate when I am ready to get one? I got a nice new job offer so I want to celebrate, but I also want to stay safe and not over-ride my skill limit. The sexiest bike I have seen so far is MV Brutale, and, yeah, I read about the sprag clutch thing in the thread.

VVV Oh yeah, ABS strongly preferred. A riding buddy has a FZ-07 and it is sweet, but does not have an ABS option.

I'm confused, you only have 1200 miles riding experience and you want to move up displacement already? Did you mean 12,000, or maybe 120,000?

The FZ-07 is not really an upgrade to the ninja except for power, they are both entry level bikes. The ninja will handle and brake as well or better than an FZ.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I was waiting for the ninja 250 is enough bike for everybody forever guy to chime in

Haha it's mostly my buyer's remorse doing the chiming. I think I would have been as happy with the 300ABS as I am with my FZ and my wallet would be about $3k heavier

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

why is the 70 better?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Barnsy posted:

Test rode a VFR800 today. Very nice bike. Surprisingly sporty position. All the creature comfort (heated grips, TC) were great, and holy crap is that v4 fun. Had to calm myself down, kept trying get VTEC to kick in.

I want one so bad. With a centerstand, please!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well they made the new one a tad lighter so I assume it's now the perfect bike is what I hear you saying and I should finance one new yes?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

How narrow are they? Sport tourers don't seem awesome at lanesplitting. But the super wide handlebars on my FZ 07 aren't too great either I suppose. Also, I keep knocking mirrors with cars. The stock mirrors on an FZ are the most worthless mirrors ever, they just point directly at my shoulders.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Do bar ends gently caress up lanesplitting though? I guess I'm already knocking mirrors with cars so it can't get any worse

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm just going to get one of those helmets with a rear view camera built in

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

For me it's the F250's. And somehow landscaping trucks. Those drivers don't give a gently caress though

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It always happens to me on the 1 right out of LA going towards Malibu. They cram three lanes where two should be so it's super narrow. I should clarify that this is more like filtering than lanesplitting, because traffic is stopped and I'm doing like 10mph max. I just need to fold the mirrors in

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

I bought a VFR800.

Black 2006 ABS model with matching Honda luggage and some other goodies. I pick it up Tuesday.

Woohoo.

Pics? Honestly might be might next bike. Going to put 10k miles on the FZ07 and trade it for something with ABS and vtec

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Which also has a stupidly small tank, though not as small as the SCR.

I don't know what's up with Yamaha, but they've come out with a couple of neat bikes recently but ruined it by putting tiny tanks on them so you have to stop all the time. Blargh.

I did 150 miles on my FZ 07 tank before the reserve light started blinking this weekend. How many miles do normal bikes get per tank?

My last bike, a 4 cylinder honda with a 3.3 gal tank, usually ran about 90 miles before reserve

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What's so great about buells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I guess belt drive seems pretty cool. Like less maintenance.