Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Looking for some input. I've been riding a Shadow 750 variant for two years. It's my first bike, and while I've enjoyed the hell out of my time with it I'm looking to get into something a little sportier. My body type (5'11", 220lbs) leans me more towards a standard as opposed to straight sports bike. I haven't test ridden any yet and am just compiling a list to check out. I'm currently looking at:

Honda CBR500R / CB500F - These seem tailor made for starter 'sport' guys like me. I hear the CBR sits more like a standard than a fully aggressive-stanced sport bike. Hell of a steal for the cost and ABS is always a bonus.
Triumph Street Triple - Pricier, but I've read they're one of the best all-rounders available.
Kawasaki FZ-09 - Cheaper than the Triumph, but reviews say choppy power delivery, which sorta puts me on edge especially since every review shines on about how easy wheelies are with it. As a first time sports rider, sounds daunting.

If I've missed any please let me know. Quick notes, I'm looking for new not used, and sub $10k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the input, guys. I hadn't considered the Ninja 650 because I had written it off as "too sporty" but I'll certainly add it to the list of consideration.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I really want to try the CB500F/R but all of the dealers in my area are being super sketchy about test rides. One of them even told me they basically weren't going to let me ride one without signed sales paperwork. When I made the point that's a ridiculous policy akin to someone buying a car without driving it he basically said "Welp."

Is this a normal policy or are all the guys in my area just shitlords?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So does anyone have any hands on experience with the MT/FZ-09 and if so is the throttle as twitchy as every reviewer with an internet connection says? Looking at it vs. its little brother the 07.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the input. Haven't been able to actually ride either (seriously, this loving industry is the only one where you're expected to drop this kind of money without actually trying it out) but both were comfortable enough for me to put a leg over. I was just trying to get past the hyperbolic "BETTER THAN THE FZ09?!?!" cult the 07 seems to be building.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
In the US: I'm looking for a used sport-tourer that would handle daily commuting well and also the occasional couple-day highway rides with a passenger. I'm leaning towards a Ninja 1000 as the other usual suspects (FJR, ST1300) seem boring or huge in comparison. "Adventure" bikes are way overcosted in my area so that's a non starter.

Basically hey are my assumptions right or is there a bike I haven't put in for consideration?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arson Daily posted:

Tiger 1050. Sits up tall like a trailie but is on road only so idiots in aerostitch wont drive up the price. Great motor and not much to go wrong. Plus it's got a huge aftermarket so you can put whatever you want on it. I'm biased because it's been my main ride for the last 10 years but I've enjoyed every mile.

Hey gently caress you I wear an aerostitch! Actually I'm looking at a Sprint ST this week, I assume same engine, anything I should look out for?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Cool to see a reasonable request caused a piss fit in some posters.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone have experience with the Z900? Individual reviews seem to love it but it tends to get forgotten in the usual naked comparisons.

Considering a Trident but for $1000 more you're in Z900 territory, or lightly used Striple prices.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

ArcticZombie posted:

If you're cross-shopping the Trident, I'm going to assume you mean the Z900RS, not the bug Z900. I have a black RS and it's :swoon: Isn't there some murmurs of a Z650RS for this year?

Not particularly, as the RS is about $2300 more and I used to have a Street Triple so insect morphology doesn't bother me. Looking better isn't really worth a 20% markup (I know, I know, it's more than cosmetic differences but still).

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

doomisland posted:

Yeah I was thinking the step up from ~50HP on what I have to ~100HP would be more than enough to ride back roads as I have been. The Ducati seems interesting and it helps there is a dealer with stock 2 miles from me but aren't there huge maintenance costs/issues with them or has that been resolved in the last few years. The Honda was nice since it was super easy to maintain and always ran without issues. This is mainly why I was leaning towards the Japanese manufacturers in general. Also I'm on the taller side at over 6' so not sure if that rules out any of the listed bikes I was thinking of getting. Need to get out and start sitting on them I think.

Just a heads up the Z900 is more akin to the next rung above what you're comparing. It's heavier and claims 125hp / 73ft.lb torque. I've got one and it isn't a beast or anything, quite the opposite in day to day use but I figured I'd chime in and say the Z650 would be more in line with the other bikes you listed.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Anyway, I've done enough shitposting about carburetors for one day. Other than the usual bike stuff, is there anything model specific to keep an eye out for on a 675cc Street Triple R? (2016 for reference).

I had a 2015 with a persistent oil leak at the crankcase. Dunno how widespread that was though.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah they're fine. It's just olds wanting them to look old. As for the electronics I had mine for 3 years / 20k miles and never had a single issue. I'd still have that drat bike if I hadn't of moved overseas.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Would I be an idiot for looking at a 2011 Multistrada w/36k miles?
Searches seem to say it's fairly reliable other than a few recalls and the usual 'ethanol is destroying our gas tanks' talk on other forums but I wanted to avoid as much :italy: as possible.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

I wandered around the Yamaha garage wanting to check out a Tracer 9 GT+, they only had a 7 which looked pretty bad. There was a used base 9 which I was expecting to like but likewise it looks very boring. I'll try and test one out but I just can't get excited about them. The Tenere 700s look pretty nice, not sure how they would be as commuters.

I've got the previous gen 900GT and yeah, it's underwhelming as a bike. Great value for the kit that's on it, and I scooped it for a song from the PO but I'm already looking to sell come spring.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone ridden the 8R yet? I'm looking for a sporty all rounder and had my heart set on a new Street Triple until I got my insurance quote for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I used to have a '15 Striple R and miss it badly. There's a demo day next week I'll check out and see if I can get at least 85% of the feels for 50% of the costs.