Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

I think that's literally the max amount. I forget where I read it, maybe even in the service manual. It's also possible to have valves hit ever so slightly and still run ok but later the head breaks off after hitting the valve seat crooked and snapping the stem 10k miles later or whatever.

I had an aftermarket tensioner fail on my 07 legacy and it jumped 3 teeth. I replaced the tensioner and belt with OEM ones and the car was fine and ran for another 80000km before I sold it. No perceivable change in power or gas mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Realtalk, if i can find a long block at a decent price, i'll buy a craigslist engine hoist and swap that motherfucker out with my own blood sweat and tears. It seems like the least horrible configuration to do a swap on, from what I can tell. No turbo poo poo or whatever to deal with.

and then i'll sell it and whatever's left over i'll put into a bus pass for the ex

Let me just say that if you do find the long block you can do the swap with a buddy in under 8 hours hungover from a night of partying. With all the problems these engines have Subaru atleast made them easy to pull. Save time by bungie cording the AC compressor and power steering pump out of the way without cracking the lines.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Not to take anything from your fight but windowing a block usually doesn't happen that often. Do you have any idea what happened?

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a normal setup that the VA STI people run to get more rotation out of the car?

Also, is there anything 'required' to make them a little more reliable in stock motor form when tracked? It would be rad if a 17x10 +55 fit, but I haven't looked at wheel fitment at all yet.

I have a 15 STI and a bigger rear sway and some more camber in the front made it neutral. I zeroed out the toe which I feel made it easier to rotate and fling round.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Android Auto is much better than it used to be and Waze is amazing to use as your main navigation. Has saved me from countless tickets already.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I had a gates tensioner fail so everyone please go out and get a Subaru OEM one it's not worth the hassle. Also I've heard talk that there's a bleeding procedure but I may be wrong.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

simplefish posted:

Welp I failed my annual check

Parking lights not working
Rear wheel bearing rough on rotation

The parking lights I can do myself but does anyone have an idea of how many hours' labour the wheel bearing should be?

Most rear wheel bearings are a hub unit. If your car doesn't have a lot of rust it should be a simple job, plus the hub is cheap on rockauto. It's 4 bolts for the hub and then pull it off the half shaft. I'd say 1 hour of work.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I've seen 3 Subaru CVTs die from just people I know. Subaru lost a class action lawsuit in the US because of them. They are truly horrible unreliable pieces of poo poo. Don't buy one.

Buy a manual Subaru or one with a regular automatic transmission.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I think the cross trek still comes with a manual. Also the impeza hatch back as well.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I have the hill hold thing on my STI and it's fantastic. Though like once in a while on an almost completely flat ground it will come on when I'm not expecting it and I'll almost stall the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I'm running ohlins on my VA and they are fantastic.