Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the trump tutelage posted:

:ohdear:

How do you stop it from sliding out?

The Yakima Rail Grab thing clamps down on to it with a screw.

I sprayed my galvanized bars with bedliner or something. Plastidip was too weak and tore up. You can prep with some fancy primer or some white vinegar to etch the surface for the paint to grip. I have the ends where the Rail Grab grips on wrapped in electrical tape, which probably isn't necessary, but the Yakima brand round bars are a narrower metal bar wrapped in thick plastic, so I thought it would help.

Also, with the round bars, a fairing makes a huge difference in wind noise. Also, if you do go cheap and buy your own pipe, you'll want to cover or close up the ends so you don't get a "whoooooo" the whole time you're driving. The Yakima bars come with plastic caps that fit in the ends.

If you're concerned about cushioning, you can cut up a pool noodle to fit on the bar, or the home depot store sell closed-cell foam pipe insulation for like $2.

If you're going to leave it on all the time, pay up for the aero bars. I take a pretty good mpg hit with this roof rack on, so I only put it on when I use it.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

McSpatula posted:

It's summer, so the used market should be pretty good right about now. Find your nearest ski town and start checking craigslist/ebay/forums for crossbars and get a new set of canoe straps for like $25 from REI.

Home depot brand ratchet straps are $13 for a set of 4.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can technically put H9 bulbs in the headlights. They're identical to the stock H11 in terms of generating beam pattern, so there will be no excessive glare or blinding - just brighter due to more wattage and a shorter life because so. You'd have to shave off a plastic tab so they fit the plug, or buy an adapter plug. Just drive the car at night and see if they suck, they most likely don't.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I also read somewhere that the spark plug change interval is at 60k even with iridium plugs because of carbon buildup from all of the oil that Subaru says these engines don't burn.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

16 WRX. I have a non-highway commute and average 25. I get about 32-34 on the highway.

I average about 19-20 city if I don't drive like a grandma, however.

That's some poo poo, my basic 2012 Impreza got 34 once on a trip of 4 hours of flat 50 mph country roads. I've been averaging 21-24 puttering around town all city. If only the WRX didn't abandon the hatch.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Myrmidongs posted:

I just got myself a 2016 Impreza Sport Premium hatch. Does anyone happen to know a bumper protector such as this one that will fit?

I'm finding a lot of conflicting answers on the ones I'm seeing on whether or not they will work.

It should, they're mostly the same as the XV. I have the heavy duty clear vinyl one on my 2012 which has worked fine so far.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is X Mode just modulating throttle input, turning up traction control to 11, and keeping the revs in the torque? Or is there really some kind of fake low range "gearing" going on?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is that even worth it vs just trading the Impreza in on a similar age/miles Crosstrek? I mean, the Crosstrek has a couple of differences over the Impreza other than height - I think gearing and something is stiffer/reinforced, iirc.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can borrow a spring compressor from PepBoys or whatever, they're really easy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Only info I've found is that they break a lot and don't seem to be sold separate from the whole visor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone got a 3d printer?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2522820

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does Subaru need some kind of special rearview mirror adhesive?

I had my windshield replaced three years ago. The mirror fell off two years ago. I used Permatex adhesive, it fell off again last summer. I used Permatex Extreme, it fell off again yesterday.

It seems like it doesn't like these extremely hot summer days. Any other options?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So much for 3M

I scraped the window and the button clean with a razor. Cleaned with 95% alcohol. I let it air dry. Applied activator. Let it dry for 5 minutes as directed. Applied one drop of adhesive. Held in place for a minute, let it cure for 45 minutes (recommended 15.) Didn't even last 24 hours.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My brother-in-law bought a Forester XT in 2014.

10,000 miles in, he was driving to Las Vegas when "a valve dropped" and the engine blew up. Subaru replaced the whole engine, but something was screwed up and it bucked and revved and eventually they gave him a whole new car.

A year later, he was driving to Mammoth, and "spark knock caused a spark plug to crack" and the car stopped running dead on the 5 before even getting past LA.

Yesterday, he was driving to Las Vegas again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm sensing a common component and it isn't the car.

I'm not going to defend him as a driver. He bought the car because he lets Eyesight do half the driving for him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've mostly used Mobil 1, but have also used Pennzoil and Shell when they were on sale.

I think you're also allowed to top off with 5w30, but not a full fill, it mentions that in the manual for my 2012, but it may be different for yours.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Absolutely no brand wiper has worked well on the passenger side window of my 2012 Impreza. The only one that worked good came with the car. The glass has an odd curve to it or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My side skirt looked a little loose, one of the mounting points seems to have broken. I don't want to buy a whole new side skirt. Can I epoxy this or something?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I tacked it in place with superglue and epoxied all over it. We will see.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mill Village posted:

My 2018 Impreza Base headlights are not as bright as I want them to be. Any bulb recommendations? I thought these might be a good option.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...sset/3924/8559/

I wouldn't. If it's H11 stock bulbs, get the H9's. Look up H11 to H9 conversion.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

White/blue light is atrocious.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So, uh, I pulled out of a driveway at like 2 mph and went over the curb a bit and the car went bump, and the mirror pulled a chunk of glass out of the attachment point. :wtc:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

I wonder if this means my '12 Impreza will blow up after I get it recall fixed. (I haven't checked the VIN but I'm just assuming it's needed)

I got the recall on my 2012, but haven't taken it in. I'm glad I didn't.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any tips on getting the evap system code to reset in a 2012 Impreza?

I had the valve spring recall done, and that reset all the data. Now I'm trying to get it smogged, but it won't pass without the evap.

I've put over 400 miles on it since the recall work. I've driven on the freeway from 3/4 tank of gas down to 1/4. I've settled in behind trucks and cruised between 55-60 mph. It's been all gentle driving and within what I understand are the hilariously narrow parameters that are supposed to get the evap reading.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just bought an Outback Wilderness. Feels good to be back in a Subaru.

Not sure if I want to get mudflaps. I've had Rally Armor before and they were too floppy. I've had Rokblokz before and they were too stiff. I'm wondering how much of a benefit either made.

Subaru is no longer making/selling the factory skid plates that the Wilderness launched with. I feel like the oil pan and transmission pan should probably be covered. Is a rear differential skid worth it? Are there good alternatives to Primitive Racing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I could probably stand next to the engine in the engine bay of my old truck, now I'm trying to figure out how to find space for the tiniest things.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The newer CVTs are supposed to be better. But also I see some people changing their fluid every 30k.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

On the outback you still have buttons for changing the temperature, front/rear defrost and volume/power. Other than the lack of a play/pause button it seems like a good setup.

The buttons are fine and the major touchscreen controls are always up front and in the same spot. I don't entirely hate it.

However, the angle it's mounted at reflects the sun into your eyes at all times.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Unfortunate. It is more upright on the outback so that isn’t as much of an issue. Oops.

This is the Outback, which I have.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Hi thread, non Subaru owner here popping in with a question because I'm finding conflicting information online, and hoping one of you might know the answer.

I've been exploring cars for an upcoming purchase and have been evaluating the 2024 Legacy Sport model. One of the reviews I read mentioned a few negatives that I hadn't read in other reviews:

1. The automatic "stop-start" system.
2. Forward collision warning is overly sensitive and will pump the brakes and sound alerts as you come gradually to a stop.
3. AVH can be annoying.

I've been unable to find out if these are only on by default and can be turned off, or if they're on by default and cannot be deactivated. Someone on a recent page mentioned that you can turn down the sensitivity of some of the EyeSight features, which might be where the collision warning / braking thing can be adjusted, but what about the stop-start "feature" and AVH?

1. It sucks and the car lurches when it starts itself. Its not as quick or smooth as systems on other cars I've driven.
2. I never once had an issue but a few people are loud complainers.
3. This was off for me by default.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mutata posted:

Opinions on the Outback Wilderness? Worth the price markup or no?

If you want to have slightly better offroad capability from the factory, sure.

Pro: Turbo, 1" taller springs, Yokohama AT Tires, Full Size Spare, Final Drive from the Ascent for more torque and better climbing capability, Dual Function X Mode, heavier roof rails support up to 700lbs static load, also tie down points on the rails, StarTex waterproof seat material, LED fog lights, 17" wheels for more sidewall cushioning offroad. First year models came with factory skid plates, but Russia was making those and a war happened, so now they ship with standard plastic underbody shields. You can still find the Subaru brand ones at some dealers to purchase separately, but stock is limited. 2024+ comes with HarmanKardon and heated steering wheel standard. Heated steering wheel not available on previous years.

Con: Worse MPG (26 vs 30 highway) due to final drive and AT tires, seats do not breathe at all, no included fold-out cross bars

The additional ground clearance is still hindered by the atrocious approach angle. If you're planning a lift or new tires on a standard model, it might be worth it to get the Wilderness to not have to do that. If you're planning on driving places with steep climbs, it might be worth it to get the Wilderness. If you want air conditioned seats, the Wilderness doesn't have these. If you want to spend less money, I've seen minivans and Focus STs on all of the fire roads and trails I've been on, so you'll probably be fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had a loaner Outback in 2019 and I hated the eyesight. It was very aggressive and kept moving my steering wheel. In my 2024, the new version just beeps at me sometimes and hasn't tried to take control.

The lane holding cruise control doesn't work well in cross winds. You keep bouncing from one side of the lane to the other.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

mutata posted:

I didn't really listen to any of you, sorry.

:whatup:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The crush washer was stuck hard to my drain bolt first oil change. Had to pry it off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

daslog posted:

They don't work well with skid plates. Ask me how I know!

My Primitive skid plates came with a Fumoto valve.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

Any recommendations for a trailer hitch for a 19 Ascent? I have looked around; Curt seems to be the main brand I see floating about. Anything else I'm overlooking? I want the hidden one, etc.

I've got the OEM Subaru hitch on my Outback Wilderness. It replaces the crash bar and bolts right in. Its requires dropping the mufflers to get access, but the kit comes with new nuts and gaskets. I would advise leaving all of the bolts for the hitch VERY loose until its all assembled before torquing everything as you will need wiggle room to get it all lined up.

Not sure how it works on the Ascent, but the OBW requires cutting out a section of the bumper cover. If you take your time and pay attention and go slow, there are no problems. Dealers seem to screw it up all the time though,

edit - Wow, this is even easier than the Outback and comes with a 7-pin harness. Extremely low effort install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVa4XhGAfFU

Catatron Prime posted:

Curt is what I purchased for my Outback -- specifically this one that just mounted up on the rear bumper bolts and didn't require drilling into the frame to fish the mounting hardware up inside. Hopefully it's better for the ascent, but just keep in mind how the thing is mounted when you're looking at the available options.

Speaking of towing, is there anything I can do to decrease the rear wheel sag? I put new strut assemblies on, but they're not quite up to snuff. The tongue weight is pretty close to the 200lb limit and that has me wondering whether it's actually worthwhile to install something like Rallitek overloaded springs, or whether there is anything else I could do that would be worthwhile (as opposed to just purchasing another tow vehicle)

Some people recommend the overload springs, but you'll see a stiffer ride when unloaded. This can be good or bad depending on your preferences.

Other products include Sumo Springs inserts, but some people claim that its creating a fake variable rate spring and may put increased wear on your springs, but YMMV.

Then there's always custom airbag systems.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Also not sure where you put supplemental airbags on an IRS strut suspension.

Its a single unit - strut and airbag. There is no spring.

https://accuair.com/collections/air-struts