Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

My 04 in some field in kansas. Anyone know where I can get a new tail light assembly? Somehow it was broken in the lot the other day. 2 days earlier some drunk ran over my roof and dented it as well as my tailgate. My wagon has had a tough few weeks. I am gonna miss it when I go to Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I am about to get back from Afghanistan, and I am looking real hard at an 09 WRX, hoping to buy late Sept, early Oct. Two extra things I should add, I have a mostly stock 2004 WRX Wagon (accessport st 1 and new tires) and I am in the process of buying a house. I understand a house can be quit the money pit when you first move in.
I am wondering if trading in my 04 is wise. It was also in a fender bender, but drives fine and is under 40K miles. I dont take it to the track or any of that stuff. Is my timeframe a good time to get a end of the year deal on a 09, or are they all gone by then, and I will have to deal with the new '10s? Any recommendations?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Random question on my 04 WRX wagon. As far as I can tell the cruise control is crap. When set on flat road it lets the car drop 3-4 mph before engaging and resuming the set speed. When on cruise on hilly areas it will let the car slow down 3-4 mph after hitting the bottom of the hill before resuming speed on the climb. My 225K mile Tacoma still keeps it within .5 at all times for comparison as does my brothers 06 Outback sport. Is this a normal Subaru thing, or should I get it checked out?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Both mine and my brothers are MT

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Heat maybe?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Saga posted:

Can anyone comment on stock 98-03 Legacy wagon handling versus classic and bugeye non-turbo imprezas?

There are a couple 2.5GX Legacies around, but I haven't driven a pre-04 Legacy before.

Slightly stodgier Impreza, or wobbly blunt instrument (again, I'm talking GX not a GT-B, RS or other JDM toooooner version)? Not sure whether to cross them off my shopping list.

You do see them with the climate control and fancy stereo (some Imprezas round here still came with tape decks in this century, it appears), plus a lot more load space than the Impreza, but it sounds like a lot of extra weight.

My 04 WRX has a tape deck standard. I use it for mp3 as there is no aux input.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Two questions here:

Was on my way to work in my 04 WRX, and being a fool slipped the clutch a little in the top 1/3 of the rpm range while accelerating away onto a highway. Came to a stop at a red light a little later and had lost the ability to put my car in any gear. Nothing except a burning clutch smell. Pushed my still idling car out of the road into the median area and called for a tow. Then after about 10 minutes the ability to put it in gear came back and away I went. That was 2 weeks ago, the car drives fine, no noise or smells from underneath. Car seems back to normal. FWIW, there is about 75K on the odo, and the clutch is original. Is there some "idiot-lock-out-mode" I discovered or is something near the end of its service life?

Part two, the fiance and I like the wrx and her 2002 Jetta wagon 1.8T is starting to be less and less reliable. We are planning for another subie. We are both leaning towards another WRX. I hear the 2006/7 is a good vintage. We could swing a newer one, but if the 06 will meet our needs well enough, should we just go that route? Thoughts on this?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
In 2006 did subaru make any WRXs in colors other than shades of grey?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
All I see around here after looking are grey, although I admit I did not know there were some many varieties. Anyway, thanks for clearing it up a little.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 04 WRX wagon is acting up again. It has 77k on the odometer, manual transmission, and Cobb Stage 1 as the only mod. I changed the coolant back in Jan/Feb, and the car had been fine. In the last day or so I smelled coolant burning, and finally looked under the hood after the temp gauge starting wandering up and down, and I found that the overflow reservoir was just about empty, and there are coolant stains/residue all over the front of the engine, air intake, radiator, as well as the top of the exhaust. It looks like there is some sort of leak, however I could not recreate it in the driveway. There has not been any puddles under the car either. I added some coolant to fill the overflow tank to the full line to buy myself some time. I plan to take the car in ASAP, I was just wondering if anyone knew what I am/may be looking at here. FWIW, I checked the oil and it seemed normal, and the exhaust is also normal with no white smoke. Are there other signs of a blown head gasket or other major issues I should look for?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Got myself a 09 WRX today. Off to the DMV tomorrow!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Can anyone recommend a good hitch/bike rack combo for a 04 WRX wagon?
I looked at roof mount but that seems much more costly. No more than two bikes would be carried.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I finally did my plugs today, I used the ones called for in the owners manual. The drivers rear was pretty hairy but the car seems to run. When I got the air intake stuff off I noticed a bit of oil on the side of the engine.

Any ideas on what could cause this and how bad it may be?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My new-to-me 2009 WRX has what sounds like a bathtub full of water hiding under the passenger seat. I only hear it after the car has sat in the rain all night, and after a day it vanishes. I assume water is collecting somewhere, but a quick look at the trim panels under the doors revealed nothing. Anyone else have this issue?

Second, my wife drives a 2004 WRX, and at 88K I was starting to look into doing the Timing Belt Service on my own. I have done the brakes, changed coolant, transmission oil, engine oil, brake fluid and spark plugs. Is the timing belt/waterpump/tensioner/idlers doable for someone like me with limited experience?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The sunroof drain hose comes out in front of that general area (closer to the front wheelwell if not in front of it), you should hop under there and go take a look and see if it's plugged.

No sunroof if that matters.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So does anyone sell new up pipes for a 2004 WRX? Mine is pretty much all original at 86K and I keep hearing how I need to get rid of the stock up pipe. Only mods are new tires and Cobb AP Stage 1.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The other day I took the passenger side skirt off my 09 WRX wagon to find where the water was collecting after a rain. I either broke or lost two of the plastic plugs and put some waterproof tape over the gaps.
I also noticed a small rubber plug on the underside of the car a few inches behind the front wheel well. There was a bit of water forming to drop at the spot so I pulled it out and a small amount of water came out. The paint was absent around the skirt of the plug, as it the body was painted with it inserted.
I replaced the plug and after the rain last night the water was back. It was still there after sitting out of the rain all day so I removed the same plug and a maybe half a liter drained out. It seems the water gets in through the holes in the body made to receive the plastic plugs, but only on the passenger side. Not sure what is different about that side though. This seems like a good way to create all sorts of nasty rust, but I don't see any other simple way.
For what's it's worth, the plastic liners in the wheel wells seem to somehow suck up leaves and hold them till they rot as a live worm fell out while I was working the skirt issue.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I had an airbag light come and go on my 04 WRX years back. The dealer traced it to chewed insulation on a sensor wire somewhere, which made sense as my car had a bad infestation after my dad parked it in the bottom of his yard while I was at sea for 9 months. It seems the mice and rats have a fondness for Subaru wire insulation.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Latest issue on my 2004 Wrx wagon: no A/C as of today. Worked fine when last used in December. Pretty sure the defrost has been run more recently but the wife drives this car mostly and she can't recall.

The little green LED comes on steady when pushed, like normal but the compressor does not move. The fuse in the cabin was fine and I tried swapping the relay with one of the fan relays with no change. With the a/c "on' I checked the voltage going to the relay and got about 13.5 volts.
I really don't know what I do next short of taking it to the mechanic. I understand the compressor will not engage with no 134a in the system but I don't know how I go about checking that.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I got a wave in my 09 today on I95 from a guy in a 12 or 13.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is $300 for a set of 2002 WRX OEM wheels with Blizzak REVO 205/R16 tires a good deal?

The tires allegedly have 1500 miles on them.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone want to buy a set of Rally Armor flaps? Black with red logo that came off a 2009 WRX hatch. You will need to get some of the mounting hardware as I needed the stainless screws to replace the trim buttons they replaced. Dunno what they are worth, but they were on my car for about 3 months and I decided I did not like them.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I had the same problem with my 04 wrx wagon. Refrigerant leaked out and the compressor will not run with no pressure.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, I just had to replace the clutch on it, the flywheel also went to poo poo and was the most expensive part of replacing it.

I live in Michigan, so anything local is probably gonna have rust. Lookin pretty much anywhere for one though, I'm willing to drive for it. There's one in Memphis that's high mileage (200k), but it's 1 owner. A buddy (who knows more about cars than me) is gonna go check it out for me. There's some near me that I'm gonna go look at when I get some time, but there's not many to choose from and if nothing shakes out, I'll widen my view to "newer" models. I know no matter what I'm probably gonna need to sink money into repairs cause they're old, so I'm prepared for that. Neptr, I think the wagons are hideous so that's right out :I

Thanks for the words guys, gonna go back to readin this massive thread to basically convince myself even more to do this :v:

There is also the Saabaru option...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My WRX got rear ended this afternoon in a left turn lane at a red light. Very slow speed and not much visible damage. The other driver spoke no english and wanted to pay me cash for my trouble. I have seen enough nightmare stories on here to insist on getting insurance and doing it legit. Insurance was notified so I can have a body shop take a look. Is there a possibility of a cracked bumper internally? Externally there is just some scuffing (inch or so) on the plastic which I am not really concerned about. The car has about 90K on it, so there are some scars already there I don't care about anymore.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

If it was just a love tap that scarred the rear bumper cover, chances are that you haven't severely damaged the bumper cover inside. I would still get a body shop to look over it to make sure everything is fine and that the exhaust tip hasn't been damaged (potentially causing an exhaust leak by having the exhaust absorb the impact against its own gaskets and mounts). It sounds like it will be alright.

Speaking as someone who has jumped up and down on a front bumper taken off of a Corolla they are frighteningly tough to internal stress fractures. I've only ever seen bumpers crack here from love taps in -30'C weather; the entire paint comes flying off in a spectacular shards-of-glass display along the fracture.

The scuff might be able to be taken off with rubbing compound.

Good to know, I had not thought about the potential exhaust issue. I don't really care about the scratch, there are plenty of others already.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
If one were to maybe be buying a used accessport, what should one be looking for to make sure the thing is not married to a car? What accessories should be included?

In addition, if I were to buy a cobb uppipe to replace the catted uppipe on my 04 wrx, is there an off the shelf map cobb supplies that will take care of the CEL and other related issues with a new uppipe?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So I have had the pleasure of owning a 04 wrx wagon and a 09 wrx wagon/hatch since last summer. The wife usually drives the 04, and I the 09, but we switched so she can have the better a/c for the next few months. Is it me, or does the 04 wrx handle much better than the newer models/09? It feels much more responsive, for lack of a better word. The older wrx also feels more solid and the interior feels of better quality materials. Is this me? The two cars both have all season tires of similar specs.

I just seem to get out of the 04 with a grin more than the 09. Can anyone comment on this? Is it all in my head? My wife gets the same feeling fwiw, but neither of us track or auto x or anything like that.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

The GE/GH/GR had a lot of stuff taken out of it. Flimsy bumpers, poor quality interior materials, fat people seats, crappy Legacy rear suspension, swiss cheese pistons, open diff in the WRX, the list goes on. About the only thing they did right was add more power in '09 and not raise the weight too much.

Seems to gibe with my experience. The car is still fun, mostly due to what you said, it is pretty drat fast on on-ramps and the like.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
What is the normal procedure for researching a particular vehicle that happens to be 6 hours away? Wife and I are looking for a 07 WRX wagon (drat near impossible to find any anywhere) and found one in Ohio. We are not sure how to proceed with vetting the car. I assume we should find a mechanic, have him give it the once over and proceed from there. Can anyone recommend a mechanic who knows subarus near Cleveland? Is this a bad idea and should I just keep looking closer to home?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So the wife and I have decided to sell our 09 WRX hatch, keep the 04 WRX wagon, and are look to downgrade to probably an 06-07 WRX wagon. Does that alone make us nuts? 02-07 WRX wagons seem to be rare everywhere, but we can wait. Just for fun we test drove a 03 Bugeye WRX wagon and I was grinning way more than I expected. I was seriously tempted, but then all the cars we drive would have milages between 90K and 240K, and we think that could be testing fate a little too much. The 09 just feels like it is missing the fun go kart feel of the earlier versions.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is it possible/worthwhile/cheapish to make a 09 WRX hatch handle more like a 04 WRX wagon?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Slow is Fast posted:

Kind of?

They make bushing kits for the 3rd gen cars.

Some people in this thread will argue that the 3rd gen is a better car. Some will argue that the 2nd gen was set up better.

I'm not going to tell you which one I think is better for fear of 10 pages worth of boo hoos.

whiteline makes bushings. RCE and swift make springs. koni makes dampers. All for 08+. Turn in concepts sells all of that and Jamal can probably get you a discount.

Thanks. Not my intention to start a debate. My wife and I each drive a wrx, her mostly the older one and we like different aspects of both, just trying to build off that so we can enjoy each more.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I noticed today that the rear wheels on my 04 WRX wagon seems to have a noticeable negative camber. The tires seems to have normal proper wear pattern, and were installed, including an alignment in Feb of 2013. I just rotated the tires for the second time since installing them. The car is stock (except Cobb stage 1) and the suspension components are the originals from when the car was new. Any ideas or suggestions?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Sockington posted:

If you had an alignment done, did it state what the current angles are with regards to suspension settings?

The current LR camber was -1.4. The current RR camber was -1.3.

I don't know if it helps at all, but the LF was 0.0 and the RF was -0.4.

By current I mean upon install which I now see was on 14 Dec of last year.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
In my 09 wrx the auto climate control acts weird in my opinion. Today while driving, it's 40f out and the temp setting to maintain is about 65f. Half the time the a/c is on. Why is the car not just using ambient air to cool? It does work well holding temp so I really can't complain.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Baby chat:
Anyone have experience with kid seats in a 08+ wrx? I was lookin at a Recaro proride but there are no near by places I can try one with. My son is quickly getting too heavy to carry in his removable seat. FWIW my wife and I are both short (I am 5'7'). Anyone have other recommendations?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

si posted:

Do you need something fancy for any particular reason? As far as I know the LATCH system in the WRX is the same as any other car. I think it should be the same as anything.

We just need something that our kid can grow into/up with. The Recaro goes from like 8-70 lbs. His current seat has the Latch system and a stay-in-the-car base, but he is getting too heavy to remove while still in the seat. I have heard good stuff on the Recaros, but I am not wed to them by any means.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

angor posted:

Bonus question. My car makes a super obnoxious constant beeping noise when I go over 120kph. How the hell can I disable that?

Taxis in Singapore make a tone above that speed or thereabouts. Was your car ever there as a fleet car? Every taxi I rode in over there was a Toyota or Hyundai but I have not been back since 2008. I am told it is there to tell a passenger that the driver is speeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://smd.craigslist.org/pts/4208095675.html

This guy is selling lightly used cobb sway bars, asking $300. Anything I should be wary of before making an offer? They would be used on my 2009 WRX hatch. He says he has the bushings, and from what I can tell, the bars use the cars original fasteners to install.