Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is a ninja 650 a good first bike? I have my msf. I'm 26,six feet tall and weigh about 190. I ride bicycles a lot but I've always wanted something with an engine. I want something that can hold me on the interstate, and maybe do two up around town. Is there like a comparable Honda bike to the 650? I love Honda things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok what do you guys think about this bike? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4670379535.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Holy poo poo run %%%%%%%%THE gently caress AWAY^^^&&&&%%%%%%% from that ad !?!YES WE BASH ADS!>!>!>!

Haha okay

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Consensus is that the Ninja 300 is a good starter bike, yes? I was looking at bigger bikes before I realized it has normal dimensions (actually bigger than a ZX6r...) Anyways I found a new one at a dealer discounted to $4600, is that a good price? I would rather go through a dealer than craigslist right now

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

hot sauce posted:

It's a great starter bike but that price seems expensive. Why don't you just look up a 2013 with low miles on craigslist? A dealer is always going to be more expensive.

edit: where do you live?

Denver. my buddy who rides is gonna take me bike shopping. he's trying to get me on a cruiser but I really want something more sporty and rev happy.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Here are some of the bikes I was considering...

Ninjas:
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4672805859.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4727113283.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4728231436.html

GS500's
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4642235404.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4712885801.html

some weird things
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4668460908.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4709717220.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I'm FROM Knoxville which was cycling heaven. But my buddy/neighbor has a motorcycle (Suzuki boulevard I think? Some 1100cc cruiser thingy, I sat on it and it's huge) and he's always telling me to buy a bike to go out riding in the mountains and stuff. I think I'm relenting haha. And yeah money isn't a huge issue, the difference between a $3000 bike and a $5000 bike isn't that much. I think I'm gonna go for a 300 with the ABS and slipper clutch and stuff.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Hey thread, brand new rider here. I have a couple of questions about my bike, a 1989 Honda CB-1

After I start it and kick it down to first gear, the bike sort of tries to lurch forward a bit. This is with the clutch level fully depressed. Not enough to really move me (even without brakes applied) but I was wondering if the clutch cable needs to be adjusted, like it seems like it might not be fully separated from the engine or something. Does it need to be adjusted?

When I put the bike in steering lock mode and remove the key, the rear light comes on. No other lights are on though. Is this an electrical issue that can be remedied easily? I don't want to run the battery down just because I have the steering lock on

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Okay, thanks. The thing is pretty worn down so its a little hard to read haha

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can someone recommend wireless headphones that would fit in with a helmet okay? I have an iphone so I think that uses bluetooth or something

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Z3n posted:

I don't think most bluetooth headphones will fit under a helmet - get a Sena and use a normal set of isolating headphones.

Silly question but can you use them without the microphone dongle attached? I don't need to like, talk to people on the phone or anything

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

soo my honda has this habit of stalling at stop lights, then taking forever to get started again. The idle just droops lower and lower and then it dies. goosing the throttle makes it die faster. it's really loving annoying does anyone have an idea what might be up?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

1989 CB-1. it's a four cylinder. It usually happens soon after I get on the road.

revmoo posted:

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Opening the throttle causes the throttle plate to open which means more air, but since your fuel pressure/volume is dropping, it kills the engine.

This makes sense but I have no idea what to do with this information. Do I need a new fuel pump?

Edit: I should add that off the line the bike hesitates for a bit, at like 25% throttle. Like it dips down for a few seconds then 'wakes up' and goes

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 10, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not if it improves as the engine warms. Also isn't that a carbed bike?

Yes it's carbed. No I have no idea what I'm doing. I just went and futzed with it and it dies as soon as the engine warms up. Really hard to get it started again after that. gently caress. I think I'm stuck at work wtffff

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 10, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Did some googling, is it possible I have a clogged "gas tank breather"? If so what is that, like, where is that on the bike and what does it look like. I have some canned air lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

well the bike doesn't start so great. Takes a LOT of starter button. I'm worried about draining the battery actually. It doesn't seem to care what position my choke is on, until it does, and then it has to be in the middle. gently caress I shoulda just bought a ninja 300

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oh I don't, i use short bursts. it just takes a lot of them

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, stuff like this is why people recommend you not buy an old 70's/80's bike as your first bike unless you really like working on them more than riding them. Sorry 'bout your troubles man, you may have to pony up for a flatbed to a shop if you don't have the tools and knowledge to start taking apart your carbs and fuel filter at work. :(

It's cool, I'll figure it out.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is there a standard battery voltage I should test for with a multimeter or does it vary by bike? I have an old 4 cylinder water cooled honda if that makes a difference.

Also, I might have found the culprit to my bikes fuel delivery problems. I added gas to be nearly full tank and was able to get the bike to warm up and ride without stalling (after some coaxing with the starter). So I think the issue might be my fuel pump, which only kicks on when the fuel level drops below a certain level. It has a backpressure sensor or something... Either that or it was out of fuel, but I only had 50 miles on the tank since my last fill up, in which case it's still running like poo poo and needs a tune up.

I'm taking it to this customs shop to have a Honda dude look at it later this week, and teach me how to fix poo poo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can someone recommend saddlebags appropriate for a 4 day tour?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

how um... how do I get my bike on the center stand? I'm not weak or anything but I feel like I'm gonna pull the thing over before it gets up

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, you're not supposed to sit on it lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Backov posted:

No - most just stall.

Huh? My 120 hp focus did it just fine. Same with the 90hp miata

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not for illuminating my path, since iirc it has a decent headlight with a metal cage, but something to make sure other people see me. On the simplest level, maybe something like this:

Though I wouldn't say no to ground lights since that'd look pretty boss if it's an actual durable product and not a junk novelty.

Okay now I want this for my honda. No shame

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

idk what the big deal is about your bike getting rained on

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

probably a dumb question, but can I substitute bicycle chain lube if I can't find motorcycle type locally?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Did Honda move production of all motorcycles to Thailand/India? Or was it just the 500's, 300's and 650's?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is it bad for my bike if I only ride like 10 miles a day? I don't have anywhere to go farther than that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yes. At this point you're basically wasting a motorcycle and should probably just go out and ride instead of worrying about needing to have a destination.

That seems weird but ok I'll try it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Bikes don't just crash. You can sit there and light the rear wheel up and unless you chop the throttle while picking up A LOT of traction or add a bunch of lean you aren't going down. Front end will let you push it around locked up too.
Dirtbike cross training is a huge thing and the way the bike acts while sliding carries right over for the most part.

Basically don't freak out and you're fine.

New rider here (about 6 months in, ride every day). How much does bicycle experience transfer over? I've been commuting in the snow / ice for years on a fat-tired Cross Check. Fishtail a lot (fun!) but haven't lowsided in forever. I've never ridden a dirtbike.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

My bike is pretty low to the ground (Honda CB-1). Low enough that I can easily flat foot it with both feet. I've only lost the front end over some gravel at relatively low speed but just put my leg out and did that dirt bike slidey thing. Not sure what I would do at a higher rate of speed, probably just crash.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Got caught in a huge thunderstorm at like 2am this morning riding home. It was warm tho. Riding in warm rain is... kinda nice? I just need little wiper blades for my helmet.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Here's a stupid question: I almost never hit reserve before refueling. Is the gas in my reserve the same gas that was there this summer? Or does it all mix together...?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

my 400 doesn't drop below 5k+ until I hit a stop light

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

How different are traditional handlebars from clip ons? I had to sell my CB-1 in Tennessee when I moved and all the bikes I'm looking to replace it with (599, monster) have regular handlebars. Fwiw I really enjoyed the leaned over the tank / tucked in style of riding but I have no context for any other way

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Weren't you looking at a Concours that was a steal?

yes, I'm floating a lot of ideas right now. I have a three day weekend and a $5000 signing bonus check coming tomorrow. socal is my oyster or something like that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Do you need ethylene glycol if it never gets below freezing where you live?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Do hand guards do anything to protect the bike? I just bought a new fz07 and I'm in 'add sliders to every surface of the bike' mode

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

can someone recommend a frame / spool / fork slider brand for the FZ-07? I want to go with the same brand for all three if possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

A lot of guys like the One Eleven Sportbike (OES) setup. Comes in a handy kit (at the bottom): http://www.oesaccessories.com/2015-2016FZ-07.html

Or buy all the Woodcraft stuff.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for! Can't wait to crash this beast