Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm thinking of getting into riding sometime next year, will take the MSF before christmas. I've read the suggestions for obvious starter bikes Ninja 250/500 and GS500. I also remember reading somewhere that the Ninjas are better suited for shorter riders.. is this true? Reason I ask is that I'm 6'4, long legs. Granted, i won't know what bike is most comfortable until I sit on one, but I could use some suggestions.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The other consideration you have to make is that if you buy a duc, hot women in skimpy swim suits will come out of nowhere to wash your bike when you park it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2127514916.html

How awful of an idea is it to bring this home and try to bring it back to life as a project if you haven't started riding yet?(msf in the spring :sigh:)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Buy it, spend a bunch of time and money fixing it, take msf, find out you hate riding.

Buy a bike in decent condition for your first bike.

Gut feeling was telling me bad idea, should listen to that more. I'll wait for msf and keep an eye out on cl.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here's a quote from a recent thread:

quote:

In 2007 (or maybe 08), Ducati dropped service costs by 50% on all new bikes. It was a combination of some increased intervals and set service prices (although of course that's at dealers only).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Would an old xj600 make a good first bike? How does the power come on in these old 600?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2181333335.html

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Saga posted:

Look for corrosion on the frame where the cradle's down tubes meet the swingarm pivot (i.e. behind the footpeg mounts). Check the brakes aren't binding (pistons corroded or gunked up) and the front disc isn't warped - both are characteristic of the 90s-Yamaha Sumitomo calipers. Also check the condition of that exhaust - is it about to rust through? Corrosion resistance was not a huge priority for Yamaha prior to the late 90s. You can get replacements easily/cheaply enough, but unless it's spotless (doesn't look likely), the mild steel downpipes will be firmly welded to the head

The seller doesn't sound like he's particularly clued up, so clearly chain and sprockets should be checked for wear and condition.

I got the same vibe reading the ad for some reason. Assuming everything you said checks out(not likely), $1200 seemed a bit high for a 19 yo bike. Where should i start negotiating?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How much stock should I put into SHARP testing of helmets? Looks from the website like the testing is pretty darn thorough.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's the bike?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If I were to buy a Ninja 250 Gen 1, what kind of insurance should I carry for it? Do I need collision/comprehensive? What are everyone's medical coverage on your policies? Is it like a car where after a certain point it's not worth carrying full coverage anymore and if so when is that point?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Koth posted:

What do you guys thing about a Yamaha R6 as a first bike? It's not for me, but a friend is looking at getting one. I read on here that you should keep your first bike under 80 hp or so, but the Yamaha R6 is about 100 hp.

Heh

Best idea nothing can go wrong.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Because in America bikes are toys, not so much modes of transportation.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

I suggested we maybe look into a GS500 because the Suzuki site specifically notes a "low seat height," and I've seen it recommended as a friendly bike for novices around here. However, the seat is literally 1cm or so lower than bikes like the SV650. Is this seriously what constitutes a low seat height?

Why not go to a dealer and have her sit on some bikes? The ninja 250 might be up her alley.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

How much do bike prices drop in the fall? What month is typically best time to buy? (assuming 4 season weather)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Someone should buy this and turn it into a track bike

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/2379229246.html

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can you write up a quick review of the K3 when you buy it? I was looking at it too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

Isn't that around the time the government changed the way HP was calculated? I remember a lot of cars losing HP around the same time.

I think youre thinking mpg not hp.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Any :sweden: goons in the thread? I just moved here from the US and might be interested in getting a motorcycle licence (i meant to do it in the US but oh well too late). I'm familiar with the US system, take MSF, pass written test, get your licence. What's the smartest way to go about it here?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

shitload of good info

Thanks for all that! I found a lot about taking a car driver's test (I can use my US licence for a year) but not so much on the motorcycle front. It's about what I was expecting. None of this will probably happen for 6 months or so because the public transport here is so kickass, but I've always wanted to get on a motorcycle.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Where in Sweden are you?

Stockholm.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

Not exactly what I was looking for but it is adjacent enough! Thank you very much, I'll be sure to save this when I get home and peruse it at my leisure.

Check out Fortnine's youtube channel. Ryan usually has a lot of background info in his reviews and videos. Like the latest one was about the history of the honda dirt trike and how it was banned in the US.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do yall have full coverage on your bikes? Insuring something fully with a market value of ~4k seems a little weird to me, but it's only ~$450 a year so not that bad? And as a new rider seems like a good idea.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I've got the highest liability, and especially the highest uninsured/underinsured I can get, along with a low deductible comprehensive. I don't have collision cause if I gently caress up I've hosed up

This is a good reminder for the uninsured/underinsured. Uninsured driving is pretty rampant here.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Some states have just laughable minimums.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have a Lotus/Caterham 7 knockoff with a 2006 Yamaha R1 engine and am in need of a clutch cable. The stock R1 cable is too short to reach the pedal box. Are there other bikes that use the same clutch arm cable ferrule thing but would be longer? I need at least 4.5ft of cable but closer to five would be ideal and give me plenty on the end to modify to work with the pedal box.

Do you have an AI thread for this thing or have you posted it here?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I have a 人馬一体 sticker on my helmet :japan:

Where did you procure such a thing?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can I put more adventure oriented tires on my MT03? Pirelli scorpions or the like? I find myself down dirt/gravel roads down here and having a little more stability would be great, although it's fun to float on the dunlops, not like I'm going that fast on the dirt.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm not NOT saying that. Perfect reason to buy a Z125.

I do want to do a motorcycle trip around Okinawa in the next few years.

I want to do this but on a bicycle.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ulf posted:

I hate checking my tire pressures by hand. It's an annoying task that takes some contortion in a tight spot in my garage. I do a bad job keeping on top of it and usually just check with my thumb.

Are aftermarket TPMS (either internal or external, something like bluetooth to a phone app) worth looking into?

Are you using something like this to check?
https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-60100005-D2-SmartGauge/dp/B0051LQ0X4/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

When it's on a suzuki it's a DzJP fastner.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I know there are a few of us on here with MT03s. Has anyone put a windscreen on theirs that they like? I have the additional problem of being 6'4 so I assume I'll need a super dorky tall one to take wind blast off my head. Also with said dork level I assume it comes with a top box too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

I don't know how long you've had your motorcycle but my advice is to really, really wait before you commit to getting a huge dorky dad screen for your naked bike, because you really will adapt to wind blast over a period of months and several thousand miles.

I thought I wanted one of these when I first got my bike, but after four or five thousand miles I found that highway speeds really didn't bother me like they used to. Now I'm glad I saved a few hundred bucks and avoided having to look at that thing all the time.

I still wouldn't want to do a cross-continent interstate journey on my naked bike, probably. But if I wanted to do a ride like that I wouldn't be shopping for windscreens, I'd be shopping for a different bike.

I'll see if the yamaha screens (they're small) are available then. Can't seem to find any reviews on those surprisingly.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like revzilla has them (tell your friend!)

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/B9T-F83J0-V0-00

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've been thinking of what my options are for making the MT03 a little friendlier for my long legs (need to increase peg to seat distance).

The options would be this Norton seat:

https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/norton-racing-supersport-seat-yamaha-r3/

Or as I understand, there's a way to drop the pegs a little? How does this work? Looks like there's a little bracket and basically moves them down?

Is one preferable to the other?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

A taller seat is much preferable to lowered pegs because it changes the weight distribution of the bike less. Lowered pegs have had a weird handling effect on every bike I've ridden that had them, the type of bike didn't seem to matter much.

Also they tend to scrape.

Cool, reached out to Norton and of course seats have 2 week order times in these weird times so it's more expedient to send yours now and they mod it for you. Except I want to ride a bunch this weekend so it'll have to wait.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Norton, like the same Norton that was robbing parts off customer bikes in for maintenance to assemble new bikes? Yeah I wouldn't send them your seat.

Is it this one? https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/norton-racing-supersport-seat-yamaha-r3/

Welcome any other suggestions for MT03 seats that are taller.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Best rig up a complicated system of pulleys, cables and monkeys to get both wheels off the ground.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Woah woah this thread is getting more controversial than the F1 finale.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Whats going on with the Bob?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Add to that, set up a turn in the parking lot. You can bring little cones or chalk or just use some natural markings that exist and practice going through the corner you set up. Malls parking lots are great for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The answer is always everyone needs MORE practice more often. Frequency is really important too, for instance 15 min 3 times a week is preferable to 45 minutes 1 time. Frequency is how you build and keep muscle memory.

I always do some practice before I go out and often times when i'm coming home unless i'm time crunched, but I have a really convenient place basically right by my house so i know that's not necessarily feasible for everyone.