Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

carcinofuck posted:

2. When you slow down to make a 90 degree turn on streets, do you generally grab the clutch and shift down as you're braking, or do you just brake and then shift down after you've slowed down most/all of the way?
I usually shift down and just engine brake as I approach. If I still need to lose speed I'll use the brake once I'm down to second gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah, charge it full and disconnect it. It should be fine for a couple of months at least.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What about bikes that never had ABS?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1. Fuse puller
2. Without knowing the specific engine, given the wire gauge and plug location it's probably the oil pressure or O2 sensor.
3. Bend the arms of the pin straight and pull it out.
4. Chain's hosed, replace it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

carcinofuck posted:

Can I get people to confirm this chain needs outright replacement now? What happens if I don't? Gets crustier and reduces efficiency?
You're (probably) not going to die from running it, but unless the links bend smoothly you're losing power and causing increased wear on the front and rear sprockets.

Although if the chain looks like that the sprockets are probably due for replacement too, anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

builds character posted:

2. You have a similar situation where your bike lives outside in winter and you can't easily just hook it up to a tender.
And even then, if you're not going to ride the bike in winter you can just take the battery out of the bike and store it inside.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gillingham posted:

Do I need to do anything to store my bike for 2-3 weeks? It's gonna be put into a small garage and hooked to a battery tender, but should I bother putting it up on the pitbull stands, or just leave it tilted over. I'm probably overworrying regardless but I normally ride it every day.
Nah. If you have the stand it doesn't hurt putting it up, but if you don't I wouldn't worry for it for such a short time. It's one thing if you're storing it for several months, but for just a couple of weeks you don't really need to do anything. The tender is nice though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sell it, borrow or rent another bike or car for the week or two between selling it and moving.

Alternatively have your dad sell the bike after you move.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bad battery/alternator/RR that can't feed a good spark when the fans are running?

Do you lose power if you turn your high beams on as well?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

what tools can i use instead of the specialized ones for delinking and installing a chain. I do my work at my local auto mechanic and have access to a very robust toolbox
You need something that can put out enough pressure to force the chain pins out (and back in) and flare the tips. But really, just go buy a $20 chain breaker/riveter. It's not worth the headache trying to bubba it with the wrong tools.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Chain-Breaker-Cutter-Riveting/dp/B01EO17L02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVUYc1B9wLI

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The video demonstrates that, but you still need a way to push the pin out after you've ground the tip off.

Getting an old chain off without a breaker isn't hard. Worst case you can just cut right through one of the plates. It's installing a new one that's a pain in the rear end without proper tools.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Different grip angle that doesn't agree with your hands?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use Novus for treating plastics. #1 and #2 works nicely on acrylic paint too as long as the scratches haven't gone through to the metal.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did it use to turn on? On my bike the running lights don't turn on with the ignition until you start the engine. They stay on if you then turn the engine off though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Deep Thoreau posted:

So I've been trying to google it, but haven't found any useful info. I figure I should learn to do basic maintenance on my bike. What needs to be done regularly and can be done by someone with no real experience working on a vehicle? I know about keeping the gear chain lubed, but what else is a must to do? If it helps, I have a 2016 ninja 300.
Lube chain regularly
Change oil once a year (or whatever x miles the manual tells you if you ride a lot of miles per year)
Change coolant whenever the manual tells you.
Put the battery on a tender if you're not going to ride for a few weeks or more.
Check the tire pressure often.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: maybe not. Either way they look like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4DJKNX/
Well, I'm sold. Can't argue with these selling points.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

R-Type posted:

will make you utterly paranoid and hate humanity like cancer.
So it's like working retail?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If I put my bike on the stand and idle the engine in neutral it will slooowly turn the wheel at just the right pace for spraying the chain. Of course all fingers are kept well clear of anything moving.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

loving seals.
Sea puppies lions. :3:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Coydog posted:

so you can get your hand off your low hanging fruit ok?
Don't tell me how to masturbate. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jfc when will people learn not to use photobucket?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I test rode an Indian Scout and I can definitely see the appeal of the laid back cruiser position if you're not going very fast. That said it feels more like you're just going along with the bike rather than actually controlling it.

It was also kind of funny to accidentally scrape the pegs at 50km/h.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yes. It's more like "Don't fill your tires right after an hour of canyon carving". Riding half a mile on the street isn't going to matter.

The reason is that when tires are hot the air inside expands and increases the pressure, so if you fill your tires when they're hot they'll be underinflated when they cool down.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Basically until the advent of computational fluid dynamics modeling in the 60s engine design was largely throwing stuff at a wall to see what stuck.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gropes posted:

Someone on a bike waved at me on my ride home from the dealer, felt cool :allears:
:3: The wave is one of the best parts of riding. Remember to wave often.

When it comes to changing the oil in your bike, there's a good video tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1IkFZkJts

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have an annoying rattling noise coming from the front end when riding between 4.5 and 5k rpm, any tips of how to find out what's loose? It doesn't show up if I'm just revving the engine on a stand.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's constant at roughly that rpm interval regardless of speed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I tried putting my hand against the headlight and pieces of bodywork that I can safely reach while riding and it didn't help. I'll check the bottom part of the bodywork later today.

It's a Ninja 650 by the way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Don't suppose any UK goons would know how much luck I'm likely to have asking the council if I can have a ground anchor drilled into the street outside my house?
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A torque wrench is your friend. Some times "hnnnnggghernia!" Nm is still a way off from recommended torque.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I rode for about 6 hours on Saturday and my butt felt like it was falling off at the end of it.

Is there any secret to improving comfort during long rides apart from frequent breaks? Are the Airhawk pillows worth it?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

One day I'll have a bike I can ride
The day you sell the Enfield for a working bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Get a bike that vibrates less. :v:

Or put your phone in a bumper case when using it on the bike.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

26nm sounds excessive. Some oil on the seal and then hand tighten is how I've learned and done it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No idea about wrenching on them, but I've enjoyed the test rides I've done. I'm in the same position where I'm looking at getting a Scout or FTR in a few years when second hand prices come down a bit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Idk what you mean by 'leave it' cause like, the air needs to stay inside the tire for you to have a rideable bike so I guess you can leave it and take the car or bus.
I had a small piece of metal embedded in my rear tire for the better part of a year and it still held air, so I assume it just got stuck in the tread and didn't actually puncture it. I didn't remove it because I didn't want to risk causing an actual puncture.

Then I rode a gravel road a week ago and the next morning the tire was completely flat and I noticed the piece of metal had been pushed slightly deeper. It's a very slow leak though.

My point is don't leave it in even if it holds air, you'll regret it later.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can appreciate people being comfortable enough to do this kind of youtube exhibitionism even if they're not a slender 20 year old. You do your thing, lady.

There's some blacksmithing channel that I forget the name of run by a woman where every thumbnail shows a considerable amount of of cleavage as well, but then the videos mostly only show the anvil and workpiece. Clickbait is a thing because it works.

And speaking of blacksmithing I have at least one female friend who's admitted she watches Alec Steele because she finds him hot, so it works both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I occasionally put a GoPro on my bike. I got a gopro adapter for the RAM mount I already use for my phone.

But like vacation photos, the only people interested in watching your riding ride video is going to be you. :)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 7, 2024