Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

After the nuclear holocaust, when all electronic devices have been wiped out, then you'll see :colbert:

Someone figured out how to rig a magneto system on your CL350? I thought not. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really hope ANY two strokes become a thing.

Here's your thing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTPHw6T864

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

internet inc posted:

A friend stored his '05 SV without fuel stabilizer and a 3/4th full tank. Would it be good to add some every refill for the first few times of the season? If not, is there anything else?

My winter storage routine is:

1) Park bike.
2) Remove key.

The worst trouble I've had after the long sleep is a dead battery once. Winterization doesn't hurt, but it sure as hell ain't required in any capacity.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

At our shop we've seen a lot of 70s/80s bikes, most often Japanese fours, showing this symptom, and not a lot of them are actually due to intake leaks. It can be a complete bitch to solve the issue. Some of the worst offenders are the old Honda mechanical slide carbs. The cause is similar to an intake leak though, it's running lean due to reasons that are hard to specifically track down. Assuming it's just wear on the moving parts in the carb which lets too much air through. Upping the idle jet usually fixes it, but a disturbing number of those bikes have pressed-in idle jets which basically can't be changed.

On my old Suzuki GSX600F (Katana) with Mikuni BST31SS carbs, I had what seemed like a textbook intake leak. Only after having taken it apart and put it together several times, putting in more and more new parts, it didn't get better at all. In the end, the fault was the o-rings behind the pilot screws. As they get old and hard they let air past, loving up your fuel mixture in a way very very similar to an intake leak.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wrote too many words on this subject on the now-dormant biek wiki:

http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Wheelie

Wheelie@biekwiki posted:

Ideally throughout the wheelie you'll be accelerating very slightly so the throttle is actually holding you up rather than you actually balancing on the front wheel.

This "wheelie" business seems more complicated than I thought...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

epalm posted:

My folks are from South America, and one thing that shocked them about North America was The Line. Boy do North Americans love their lines. I was here FIRST, and I am IN LINE, and you CANNOT bud ahead of me without me getting pretty loving irritated. Granted the alternative is pure chaos, if you've every been to a small airport in South or Central America it's just a crowd of shouting patrons pushing their way closer to their goal.

A friend of mine is from Tanzania, and she told me once that one thing she really loves about Sweden, is lines. Back in Tanzania, if you know the right people or if you have more cash on hand than the next guy, you can just get what you want when you want, don't mind those other 50 people thats been waiting for three hours. Here, it doesn't matter if you arrive in a suit with three bodyguards and a fistful of thousand kronor bills, you'll just have to take your number and wait like everyone else.

I've still never got honked on or threatened in any way for filtering.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wootcannon posted:

Question mainly for the British riders - when the light goes green before you're at the front, do you just duck in in front of the car you're beside, or do you get up to a moving car and slot in the gap behind it before the stopped car starts moving? The only reason I don't go in front of the already slowly moving car is because I'm paranoid about someone getting a bit jumpy with the clutch, whereas if the car behind is already stopped then the absolute worst-case is it's a BMW so he'll beep his horn and try and act the big man into my rapidly disappearing mirror.

Not British, but it seems to work the same way here. I'm jumpy enough about going between moving cars that I don't filter up to the light if I know there's a chance it might change before I make it to the front. I'll just wait and then when the traffic spreads out ever so slightly, I start zigzagging past them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Start with some real protection, dude/dudette!

http://i.imgur.com/bmghEO4.jpg

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just make sure that your can holds more than the tank. :downs:

Cat litter is really good at cleaning up both oil & petrol.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Solution.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually getting false neutrals between 5th and 6th on my 690. Something to be worried about or should I just be "firmer" in my shifting? The gearbox on this thing is really much much worse than on the DRZ, I must say.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shouting Melon posted:

My 690 does the same thing, and Google suggests that it's pretty normal for the LC4 engine. It's literally only between 5th and 6th, right?

I've had it happen once between 4th and 5th, but numerous times between 5th and 6th. Always when I'm going up quickly through gears, so I guess it's just me being sloppy. I'm going to adjust the shifter two or three steps down tomorrow and see if it doesn't get better.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I had the exact same problem on my 2004, and asked about it in this very thread last year. The shifter felt like it was in sixth gear ("solid") when it wasn't. It happened for me with varying frequency over a couple of weeks, and then went away never to come back? :shrug:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Someone on this forum once used a large quick grip, IIRC.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
From what I've observed, Akra doesn't always make the most power, and aren't always the lightest, but they are very good when it comes to power:sound ratio (meaning they are usually making good power while still sounding good as opposed to just being obnoxiously loud).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThatCguy posted:

A semi-modern sport bike, on new, proper sport tires like those PR3s will not lowside on you in the dry until you start hitting hard parts on the bike.

Does this go for motards as well? I managed to lowside the DRZ on the track by going on the throttle too quick on cold tyres. Now, to be fair, that was probably because I was using extreme lean angles, as in I was scraping the toe of my boots with my feet way back on the pegs in some corners. I know this is bad form and I should start working on my BP, but I just have so much fun going that low.

(Lowside low is past the fun point, before you ask.)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Any :sweden: goons in the thread? I just moved here from the US and might be interested in getting a motorcycle licence (i meant to do it in the US but oh well too late). I'm familiar with the US system, take MSF, pass written test, get your licence. What's the smartest way to go about it here?

Where in Sweden are you?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a special case though, "ready to race" etc. and a 1.7l sump is hilariously tiny. What's the change interval, 1000km?

2012 up the 690s oil change interval is 10000km (6214 miles) or annually according to the owners manual...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And this is why I always put my helmet in places it can't fall down from. As in, one the ground or on the floor.

Then I don't have to search every corner of the internet for opinions, or send my helmet to be checked out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm can't visualise your problem completely, but Biltema is usually the answer. Would this one work?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So that, if need arises, you can bench press your bike of course. Duh.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Braincloud posted:

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see...

Snowdens Secret posted:

IIRC it sounds the other way, actually. Needing a lot of choke to start/run sounds like a lean condition, and dieseling after cutoff can come from running waaaay too hot, which again often comes from lean conditions. At least on 4Ts, not sure about two strokes

It's the same on two strokes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzowCJG7WA

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

carrion kit posted:

After I called them to say it's probably having a clutch issue the guy who worked on it goes "I wheelied that thing down the street, seemed fine to me."

:negative:

I'm going to see if I can open the clutch up and blast it with compressed air as some earlier poster said it may just be dust, if not it's going back to the dealership tomorrow.

edit: holy poo poo that's a lot of dust ! going to need to go buy some canned air for this.

If that doesn't do the trick, ride it until it's fully warmed up and slipping then get your rear end over to the shop, go inside and tell the mechanic to get on it right then and there and see for himself. If he gives you poo poo about being busy, tell him to just go up and down the street for two minutes, he'll have time for that (otherwise just kick him in the nuts, the natural end point of any conversation not going ones way).

Alternatively, just ride past them all day long, waiving with your left hand while the bike slips the clutch.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This ain't gonna mean much, pricewise, since I live in Europe, but it's still a hosed up insurance related thing. When I got my SV, I called around and got quotes from a whole slew of insurance companies (7 IIRC). So I had called 3 or 4 already, when I call the company I'll call If. Since the actual name of the company is, in fact, If that seems about right. My best quote for comprehensive before this was about 6700 kronor (985 USD)/year. We are a bit into the call.

Guy: Yeah, thatd be 21000 kronor (about 3000 USD) a year for third party only.

Me: So that's three times what LF (other company) wants for comprehensive.

Guy: Yeah, I guess. *sighs*

Me: Well, let me think about it, bye. *click*

Since If is always expensive when I check, I wasnt very surprised. Next call was to a company Ive never called before. Fast forward to the big reveal.

Girl: 7200 kronor... (1050 USD)

Me: Right, its not the cheapest Ive heard today, but...

Girl: ...per month. *nervous laughter*

Me: *silent for maybe ten seconds*

Girl: Hello?

Me: Excuse me, can you repeat that?

Girl: 7200 kronor per month.

Me: You realise this is more per month than what LF quoted me for a full year? Are you sure this is correct?

Girl: Yes. It says so on the screen right here. 86400 kronor (12700 USD) per year.

Me: Yeah, good luck with that. *click*

After I called around to the last companies on my list, I thought I'd just have to call back and triple check the price I got. After getting another guy on the phone and explaining my last call he said;

Guy: Well, that cant be right. Let me check. *typing on computer*
*nervous laughter* The price you got earlier was correct.

Me: How many bikes does your company actually insure? I mean, ten bikes and youve made your profit that year.

Guy: I guess its a little high, isnt it? *laughing*

Me: Yeah, I think I'll pass. *click*

A couple of days later, I got a letter from silly expensive company, where they sent me the offer in writing and asking me to get back to them to ensure I got the great price they offered. Thanks, SalusAnsvar!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Does the Frozen North not have comparison websites? Throwing details into comparethemarket.com is always hilarious for the outliers - my last quote ran from £300 out to £2500, with loads just refusing to quote for whatever reason.

Yes and no. We got some laws in 1998 about internet privacy that makes such websites give a rough estimate at best. There's one or two companies that you can give your info online and they'll do the legwork and call you up with their best quote, but I trust those guys about as far as I can throw them.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, LF was cheapest on the SV since they are the company that handles Suzukis own insurance. And as I (and the bike) gets older it's dropping. I payed 5700 kr last year for comprehensive on a -03 SV650S. This year I pay 3300 kr...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I track my fuel usage on Fuelly. So far, the B6 averages 36.2mpg (6.5l/100km), and the XT660X averages 50mpg (4.7l/100km). Carbed vs. EFI makes quite a difference.

Fuelly all the way, tracking all my vehicles with sperglord precision. And my experience with EFI & carbs isn't as conclusive.

2003 SV650S (EFI) 42.1 mpg (5.5 l/100km).
1988 GSX600F (Carbs) 44.9 mpg (5.2 l/100km).
2013 690 SMC-R (EFI) 51.6 mpg (4.6 l/100km).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LifeSizePotato posted:

Have you looked on Youtube for videos about correct insertion?

Jesus. Do not search youtube with the term "correct insertion". Unless you like seeing videos of peoples insides as they are being operated on and people getting catheters, I guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Finally all this motorcycling paid off! :v: The very first time I met my now new girlfriend our conversation contained the following sentences;

:swoon: "You've got a motorcycle, that's soooo cool."

:smuggo: "Yeah, you wanna... ride with me sometime?"

:swoon: "Can I, really?" (followed by her actually going "woop woop" in real life.)

She still hasn't worked out that low-rise pants with thongs don't work well when you're riding pillion though. Which brings me to my real point; I've tried to get her to wear more gear. As of now she's got a short leather jacket, which is more of a fashion item than a protective garment as it's really flimsy, and she's using one of my helmets (we've got same size small heads, both of us). That's it. Converse shoes aren't exactly CE rated either.

She either tells me "But you won't crash, will you?" or "But it's uncomfortable" when I bring it up. On one hand, she's an adult and frankly as long as she wears a helmet she can ride naked if she likes. On the other hand I can't even begin to imagine how much like poo poo I'd feel if I crashed and her legs (or whatever) looked like an overcooked sausage for the rest of her life (after several skin grafts, I guess).

I have no idea what I'm really asking here, but whatever. Maybe I'm overreacting. Or something. :ohdear:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is she saying that in jest or is she really that stupid? Something to think about when considering a long term relationship...

Mostly in jest, but since she has no driving experience whatsoever, neither from cars, mopeds, motorbikes or anything else, it's part inexperience, as in "You ride extra careful when I'm riding with you, don't you". She's a very sweet, terminally happy girl that never fails to get me in a good mood but oh so ditzy and not just a little naive. She is quite a bit younger than me so maybe it's to be expected.

M42 posted:

Don't let her on the bike until she wears proper protective equipment-that's what I do.

That would imply that I have the balls to actually ever tell her no. She is very cute when she pouts though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MotoMind posted:

Let me point something out to you. Whatever her actions are, you are responsible. You are responsible because you created and even encouraged the situation where she is riding pillion on your bike. She did not have the opportunity to independently evaluate the risks through the process and effort of becoming a motorcyclist. That effort gives the rider agency in the situation and makes them weigh whether the whole thing is worthwhile.

She's there because you made it fun and easy. But if you crash, she's also there because of you and that makes you responsible. There are all kinds of road hazards, driver errors, and mechanical failures that can send you sliding down the tarmac. No matter how carefully you ride, something can happen.

Also, be aware that if you get into an accident that injures her, she can sue you if there is even a hint of rider error.

Make whatever choices you will, but just realize that you carry a lot of responsibility when you bring people into potentially dangerous situations.

This is mostly what it is all about, isn't it? I can see that most people feel it to be my responsibility if an accident occurs, and if so I should've taken measures to prevent injury as far as possible by keeping her clothed and fed. I'll suggest we go try on some gear (again) next week and see what happens.

For some reason though, I feel motorcycling is regarded very differently than riding cars in the respect that, if someone gets in my car and doesn't use the seat belt, I would say it's their own responsibility as an adult to take steps to protect themselves against injury, whereas on a motorbike I'm not so sure (which is where my original post in this matter came from).

Although I have to point out that, in Swedish law, things work a little differently when it come to lawsuits. The Tort Liability Act Chapter 2 Section 1 reads:

“Anybody who intentionally or negligently causes a personal injury or a damage to things shall compensate it, as far as this Act does not prescribe otherwise.”

Worth pointing out is that the essence of the compensatory function of the Swedish tort law is ruled by the idea that even negligent parties should be protected against devastating economic consequences of an accident, and losses should be distributed, above all, by means of insurance. As soon as you accept a payment from insurance regarding an accident, you allow them to assume any rights to sue the involved parties (which in the rare cases they decide to do, ends with the other parties insurance paying the damages).

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm taking a pillion I've never met before riding all next weekend (scavenger hunt) and she's getting all of my primary gear that fits, and I'll take the somewhat crappier secondary/"guest" stuff, aside from helmet (buying a cheap full face at the store this weekend, I'm gonna keep the Evoline 2 with the sunvisor and stuff). Personally, I would much rather it be me than a passenger that took the brunt of injuries in a crash.

This would be a great solution if we were the same size, although I guess gear that fits badly is better than no gear at all. I do agree with your last sentence.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My car is indisposed so I'm borrowing my dads VFR to go to a wedding 450 miles away this Saturday. Anyone got any good ideas for bringing a suit without it getting all wrinkly?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Linedance posted:

What's the word for using google to appear wise or intelligent?

Linedancing?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I have an interesting phenomenon I haven't been able to figure out conclusively. I've found that with some of my bikes (including my current one), you can audibly hear when the front brakes are being applied. It's a prominent hissing/buzzing noise, kind of like an electric motor freewheeling or something. I can't seem to find a correlation between brake design and the noise.

I have this exact sound on the 690 as well, but only after the brakes have warmed up a bit.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

I was apparently doing rolling burnouts

Ahaha, this is great! :D

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to Hawaii for two weeks (one week Oahu, one week Maui) later this year, and I'm thinking of renting a bike for a day or two on each island. Since splitting and filtering is legal where I live, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist doing it there. How harshly is this enforced by law enforcement there, anyone know?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After 20k miles of doing it every day I ride, I'm not sure if it'll be more about self control or habit.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
We're going the way of gbs, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You're usually well informed Kozmo, I'm surprised that you haven't heard about passivation. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Second day on Oahu, saw an incredibly overweight man in MCCUU on a Harley that was so load that my ears hurt from the other side of the freeway. My questions are;

1) HOW?

and

2)WHY?