Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

waptang posted:

Similarly, a fuckload of bikes...

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/872994627.html
Oh to live in Indiana and have a garage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
moved to Gear threads

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 23, 2008

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
OK, so I just dumped my bike half on myself and half on the curb trying to park. Broke the end off the brake lever, but I don't think I did any other damage (fell on right side obviously). Fuel is off and bike is parked on the kickstand. I did a quick electrical check and all the lights and whatnot are fine, but have done nothing else with it.

Anything to look for before I start 'er up again? I couldn't see anything amiss after a quick check around with my flashlight, but I may not know what to look for.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Taisa posted:

And if the throttle doesn't snap back and stays where you left it, you just installed cruise control for free! :haw:
Heh. I'd rather not, since that was one of the first things I had to fix when I got it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mr.belowaverage posted:

gently caress you guys. I use State Farm, I'm 30 with a clean record. $1000/year. Three zeroes. For a KZ1000, with only liability. I paid $800 for the drat bike.
Did you shop around?

I called State Farm to get the same agent as the previous owner, got someone else who then promptly tried to sell me a combo that included life insurance that I didn't need or want. So I said "forget that" and went looking around.

I got a great quote from Kingsway through a Southland Broker and went with them, plus they give discounts for having completed a safety course and being a member of the OMA. Of course, I'm taking about a 28 year old 400cc standard, so as always YMMV.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Don't use ArmorAll on your seat.
I did that when I cleaned the bike up for storage, I also recommend against it. :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Insurers always look to reduce risk, so by adding people who already have a history of both driving and insurance, it helps their risk assessment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Quick (tubeless) tire question: my rear has a definite leak around the valve stem, I checked it out with the old soap & water trick. Is there anything I can do to fix the leak temporarily enough to ride it home (~100km on <90km/h roads) that doesn't involve taking the whole wheel & tire off and replacing the valve stem, or is that simply the best thing to do?

On a side note: I had been thinking about changing the tires out anyway for whatever reason even though there's plenty of tread left on both, and while troubleshooting this leak I finally looked up the DOT numbers to finally figure out the age of these things: almost 9 years! So I'm definitely looking to replace these soon as I can, but ideally not until I get it back to my place and out of my parents' garage :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
My 1980 Honda CB400T has smoky cold starts on the right cylinder. I never noticed it until my Dad pointed it out when I was down at their place last Fall before I garaged it for the Winter. It's still doing that now, having just gone for a ride and paid attention to when I started 'er up.

I have to take it in for a carb sync/balance anyway since the right one's running a lot noisier than the left, what else should I be looking out for with this smoke? I assume it's burning oil a bit and that's what's causing the grey smoke on startup. Doesn't seem to smoke from warm starts, ie. having sat in a parking lot for 10 minutes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bungie the backpack to the seat.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Comedy CBR125 option. (They seem to be advertising the hell out of them here, and Honda doesn't have much in the low end of the spectrum other than the Rebel 250 these days)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hooray, I have a question and a long story.

Went out for a ride today, and after 20 minutes in stop & go traffic, I hit a faster road that I could get up to 70km/h on. This road leads to a hill that also had stop & go traffic on it (Bayview south of Moore for the T.O. goons). While on the hill, my bike started to act strangely: I would go to let out the clutch to creep up the hill, and the engine would bog down. So I'd give it some gas and the engine would race to catch up, and at that point I'd let the clutch out a bit to try to keep moving forward.

Cue maybe 5 minutes of this as I try to creep up the hill without stalling out completely, and then once I was up the hill and back on level streets, I hit a red light. I had switched over to Reserve on the tank while still on the hill just in case, even though I was sure I had enough gas in the tank. I made it through the left-hand turn and over to the nearest gas station, where I immediately shut 'er down.

I let the bike cool down for 10-15 minutes, at which point I checked the oil (now that the crankcase had cooled down) and found that, like 2 nights ago, the level was fine: right in the middle of the marks.

I tried starting it up: no go. It would crank, so the battery was still OK, but no start. I tried a few more times, and managed to get it going once by giving it a handful of gas, but it wouldn't stay running.

I let it cool down about 10 minutes longer, and figured I'd put a couple bucks' worth of gas in, just in case. Walked it to and from the pumps, and tried again: no start.

On a whim I decided to pull the spark plug wires just to see if anything was amiss, and one of the wires came right out when I pulled a bit on the boot by accident! It looked rather corroded (green), so I screwed it back on and check the other; same story.

So having done that, I went to start it again, and it came to life on the first go! It seemed to be idling OK, without any of the coughing from before, so I gave up on my travel plans and just went home. No drama on the way home either. Here are pics of the wires:

I had a similar thing happen when I was taking it to the shop back in May, after about an hour of city traffic. I am still a bit of a noobie, so my first idea is that being an air-cooled twin, it was just overheating in the traffic. I've done a few short rides in the city, as well as a few longer runs out to my parents' place (2.5 hours), and a 2 hour ride two nights ago on the main roads without any problem since that first time it gave me the problem.

Should I replace the wires altogether, or strip out the corroded ends and re-attach? Is this indicative of another problem? Bike is a 1980 Honda CB400T, just over 21,000 km.

EDIT: was the engine just leaning out because of the hill? The last (and only other) time it happened I was pretty much on even ground.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 31, 2009

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

obso posted:

Replace them if you can without having to buy new coils. Otherwise cut as much of the corroded wire off that you can without making them too short.

I don't think I've ever seen stranded copper spark plug wires like that. I mean my 82 vf750 has stranded plug wires but they still have shielding/brading like a normal plug wire.

Oh, it still has the boots that fit over the plugs, I was just seeing what was underneath.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mr. DNA posted:

Does anybody know if it's legal to drive a motorcycle in Alaska with an Ontario M2 driver's license? I'm hoping to ride to Anchorage next summer but I'm not eligible for my full M until October 2010. If not I'll have to just stick to the North West Territories, but that would be a shame.
You shouldn't have any problems with it, it's not like you're trying it on an M1. :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was going to ask where I could find a POR15 tank repair kit in Toronto or Guelph, but looks like I found the answer myself online.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was changing my oil, and managed to round off the fargin' bolt for the oil filter cover. What's the best way to get that sucker out?

EDIT: answer was "take it to a shop."

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 8, 2010

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

There's a lot of options if your edit isn't serious.
It was serious, and I thought of a few later that evening after I'd taken it down. I'd just had enough of things going wrong and said "gently caress it."

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This may be more at home in a/the carb thread(s) but here goes:

Normally, Hondas of my vintage (1980) have an exhaust crossover (called the pre-chamber. #4 in this pic) under the engine casing between the headers and the mufflers proper, apparently to reduce noise, so coming out from the engine the path looks like this: =x=

Some previous owner removed that, so the pipes go straight into the mufflers, like ==.

How would that affect tuning when compared to a stock setup?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

I'm trying to devise a system using a laser level and some brackets right now. Should be more accurate than the factory hash marks and bracket that moves when you tighten the axle nut.
drat, laser level sounds like a great idea! That's usin' yer noggin'

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

niethan posted:

What if you drill into it with a drill that's slightly smaller than the bolt?
There's another bolt inside that one.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So I ruined my nice long weekend by over-torquing the head cover bolt, as seen here:

so obviously I need to order a replacement.

Is extracting the remaining thread part from the head something that could be done with a bog-standard bolt removal kit, or should I take it to a shop? Obviously I'd rather do it myself, both for the cost savings and the hands-on learning, but if it's going to be too gnarly to do at home, I'll take it in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Primo Itch posted:

I've had really lovely experiences removing broken screws. It's a skill worth having, but you'll want to kill yourself the first few times you do it. Also, buy good tools, i've had screw removal kits breaking inside the screw i was trying to remove and THAT was a poo poo-fest i can't even start explaining...
I hear ya. As I was researching tools I came across someone who had an identical problem with a Nighthawk. As it turns out, my Dad was mucking around this afternoon and got the end out with a small screwdriver! Now all I gotta do is order a new bolt.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Quickie question about mufflers & pipes: what can I use for gasket material to help seal the area where the clamps go on? There was some reddish gunk on there when I bought it, but I've taken the mufflers off a few times, so most of it just crumbled away.

Bike in question is a 1980 Honda CB400T.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

The red stuff is probably RTV gasket sealant. Use sparingly as it gets everywhere and sticks good. Don't want any getting into your engine.
Thanks for the quick answer, I picked up some red gasket maker this afternoon. Don't think there's any danger of it getting in the engine, the mufflers go on way back near the real wheel/passenger pegs.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Had a rash of bikes recently at the shop, no pattern between them, which were all missing a special shim between the muffler and header. Who the hell knows how something like that gets lost. Just the other day one of the guys at the shop found this and it seemed to work real well, with some added scrap metal to take up the space.

Wild, I almost bought that exact wrapping stuff a couple of weeks ago on a whim to see if it'd work, but figured I should ask CA first.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:(

Came home from work Monday night, and noticed that the ol' bike was bumped up against the curb and the wheel not pointing straight ahead like I left it on Sunday when I put it away and put the cover on. Didn't really have time to investigate much more than seeing things were not where they were supposed to be.

Had a closer look Tuesday night, and saw a foot and a bit of scraping on the road, lined up exactly where the legs of the centre stand are, so I immediately figured it was pushed back to the sidewalk at somepoint, but most likely was NOT overturned. I just moved it away from the curb and re-parked it.

This morning I wasn't thinking and wanted to ride to work, so I got all ready and out the door, got it off the centre stand and looked down at the front wheel when I heard something rubbing. Then I noticed it wasn't exactly pointing dead ahead like it used to :v:

I figure someone backed into it some point on Monday while I was at work.

Do I need to replace the whole front end?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dunno, Rev, I usually reserve percussive maintenance for the mountain bike.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

It's like loving Dante's Inferno up in there. Get down too deep and you start finding Roberston.

:canada: Those are for attaching the shelves. Or mounting the bike to the wall.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bladesamurai posted:

A co-worker is selling a 1981 Honda CM400T with 7,000 miles for around 400 dollars, with lots of spares including an extra exhaust, fender, signals, and other miscellaneous stuff. The is in running condition as far as I know but I don't know when that was. I haven't really found information on the bikes online. It looks like they have a stance in between a cruiser and a standard bike, pretty relaxed riding position. I'm assuming the twin engine has decent power to get out of it's own way. Would this be a decent bike as a learner for friends? How highway capable is it?

How dumb am I?

Would this be a fun bike to ride around town? Is it sporty at all?
I have a 1980 CB400T, so practically the same thing from a power perspective. It'll go 120km/h on the highway no problem, it's fairly light so good around town, and an excellent learner bike IMO. loving jump on that thing.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

My friend just picked up a '78 Honda CB400TII ("Hawk II"), and while most of the bike is actually in pretty good nick (aside from a split carb bowl overflow tube causing a gas leak in one of the carbs - fixed quite easily), except that we think it's missing the air filter element. Under the seat and air filter cover, there's a top, open wire cage, some air space, and then a honeycomb wire cage packed with wire mesh. The bottom mesh is pretty thin, but we don't know if it's the actual filter. Is there another filter element (paper, foam, etc?) that goes between the two wire plates? If so, where can I find such a thing, because bike bandit has no info about such a thing.

If it's anything like my 1980, it'll be a foam filter that you impregnate with gear oil.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
On the highway out to see my folks yesterday, and had a few sessions of head shake starting up around 120km/h. I backed off the throttle a bit as well as moved my legs from the rear legs to the main ones & adjusted my grip on the bars. Seems to have worked to calm it down, but I'm wondering at the cause.

Did a quick Google about it last night, and it seems any number of things can cause it, from tire condition or alignment to road surface to head bearings. I'll keep an eye on it on the way home tomorrow after I check the tire and front alignment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

the Ninja does have a small valve head leak. I've kept my eye on the oil level and it hasn't gone downward since. :O

Sweet would be coolant, no?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ziploc, where in Ontario are you? You could always try Zdeno down in Kitchener for salvage parts.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I've seen a couple of the bigger bikes with hazards, though you generally don't use them when moving.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AhhYes posted:

I walked outside to find my bike on its side today. The black mark on the cover at the front tire shows where the car hit it.

Holy poo poo, are you me?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I need to replace the spark leads on my '80 CB400T. Are these the kinds of things that are easy to get ahold of? They're pretty corroded.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I just discovered something interesting as I was getting the Frame, VIN and engine serial numbers. My '80 CB400T is supposed to have Keihin VB22B carbs, but the numbers stamped into the ones on my biek are VB22C, which means that they're not the proper match. Know your bike! :science:

If the shop that did service on my carbs a few years back went by the Honda service manual, then the primary and secondary jets would be totally wrong for the carbs that are installed.

So, my question is what sort of difference do jet sized represent?

My assumption (I know, I know) is that they've put in VB22B jets (Primary 70/Secondary 110) into a VB22C carb (72/118). Would those number be stamped on the jets anywhere?

Or it could be something else :) I don't get a lot of garage time since I primarily work at my parents' place, nowhere here to work on it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

It's the diameter in hundredths of a millimeter, right? 70 = 0.7mm, 118 = 1.18mm? I think I read that somewhere.

If you have a really nice sharp set of calipers or an appropriate micrometer you might be able to measure them yourself.
Well, I'll be ordering the right jets anyway for the next time I'm at my parents' place, since I won't be stripping carbs out on the street.

I also found out that the catalog # for replacement brake levers doesn't match what's actually on my bike, so I wonder WTF else the PPO did to this poor Honda.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Synonamess Botch posted:

Probably. I have a little tackle box full of jets and there are a handful of them that don't have the size stamped on them. It's annoying because I have to guess what size they are. But probably 99% of them in my experience have the size stamped on them. Only way to know is to check!
So, to answer my own question: yes indeed the current jets have their sizes stamped on them, and yes indeed they are the right ones for the bike (70/110) but NOT for the carbs that are actually on it (72/118). However I have the proper ones in a rebuild kit, so here goes nothin'! :)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I replaced the cylinder head gasket on my CB400T back in April. Last weekend My dad suggested that I check the torque on the bolts since I had the valve cover off anyway to clean up that gasket.

When I checked the bolts, number 2 on the rotation (bottom right bolt when looking from above) just spun in the hole. I took it out and saw a ring of aluminum around the bottom. Obviously when I went to put it back in, it just spun in the hole, I assume the threads in the head are stripped. Any way to fix that? I also am assuming its whats causing my latest oil leaking adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

aventari posted:

You can fix it, you'll need to pull the head and get access to the hole. Then the best way to repair it is a "Timesert" kit. http://www.timesert.com/

You might hear to use a helicoil, and they're cheaper but they're not as strong. I wouldn't try helicoiling a head bolt because if the helicoil pulls out you've just hosed up the hole even worse. (Been there, done that) You need to do it right the first time or the case is probably scrap.

I used a Timesert to repair a ripped out sparkplug thread in my F4i and it worked incredibly well.
Thanks, I'll check that out!