Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Too much of a Hot rod for him. Whelp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I was test driving a buddy's E55 AMG and some dudes on ratted out sportbikes thought they could play with grandpa and they were wroooooong.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Sure.

Sadly, not actually a prank.

It's BMW so it's a joke that's not actually funny.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Years ago I tried out a two-wheel drive bicycle. It drove the front wheel with a flexible spinning cable, like the Dremel tool extension units or a motorcycle speedometer cable, connected to each wheel with a bevel drive. It was fine in a straight line, but turning was weird as gently caress. Ever felt torque-steer through the handlebars of a two-wheeled vehicle? If it was noticeable on a bicycle, I can't imagine what it would be like at motorcycle-like speeds with motorcycle-like power.

Most of the moto ones don't apply power until the rear wheel spins a percentage faster than the front. Basically only for use in pulling you through slides or over things off-road. It's apparently hax if you're racing on a road course in the rain though, cause the front wheel drive means front end slides are much more recoverable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Space Whale posted:

Are there v twin sumos besides that insane Aprilia?

http://1290smr.com

Slavvy posted:

Actually they're godawful.

Ride an S1000XR.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Probably a great bike, definitely would be better with separate brakes.

A p-twin feels revvier and smoother but mostly similar. A v-twin feels monumental and a lot more characterful. But I'm generalising grossly and tbh at the 250 level the engine configuration is largely irrelevant unless you have an I4. There's little difference between a ninja 250 and a VTR 250, for example; even though the engines feel different for whirly engineeringy balancy reasons, they're both ultimately made to make as much power as possible with two cylinders and 250cc so the torque curves are pretty much the same.

The system is so good that you can't really tell it's there, the bike just applies rear brake the way they recommend it when you apply front brake - makes it insanely stable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you still trail brake with linked brakes? There are times where it's objectively better to be able to apply braking force to just one end of the bike

With the linked systems that only apply one piston from the front when you apply the back, and the systems with lean sensitive ABS, yes - the other ones it is more complex but most folks don't trailbrake so hard they're pushing the front or rear to the limit of traction so it's not really a problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Song of the Sausage Creature.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KTM still has good motor / bad motor syndrome but gently caress it, saw a buddy's brand new gixxer thou blow the engine at 18 miles. poo poo happens.

My 1290 has 25k on it now, couple of minor issues (battery cable recall, etc) but generally sound / never left me stranded / valves are tightening at .01mm per 10k, which is completely acceptable IMO.

That 390 poo poo wasn't cool though. Dunno how those slipped through QC, hopefully it's all fixed on the 2017 model. Also KTM group sold 180,000 bikes in 2015 for total sales of over a billion $, you're gonna get some QC misses at scale. Ive also never had issues with getting warranty support from KTM through my dealership but that seems very much down to the individual reps for each area.

What I do find hilarious is how much my local dealership bitches about Aprilia.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I dunno why you'd have a hypermotard and a 1200 multi. You'd find you preferred one or the other after awhile and never ride the other one. Adventure Sport / dirt / track bike is the ideal imo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

Today I realized that all those super large nuts and bolts on motorcycles (axles, headstock bearings, front sprocket nut, etc), are available on a Lug Nut Cross Wrench. :aaaaa: :allbuttons:

Have you considered buying more exotic bikes so that people on the internet have to find something else to dick measure on?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dad bikes make 2 up riding fun. Hit button on bars and the bike adjusts the suspension for the passenger and off you go!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It is a diversion.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Having a weird issue with the elite today. When I get on the throttle the coolant temp gauge goes to cold, when I get off the throttle it goes to warm. It seems to be tied solely to the throttle, if I open the throttle to rev the engine but don't move the scooter, it will drop the needle momentarily.

The fact that it returns to a normal temp immediately when I stop, combined with the fact that it runs perfectly fine as the needle is swinging all over the place leads me to think I'm chasing an electrical connection issue rather than an actual cooling system issue.

I spent a decent amount of time off-road with the elite yesterday and apparently now I'm paying for it :ohdear:

Bad ground introducing error due to engine vibes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

36/42 is fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

The new Kawasaki ninja 300s and Yamaha R3s have ABS variants (maybe Honda too? Not sure). Manufacturers are slowly working out that it doesn't just benefit boyracers on 1000cc bikes but also newbies who are more likely to hamfist it while learning.

Also if you want a small bike that has the fit and finish of a big bike, check the Honda CB400. It's amazing. VTEC engine so up to 7000rpm for pootling about, above that when you want to make it scream. ABS variants available too.

Duke 390 or death.

Also can confirm small bikes rule, bought a TTR 125 and it’s hilarious to slide around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-kawasaki-h2-sx-sport-tourer-debut

When you want panniers on your 200HP supercharged sport bike

Well thanks Kawasaki for making this sorta meh so I don't have to think about selling the BMW.

I guess.

You boring fucks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gorson posted:

Any goons work with carbon fiber? I've been working with fiberglass for many years and I'd like to get into CF. Looking for a good supplier for materials. You can get "kits" on Amazon or ebay but those are usually for one small job.

I've used these guys in the past:
http://cstsales.com/

I've done wet layup, vacuum bagged stuff, I don't considering it much different from fiberglass. I'm primarily making small items, not very weight bearing / critical, and layering in with kevlar and fiberglass. Someday I'll do a really dumb thing like a self supporting subframe, but I'm not quite there yet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Solvent posted:

Yeah, thanks for breaking that down for me. I just expect nobody to see or hear me ever on any bike, so.

The other thing that got me was the idea of putting paddle tires on it (future FSX) and taking it to the imperial sand dunes. My wife's family has a bunch of sand toys, and I'm not as into quads or buying an expensive dune buggy, I had run the idea by her and she suggested there's be no way to get them charged out there. I mean, she's usually right about everything, but cant you just charge it with a generator? Or am I just totally ignorant here?

You can totally do it, you'll have more limited ride time than you'd like, but if you're hot swapping batteries and they're always on the generator you'll be fine.

Also, you'll need to replace the belt with their chain drive kit if you wanna jump it, cause they snap belts from the shock loading when you jump them / ride them offroad.

As Nero Danced posted:

I really liked my airmadas, but both of them had issues. One had a misaligned visor gasket so it whistled (had to use some duct tape on the gasket to get a good seal with the visor down) and my other's vent covers started rattling after a few months. I probably just had bad luck twice over, but I'm done with their helmets personally.

I've had a couple of them and haven't had bad luck with build quality or the like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's interesting, I'd have thought a belt would have been *more* tolerant of that, although I really don't know much about belt drive.

I'm assuming it's cause you run belt drives quite a bit tighter to avoid them jumping the relatively small teeth on the belt drive gears, so when you jump it while the bike is under throttle there's a fuckload of tension / shock as it hits the ground, powered, and suddenly stops spinning.

Also electric bikes spin up the rear wheel hilariously fast, because there's basically zero inertia mass to slow the RPM rising, it spins up as fast as a high torque motor can spin a relatively light rear wheel / drive assembly.

Funny story, we discovered that the Brammo Empulse didn't take into account getting the rear wheel off the ground coming out of the bay bridge toll plaza, because there's enough of a lip there that the rear wheel leaves the ground for a split second, and it'd throw a rear wheel speed overspeed error code because they never tested full on the gas at about 30mph with the rear wheel off the ground. Apparently at the sample rate of the wheel speed sensor, that small amount of time off the ground was enough time to cause it to pitch a fit due to the rate of change of rear wheel speed. Talking to them, Zero, Alta, this is apparently something that every electric motorcycle manufacturer learns the hard way, either limit the engine output when you detect rear wheelspeed change that quickly, or tell it to ignore that sudden climb in rear wheel speed. The Brammo engineers also apparently had a really good time recreating the conditions, too. "Yeah, just hit that speed bump at like 30, you gotta get the rear wheel off the ground. Customer reported it!". RIP Brammo, all those guys were fuckin' rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Solvent posted:

:glomp:

google has caught on and I keep seeing ads for that Swedish minimalist electric bike now.

I'm incredibly glad I bookmarked this thread.

Just the idea of having this thing as a little short range commuter bike, then tossing it into my old pickup and carting it out to the dessert is enough. I'm sure that if I like the experience, I'd take it further. My wife is an old hand on a quad, and one of the reasons I wanted to start with the FXS was so she might try it out since it's the little one. I mean, it's gotta be miles better than the quirky New Girl scooter she was talking about getting (those things are unsafe I tells ya).

Frankly if you can approach them as legitimate "toys", electric bikes are a loving giggle offroad or on track. One day, I'm gonna have my own little dirt oval, and some 50 sized electric bikes to train on, just swap bikes to keep them topped up.

Electric bikes are also great starters, cause they're unintimidating and easy to control, not having a clutch goes a long rear end way.