Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Well, Wednesday I'm headed for my interview with Air Methods for a Flight Nurse interview.
Coming in with about 3 years of E.R experience, 6 years EMS, 6 years E.R tech, 6.5 years military, masters in public health, and 7 months as a nurse manager of an inpatient rehab unit.

Right now I'm freaked out about the interview testing portion. I assume it'll be like a difficult version of applying for an EMS position. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to study up on prior to then?

My plan was to make sure I have ACLS completely memorized, RSI sequence, vent management, ABG/lab values and maybe some advanced trauma stuff "blunt trauma and things we'd see from nasty MVA's."

Anyone think I'm missing something in the grand scheme of things as far as the testing phase goes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Astrofig posted:

^^Please tell me the NCLEX-RN doesn't include even half of that.....*terrified now*

You will need to know pretty much nothing about what I said I planned on studying. Flight nursing requires an advanced knowledge of critical care/emergency nursing so the test is focused on ensuring that you possess the knowledge and skills to perform your job as an ICU or E.R nurse well.

Hughmoris posted:

How strong is your cardiac knowledge? 12-lead and all that good stuff.

Pretty good. A&P of both cardiac physiology and irregularities is solid as well as identifying rhythms. I've been told two different stories: 1 is you need to know ACLS front and back etc etc, the other is don't bother they'll just expect you know it. :shrug:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I do have my TNCC. I'm pretty confident with my trauma assessments, but that's a good idea to look at STEMI protocols. I know that some places will hand you a calculator and say "you need to start a dopamine drip, here's the bag, go" and you're supposed to calculate it out.

I should probably get off the internet and back to studying.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I have an interview with both. My phone interview with a fixed wing service is this Monday and HEMS service on Wednesday.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you're not stuck on NYC look across the U.S in cities that are appealing. Here in southern New Mexico and even up in Albuquerque there's a big nursing shortage, mainly in areas of new hire such as med/surg and whatnot.

Kansas is the same way.

edit: dear loving god I got the flight nurse job.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 3, 2014

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Hurray! Tell us about the interview.

Sucked. after a few handshakes they handed me a paper and pencil and started rattling off an E.R scenario. 8 year old kid who was tachypnic, tachycardic, febrile, a right lower lobe infiltrate with altered LOC.....go

so that went pretty lovely but I ended up arriving at the destination they were wanting.

After that it was 4 scenarios, about 3 of em trauma situations where it wasn't as in depth with what to do but more along the lines of what you thought may be going wrong and what pre treatment prior to transport you'd do.

then it was 6 12 lead EKG read-outs with treatments

followed by a 75 question test about things from basic chemistry to balloon pumps, lab values, you know it.

then an interview with 4 crew members about the usual "why should we hire you, what would you do if you saw this, what's your biggest weakness"

I need a bit more practice with...well everything they said, but they thought that it wouldn't take more than an orientation phase to get me up to snuff with critical care. Either way, I'm out of the rehab game come august, done with 5 days a week 8-5 and hello 24 hour shifts!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Weebly posted:

My hospital system also gives us money off our health insurance if we are under certain wts. Also strongly encourages fatties to enroll in certain health and wellness programs.

plus it's nice to not feel like you just ran a marathon at the end of your shift if you try and be active during your non clinical time. That's reward enough.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you can ever get your hands on a PT to teach you moving techniques, they have some crazy awesome ways to move patients that pose little to no injury to your back.

Saw a few 120 pound females transfer 190 pound individuals who were max assists.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Seconding the tech, CNA or even secretary position where you want to work. You can usually get a job if you have a good relationship with the nursing staff/boss and show you have a good work ethic.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Follow up post to this: Does anyone have any insight on those with PhD's in nursing? Mainly looking at bigger universities which have large nursing schools which focus on research. I start my PhD program in the summer to continue my research from grad school, but every time I go into the faculty office it seems like everyone is depressed or on their last stretch of life, and I have yet to hear of any large bodies of research being conducted. It was similar to where I went to nursing school, which had a large faculty but I don't think produced much, if any research to my knowledge.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I would need to be at a larger university mainly because of my wife's job, since she's relegated to Division I women's sports. The cochrane collab looks like it would be a good place to work, they work with UC SF so that could be an opportunity.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

NP's work in E.R's as well, as long as you have some history of Urgent Care/E.R nursing you can relate with. We had two Family NP's work in the E.R I was in, and I had a fellow nurse who works out of a rural small town E.R. The job's essentially that of a PA in the same setting, mainly just the non emergent E.R cases that come through. Tooth-aches, musculoskeletal injuries and whatnot. They don't do much/if at all any of the critical care cases that come through. That being said, one of the PA's that worked with our flight company said she would get her fair share of Trauma patients *stabbings etc* but once it was at the point where the patient was ruled with either a crash/failed airway the docs intervened, or if the mechanism of injury was so great *GSW to chest with suspected cardiac injury or large vessel damage*

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I decided to get my PhD after working closely with a lot of NP's as well as PhD's in their respective field. It's definitely not something I'd jump straight into after nursing school thats for sure. Having that "fundamental" knowledge of how the hospital system works, and your specialty within a hospital be it E.R or Med/surg/ICU what have you will allow you to do your job as a NP 500% better. I don't even know if NP schools accept students without any prior nursing experience??

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Good ones do not. There is a minimum of 2 year experience required at my school, but they recommend more.

PhD's in nursing research on the other hand they promote doing right after BSN because field is vastly different.

That could be university based. Where I applied to required either a Masters in Nursing/DNP or a Masters in another field that correlated with 1: nursing research and 2: showed either the potential to conduct research or completion of a thesis. I also had to take a 6 question written test to prove I was capable of learning about nursing research.

I know too much about Martha Rogers now and I can't un-learn it.. It is my Burden

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

NICU and high risk OB clinicals start Wednesday for me. Should be dissapointed, but there is no homework associated with these ones, :D.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My buddy ranted out loud in class during 1st semester patho-pharm when everyone decided that asking mundane questions and trying to be smart was the way to go.

I quote: "I think it's safe to say that we as a group of 1st semester nursing students don't know poo poo about poo poo, so I think its in our best interest to keep what we read on mayoclinic.com or webMD and listen to the person up front to fill our head with exactly what we need to pass the NCLEX. And then, once we've done that, we can ask questions, as nurses."

The teacher almost cried as she thanked him.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

When you work with some nurses it makes sense. :D
Of course I took all what... 265 questions? So I wonder what that says about me.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

It's a variable difficulty test. If you're doing well it'll start giving you just hard category questions and then potentially end your test after 75 questions. If you aren't doing so hot it'll lower the difficulty of the questions and throw you more until you convince it your competent potentially up to the max of 265 or what ever. So if your test ended in 75 and you passed you kicked the poo poo out of it. If the test took you all the way to 265 you were probably borderline failing the whole time but eventually passed it. The end result is the same though, you never get a score other than pass or fail.

75 questions could be you straight up failed it too and there was no point in attempting to reconcile With more questions.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

chinchilla posted:

When people see you guys do they say "hellooooooo nurse" like the animaniacs

People think I am the pilot when and ask why I'm playing with their monitor when were packaging patients. :/

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I wouldn't do much of either. Generally they'll ask you questions such as : Where do you see yourself in the near future/short term long term goals. They may ask you about education and what your end goal is too.

The best answer I think one could say is that you think that continuing your education is important, you are excited to start your career and become experienced in the field of nursing, however at some point in the future, higher education will be pursued.

Some places, depending on staffing may just be happy you're applying and need bodies *not that it would be a great place to work if that was the mentality*. But being honest/showing your desire to better yourself in your career looks good.

Also, 2 years working in a unit is probably adequate enough to not be on anyone's poo poo list. There's a bunch of people who bounce from department to department after 6 months to a year just trying different things.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

So, infiltrated IVs?

(For reals, what do you infuse subq?)

subq infusions, I wonder if injection was meant.

Although if your patients are morbidly obese, there probably isn't a big enough needle to make that injection IM and everything becomes subcutaneous.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

Classes resume a week from tomorrow for me, and the first unit is Cardiology.

Any suggestions on up to date and/or easy to use resources for studying Cardiac?

Honestly there's quite a few decent videos on youtube regarding cardiology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-2NJRa0uw (first one I found that looked somewhat decent, but if you type in paramedic ECG or paramedic cardiology that should prepare you)

Going into the course, you should have a generalized understanding of what the heart is doing during an ECG (P wave, QRS complex, T wave etc)
understand your general rhythms and dysrhythmias, and try your best to at least have an inkling of knowledge on heart blocks. In general, they're pretty easy to interpret but a lot of people get them mixed up.
Understand how conduction works in the heart and the electric pathway
Understand the anatomy of the heart as well as physiology/blood flow.

Learn how to read and understand drat ECG strip. I was tested every class and it has helped me.. Mainly because I use a portable monitor, but it's a skill that I am very happy I have ingrained in my head.
http://www.practicalclinicalskills.com/ekg-course-contents.aspx?courseid=301

Cardiology is massive, and electrophysiology is equally as massive. If you go in with the basics, you'll be lightyears ahead of your fellow students, and from there you can reinforce what your professors teach you, and depending on how in depth they get, you won't be freaking out over the basics and can focus more energy on the complex things.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Men are the graphite rods in the nuclear drama reactor that is a nursing unit

Being the nursing manager of 30+ nurses and techs, 100% female almost led to a self inflicted GSW or MCI at my job..

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

That may be true, but depending on where you live, there are TONS of nursing positions open. They're probably happy that they have a pool to draw from and offer positions to those who are wanting to work there. 6 months is kind of long, but if big hospitals are desperate for nurses, and there seems to be a shortage of nurses/more shortages to come then if they're willing to take applicants, the more power to them.

You probably won't be expecting to get anything sexy or cool for your first nursing assignment, but getting your foot into the door of a big hospital can lead to great opportunities.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Must be geographic. El Paso and Las Cruces NM, there's offerings for 5k sign on bonuses for 18 month contracts and even anniversary bonuses just to keep nurses here. We have two big universities with nursing programs *NMSU & UTEP* and 2-3 ADN programs, and its difficult to keep nurses down here

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All the various places I pick up patients at, the nurses seem to enjoy their job, albeit 1 hospital which the staff members are paid really well but seem to always be running short, and apparently middle/upper management sucks.

You are right though, nobody really wants to come down here to work, I think some people get stuck in El Paso due to family and other ties, and those who can escape the border town head for greener pastures.

Las Cruces is a good place, and the hospitals are new grad friendly too... Oh and the food down here is ridiculously good, just an FYI.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So NMSU has an online RN to bsn program that I know nothing about, however I know their traditional bsn program is quite good, and I'll be going there for my phd.

http://schoolofnursing.nmsu.edu/rn2bsn/

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just make sure you mention you don't give a poo poo about patients and it's all about the bottom line and meeting budget.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: your doumb

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nursing students, a question for you all:

How many of your professors have a PhD background? I was talking with my advising committee regarding "future options" with my endeavor into a PhD, and I've been getting mixed signals regarding what degree/experience nursing schools want with their faculty members.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hm, that's what I was figuring. My advising committee was telling me that PhD nurses were like finding the golden egg laying goose, but from what I've seen most universities want DNP certified profs so they can educate their DNP students.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

What's "paid poo poo" in your books? I'm fine with making less money to do research, have weekends/summers/christmas off

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I liked new grads who had experience in other fields, especially customer service fields. I usually ended up asking questions related to their other job: "what did you enjoy most about that career, tell me about a time you dealt with an angry customer" etc etc. People who had positive attitudes about it like "omg I totes loved selling cellphones to assholes at Best Buy" usually had the attitude I liked to see, rather than "I hate people but I did it so I could pay for booze."

I wouldn't really list any skills you did in nursing school because it's known what skills you have when you graduate. Unless you performed brain surgery or someone taught you how to read X-ray/CT scans.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 15, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I wish I got paid overtime. On 4 of 4 right now, 24 hour shifts. Then again I get paid when I'm not doing poo poo, watching netflix in bed :smug:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We flew a patient to the William P. Clementer Jr. hospital in Dallas yesterday. Never in my life have I seen such an amazing hospital in my life. I think that it opened up in January, and it was the first time I've ever stepped in a hospital that was so up to date.

It was also kind of weird to see the hospital as a ghost town, I didn't see a single patient in any room on the multiple floors we visited.

Also, the patient rooms had 50 inch televisions, every single room where we transferred our patient.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 22, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

One of the nurses I worked with refused the flu shot because of her fear of the government putting types of nanotechnology in them.

She thought that the Government at some point might put viruses that change our DNA and cause us to do horrible government things.

Generally speaking though, nurses as a whole don't engage in healthy habits anyways, nor are they anywhere near the poster children of health. I'm not all surprised to see a few nurses in this world jumping on the anti-vaxx bandwagon.

I learned that from my masters degree :smug:

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 23, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

apathetic JAP posted:

What? I can't...I just...what?

Did she state that reason officially for declination? Was her ability to make good decisions as a health care professional and possibly as a functioning human being immediately called into question? Does she still have a job providing notatallcrazy care to patients?

:roflolmao:

She just wrote "personal reasons" I believe. She was a decent nurse all around, and I know she was a big advocate of vaccinations, but for some reason the flu shot was the way the guvment was gonna get you. All that happened is she had to wear a mask at all times in the E.R unless she was in the break room. I think when people do this whole "the government is out to get me" they must get a booklet of things they need to believe, are tested on the material and then handed their anti-gov card. You can't just pick and choose, you gotta go 100% in.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Possibly, the big thing to remember is that anti-vaxxers, fat people, smokers and anti-flu people aren't protected classes, so any private industry can say "we don't wanna hire smokes, fat people or those who don't take the flu shot."

The problem is that smoking is commonly seen as a bad thing, even by smokers themselves, so when companies say "we don't hire smokers" an overwhelming majority of individuals will say "good for you guys! you're so progressive."

This isn't the case with fat people and anti-flu shot people. While being fat is slowly starting to take the trail that smoking did to become globally disliked, there's still a large body *lol* of people who preach fat acceptance, love me for who I am, blah blah blah and all that poo poo. Same with anti-flu vaccine people. While there is a lot of data that shows the flu shot is incredibly important for health care providers, a lot of people refuse to believe the benefits. So limiting employees to those who will take the flu shot would definitely bring a lot of back-lash to the company. That plus it's also seen as taking away the freedom for individuals to choose what they want inside of their body.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Booze and nicotine, please.

I think energy drinks need to be there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I fell in more love with days off from my hospital nursing job, so there's always that.