Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm going to a lot of garage sales and flea markets here in Norway, and see lots of old Tandberg gear. Is the Sølvsuper 11 or 12 worth picking up for anything other than the novelty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I found this thing in the electronics recycling at work today, and I actually burned a CD for the first time in like 10 years:

Does anyone know anything about it? From what I can gather online, it's a non-signature, non-KI version, which were the special editions. It seems like it was produced from 1996 until last year (which is probably wrong), so it's hard to pin down a year on it. On eBay they seem to go from £20 to over £200 depending on condition.

This one plays the CD I burned just fine, but I haven't had the chance to hook it up to a receiver and speakers yet.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
So I found this in the electronics recycling at work:

gently caress you, previous owner:

Ultra-expensive proprietary cartridges aside, anything I need to know or should know? Have I found something good? It turns around smoothly without much noise, but I don't own any vinyl to test out the playback.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Well, I just bought vinyl records for the first time in my life. The good news is that the turntable identified the record size and speed on both a regular record and a single, and all motors seem to work fine. The turning noise disappeared after a few minutes of playback.

The bad news is that I am not getting any audio at all. I hear a faint faint sound from the player itself, but I'm guessing that's just the sound of the cartridge against the record.

My receiver is just a cheap Sony STR-DH520, but I tried two of the inputs on it, and got no sound in any channel. I've previously tried a CD player with one intermittent working channel on it, so I know the receiver works. Any suggestions?

And I also found this together with the record player, but it's not for this thread:

At least that seems to be working fine, even though I hardly even know what it's supposed to be used for.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Lots of good info!

Thanks! Random preamp ordered!

I'm not getting into vinyl, I don't have the time, space or means for it, so the player will be sold, as soon as I've confirmed it's working and fixed it up a little according to your advice.

The midi board will be sold too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

So I found this in the electronics recycling at work:

gently caress you, previous owner:

Ultra-expensive proprietary cartridges aside, anything I need to know or should know? Have I found something good? It turns around smoothly without much noise, but I don't own any vinyl to test out the playback.

Good news everyone! Got my preamp, got a lot of buzz and messed around with wires and stuff until I figured to ground the black wire in its spot on the preamp. The cart is in great shape, and my thrift store Top 30 album I bought for testing sounds awesome!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Sold for $320, can't complain when it was FREE, and I spent $40 on a preamp and two records.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I just scored a couple of very dirty Polk Audio Atrium 45p powered speakers in our office cleanup. It seems like once upon a time, they cost almost $300. Does anyone (KozmoNaut?) know if they are good stuff?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=68545663

This showed up on our local Craigslist equivalent. So beautiful, and the price is pretty good, but I'm not into the hobby and have no room for it :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I just found the Yamaha A-07 amplifier I grew up with at home in my parents basement, with the belonging tuner and K-07 cassette player. I did manage to google up one guy saying it was good, but he was selling it, so that's a bit biased. Does anyone know if it actually is good and worth taking care of?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I was going to spend $175 yesterday on an SL1200 in need of some TLC, but when I shoved up, it turned out to be an SL-220 :(

However, today redeemed it:

It unfortunately does not come with the superfancy remote. The motor for extending the cassette deck seems dead, and I don't have any tapes to test it with. CD player and receiver plays very nice on my headphones. Cost me about $50, plus $3 for the CD. Value new could have been about $3500-$4000, and the CD player and tuner should sell for at least $500 if I don't decide to keep it. I'm sure KozmoNaut will know exact prices and details about this.

It's a Beomaster 7000, Beocord 7000 and Beogram CD 7000.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Another $40 scored me Redline 60.2 speakers with cables, and a MCL 2 P second room amplifier.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
All this gear for less than half of what I was going to spend on a worn out record player. I think I made out OK this weekend.

One of the connectors for Speaker 1 on the receiver will not accept the plug, so the speakers are hooked up to Speaker 2, but I can't see it mattering too much.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up a couple of tapes at a fleamarket after haggling down the price 90%. My wife said "they look just like a hipster iphone cover."

The tape deck works beautifully, and sounds pretty good. The button in front that opens/closes the drawer doesn't get any response, but the drawer pulls in when you turn the system off, so motors and belts are OK.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I put my beautiful Bang & Olufsen up for sale :smith:

I love it so much, but I love money for food and rent even more.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

http://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=72741806

It's in Norway, so I don't really expect anyone in this thread to buy it, just to share my anguish over having to let it go.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

iSimian posted:

I actually live in your city, but sadly not on the lookout for more boxes. (Please buy my half defunct Primare DVD player)

Uansett, lykke til med salget!

I added a B&O MX 4000 CRT TV to this to play old video games, and I'm waiting for the link cables to integrate it all. It's kinda neat to have around 50 000 NOK in luxury entertainment electronics and not having spent 1000 yet on it all.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Disregard my mess, I managed to find genuine floor stands for my speakers. $30 at our local B&O retailer, and they were mine! I also checked out their $25,000 85" TV and at least got to look at their $80,000 pair of BeoLab 90s that they were having trouble with, so they couldn't get sound from them.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, they are 60.2s It didn't occur to me not to put them that close to the CRT :doh: They made a lot of pretty colors across the screen. No lasting damage thankfully.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-333 and some DIN plugs to hook them up to the B&O. Don't even know where I'm going to put them, but they were $35 and pretty much brand new.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
$20 at the Salvation Army got me this:

AKAI AP-307 direct drive quartz lock. Have to get a phono preamp again to hear it, but it does spin steadily at least. Sooooo much grime to clean off, this came from a dirty home! The dustcover is broken and fixed with a sticker, but it will do for now until I decide to fix it up or sell it on.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up a pair of BeoVox 2700 at the flea markets today.

I definitively have developed some kind of problem. I blame the forums and KozmoNaut for it. Thankfully, shopping fancy gear in Norway is like thrift shopping with cheat codes. These were $6, and all in all my vintage stereo gear is less than $300.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

$20 at the Salvation Army got me this:

AKAI AP-307 direct drive quartz lock. Have to get a phono preamp again to hear it, but it does spin steadily at least. Sooooo much grime to clean off, this came from a dirty home! The dustcover is broken and fixed with a sticker, but it will do for now until I decide to fix it up or sell it on.

Some deoxit, a new cartridge and a well written ad later, and it sold for $340.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
When something this weird pops up, you just can't not get it. $40, works nicely, and appears to go for quite a pretty penny on eBay.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

Nice! I've always wanted one of those.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252380631701?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Go nuts! Let me know if you're a goon reading this and you win it!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up a Technics SL-Q210 with a new Tonar cartridge and listened to it for about 30 minutes before selling it on for a $10 profit.

I then picked up a Bang & Olufsen TX2 with MMC5 that sorta matches my stereo. The B&O tangential turntables have started going for fantasy prices, with many of them going for €300-€800. At right under $200, it's the most expensive component in my vintage stereo. I'm gonna guess the Technics was technically a better turntable.

I picked up an 80s Sony CD-changer, a CDP-C5M for free because the door wasn't opening. I fixed the door, but it wouldn't read disks, so it was given away again. Heavy as poo poo, metal construction, cool to look at the motors spin, but if it doesn't work I can't keep it.

I picked up a Yamha CDX-393 with cool orange display for free since it had started developing problems reading discs, but that appears to have fixed itself on the car ride on the way home. Don't know what to do with it yet, but maybe I'll get a matching Yamaha receiver or an old NAD to hook it up to.

Finally I got a region modded Sony DVP-S7700 for $35, which once upon a time was a $2000 DVD/CD player. It refuses to play certain DVDs, but CDs seem to work just fine. Giant and heavy hunk of metal, with a glow in the dark remote! Does RGB over SCART on my B&O MX4000.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

TooLShack posted:

Just buy them to resale the cart/stylus and toss the rest.

Yeah, lots of the older Beosystems/Beomasters also use MMC carts, and people are letting those go for pennies. Refurbishing the carts isn't too expensive either.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Well poo poo. Just for fun I put my Bang & Olufsen stereo up for a fantasy price I thought nobody would pay. Now I've got an offer for it at the asking price, and I'm very internally conflicted. I do love it very much, but it is obsolete and I need the space and money!

Edit: Well I talked to the guy, and he's a serious B&O and Tandberg collector that would put most of us to shame. I sold it to him.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 22, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Dogen posted:

What are you going to use your lotto winnings on?

Rent, food and new tires I already put on my car and credit card :(

And one of these, with or without tape deck.

Edit: The dude took my Sony and Yamaha too!

evobatman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 22, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Flaggy posted:

How much was the asking price?

All of it went for about $1100. Nobody wanted it with my previous ad that was $800, so I thought I was safe.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
The serious collector who bought my old B&O system sent me some pics of a tiny slice of his stuff:

I put out a want-ad for new B&O stuff, and picked up this today:

The tape deck is broken, but who cares. It was from a guy in his 60s who had his hobby room filled with among other nice stuff a Kenwood mini disc player, B&O Century, Pioneer DAT player, some Proton stuff and lots of other nice things.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Well I'm pretty sure I'm closing in on some hoarding diagnosis, but until they catch me and put me away, the rest of you have to suffer with me! At least I only buy ultra cheap stuff, and sell it on with a profit ASAP.

I couldn't sit still on my rear end today, so I went out thrifting. Stolen pics this time, because I'm lazy.

Sony APM-215 speakers, with Super Acoustic Turbo and apparently something called APM technology. They came with Sonys high-end 80s boomboxes, and have square woofers and lots of 80s text on them.

Vector Research VA-1100 integrated amplifier. There seems to be a lot of info about Vector Research online, and they all agree that there is little info about Vector Research online. It has just a button for Loudness, which seems to be just a bass and treble boost.

Sanyo TP 30 turntable, direct drive with auto return. Unfortunately no quartz lock, and the speed controls are all over the place, so they will need some serious deoxitizing. Had a nice newer Sony cartridge and headshell on it.

All in all these things sound great together. They end up with a warm 80s sound, and the speakers and amp REALLY impress me. I tried pushing a bit with some modern MP3s, and it all sounded clear and great.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
help!

this stuff keeps ending up at my house

I don't know how it happens

My wife might leave me

Also got the same RL 60.2 speakers with stands I had before, but in white this time, and needing new straps and some TLC.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
After I sold my B&O 7000, I put out a want-ad for their standing CD player. One guy replied and said I could have his broken one for free as long as I paid shipping!

It's missing a door, and I spent a good couple of hours figuring out routing the wires for the door mechanism and had 3 or 4 tries where I powered it up and they jumped out of alignment, but everything works beautifully now! It also included a Beo4 remote and BeoLab 2500 active speakers.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

CRAYON posted:

I've been looking for a decent tape deck, anyone have thoughts on the Sharp RT-100 for $15?

For $15 you can hardly go wrong. What I'd look for in a tape player is 3 head design, automatic tape type selection and fancy noise reduction. Pick up this one, and sell it again for $15 when you find something better.

In other news, I regretted selling my black BeoSystem 7000 so much I bought a new one. It's white, so it matches my white B&O TV and speakers. Now I just have to wait for someone to drive it to me throught the sharing economy transport app I used.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm looking to buy a CD player for nostalgia reasons, but everyone seems to think their particular player is made of solid gold.

A late-90s CD player shouldn't cost more than $10, if anything at all, dammit.

Follow your own advice and buy a DVD player.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Sounds like flea market time. I picked up two DVD players with HDMI and 1080p upscaling for 40 NOK each, and even that $2000 Sony player I only paid 200 NOK for. Too many people in the classifieds think what they have is gold, while flea markets just want any and all money they can get. I paid 3000 NOK for my white 7000 system from the classifieds (too much, I know), while my black one was only 450 at a flea market. I did sell that one for 9000, so I guess I'm one of the people who think what I have is gold.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

So I ended up buying a CD player again, I can't even remember how long it's been since I last had one. $30, probably could have gotten something cheaper, but I love how this particular model looks.

I'm a complete sucker for the no-nonsense designs that companies like NAD and Yamaha adhere to. Straight to the point, very little bullshit. Probably a bit to much audiophile bullshit in their product descriptions, but they're marketing to a niche audiophile market these days, so eh.

Behold my extremely professional old-school DYMO labels on the preamp.

Now I just need a matching casette deck, and I think I've got a lead on a 3-head/3-motor Yamaha that's a good match for the CD player. Perfect for my current collection of like five tapes :)

Very similar to the CDX-393 I owned for a little while. That orange display and the design language are awesome, it looks like it fits right in with 80s Giugiaro designs from the Aliens movie. I considered getting a matching amp for mine, but then I sold it.

I picked up a couple of AKAI SW-7 II at the salvation army for cheap. They are small, heavy as poo poo and sound awesome, I actually wondered if I had remembered to unhook my bigger speakers when I was testing them. They are getting sold again, but it's fun to pick up just for testing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I sold off my BeoCenter 8500 with my spare pair of Redline 60.2, and picked up a white BeoSystem 7000 that matched my speakers and MX7000 retrogaming TV

Also in the pics, my BeoSystem 2500. Good thing I will never need anything from those shelves. Maybe I'll pick up a white Wii eventually to go with the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
This one is just too loving pretty! I picked it up way underpriced, so I'm not sure I can justify hanging on to it :(