Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I decided to get into this record thing, so I picked up these at a pawn shop: Pioneer PL-15D turntable and Sansui RZ-7000 receiver. I had to order a new cartridge and belt for the turntable, so I don't even know if it's working. I can see the cam spinning, though, so at least it turns on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I ordered a Shure cartridge, though I suppose I could have just gotten a stylus. Oh well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whee got the belt for my turntable and it's running quite well, as far as I can tell! Sounds pretty good through my headphones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I found my turntable (Pioneer PL-12D) in a thrift shop for $20. Of course, it needed a belt and a cartridge, but once I got those, it's been great except that sometimes the auto-return is over-zealous.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Crossposting myself from the NMD vinyl thread:
Some googling suggests that you should be okay especially if you place it over a divider. There's multiple threads of people putting things like CRT TVs and full two-channel setups on top of 2x4 Expedits.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

If my turntable is properly setup to play a normal record, do I need to change anything to play a record meant to be played from center outward? (I'm thinking antiskate maybe?) I'm having some trouble with skipping that I don't normally have.

Also, am I going to destroy my cartridge if I lower the needle onto the paper label and try to play through it?

Someone got Jack White's latest!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your receiver's amp is *probably* better than the turntable's.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheLastManStanding posted:

When I got my first CD drive, my hard drive had less than 600 MB. It was a massive jump in technology.

I remember getting a Zip drive for our Performa 450 which came with a 120 MB hard drive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The automatic function on my turntable (I forget which model) is broken and half the time I have to fight it to actually start playing and I'd prefer manual just for that. I'm sure if I pulled it apart, I could fix it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're allowed to make $1.50 impulse buys. ESPECIALLY of Europe's "The Final Countdown".

And now I want a copy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The automatic on my turntable was a piece of poo poo, so I tried to remove the mechanism, and instead left myself with a table that won't turn off. It's a piece of poo poo, so not a big deal, and I got a switch so I can just turn off the power, but I can do without.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Obviously you need to get a launch PS1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghetto Blaster posted:

This is for sale for £25

I know nothing about record players but quite want one, is it a good price? Is this a good manufacturer/model?

Pro-Ject are good, yes. I would buy that in a heartbeat for that price.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like that's a pretty low risk if you're even remotely careful.

The time is a concern, but if you put it on before going to bed, it's not going to be much of an issue, especially if you leave it just to really messed up records.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do we know about SL-1300s? One is showing up in local CL in what looks to be good shape other than missing its counterweight and the dust cover being destroyed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Now you'll be listening to "My Heart Will Go On" in style!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

A record button, a rewind function, and a 5 band EQ? drat, you would have been king of the block with that clipped to your waist.

Only 4 bands, friend. This isn't the Jesus Walkman you're looking for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Jesus $350? Unless you are going for the look, A Stanton T-series will do the job for $150-200 less leaving you PLENTY of room for a really nice cart and giving you the ability to rip your vinyl to digital (or mix or whatever).

I'm glad to see they added the 78 capabilities but I hope that they tout that it requires a different stylus.
Any particular recommendations here? The T62 is $159 on Amazon and I've been looking to get something that actually works. I don't need USB at all.

It's fuckin' ugly though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, no, just casual home use. The thing I have now from a thrift shop is a POS and I'd like something better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cool. Thanks for the recommendations! Craigslist around here is pretty bad, unfortunately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Animale posted:

Check out Som, they usually have a few refurbished record players for sale.

Will do!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HungryMedusa posted:

Are the turntable recommendations in the OP still valid? I am looking to upgrade our $40 RCA now that my family actively listens to vinyl. Looking to spend $200 ish. My husband and I aren't audiophiles or anything, we just want something solid that works and sounds decent. We have mostly rock and R&B.

From the previous page when I was looking for similar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The Music Hall is about $200 and it's alright. https://www.turntablelab.com/products/music-hall-mmf-usb-1-turntable
The Pro-ject Elemental is a cool thing. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Elemental-Gray-Turntable-Grey/dp/B01CZW7WFQ?th=1
Also in the Sub $200 category, you can probably find a used Technics SL-D2, or maybe even SL-1900 on craigslist for $100-150

If I were gonna spend $350 on a new turntable, I'd probably get myself something like the Rega RP-1
https://www.amazon.com/REGA-Rega-RP1-Turntable-Gray/dp/B004B3GO9I?th=1

Do you need silly features like auto return/off?
Denon DP-300F has you covered. https://www.amazon.com/Denon-DP-300F-Automatic-Analog-Turntable/dp/B000FMNBXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487097187&sr=8-1&keywords=DP-300F

Edit: TTL sells it with an ortofon 2m cart
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/denon-dp-300f-turntable-ortofon-2m-red-upgrade

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perhaps more common are Eames airport slings which are very comfy for as simple as they are (basically some lightly padded vinyl slung across a metal frame).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That rug definitely ties that room together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is useful to me since I've been considering an LP120 for awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ugh, spoke too soon- there’s also now a $399 ATLP140XP, which seems to be more of a direct 1200 competitor? It comes with the DJ version of the VM95 but that’s apparently swappable back. I wonder what the differences are.

And an ATLP7 and some ATLP30 and 40 or whatever wood plinthed ones. There’s a lot of new AT turntables for 2019 is my point.
Yeah, the 120X seems to be for home use, and the 140XP for DJs:

quote:

The following are differences between the AT-LP120-USB model turntable and the AT-LP120xUSB.

o Lower cost
o Add ground lug
o Add removable RCA terminals (detachable cables)
o Global power with external AC/DC conversion
o Updated VM95E cartridge with interchangeable styli family
o Removable cue target light
o Remove tone arm height adjustment
o Lower torque motor for better HiFi audio performance
o Improved preamp frequency response
o Remove reverse directional play

Does tone arm height really matter for home use?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s funny, Audiokarma seems to have concluded the opposite- or rather that the 140XP is the better successor, unless you need the built-in preamp, and that the 120X is a downgrade in many respects.

I’ve been collecting records since 2011 and I’m at the point where I’d like to move up from the LP120/ProJect Debut-tier of tables. For me that’s always meant getting a 1200, and even at a grand without a headshell the Mk 7 appeals to me as an “endgame” table. Something like a Rega RP3 comes in at a similar price and I’d much rather go with DD.

But if the 140XP can get within spitting distance of the Mk7 for $400 then it’s a no-brainer at that cost.

Also where did you get that quote from and is there one for the 140XP?

It's from the Q&A section of the official product page. There's nothing similar on the 140XP page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

the quality of those pictures leads me to believe your love of vintage gear also extends to cell phones

Also carpeting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sick printer

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it sounds good to you that's what matters. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Djarum posted:

Well as Techmoan said in the video, they aren’t going to go to all that work and cost for 7000 units. They are going to make a non-anniversary one sooner than later.

Only downside is the lack of headphone port. I always wanted one for testing records while digging through crates.

I'm glad they have courage

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"DO NOT SET HEAT ABOVE 65 DEGREES"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have one of those. It seems fine. You can replace the cartridge if you want (and as you noted, you'll need to for 78s), but it sounds good to me, and the RPM checking app seems to suggest it's solid.

I understand it's technically a downgrade in some manner from the model it replaces, but probably not in any way that really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EC posted:

Perfect, thanks!

Does your turntable have a built-in preamp? If it's a vintage one, this is unlikely, and you'll need an additional preamp. If it's more modern, it may have it.