Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Sneaking a hound dog in this thread.

Poor corgi (mom's) has a bladder infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

Sneaking a hound dog in this thread.

Poor corgi (mom's) has a bladder infection.

Turns out she has more than a bladder infection, her bladder is full of bladder stones and she's going in for a cystotomy tomorrow. Frustrating because she has had the symptoms of this for a long time, when my mom brought it up with them in the past the vet said her odd peeing behavior was normal (pees a little bit, walks around, pees a little bit, sometimes pees a lot.) They didn't do an x-ray until today because she became incontinent a few days ago. Sounds like it's a standard procedure so I hope she comes through it fine.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

All of those stones came from that poor dog's bladder. Be careful what you're feeding. She ate Nutro Natural Choice for 7 or 8 years, which might have caused it - or it might have been eating too many milkbones.

Now she's on prescription food and recovering well from the surgery($900) on Wednesday.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Did you have the stones analyzed? If so, what kind are they?

No, we didn't have them analyzed.

She did get an infection though, she's at the vet yesterday and today. :(

I think I've convinced my parents to change her vet, the ones she goes to now kind of sucks.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You don't play wack-a-mole with your corgi? Lucy loves trying to catch your hand when it's moving around under a sheet/blanket/whatever. BTW she's doing fine after her surgery/infection posted about earlier in this thread.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Funny. The corgi is obsessed with playing frisbee, she'll bring it back and shove it in your hand/face. The basset hound will bark and run a little bit but just looks at the frisbee like "why did you throw this if you want it back?"

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Snow last month. After surviving the bladder surgery, she now has a scratched cornea that's taking a long time to heal. I think my Basset might have done it. Lucy the corgi will just sit there and get smacked in the face by the Amorette the basset's tail.

Cut my drat hair already.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The only thing that survives Lucy are the hard plastic flavored bones and nylon dog frisbees. They last a few months before she murders them.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

systran posted:

This is FL only but good if you want to adopt a corgi:

http://www.sunshinecorgirescue.org/

Yeah, search for Corgi rescue in your state. Or use petfinder.com, a lot of rescue groups put their doggies on it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Great summer treats are ice cubes made outta chicken stock. I always give them to the dogs after they've been out in the heat.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Citrus isn't good for doggies.

Once I found a lemon in the backyard (I don't know what it was doing there.) So I started playing fetch with it and my roommates' dog. He brought it back three or four times. Then, he bit through the skin, made a hilarious dog-face and said gently caress that.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Millions posted:

Has anyone else's corgi been hit hard by the weather shift into autumn? Tegan has been miserable the past few days, reverse sneezing all the time :(

This is the face of snuffly depression.

Lucy's arthritis is acting up, she has more trouble getting up. Has anyone had cold-laser therapy done on their older dog?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do all corgi's crap so much? I started walking the corgi with my basset every morning for about the last month, and Lucy the corgster shits 3-5 times each trip. I gave up on recycling grocery bags and bought some dog poop bags so I can carry enough. I assume it has something to do with their anatomy? Or is this abnormal?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Good to know. My ex-roomates pit/shepard mutt was kind enough to only poop in his backyard—no matter how far I'd walk him he'd wait until he got home.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yep, last time I took Lucy to the pet store she pooped outside in the shrubbery and then peed in an aisle. Sheesh.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
P.S. there are also Corgi rescues.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Playing in the snow. She broke off one of her toenails 2-3 weeks ago, but all the limp is gone.

And goddamnit google, why do you make youtube link to my real name now? Stupid fucker. Pretend it's a video.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

If you had a Youtube account before Google merged everything, there should be an option to pick which account is displayed (or something like that).

Also that photo is super-cute.

I finally found the option so I could use my old username.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oUCdeoQbtc

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is wanting to eat snow a sign of any problems? Lucy likes to go sit in the snow and eat it. I've started bringing in a handful and putting it in a bowl so she can go to town inside where it's warm.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
5-6 miles is a long ways for those little legs. I'd look into a breed with longer legs if you want a companion on long walks. When Lucy was younger, she used to walk with my mom, she'd poop out after a couple of miles. Now from arthritis, or whatever is wrong with her hips, she can barely make it on a short walk in the morning (I usually don't take her unless she gets up and acts like she really wants to go, had to carry her part of the way recently-she wants to do it herself so bad but you can tell when she can't go anymore.)

And yeah, she barks a lot. It's not as loud as my basset—but she'll bark at the school bus stopping down the street or any strange motor noises she doesn't recognize.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Do any of your dogs ever get rug burn? Do they ever get stuck in weird places because they are so low to the ground, like this sports car I saw the other day that tried to jump a median and ended up suspended there in midair?

Na, Corgis are agile. They were built for running around chasing poo poo after all.

Lucy did get stuck in the closet once. I couldn't find her anywhere until I checked a closet. She had got in it and somehow shut the the door behind her.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Welp I think my mom's dog Lucy is like 11 or 12 now. She has to take incontinence pills now because I started noticing her fur was wet in the morning. And she cant stand the antibiotics for her bladder infection so she's probably going to get a shot, then she probably has Addison's Disease, and that's why a lot of her fur didn't grow back evenly.

She seems perkier than ever though.

Just curious what the price range for these tests are in other places. Her blood test was $50, urine test $40. And the Addison's Disease test is going to be $190 (have to wait until the bladder infection is cleared)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Our girl has Addisons. She is around 9 right now. The worst part is the requirement that you have to periodically keep testing them to make sure the meds don't need to be adjusted and that gets pretty expensive. We were at least able to find a better deal on meds. A month supply was costing us around 100 and the vet hooked us up with their supplier. Now we get 2 months supply for 60.

I'd be curious to know if it actually is Addisons because in our case we either had to bring her in or she would have died for sure. Doesn't seem like a disease they can just limp along with.

Weird, my doctor said several times "this isn't an emergency we can treat it whenever once you decide." Had her pee tested today and her bladder infection cleared up (after getting the shot because she wasn't eating with pills, poor old lady), so hopefully her owners/my parents will get on the Addison's test soon (once I remind them 20 times over the next month or two.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

Weird, my doctor said several times "this isn't an emergency we can treat it whenever once you decide." Had her pee tested today and her bladder infection cleared up (after getting the shot because she wasn't eating with pills, poor old lady), so hopefully her owners/my parents will get on the Addison's test soon (once I remind them 20 times over the next month or two.)

Look at this poor old lady-her fur didn't grow back right-the vet says it's Addison's (and she has a pot belly).

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Lucy's always gotten those plastic ones that are flavored. They're like, bone shaped with bumps on them in a different color.

It's the only thing she's never been able to completely destroy.

And, she has Addison's disease, but the vet said she'll just lose some more hair and her belly will grow some if it's not treated. But it won't kill her. That's weird someone else's vet said it was something that has to be taken care of ASAP.

Dunno if my parents are going to treat it or not, I wouldn't. She's already old and doesn't really tolerate pills well at all anymore.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I thought Cushings (opposite of Addisons) caused the pot belly? Or do both? hmm

Yep, it's Cushing's she has, I'm dumb and got it mixed up.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Have a corgster picture. She's not fat, it's just the Cushing's gives them a pot belly. And she started her meds for it yesterday, hopefully she can tolerate 'em.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

thylacine posted:

Have a corgster picture. She's not fat, it's just the Cushing's gives them a pot belly. And she started her meds for it yesterday, hopefully she can tolerate 'em.

If anybody's following along with me rambling about Lucy, the they noticed the Cushing's meds weren't working after the second test, so the vet did some more tests and sadly, she has a big cancer tumor on her liver.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Hobold posted:

Noo. Not fair! :cry:

Is there anything they can do for her now? Or is it a matter of time/ making the decision?

Just manage her pain, or pay for like 6-8,000 dollars in surgery, which isn't going to happen and might not do any good.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks, I'm for sure going to give her lots of bones, which she missed on after being on a more restrictive diet after her bladder stones episode four or five years ago and make sure she gets lots of attention.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Welp, Lucy gave up over the weekend, she said she was done and stopped eating at all (we were basically making her different food every day in hopes that she ate something, then she started just throwing it up) or doing much of anything but laying there. I spent a lot of on the floor with her yesterday until it was time for her to go to the vet, even got some kisses.

RIP Lucy.

And here's my sister's goofy corgster mix we're dog sitting as recompense for my sad Lucy stories. She's very sneaky and always looking for a chance to chase a bunny down the street or sneak in some food. We don't know what she's mixed with but she seems mostly Corgi with some floppy ears.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks Goonies, she was sweet!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hello, I haven't visited this thread since Lucy passed away last year, but I've been taking care of my sister's corgster mutt for a few months now while she's out of the country so here's a few pics:

She's a corgi-shepherd I guess. She has a corgi body (including butt) and hair but very emotive ears and coloring I haven't seen on a corgi before--and she smiles like a corgi. She's also naughty and gobbles down dead birds before I can catch her, runs really drat fast, and falls on her back for belly rubs whenever you get close to her.

Y'all got Furminators for shedding? They're amazing.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Ruby has one of those maze-looking bowls to keep her eating slowed down. We feed her (and fed Lucy) 2 cups a day, which keeps their weight fine.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Glazier posted:

This may sound a little :goonsay: but my method since I was a kid was to name dogs after first party Sega characters and Cats after first party Nintendo characters. At the very least it helps narrow down the list.

I look through lists of foreign names until something sounds pretty. So far I've gotten Nadja and Piroska for my old cats and Amorette for my basset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

The bear/corgi still living with me.

• Locked thread