Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I turned on Match and it ran and uploaded a bunch of stuff. Now when I try to drag a bunch of tracks to my iPhone in iTunes it says that they could not be copied because they are only available in iCloud. I am 100% sure that the files are stored on my computer. What is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wolffenstein posted:

Did you turn on iTunes Match on your iPhone?

Yeah. It seems that the only way to get stuff on the phone now is to download from iTunes Match, transferring via USB isn't an option.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheChipmunk posted:

Which brings up a question: How do you see what songs are actually on your iPhone? It seems like it will cache songs until it runs out of space - but I don't want it to do this as I only have 16GB. Anyone know where you can see what you have on the phone?

Stuff already on the phone won't have a cloud icon in the music app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't remember my phone deleting anything when I turned on Match. It had an ominous-sounding message that sounded like it was going to do that though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Wow you're having a terrible iTunes experience.

I don't know what the benefit of converting to AAC is.

Isn't the convert option for transferring stuff to an iPhone/iPod? I think it keeps the stuff on your computer intact but puts a lower bitrate AAC file on the device to save space.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Packard Goose posted:

I don't need to be connected to the internet 24/7 via my idevices.

This is what everyone says until they get a device that is connected to the Internet 24/7.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
October release with no mention at today's event probably means that there aren't any real improvements to expect. All the irritating things that we hate will still be there in the next version.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Excavation posted:

I've recently reinstalled Windows and since this has happened iTunes has been formatting every page in the store completely wrong, as if there's some style sheet that's not loading. It makes it bloody hard to navigate things, so does anyone know how to make it work properly?

Reset the store cache in Preferences -> Advanced, maybe?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Where did the "Downloading" list go? I managed to figure out how to get the sidebar back in, but they seem to have gutted it.

Doesn't it only appear if you have downloads in progress?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I signed up for a year, removed the DRM from my 12 songs, then didn't renew the next year. Joke's on you, Apple. :smug:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would not rely on iTunes Match as your only backup for music. Definitely keep your own copy of everything on a HD somewhere.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There has literally never been a software update involving a UI change that didn't have people clamoring for a checkbox to put everything back the way it was.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There used to be some software that could split/trim mp3 files without having to re-encode, but the edit points had to fall between the blocks of encoded audio so you couldn't necessarily cut at precisely the time you wanted (like within 0.1s or something). It was like cropping a jpg at the boundaries between artifacts so you don't introduce new artifacts.

edit: Looks like Windows or Lunix only though

withak fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 12, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or $25 for your entire collection if you use iTunes Match, right? Shouldn't deleting your local copy and letting Match re-download it give you the DRM-free version?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mentholmoose posted:

iTunes Match only works for music, right, and not TV Shows/Movies?

Yeah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you have track names like "★★★ (Good Stuff)" then you deserve whatever problems iTunes throws at you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Those are the playlist names. I use stars because they seem to be the "easiest" way to manage songs on iOS devices. If you're curious, I use five stars for tracks that are most in my head at the moment, then I bump them down to four stars once they get stale. I use three stars for tracks I should listen to again. Every few months or so, I spend some time in iTunes sorting things into manual playlists. The stars help me keep things organized in the interim, though.

Try "*** (Good Stuff)" instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Accipiter posted:

RAAMTX47K77L

I tooked this one, thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Apple and Amazon (and any other retailer) probably hate international media licensing/distribution agreements as much as we do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feslyn posted:

But how do OCD people listen to podcasts?

I don't know but if this thread is any indication then it involves a lot of complaining

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have 47.77 GB free though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The OP should consist of only a single, gigantic :argh:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is supposed to delete those songs if you run of space. Discontinue :spergin: until your phone's storage is actually full.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why would you use iTunes to play videos if you didn't have to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is iTunes' way of punishing you for making bad decisions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As far as I can tell the only way to change the order of songs in an iCloud Music playlists appearing on your phone is to manually drag tracks around. You can't sort them by album, track no., date, random, etc, even if the playlist is sorted that way in iTunes on your computer. This is some major bullshit for a smartphone music app in 2016.

withak fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 17, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

jackpot posted:

if I just drag those files into itunes will those songs be available on all my devices?

Yes. After you drag them in it will scan them then either match or upload them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think play counts have never synced.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What's an iPod.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Does anyone else have problems with iTunes not syncing the phone reliably? I have to quit iTunes and relaunch it about once a day at least if I want the sync to go past step 2 of 4. I usually get an error box saying the connection was reset when I try to force it, and it doesn't always sync just by plugging my phone in.

Are you a time traveler from 2012?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can't remember the last time I synced with iTunes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Install Overcast, problem solved.

edit: Sorry, I guess this isn't an iOS thread. They do have a web-based player tho, and it can't possibly be worse than iTunes.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 30, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ syncing with a computer in the year 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a secret way to get a list of every track I have loved? You can select by "love" in smart playlists but that only gives me 61 songs and I know that there are albums that are loved but don't appear in the playlist.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not even that, I can love a bunch of stuff in iTunes then create the smart playlist and the stuff I just loved isn't there. It does show up as loved on my phone though.

What piece of poo poo. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ, it turns out that right-clicking on an album and hitting "love" isn't the same as selecting every track on the album, right-clicking, and hitting "love". What a piece of poo poo. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Before you waste a bunch of time figuring it out, making a smart playlist for "loved" songs only works if you "loved" the song on your computer. If you "love" it on your phone then you will see the heart icon on every device, but it won't get picked up by a smart playist. Thanks Apple.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They aren't the same thing, they are separate subscriptions.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They want you to buy a Mac OP.