Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
2007 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
I've had it for about a year and a half and i love it.
I've put sways, coilovers, wider and stickier tires (275/40/20) and a front strut tower bar on it. Also an intake and exhaust along with a tune.
Its putting down around 410hp/432tq at the wheels and running in the 12's at the drag strip.

I've got a track day at NJMSP at the end of the month and I cant wait to get some road course time in it.

now

when it was new

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I took my car out to a track day today. The suspension work and tires i have on it worked great and allowed me to run down a lot of cars in the corners. That is up until the point when my powersteering fluid boiled and the pump puked all over the engine compartment. I also must say 100mph sweepers suck with no power steering.

Nothing like being meatballed because of the cloud of white smoke pouring out the back of your car.

No one has posted up any pics of my car on the track so ill post one i took of my friend's SRT 300 after i got sidelined with the mechanical

kill me now fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 31, 2009

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

like.a.kite posted:

On said brick, did I read 12 seconds? No, that was a different one of those.

huh?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

like.a.kite posted:

Trying to remember what the Dodge wagon is called, but was noting the one here that does 12s quarter-miles.

It's a Dodge Magnum SRT-8. That is the one that does 12's in the 1/4

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I finally got some pics of my car back from my latest track day

Bonus pouring smoke out the back and about to get meatballed

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Weezy88 posted:

I used irfanview. They were over 1000X1000 before, I use the half button and thought they were 800X600 but they came out a little over. Just didn't feel like re uploading and stuff.

e. few new pics

Your car looks fantastic dumped.

you have the only scion ive ever liked.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Ricecop69 posted:

Here's my money pit. 04 GTO, m6, 437 rwhp/398 rwtq. CNC ported 243 casting heads, upgraded valvetrain, 224/228 114 cam, full exhaust, built t56, twin disc clutch, bolt ons.

what does it run?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

nerdrum posted:

Whenever you're ready to bite the bullet on a new pulley or injectors or a k pro lemme know. I've been a vendor with ct and hondata for a while.

JOIN ME IN THE 300HP REALM

Just so you know that dyno has been known to spit out somewhat inflated numbers.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Crayvex posted:

I've owned it for over a year and I still absolutely love it.

K&N CAI which has its own sound

Not a bad 0-60 time considering I have six 16lb bowling balls in the trunk.

I can fit a baby in the back of mine!

DON'T EAT IN THE CAR!

Nice challenger, have you picked up a predator yet? It really wakes the car up.

You should take it to the strip and set the 0-60 timer, i was only able to get a 4.4s one on the street (though i haven't tried in a long time) but have gotten as low as a 4.1s at a track with good prep and a little burnout.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

26MPH?! That's insane! Driving those speeds on public roads will get you killed!

Any reason you Mopar guys don't go SCT over Diablo? SCT is so much nicer to tune with and has a bunch of parameters (for Mustangs, anyway) that the Diablo just doesn't have access to.

Because SCT hasn't put much effort into their tuner for these cars yet. Diablo is the tuner of choice on the 3rd gen hemi right now because its the most functional and if there is something you cant tune trough the basic parameters on it you can have a tuner load a CMR tune through it.

Its just the way it is, even though the motors been out for a few years some of the big names in performance are only just getting their feet wet with them. A lot of this is because DCX was very stingy with releasing info on the ECU and that delayed development on a lot of things. Companies like Kenne bell didn't bother making products for us because the tuning wasn't there. Now that there is tuning available they've started making stuff for us. Diablo was the first company to come out with a proper tuner and it opened up a lot of doors with modding the engines. They had their tuner out probably a year and a half before SCT really got anywhere with theirs and they have been behind the curve ever since.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

You're not scared of a Chrysler automatic?

The NAG-1 is a stout 5speed auto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G-Tronic
There are plenty of 5-600hp cars running them with minimal issues. Its really the only good technology transfer on Chrysler's side of the entire DCX relationship.

frozenphil posted:

How well do you think your warranty will hold up to your mods? Just curious if you know if Chrysler is a douche about mods like some other companies are.

They are actually in general not douches about warranty work on modded cars, though it can depend on the dealer you go to. I rolled mine in after i blew a power steering pump at the track with my tow hooks and the outlines of my number on the rear window clearly visible. Despite that and the extensive suspension modifications and wider stickier tires they replaced it without so much as a question.

As long as you haven't blatantly caused the issue (they might not replace your transmission if you have a blower and left your drag slicks on) you should be ok. Hell, one of the mechanics at my local dealer is the prime installer and tuner of Arrington's 3rd gen hemi's in the northeast and he has his own little corner workshop to do performance part installs inside the service center.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Omning posted:

Good eye on the rotors! They're considered stock though, people were complaining about brake noise (or other problems, I don't remember for sure) with the blanks and they replaced them with these. So at some point if you went in for a brake job at a dealer or went in for warranty service they replaced them with these.

Height is stock for an srt8. Might be the angle of the driveway or the way the wheel is turned on the pic of it behind my wifes Mazda...

Yeah, there was a TSB early on and after about mid '06 all SRT-8's came with the factory slotted rotors.

There is basically no reason to try to upgrade the stock srt rotors anyway. They are 14.2" and are pretty bulletproof. The set I ran lasted 9 track days with Carbotech XP-10s and are only just now showing some micro fractures on the face.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Cyrezar posted:

I don't understand the Mercedes (CL 600?) wheels. I mean why go out of your way to have another manufacturer's wheels on your car? Then again you VW people always confuse me so much

Because they look ballin...

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

From my most recent track day.

Highlight of the day was running down and passing a spec racer. I can only imagine how ridiculous it must have looked to see a 4200lb station wagon behind a 1670lb race car. Also had a few fun laps running an exige cup before we hit traffic.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

DogDodger posted:

Where was this?

NJMP Lightning with SCDA

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

kill me now posted:

NJMP Lightning with SCDA

Now with video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

c355n4 posted:

Ah, I know the guy who owns those ESRs! I'd recognize his bright yellow cars anywhere. Entropy Racing - http://entropyracing.net/

Really nice guy. He helped me when I stuffed my subaru into an embankment at BeaveRun.

Yeah, they're a staple of Northeast track day rental rides. There was another organization that had a prepped GT-R and a pair of nascar (one cup car and one craftsman truck) rental rides too. SCDA also brought down a few of thier spec miata rentals too. I've though about renting a race car for an hpde day, but I just cant stomach how screwed I would be in if I crashed it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

c355n4 posted:

Race competition school I attended at Lime Rock Park. Those are rental cars driven by students in the school. They're rented from a race shop.

Looks like Entropy racing's Sports racer cars.

They are super quick in the corner and comically slow on the straights.

At 32s in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo&hd=1

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I traded my SRT8 wagon in

because it weighed approximately the same as a moon

To replace it i picked up at 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with around 6k miles on it.

I will need to get new plates at some point because this just doesn't make sense anymore

I really like all the features the grand sport has over a regular coupe. I had been considering a slightly older Z06 for around the same price, but since the grand sport still came with a dry sump oil system, the 6pot front brakes and the wide bodywork i felt that it was worth it to have the targa top for cruising around during the summer. The FAVE HUNNIT HORSEPOWA would have been nice but I think I can deal with a 3.9s 0-60 and 190+ top speed.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Front plate is tucked behind the passengers seat. I'm not putting it on until I've gotten a ticket for no front plate.

I didn't do much to demod it. I had sold the track wheels last winter and I returned the ecu to the stock tune. It was still sitting on coilovers and the other suspension work as well as the loud exhaust, intake, and cooling mods. I really didn't have that much done to it, at least not much I could easily part out and sell easily.

I sell cars for a living so I went in to that dealership armed with the Galves and Manheim values of both cars as well as the full history of the vette, so I told them what I expected them to be able to do. I didn't go in trying to completely steal the car from them as I know they need to make a few bucks on the sale, but I got a nice deal on it as well as my trade and am very happy with everything.

I pulled the fuse for the dual mode exhaust so that the butterfly valve is open all the time. The car sounds dirty :q:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

nutnmunch posted:

Do you mind sharing what you talked the Vette's price down to? I'm kind of in the market to do something stupid and I'd like to know what's possible if you're patient right now (especially with the C7 a month away).

Galves on this one was something like $42,750 and I got it for $44,000 with a new set of tires on it and it was certified so there is another 12k/1yr tacked on to both the powertrain and bumper to bumper warranty.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

IOwnCalculus posted:

How much is different between the GS and the Z51, aside from the wider bodywork and dry sump on the LS3?

The GS has over the old Z51
Z06 style body work
Z06 sized wheels/tires
Z06 14" 6 pot front/13" 4 pot rear brakes
Hand Built LS3 (at the same location that the LS7/LS9/LSA motors are built)
Dry sump oil system
LS3 specific close ratio 6spd transmission
Magnetic ride control suspension
Launch control

The GS is a pretty big upgrade over the old Z51 package especially for a car thats going to see some track time. That said I could definitely see myself upgrading to a set of stoptechs for the brakes down the road because I hear these calipers are an expensive pain in the dick with their padlet setup

davebo posted:

For some reason I thought the C6 Z06 did have the targa top. That car is amazing so congrats. I just assumed you tracked the wagon because it was an only vehicle. Is that correct or was that your fun car, and if not, how will having a Corvette as an only car affect your lifestyle if at all? Will you ever be one of those awesome guys with a trailer hitch on their vette hauling stuff around, or did you realize you simply didn't need all the space the wagon provided?

I had the SRT8 as an only car and tracked it because it was fun to have something different and to be honest it was still a bit of a monster on the track when I was on slicks and race pads.

I live less then a block away from my job and live in a nice tight knit suburban community with a great downtown area thats within walking distance from my co-op, so I don't really need a practical daily driver. I'm also single with no children so only having 2 seats isnt going to be much of a problem. I can still fit my hockey bag and sticks easily in the rear hatch of the vette and short of picking up furnature or other very large items I dont see the vettes size as a problem.

If I ever need to move large things around I'll just go to Home Depot and rent a pickup or van for a few hours or rent an SUV from a rental place for a day.

Depending on how much time and money I have available to devote to track days I may or may not go the hitch route for a small tire/tool trailer. Thats probably a year or more off even in the best case senario as I'm gonna ease into track days with this car. It will be street tires at the track for the time being.

kimbo305 posted:

On the GS, you can even option out of the drysump. I hear it's better after they increased the oil capacity, but Z06s still having oiling problems on track and stickier tires.

It wouldn't hurt from it. At Bondurant, the trainers were GS and I never heard a peep from the targa top, which seemed extremely securely clamped.
I bet it was an image thing to not offer it on the Z06, not weight or stiffness.

With the dry sump in the GS if you have the automatic transmission you dont get it, if you have the manual you do. If you're running really sticky tires and aero (the level you need to be at for the dry sump to not be adequate) you can always upgrade the pumps in the sump system, but at least the ground work is there so you arent dropping $7k on a full dry sump system.

The Z06 doesnt have a targa top because it has an aluminum chassis, the GS and Coupe have a steel chassis. Chevy felt that the AL frame wouldnt deal with the targa top as well so they didn't put that on the Z06 or ZR1.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Yeah my dad has a 07 C6 coupe and I loved when I occasionally got a chance to drive it during the summer with the targa top off. It was one of the big reasons I went for a GS over a Z because I'm sure I could have gotten a z06 that was a few years older with a few more miles for the same money.

If I was buying a pure track day/race car I would have gotten a z06 but this is my daily driver, summer fun car and track day car all rolled into one so its about more then just being the absolute fastest option.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

More artsy fartsy corvette pictures!

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 10, 2013

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

its a grand sport

and as far as supervettes goes, some of their stuff is ok, some is :barf:.

example:
http://www.supervettes.com/zr6x-extreme-hood-with-vent-for-c6-z06-grand-sport.html

kill me now fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 10, 2013

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

dangerz posted:

Traded my jeep in for an '03 z06.

Still getting used to it. Used to have a base 2000 Vette. I didn't think the difference would be enough to notice, but it definitely is.

Thats a nice change of pace. How many miles on your Z?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

b0nes posted:

You have to admit that's kind of weird. "Well we don't think our car parts will line up exactly so here are nubs so you can adjust the body panels so that they fit exactly how you want."

its more stuff that quality control Bob on the assembly line is supposed to adjust before they boot the car out the door to the consumer. Not you.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

ApathyGifted posted:

This was delivered to me today:

I'd make a comment but all I've been able to do so far is drool and giggle.

am i seeing things or is there some sort plastic thing on the top of the roll hoop?

also seconding the more vettes for the vette gods! :black101:
whats that like 9 or 10 in AI now?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Larrymer posted:

Antenna I'm guessing.

Hmm, upon more research apparently on the 2005 c6 they put the XM antenna on the hoop like that. I was thrown off because from 06 on its hidden in one of the side mirrors. :ms:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I've posted this before, but I'm really starting to fall in love with this thing as the weather warms up.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

shodanjr_gr posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd appreciate a 500+ HP monster. My point is that there i'd have no place to actually enjoy the drat thing in the middle of Long Island (or any of the other places I've lived at recently).

They have on ramps all over long island and up until the hurricane closed half of it there was always ocean parkway if you really wanted to wring your motor out.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

kimbo305 posted:

Winter tires in Corvette sizes is an expensive proposition. I know Michelin has some put out some really nice ones, but it's not exactly cost effective. And some would argue that a 300+ wide tire will have problems on slush regardless of how good the compound is.

a '98 vette is definitely not running on 300+ width tires. Stock they run like 245F/275R.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

meatpimp posted:

1) It either wasn't an E30 M3, or the BMW driver didn't know your buddy was "racing."

As cool as they are E30 M3's are not in any way shape or form fast in a straight line.

Hate to bench race but according to https://www.zeroto60times.com

1987 BMW M3 0-60 mph 8.0 Quarter mile 16.1

vs

1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours 0-60 mph 7.2 Quarter mile 15.2
1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours 0-60 mph 6.8 Quarter mile 14.9

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Carteret posted:

I think that guy is also responsible for the Genesis Coupes.

I don't think thats the case.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Dizman posted:

That's true, but they still differentiated it with the body style vs the fender vents on the C6. Granted the fenders on each side are roughly an inch and a half wider on the GS/Z06/ZR1 over the base/convertible and a few aero pieces, but to the untrained eye the only thing different is the fender vents. The C5 had a pretty drastic difference that completely set it apart, and that's what I like.

are you seriously trying to say that the c5z is more of a noticable departure from the c5 coupe than the C6z/GS/ZR1 in comparison to the c6 coupe? The widebody is much more noticable to the untrained eye.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

It may not be the best deal in the world but he got a brand new car with the full warranty (his pre-owned Hyundai wouldn’t have had the full 10yr/100k warranty (doesn't transfer to a second owner) only the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper one) and was able to lower his apr by a significant amount. Also as he said the 2013 is a much improved car over the 2010, it’s a completely different generation of Elantra. With the way the two Korean brands have been updating their lineups a few years really can make a big difference in customer satisfaction.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Larrymer posted:

No poo poo? That's how they have such a good warranty claim then. I doubt most people even keep the car that long.

Well, you still have the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper and if you get it CPO'd you can regain the 10/100 powertrain for a second owner. Its still a great warranty program and far better than most other brands.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I picked up a 2014 Optima SX turbo in december and finally got around to putting a set of lowering springs and 20mm spacers on it. Much happier with the look of the car and feel like this is the way it should have come from the factory. (it cost ~$600 installed)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

The Midniter posted:

That looks excellent. Not too expensive, either. Did it change the ride, that you've noticed?

Its a little firmer but still comfortable. I'm sure it will eventually kill the struts but I don't do all that many miles a year. Its still softer than my vette or lowered SRT8 magnum were so its worth it to me for the look. I'm going to have to get used to dodging potholes more aggressively and angling up and down driveways again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

blk posted:

That's what happens when you take design talent like Schreyer and tell them to make something other than different sizes of the same car.

Apparently he has been pushing to get the gt4 stinger concept made into a production car but its been shelved by corporate hq at this point.