Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Well now y'all got me worried. Just took delivery of a 3 sGT yesterday.

Also, there's an annoying rattle that I think is because the driver's side door fits too closely with the dash cowl, and music played at any kind of volume with any bass (and I'm 41, it's not like I'm cranking out dubstep) is insanely annoying, with a kind of vibration / resonance / rattle noise. Anyone else have this? Can / will the dealer do anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

overdesigned posted:

Hi 3 sGT buddy :D

I'd at least call them and see. It's a new car, they ought to at least try.
Sup! Manual transmission for you too?

Alighieri posted:

I got it too, but it goes away when it gets warmer outside, typically shows up when cold out. From what I can tell its the inner seal since there is no leak when raining. Just been too apathetic to take it in, will mention it when my next maintence is, which is 5 months or 1500 miles according to the computer.

I love my little car.

You got the hatchback right?
Hatch was a requirement -- need something to haul my bikes around since I'm irrationally scared of my bike falling off of a roof rack or rear rack, no matter how safe I know them to be. Up until this car, my bike was my most expensive form of transportation and I just feel much safer hauling it around inside the car rather than outside.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I'm about ready for my first tank of gas in my 4 day old Mazda3 2.5L. The manual says 87 octane but the engine runs at a pretty high compression - is it worth putting 89 / 91 in there?

(Possibly complicating the matter is that I live in the Denver area, and I guess due to the high elevation engines need less octane or something? Instead of 87 / 91, gas stations have 85 / 89. Also, it's virtually impossible to find non-Ethanol here. Should I put in the effort to locate some non-alcohol gas?)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The CX5 is based on the Mazda 3 platform and will feel similar in size. The CX3 is based on the subcompact Mazda 2 platform and is tiny. I'm sure I can fit more cargo in my Mazda 3 hatchback than in a CX3. Likewise with passengers; 5 people would almost certainly be less comfortable in the CX3 than a Mazda 3.

If hauling people or stuff around is a concern at all I'd go with the CX5.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 3, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

2016 Mazda 3 sGT. Back up camera is glitchy, image rolls and is like 2-3 fps and staticky. Latest infotainment software version.

I'm gonna have to take it in, aren't I?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone with a '14-'17 3 who has replaced the tires, how long did those poo poo-rear end Dunlops last you? I'm at 16k miles on my 16 sGT and they're more than half worn. Not that I'll miss them much -- their ratings on TireRack are accurate and depressing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wibla posted:

And people whine about the automatic transmission... I didn't want an automatic before I got my 2015 Mazda3 2.2d, now I don't want a manual in a daily driver ever again.

Some people like to drive, others like to simply steer :colbert:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

2016 3s GT. Love my car, just wish it had a little more oomph. Is something like this legit? How does it actually work as far as what I need to do?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

On a scale from "probably not" to "lol no", what are the chances of a Speed3 announcement?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dammit, I just really want the turbo and manual transmission in the 3. Do you know how hard it is to find a hatchback with decent engine and manual transmission? The Hyundai Veloster Turbo looks like I'm trying to relive my 20s (irl 43), the Focus just feels 1-2 generations behind Mazda in their infotainment system and overall has nowhere as nice of driving experience.

My 2016 S GT with the 2.5 is nice and all but another 50, 60 hp would really suit this car.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Corksport is developing a full turbo system for the current 3 and 6.

For the 2.5 as well? I think that OrangeVirus guy was doing a turbo for the 2.0 but thought I was out of luck with the 2.5

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the link!

*read*

Oh the article is from 7+ months ago and no update since? Welp.

I won't hold my breath and then it'll be a nice surprise if/when it comes out.

I do appreciate the info though. Something to keep an eye out for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

I honestly don't even remember if a manual on the 2.5 was even an option or if it was automatic only for the Mazda3. Can the standard handle that much extra power?

Are you referring to the current gen? The manual transmission is offered with both engines (I have the 2.5 and a stick) but iirc I had to get the Grand Touring option package to get that combo.

If you're asking about the previous gen / Speed3 I don't know.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dogeh posted:

Yeah - I just bought a 3S GT...
:negative:

If I'd waited...

Eh, you don't really want the first year of a new model anyway. Always seems to be some quirks that they don't solve until year 2 of that model.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

2016 3s GT. About half the time, the car gps doesn't work and just gives me the compass and says I haven't purchased gps. I've tried removing and reinserting the SD card but other than that I'm at a loss. Also, I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm gonna have to make the trek to a dealership aren't I? Related: if I do the Android Auto upgrade at the dealership does that replace whatever module might be defective and I can kill two birds with one stone?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

After 31k miles the garbage Dunlops on my '16 3s GT were about shot. Looking at Tire Rack, the General AS-05s seemed like the best bang for the buck. Got them put on this morning and they're definitely quieter than the Dunlops. Not sure about snow / ice traction which the Dunlops rate terribly on but I never had a huge problem with. Headed skiing next week so hopefully I'll be able to update about that. Mainly happy with the road noise reduction -- those OEM Dunlops were by far the loudest tires I've ever driven on.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It's a tough one. Heated seats are amazing if you live somewhere where it gets legit cold in winter. Does the '14 have the upgraded stereo? That would probably tip the scales for me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I've had a replacement cabin air filter sitting in a box for probably almost a year... But it's just so hot outside. :piaa:

Takes literally 30 seconds to replace in a gen 3. Maybe 45 seconds if you've never done it before.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It'll go away in another 50-hundred miles or so

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AirRaid posted:

I did the thing!

2016, 2.0 Sport Black with all the toys.

Purty!

Lord Stimperor posted:

We'll be getting a new Mazda 3 by the end of the year. It'll be Soul Red, and I hear bad things about that paint in particular. Is there some accepted best practice on what to do with it? Like, are protective films recommended/must haves for these cars? Can they be machine washed?

I have a 2016 Soul Red and it has a few chips. I do touchless car washes and they seem fine but I don't know from films or anything to do to protect it. It's not too bad overall, just 2-3 small 1 mm chips on the hood.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

"four door coupe styling"

So, a sedan?

E: rwd? I'd be truly curious in seeing the sales numbers of rwd sedans vs fwd/awd. I assume the vast majority of people live in states where it snows sometimes. Hell, I'd be interested in this car but rwd kills it for me in Colorado.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 2, 2019

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

Do the NA 2.5 skyactiv motors get any benefit from running a higher octane fuel? I just put my first tank of gas in the 6 and was curious.

Really digging this boring dad car.

I'm high altitude which skews things a bit - octane ratings are 2 lower than at sea level (we have 85, 87, and 89 available). Googling it says that running the lower octane is equivalent to the higher sea level equivalent. So, I feel like in my 2016 3s GT I get about 1-1.5 mpg better with the mid-grade. I drive the same 150 mile round trip 1-2 times per week so in theory it should be very replicable. And it's about 37.5 mpg with 85 and 39ish with 87. (Note that fuel economy is also higher at high altitude. But you lose about 22% of your horsepower at 6500 feet).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I have a decent sized dog who likes to slobber when we are in the car driving. '16 Mazda 3 hatch, I can find rubber cargo mats but can't seem to track down rubber mats for the back of the rear seats when they're folded down. Any ideas?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

I've had the facelift version since 2016 and it's been a fantastic car so far. I've had three issues - first was the nav stopped reading the SD card (fixed with an update), second was the reverse camera got distorted and eventually stopped working because of a corroded connection in the tailgate wiring and the third is the clear coat has started flaking off the wheels (I think this is only a problem on the darker finish wheels on the later cars)

The biggest criticism I have is it has lots of tyre noise on coarse chip road surfaces (which is the majority of roads in New Zealand). Apparently different tyres improve things but I'm still on the originals.

It'll never be the quietest of cars but yeah the OEM tires are terrible. By far the loudest and fastest wearing tires I've ever used. Dunno if you have them in NZ but the General Max AS-05 tires are much quieter and a good upgrade in rain and snow.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

got off on a technicality posted:

Are there any good power mods for the 2.5? I thought I'd get used to the engine but it turns out I've been spoiled by modern turbo 4s. I'd be happy with another 20-30hp

Same, and no. There's been an aftermarket turbo in the works and it should come out sometime between a working fusion reactor and widespread availability of graphene.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

2016 3, I have a long commute and the little chips on the hood from rocks and such are getting noticeable to me, little nicks where the paint is just gone. I feel like any touch up paint will be very noticeable on soul red, do I just put some clear nail acrylic on the nicks so they don't spread or rust?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Also happened to my camera, I don't remember if it was fixed under warranty or if a software update fixed it but might be worth getting the software updated at the dealership

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

At 34k I was so-so on that deal but 29k is a great price

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Arrange a test drive at your nearest Tesla showroom (ie, closest city > 500,000 people)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I don't think I have that on my 2016 3 and it has every option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Look for a highly rated independent repair shop in your area and have them take a look. Even if they agree with the assessment, a new axle from them will be exponentially cheaper than from the dealership.