Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Kumi came to a realization this chapter about Ippo's views towards boxing.

I assumed she was asking partially to see how deep his analysis was going to be. Watching him geek out about boxing like that (again) is likely to hint that she will eventually accept boxing as his One True Love and bless his unretirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Can't tell if we're heading towards a dark passenger / Jojo setup or something internal being unleashed like a 9 tail demon fox 🦊

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah that dude said the wrong thing :ohno:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel bad for the one thug in the back that didnt get the chance to say “uhhh I don’t know if we should do that” before he got glory killed

Hey do you guys hear that?

Is somebody playing industrial music on their phone or something?

ohfuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ&t=62s

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Coral head threatens to shoot kumi so Mashiba kills him in the ring

Kinda already did that with Sawamura trying to punch her to get Ippo fired up, who eventually gets retired by Mashiba.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Mashiba lost that fight because he got dq'd for too much fouling (kind of arbitrary since they were both fouling like crazy) and sawamura retired because he went for a bike ride with a concussion, Mashiba is gonna kill this man, he's gonna punch his head so hard his hair turns normal

I coulda swore he was the one who got in a bike crash, but I didn't see it mentioned skimming over his wiki entry. Don't remember them stopping that fight either but it's been decades since I've seen the middle chapters of Ippo so that isn't surprising. Everything from Hawk to a couple of years ago is a blur.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I think my only gripe is that Ippo really gets no clear solid wins to speak of, outside of his literal first fight. Even ones I barely remembered (like that guy at Date's gym) almost beat Ippo before he barely pulls off a win.

Heh, in my most recent re-read attempt I noticed the opposite: I was surprised at how may fights he (at least in retrospect) won pretty handily. Date's #2 is one that I specifically noted as being a clean win since Ippo, despite taking some hits, pretty thoroughly wrecks his poo poo and gets the KO in round 1 of a 10 round fight.

GateOfD posted:

would not be surprised at all if they call upon Ippo as the closest thing they could find as a sparring partner, and to 'help out as best as he can', he just starts sparring south paw, and it's another bag of tricks Retired Ippo managed to train up from his coaching exp. and actually able to push Mashiba with it.

Not sure how it would work out with his own fight prep, but Sendo is already left handed... Maybe if something about Mashiba would help him prep for Ricardo?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just started this anime last week and so far it’s really entertaining, informative about boxing in a way that keeps me interested, and genuinely inspiring at times.

Great stuff so far. I’m in the middle of Ippo’s rematch with Miyata.

I plan on finishing at least this original run of the anime.

The original 2 seasons are an all-time sports anime IMO, and the following 2 movies and further season are all very good as well. Ironically it may be a good thing that the anime never got to the really weak stuff in the manga, it died before it could see itself become the villain.

Also this guy does fighting reaction/analysis videos and has covered just about everything in HnI, it can be a good way to rewatch specific fights and it turns out the show is surprisingly realistic in depicting how fighting/coaching actually happens IRL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTFjhzsc_xI

Supremezero posted:

Other authors: "Oh, Miura died... Uh... maybe we should get poo poo done?"

Morikawa: "WE GOING FOREVER BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

I just hope he's got good notes in case, well, yeah.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

they should make a spinoff on ippo's former bully, not friend who's now a manga artist.
or aoki's ramen job

There's already a manga about struggling mangaka, but a Yakitate!!-style slice of life gag manga about the ramen/flower shop could work as a spin off.

Spin off of Takamura's "world travels" in-between his fights

It is super weird that these are still a complete mystery to us. I'm sure they started out just as a way to get Takamura out of the picture for a while so the focus could be on other characters, otherwise every boxing dilemma they had would be solved with a Marvel-style 'why don't they just call the Avengers'.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Takao Saito wrote Golgo 13 for more than 50 years. It took COVID for it to take the first break in publication after 52 years of being published. The author actively made plans to have it continue after his death and reach the ending he had planned, because he wasn't going to speed it up but believed the work to be bigger than him. It has the most volumes of any manga....ever.

And yet I feel like outside some incredibly niche communities it never gets brought up. It's kind of wild.

Golgo 13 is my go-to when someone mentions longest continually running manga. I've never really sat down and read it, seen a few of the movies and the series way back when. It's pretty much James Bond but instead of a spy he's a sniper assassin, right?

The other thing I remember (or just can't forget) is that some fans are so obsessive they catalogue literally everything about the plot, including maintaining a spreadsheet of all the times Golgo hosed, timestamps, what positions were used etc...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

They'll do a stage show

Curious how that works. During fights do the actors just freeze frame and deliver thoughts/inner monologues into hidden lapel mikes?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did wonder how they would do microphones with the actors being shirtless, guess I was overthinking things.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Any return to the ring must involve some squashes to sell his immense increase in knowledge and tactics.

:yeah:
He just casually open-palm parried the White Fang, his return match should be a complete jobber. Just gets completely underestimated and dismissed as a washed up has-been and then :gibs:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Itagaki still at KBG? They wouldn't be able to have a ranked match. Now if they were to work up some big official sparring match like Ippo V Miyata 1 and 2...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

lol, Ippos gonna be able to box just as well southpaw as regular and can adjust on what will do best against the other boxer when he fights again.

Surprise! You've been SSJ ambidextrous this whole time!!

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo recreating my childhood experience of hitting a rubber object (basketball for me) with a metal club (baseball bat for me) and having it bounce off and smack me in the face. Only in my case it gave me a giant black eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXSg8Gy4MI

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

"Randy Boy Jr" lol I can never get over this, it's such a funny name

It's the Jr that makes it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

He's doing it so he can "help" Majima just like he did Vorg.

Expecting his 'boxing sense' to move forward quite a bit during the spars, because you KNOW Mashiba won't have any issues going at him 100% right from the start.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Think there will be at least one chapter with him getting his rear end beat from nerves and trying to fight left handed or will he take the weights off and automatically go SSJ2?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scallop Eyes posted:

Has the manga ever said how much they actually weight, or if Ippo increases them from time to time?

I vaguely remember someone picking them up once and being surprised at how heavy they were, but that could also be bleedover from some other anime weight training thing. Something slightly more subtle than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKda4d9pKw

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just literally do the Rock Lee scene but boxing :swoon:

Good soup! posted:

"That's my line."

lol good chapter

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was (IIRC) a low-high combo designed to expose Mashiba's weak jaw. What Ippo did here looked more like a pair of body hooks. I thought he was going to start into Dempsy for a second but I guess it was just the 2 hits for now?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Morikawa you bastard

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I thought Itagaki had the hots for Kumi as well?

I have 0 recollection of that :stare: Didn't his sister take a run at Ippo at one point though?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aokimura-san is a loving ice cold drop. She doesn't even bother to differentiate them :negative:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If Ippo is now set in the modern age there needs to be a Takamura get cancelled arc

HnI in #metoo era would be Takamura in actual jail for multiple sexual assaults on Ippo and Sendo alone.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

When did Ippo world have internet.
Remember when he previewed intel from his upcoming opponents from VHS tape copies of their previous matches

I only remember them EVER trading fight footage that way, somebody shows up with a shopping bag full of cassettes. That's why people are commenting on the Suddenly Smartphone world they seem to inhabit. I guess if they wanted to they could handwave it away as pro boxers being too busy/poor to keep up with technology so it makes sense to see it first from a teen like Itagaki.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not a single missing apostrophe or your/you're typo, it's like Morikawa has never even seen social media :rolleyes:

Also that one thweet with all the emojis was giving me flashbacks to those horny daddy posts :whitewater:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Exercu posted:

also he keeps turning away and tapping away, lmao.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First smartphones and social media, now he's catching up on 20 years of memes:

How long until we get a miniarc about Takamura gambling on his own matches with the cryptocurrency Wanpocoin?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bisse posted:

Can't believe all you posters hating on functionally retarded dick jokes.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GateOfD posted:

Hot take: I hate the dick jokes

Hating the great king's dick jokes every day. The world will surely be shooketh.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

Ippos dick is funny but takemuras isnt

Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide › Hajime no Ippo: They're all jealous of Ippo's enormous hog

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kunabomber posted:

Coral reef head's coach: "He brought a pistol to the ring, but..."

*Panel shows Mashiba's flickers juxtaposed with a dragunov*

"...he brought a SNIPER RIFLE!!!"

Holy crap I can see this panel in my mind. Shounen anime sports analogies have poisoned my brain.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No weapon, but his pistol shrimp jab technique 'Magnum' was still classified as a firearm. Have fun spending the next 10 years in a Japanese prison! :flip:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Did he change the hair because of the complaints?

Would imagine that's just what it looks like when it's not... styled? however it normally is. Like instead of corn rows he makes hay bales :confused:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KidDynamite posted:

hey is mashiba giving death flags? i'm a little concerned for the guy.

Probably not, if anyone is getting fridged in the ring to spur Ippo on it would be Sendo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grit

step
step

swish
swish
swish

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Morikawa said something like a year ago to the effect that the ending is already planned out and that he wants to finish it while he still can.

Wonder if he did a One Piece and the final page has been sitting in a drawer for decades under lock and key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another quality chapter. Getting them week to week is rough, but fights like this are a lot of fun in a re-read.

Boco_T posted:

got mom's spaghetti on page 10

That has to be intentional :psyduck: