Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

The almost physical recognition of ghost Ippo made this even weirder. I thought it was meant to be purely symbolic, but Woli is all WHAT WAS THAT.

Ugh.

(yes, I know what Woli meant, but the wording/setting of it all is just too weird for this manga)

I just don't even know what the gently caress. If I had to guess, I'd say that they're going to explain it as Ippo intimidating Woli somehow. Which doesn't make any sense. But Morikawa has written himself into this corner where nothing satisfying can explain this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

Judging by the organ close-ups, though, it seems like Ippo did some serious doctor-like precision-blows like we've seen before :v: I can't recall the blows off the top of my head (image joints blocked at work yet not Somethingawful? :psyduck:), but I remember one in particular definitely hit him in the liver-type-region. Even if he was unconsciously doing corkscrew blows, they shouldn't do any real damage given the force he had behind 'em.

I hope after this fight Ippo goes through a "makeover" where he suddenly puts on glasses and does that thing where he pushes them up the bridge of his nose.

Really, none of the possible explanations for this make sense:

Intimidation - it's not like you can become intimidated without realizing it, so this makes no sense at all

Body blows doing something - hahahaha no. Ippo isn't smart enough to do weird doctor poo poo like Sanada, and it's too weird even for this manga to have blows that don't cause pain do actual damage

Woli having low endurance - doesn't make any sense, it's not like endurance is something where you suddenly have energy one minute and don't the next, without realizing it. Woli would have been able to anticipate it

That just leaves Woli having some legitimate issue with his foot, which while supremely unsatisfying, at least is *possible.* Though even then it doesn't make sense, because it seems like Woli would have noticed more, and nothing in the match should have caused it.

Who knows, though. I have a bad feeling they'll somehow make those body blows mean something. Why else would Morikawa have focused on them so much?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Miyata has lightspeed knuckles, so Ippo gets accupressure fists; he hits one area of the body to affect another.

It's just dumb enough to be true, and it scares me.

The reason why his faster than sound punch didn't bother me as much is that I could easily rationalize it away as just being an exaggeration, and that in reality he just punched really fast. (I know it probably wasn't intended to be just an exaggeration, it's just easy to imagine it that way)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

Couldn't get a good feel for what was new about the Dempsey Roll 3.0. I guess it's just that his ligaments/joints can handle the strain now? Or was it mostly sealed strictly BECAUSE of that? ie: long-term usage would yield permanent damage.

The sad part is that if Ippo pulled that out when they were both at full strength, the match might have ended a bit sooner. Woli getting clocked here isn't really due to his fatigue, I don't think.

At full strength I don't think it would have been possible for Ippo to ever land a punch on Woli, dempsey or otherwise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Forest Fuckery posted:

This thing is weirdly infuriating.
It seems that the general message is "Karate is superior and if you do something else there's something very wrong with you"
Every other kind of martial arts is useless, and if you know Brazilian jujitsu you must be a gay rapist.

And they still recruit the rapist wtf

I don't really get this impression...they don't seem to treat other martial arts like they suck; it's more that they act like Mutou is just a total badass. I think they even mentioned at one point that you can't just use karate, since if you didn't learn something else you've be useless when fighting on the ground. I mean, yeah, karate will obviously win in the end because the main character(s) do it, but they don't act like other martial arts suck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

:smith: Why do I have this odd feeling that it won't be the last...?

The next fight will be another jungle boy like Woli, only he'll be some friend of Woli's and point out that "actually, everyone in our jungle village is at least as strong as Woli...Woli was just average :smug:"

Seriously though, I am very curious as to what the next fight will be. I'm hoping it isn't a Miyata fight, since I really don't like Miyata fights. Despite the shittiness of Ippo's recent fights, I feel like there's even less to expect out of Miyata fights. I mean, he's already faster than the speed of sound. (Speaking of which, when he made that "supersonic" punch did they also mention a sonic boom "crack"? I don't remember, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Raws out.

Holy gently caress everyone looks so thin. What the gently caress is going on with this manga, I don't even know.

Occasionally Morikawa remembers that Ippo and his opponents are fighting in the featherweight class and stops drawing them as being buff.

The only way Ippo could look as buff as he does and still be featherweight is if he's like 5 feet tall.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

frabba posted:

Ok, I am really hating this starvin marvin art style for this fight. Alot. I liked it more when they all looked like heavyweights :-(

Haha, I'm the opposite. It always weirded me out seeing these guys that are supposed to weigh like 125lb looking like bodybuilders. Unless they're like 5 feet tall it doesn't really make much sense. So the look they have in these recent chapters is a lot more realistic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet that the way he'll finish this fight faster than Ippo did (remember his time goal?) is by traveling back in time to the first round due to his speed. Also he'll show up behind Karasawa and win by slamming his dick into his rear end so fast that he teleports through Karasawa's body, causing it to explode in a shower of blood. The audience is left speechless as Itagaki does back-flips in the pool of blood.

To be honest, Ippo has, for the most part, always had pretty absurd fights. A lot of the time he'd do the Power Rangers-ish "get my rear end kicked until I'm nearly dead, and *then* use my hidden special skill." Was still 100x better than what we've been seeing lately though. Had an actual plot that progressed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Really, moving so fast that one guy can't keep up is one thing. He could just be staying behind his opponent.

Actually, even that is completely unbelievable. Unless the opponent is the slowest man on Earth, no one should be able to run in circles faster than someone can rotate in one spot, especially in boxing. Even Woli didn't disappear, right? He would just move to Ippo's side really fast and move/dodge too fast for him to react properly. But he could at least see him. Karasawa, however, could not only not see him, but Karasawa himself is even supposed to be a boxer known for being fast.

But yeah, the audience not seeing him does take it to a completely different level.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Seriously? We have to do this "Ippo is weaker" poo poo again? Wasn't the point in all the jerking around beating up the various dirty asian stereotypes to get him ready?

I think that Ippo being like "ah yeah I guess" in response to Sendo getting all motivated post-fight was supposed to indicate that Ippo has lost his ambition or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The weird racial eugenics stuff in Japanese sports manga never gets old. Mexican fighters have longer jabs! (or whatever strange generalization they were making).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's going to be kind of silly if (read: when) Ippo beats this guy. Ippo has been struggling with folks fighting him for the Japanese belt, and this guy is #2 in the world. A the very least they could have had him fight someone else in the top 10 first. It's probably the first time that the comic might be trying to move too fast. I think that it's possible Morikawa might be finally starting to look towards ending the comic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At least he's cutting to the case with respect to getting this fight started. I was expecting a lot more chapters before the match actually occurred.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm going to echo the people who are happy that Itagaki apparently loses. Being a little cocky is fine, but he's been pretty obnoxious about it.. Also, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Ippo loses this, though it's also possible that he'll come to some realization in the middle of the fight and make a turn-around because of it. Regardless, he'll definitely be losing for a while until he overcomes his lack of motivation, since they've been hinting at it being an issue a whole bunch the last few chapters.

Have they mentioned whether folks like Sendo are also going to be fighting for world titles? As potentially interesting as Sendo v. Itagaki would be, it makes more sense for him to follow in Ippo's footsteps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

onepixeljumpman posted:

I have to give it to Mori for making Kyosuke look scary intense when he inner monologues about what he's doing and is going to do to Itagaki. There's something I really like about his cold stare and bloodied mouth while he goes "Weeaaaak," to say nothing of his reflection in Itagaki's eye. I think it might be because he's gotten in good, but he's looks like he's also enjoying how thoroughly he's breaking him. His giant rear end eyebrows help.

I wish that Ippo was more like Imai. He definitely needs to become a lot more aggressive, and I hope that the big change that it seems like the story is pointing towards (what with all the "Ippo has become weak" stuff) involves something like that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

4533josh posted:

I think it may have been Ippo's opening fight for the Takamura/Hawk WBC Junior Middleweight fight. I remember Ippo ending it very quickly and aggressively with the Dempsey roll and getting criticised by Kamogawa for it. :v:

Kamogawa is truly the weak link and Ippo has succeeded in spite of him, not because of him. Ippo needs to get himself a new coach.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really hope this doesn't have one of those "Even though you lost, the audience still thinks you're awesome!" endings. Itagaki deserves every bit of this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I actually like Itagaki, but this needs to happen. Itagaki to me is a Miyata who isn't boring as all hell. The dark and mysterious cliche is so old and played out, I sincerely hope Miyata just spontaneously combusts later on.

Miyata's career collapses and he starts abusing women and being an all-around terrible person. His feud with Ippo concludes with him trying to drunkenly start a fight with Ippo on the street and Ippo looking disappointed and walking away.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

1028 amd 29 raws are out. Itagaki is TKO in the first round. He then cries about it.

I wonder if this has any implications for Ippo's fight (that is, is it more or less likely that he'll win given that they've already had his gym-mate lose).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hortism posted:

Personally, I like the next page a lot too!

I agree, it's easily one of the best guy getting the absolute poo poo knocked out of him pages in the whole series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eustace posted:

In honor of Itagaki's defeat and in anticipation of tonight's historic boxing match I'd thought I'd post a little link that shows how a real life "out fighter" manage to survive even when trapped in a corner.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/13/4721072/Mayweather-vs-alvarez-technical-analysis-boxing-preview

Christ, it's inhuman how fast some of these guys are able to dodge/block punches. It's one of those rare situations where the comic seems to actually understate how fast/accurate people are in real life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is the first match of Ippo's in a really long time where I'm legitimately uncertain about how things will play out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

Please... pretty please. Let him show some drat growth rather than getting his face punched in for umpteen pages anew.

Given that his weakness was more or less foreshadowed, we're probably in for at least 7 or 8 chapters* of him getting dominated before he makes any sort of comeback.

*The really sad thing is that I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect in the slightest when I say this, and everyone else in this thread knows it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kave posted:

I think we're finally going to see Ippo get downed.

It's been so long.

A big difference I can see between this and most of Ippo's other matches is that there has been virtually zero positive foreshadowing for this match. As far as I can remember, they haven't talked at all about Ippo developing anything new (or fixing weaknesses, whatever) to help him with this match, so if he pulls something off it's going to have to be pretty much out of nowhere.

At the same time, I can't really see him making Ippo lose this match. Having the first fight after he decides to "take on the world" be a nonstarter doesn't seem like something that will happen, even if by all accounts it should happen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

Ippo battles through again, takes left after left, finally gets through it, takes down his opponent...

...Dies in the changing room from massive internal bleeding in the brain. Hajime No Ippo goes down as the longest mood whiplash series in history.

In his final fight against Martinez or Miyata he literally dies in the ring but his YAMATO-DAMASHII causes him to be resurrected for just long enough to finish the match.

edit: Sort of like the times he's fought while unconscious, except even more extreme.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

The problem is that Ippo is fighting a no-namer. I mean, in-universe he's the second best and whatever but in the manga itself he's just a Martinez-clone. I am sure we'll learn about his tragic backstory during the fight but, right now, Gonzales doesn't have a chance.

One thing to keep in mind is that I think Ippo can challenge Martinez in his next fight if he beats this guy (or at least sometime really soon after). I doubt he's going to have Ippo become world chamption just a couple fights after giving up his Japanese belt. It's a bit of an awkward situation, since if he beats this guy he should also be able to handle most other people who aren't Martinez, given that this guy is #2. (Then again, he had a ton of trouble with like 15 guys after getting the Japanese belt.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That picture is weirding me out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dante Logos posted:

I find it amazing that we are left guessing about what is going to happen. Which is great, I think.

Well, the problem is that we're guessing on the basis of "how is he going to reasonably proceed with this comic without it dragging on for ages (or finishing really soon)" rather than "I wonder how Ippo compares with Gonzales" (from what we've seen, Ippo should pretty clearly be inferior). Since I don't think they've discussed any sort of countermeasure for Ippo to use against him, it seems like they're going to have to pull something out of nowhere (if Ippo actually wins).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Ippo is usually inferior in technique but there hasn't really been anyone who could survive repeated body blows or clean, max-power shots to the head from him. I mean a point that's been hammered on almost every fight is that Ippo hits so hard he can flip a match with a single good punch.

Every fight minus Mr. One Punch has gone one of two ways:

1. Ippo gets an opening either through skill, luck, or making his opponent punch themselves out sandbagging him and caves their eye sockets in, flipping the match.

or

2. Ippo goes downstairs and pulverizes the ribs and liver of his opponent until they can't move, at which point he goes upstairs and caves their eye-sockets in.

The point I want the comic to make is that the strategies you mentioned simply shouldn't cut it on the "world stage." Ippo should be forced to step up his game such that he can fight a match sort of like Vorg's world championship bout (that is, something requiring actual strategy). Even in real life, world-class heavyweight in-fighters are extremely fast and have amazing technique and Ippo is featherweight IIRC.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ippo actually seems pretty competent in this new chapter. I'm liking that it's emphasizing his ability to weave around and avoid getting hit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I'm pretty darn ok with this myself. I'm really hoping this match just winds up being Ippo holding his own and then demolishing Gonzalez. There was all the talk of him getting weaker, and I just want the entire fight to be him disproving that.

I also like that Miyata isn't acting like a Sasuke-ish character and is flat out complimenting/talking positively about Ippo. Like, he doesn't seem to have any air of superiority about him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Ippo's samurai spirit causes him to literally transform into a samurai and he beheads Gonzalez. T.K.O. in the sixth round

He does a kamikaze attack and runs into Gonzalez and explodes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually like what happened in the most recent chapter. Ippo did the sort of thing to his opponent that we usually see opponents doing to Ippo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

It's impossible to beat a boxer that doesn't take any actual damage that is coached by a homicidally negligent old gently caress.

Yeah, it's pretty questionable how the possibility of serious injury from his style (and the fact that he's pushed to continue using it) isn't really addressed often. There was that one short-lived episode with Takamura's eye (that turned out to be fine) and I think they mentioned the risk of Ippo's style once or twice, but they never really forced him to change it. I was hoping that the whole point of this fight would be to show that Ippo can't get by without improving his own style, but "win with burning spirit" seems to be more of a trend in shounen and sports manga than "win with skill."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also it should be mentioned that said "burning spirit" is some intrinsically Japanese trait.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The last improvement I remember is Ippo realizing that there's a reason no one uses the Dempsey Roll anymore (that it isn't viable against really good boxers anymore).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Simoom posted:

I'm pretty sure he owns a boxing gym, and I really hope he dispenses some of his wisdom to amateurs.

Yeah, which is what makes Ippo's strategy so bizarre. It's not like Morikawa doesn't (theoretically) know about the actual sport.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guyver posted:

It's not really bizarre at all. The manga has been hammering at the point that no one boxes like Ippo anymore because it basically destroys the boxer like it did with Kamogawa and Nekota for a while now. Only reason that Ippo can do it is retard strength and a reserve of stamina that runs as deep as the plot needs it to be. It's supposed to be what makes Ippo special but after a while it's gotten a bit tedious.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like the manga is giving a negative overall impression of Ippo's boxing style, even if it does point out some of its problems. I'm not really seeing any condemnation of Kamogawa's training methods in the comic itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Breaky posted:

So up to Chapter 1058 is out and... :smith:

Are you serious? That would be almost as bad, if not even worse, than the way he won against Woli. It would be so easy to make these fights better; I don't understand how this guy - who apparently runs a boxing gym - isn't able to come up with something better than Ippo's recent fights.