Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What does code say about doorbell wire (max 24 volts)? Can it be run on the exterior of a house? Does it need to be run through conduit? It turns out the previous owners of my house cut the doorbell wire not just at the doorbell, which would make sense, but at the porch level, which means it would have to be refished in a very un-fish-friendly house.

as long as the cable's outdoor rated, it's fine. hard to find specifics about doorbells in the NEC, when it comes to low voltage, they're more concerned with fire alarms and signalling circuits. it'd be nice to protect that wire, obviously, but considering that the transformer secondary side usually is just sitting there on the panel with its terminals all exposed, i don't think it's an issue.

looking at your predicament, i think you're being given the 'i don't want to do this' price by your electrician. honestly i would do the same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

:kstare:

The antivax congressman from KY is proud of this abomination

e: the biggest problem here is that he appears to be using a 3-phase AC breaker to switch high current DC loads, which is a huge no-no because you need entirely different arc chute designs to quench DC. It's eventually going to blow up in his face when he tries to turn it off, and never mind the total lack of enclosure.

it definitely looks like one bad break could kill the thing and possibly everyone near it. for solar-integrated home batteries, the most capacity right now is generac with 18kwh capacity and 9kwh continuous in a full (enclosed!) cabinet which you can get a couple of to up the capacity to 36kwh. i'm thinking theres a reason that even though we have these 70kwh+ batteries, we dont use them as permanent installations to power houses. there already aren't a ton of code requirements for these (some counties want you to build a fire-rated enclosure around the battery system though) and i'm not sure there will be until Something Bad happens.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As was gently suggested upthread, I've realized my electrician's proposal for replacing the doorbell wire was a hint at "I don't think this job is worth my time." (2 men, one day) This seems like a thing I can fix myself, with a tolerance for crawlspaces, spiders in my hair, and drilling poo poo.

I have one major question: How do I figure out which breaker the transformer is on? It's not like there's a socket I can plug a multitester into.

if your transformer is attached to the panel you can just take the cover off and see what circuit it's on. if you can't or don't want to do that, then maybe it was wired to the doorbell chime first and the doorbell switch is just a switch leg? as in, you have voltage at the chime and touching the two cut wires together would make it go. or simply get a dual range non contact volt detector, i think they're like 25 bucks? it'll go down to the 24v or 12v

i have the laser pointer one and it hasn't failed me. the flashlight ones have all failed me.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

In some cases the transformer is directly attached to the main panel box so you could just see the wires when the panel cover is off.

yeah in a case like this you would just follow the black lead from the transformer to see where it goes. in real life, it'll be high enough res that you can actually do this

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

Dumb quick question that I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" too -- for an EV Charger (Emporia), you cannot use SO cord to run into a junction box for a hard wired install, right? Must use conduit + THHN?

It looks like 3/4" or 1" EMT is the right size to fit into the gland that was previously for the pigtail cord, but it would save me a bit of Googling / digging up the right fittings if I could just run the whip into a junction box.

sure you can, SO is a hard service cord and thus follows 625.17 (A) (1). im assuming this thing has the "personnel protection device" at the attachment plug so that it can be more than 12 inches lol. in that case the cord can be 6-15 feet.

i have the NEC in front of me because i'm studying for more licensing!

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

Am I a dumbass or is there a reason why the Raco 862 is so expensive / out of stock everywhere? I just need a simple 1-gang Decora compatible metal cover for some single-gang handy boxes in my garage. Where else should I look? This feels like it should cost $0.50.

that's incredibly weird, huh. i can't begin to guess why this is out of stock with no real equivalents but i checked my 100 mile radius and there is nothing! slap on some Standards and wait i guess? unless you want to cut your own rectangle out of the 1 gang blank covers...

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

Oh, 100% -- just very confused why there still appear to be 10000s of the 2-gang covers, but for some reason the 1 gang is just completely gone. I don't think it's a weird application at all!

Maybe I should put the square boxes on the wall, but I feel like that'll look weird.

e: the switches will be a Caseta and a Pico remote, so I do need Decora-style faceplates, unfortunately.

you could always go to a 4x4 box and get a mulberry cover, there's plenty of those around. it is several dollars to the install instead of the 80 cents these plates normally are but hey, it'll be more space to work with the wire?

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Resolution to this: It was a loose connection in a junction box in the attic. Whoever wired this garage reno left about 2 inches of 12g wire in that box, so the connections are all under undue amounts of tension from wires being bent like crazy to make the connection. I threw a new wirenut on for now, but I wanna throw some pigtails in there to make things less dumb.

No backstabbed outlets in this room! Every other outlet in the house, yes.

But!!

The rear end in a top hat that did the reno literally did not leave enough wire in any of the outlet boxes to pull the outlets out. Like, even a millimeter. I honestly can't even figure how he installed them.

So, this thread is ok with wago lever connectors to fix poo poo like this, right? Because I still want to replace all these old, painted over outlets.

sucks! you can add another junction box in the attic to get proper length for better splices but there's really nothing to be done about short wires in the outlet boxes. wagos if you can, but in-line splice connectors might be easier

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

spf3million posted:

This is probably outside the scope of this thread but here goes.

I have a three gang switch in my house, the left and right switches activate two different lights and work fine, the middle one has never worked and there are two ceiling can lights that no other switches activate so I assume they are tied into the middle switch. Confirmed light bulbs are good.

I pulled the face plate and switches and couldn't figure out what was going on so I pulled the box and found this:

The left switch had wire A on the upper and D1 on the lower screw. No ground.
The middle switch had wire B on the upper and D2 on the lower screw. No ground.
The right switch had wire C on the upper and D3 (not shown off picture) on the lower screw, G on the ground screw
White wires F and E were nutted together inside the box not connected to any of the switches.

Using a multimeter, we measured the following voltages
120V across D-G
0V on all the rest to G
80V across D-F
120V across D-E
120V across A-D (working switch/circuit)
30V across B-D (this is the switch/circuit that doesn't work)
80V across C-D (working switch/circuit with a CFL)

Here is a photo of the can:

We measured continuity (steady at 0.00 ohms) from D to H. Mysteriously I measure close to zero volts across H-G even though D-G measures 120V. How can D be hot and be in continuity H while there is no voltage across H-G?

oh this one's hosed UP. i can't even start on your continuity and voltage mysteries mentally because of some severely low headcount of conductors entering that switch box! there should be 3 black, 3 white, and 1-3 green/bare ground. we've got a cloth-covered fella with no pair, one seeming black-white-ground cable and then....two unaccompanied black conductors. something ain't right in the wall immediately above the hole, for starters.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this, apologies if there's a better one. We bought a new house that has an electric stove in the main kitchen. We're planning on remodeling this kitchen at some point in the future and putting a gas (well, propane, technically) stove in its place, but until then, I want to improve it. It's a really old lovely electric stove, and all the burners work in a way that basically settings 1-7 might as well be off, 7 is low, 8 is medium, and 8.02 is blazing inferno sun, max possible temperature. All the burners are similar to this in some fashion, but not in the exact same spots.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this so that I have more than about 15 rotary degrees of travel between "can probably put your hand on it briefly without risk of burn" and "absolute max"? New burner elements? Something with the dials? I don't know poo poo about electric stoves and haven't been able to find the right search terms it would seem. I really just want some amount of meaningful heat control while cooking.

someone will know better, but electric stoves generally work by pulsing on and off. "max" is just constant current, 1 is "on for a little bit, off for a little longer" and every subsequent number some degree in between. if it's behaving like that, sounds like the control board, not the dial or elements

e: i mean it sounds like the control board either by fault or by design is doing this. can't hope to guarantee a swap would fix it

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

Hmm — I’ll flip through my code book when home, but if I’m out of breaker slots, are in-line fuses kosher? It’s accessible inside the panel, so seems like a good way to go…

you can land them on the main breaker if you're okay with messing with those connections.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Those lugs are almost certainly not rated for 2 wires that far apart in size. Sometimes it's fine, but most often it's not.

Don't do this, ever, unless you have documentation explicitly saying it's OK.

sure sure, check all the papers, it's not ideal, no overcurrent protection in case of a direct short, etc etc

some of them install directly on the buses too, i'd go for that if you can't free up a breaker

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
we can all strive to do better on terminals but the last thing i will add on the topic is that recently i had to run new feeders to a main panel only to find that one of the lugs was cross threaded so for the past 33 years...one of the feeders had just been sitting in the terminal with friction. quickly turned into a scramble to find a new main breaker or hunker down for a panel swap. that lug wasn't even in bad shape at the point of "contact" so that homeowner is incredibly lucky, conventional wisdom says that should have been a problem within months or weeks of usage

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I bought my house back in April and the previous owner put recessed lighting in the master bedroom. Two of the four sockets have gone dead since we moved in, and since I don't know anything really about home electrics I'm just going to call someone in to look at them. However, is there anything else I can do to better understand the issue/not give away that I don't know anything when I do call someone? All I did to test them out was to swap in different bulbs that I knew were working.

in addition to what mo said, some recessed cans have little thermal fuses that can blow, especially with incandescents

MomJeans420 posted:

two cables, one hot wire between them

definitely sounds like switch looping, power was run to the devices first and those wires are just interrupting the hot connection on each

boy do i hate these! it sure is a dimmer that works by adjusting the toggle. if it's not a three way there should only be two connections, which might be like your bathroom and use white wires as part of a switch loop

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

devmd01 posted:

I want to add a second switch to two of the upstairs bedrooms for controlling the fan separately from the light. Replacing the existing wiring run of 14/2 is easy.

*looks at price of 50ft of 14/3*
:eyepop:

no need to get 14/3 to replace the existing 14/2. simply add another 14/2

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Infinotize posted:

Pics of my main and sub. The trick with the main is those 4 blanks at the bottom of the main cover are actually not blanks, there's nothing behind them. So the only free space is the 2pole in slot 6/8 that's off - that goes to dead circuit and is gonna get reused.

sorry to be extremely nosy but why is your solar backfeed breaker off? you could turn this into a line side tap to free up another 2 spaces, but it would mean installing a little 2 space panel or fusible disconnect immediately next to this main

while they are tandem 2-pole breakers, i don't think they make any for QO and you're pretty much only going to find two sets of 2-pole 20's. probably best to stick with using those last two spaces on a subpanel or you'll just be back here again sooner than you think

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Infinotize posted:

This was literally the day my solar was installed so I was waiting on the utility to go ahead and commission it, it's on now!

I am just going to eat the somewhat more expensive route and add the additional subpanel at this point.

holy poo poo that is a fast turnaround from install to operating! here in new england it's several weeks between the town inspectors and the utilities

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I'm planning on adding a light to a tub/shower combo in our 2nd bathroom. Currently only has a vanity light for the whole room. Not that it's huge, but once you throw in a shower curtain the shower is pretty dark.

If I'm reading things correctly, this light fixture need to be GFCI protected, right? And being above the shower, it has to be wet location rated, not just damp, right?

Is there any good retro-fit workaround for the GFCI requirement, like some in-line device or a special fixture/switch?

Failing that, is anyone going to care if I just pull power from the nearest GFCI receptacle? Planning on a LED puck, probably 4". Wouldn't imagine this is enough load to push past a tipping point, but I dunno... there's a GFCI protected receptacle 1 stud bay over from the switches, so it'd be pretty simple to pull from that.

Finally, maybe more of an opinion question, this is for a bone-standard tub/shower combo, 60"x30". Would a single 4" puck be enough? Seems like it would be, but I dunno. More than I have currently, at least.

only the receptacles in a bathroom need to be GFCI protected, it's personnel protection, not circuit/equipment protection like AFCI. massachusetts has a code amendment that says GFCIs cannot also turn off all the lights in a given area.

the hazard the GFCI is mitigating is where a person interacts with a circuit, most often plugging in damaged or wet equipment. the bigger hazard tying the lights into the GFCI presents here is making a wet room go dark in the event of a trip!

if it's a wet-rated puck light, there's not really anything for a GFCI to protect unless the person in the running shower is prying it apart...you can just power the switch for it from the line side of the GFCI receptacle.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
aw poo poo are we talking solar powered energy storage systems??? there are several on the market, each with their benefits and host of problems. absolutely they can do the things you're asking, back up circuits with automatic transfer with almost no interruption and continue to charge from solar panels (or in Generac's case, a propane or natural gas powered DC generator), but there are output limits. "whole home backup" will usually involve a way to shed bigger loads like air conditioners and ranges.

generac is very good on the electrical end, you get the transfer switch and load management equipment they've been developing for decades but their solar end is problematic. they bought their clean energy system by buying a smaller company, pika energy, and had to come up with some wonky solutions to get to market and be compliant with new rapid shutdown code. they are working on a microinverter-based system (bought another company) so feel free to be a guinea pig for that if you're down for heartbreak. at some point (soon?) these can integrate with a lot of generac's standby generators

enphase's system is pretty cumbersome, its specs do not compare, and basic functions of a microgrid like load shedding are not integrated solutions. you're in for a lot of planning and troubleshooting if your use case falls outside a short list. for an example of this system's quirks, the batteries and smart switch...communicate...with...bluetooth. there is no hardwire option. another thing you could do with enphase equipment is power circuits just with your solar (a small fraction of its output, but still) without batteries, but that's madness. you'd probably want at least one battery just so your microgrid doesn't start and stop with the weather. bonus! these systems can integrate with a select number of standby generators

sunpower has an integrated system i have absolutely no experience with, but it boasts nice specs.

tesla you have to be Certified out the rear end and the specs i see don't really compete. unless i was looking at older models or whatever. seems to get the job done, these things do numbers.

if only there was some way to take enphase's great solar system....and make it work with generac's great battery system...hm!

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

I have a smaller than I’d like Enphase system (on install day, they discovered the roof was measured wider than it was, RIP 3 panels for fire setback) to offset my consumption. It was not a smart financial decision as it’s something like 20+ years to break even, but I work in clean technology, am a nerd and it felt like a tiny way to help offset my impact (even though Seattle is something like 95%+ hydro, IIRC).

I have iq7s; when the power dies, my panels become useless. The iq7s (micro inverters) as I understand it detect loss of grid (frequency shift or loss of what appears to be an infinite sink) and shut themselves off, after what I would imagine is a short period of oscillation as I have no batteries. The new iq8s can apparently run without a grid tie, or batteries, but if a cloud shows up, your power collapses more or less immediately.

I think it really just all comes to anti-islanding — if the grid is down / a segment of lines is desired to be dead, the PoCo assumes a model where since they control the only sources of power, and the switchgear along the way, they can properly de-energize it. Any yahoos without transfer switches who have energized their homes / buildings may potentially work against that goal, hence the transfer switch requirement.

I don’t know how long I’m going to stay in my current place, but given the small size of solar, I don’t think I want to invest in batteries, or do the work of installing a transfer switch… power outages are rare. I’d rather build a ~24 V backup system that can run low power DC loads… e.g., charging radios and phones.

iq7's are kind of wonky with the batteries. they do work but those 8's play real nice. they're literally the same hardware except for the processor which lets it react to grid conditions appropriately. wait for 3 things: iq8's on the roof, the r3 model of the Enpower transfer switch and the higher capacity batteries which might even be floor mounted. did i mention the enphase batteries are 95lb's each? and that you really want 6 of them for significant backup?

oh, 4th thing to wait for: your state to do Connected Solutions so you can get thousands shaved off the cost over the life of it. they discharge the battery and pay you for it

e: interesting thing about iq8's: they will not island unless you buy that same Enpower transfer switch for the batteries, at least 2000 for material alone and most of the labor of a battery install for a system that turns off with clouds. madness.

Extant Artiodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 28, 2022

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
you might be able to get this with some more instruction but i'm gonna side with mo right now, get someone to do this because you essentially just asked if you could take just take the drain from one sink and attach it to an additional sink so neither of them are on the sewer line.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

nwin posted:

One question: I’m used to referencing the code of federal regulations for ship inspections in my job, where things are broken up by applicability based on year of build, passenger capacity, hull material, etc. is the UL code kind of the one-stop shop for something similar or are there other references electricians use to determine what’s up to code?

everything that gets listed has to abide by the NEC, so you will end up with "manufacturer's specifications" as being what to go by. ie, there's no code about staples for NM cable but the manufacturer says you can only put two 14 gauge NM cables under one blue staple. there's a few things that the NEC does not go into detail about but another part of the NFPA does, like energy storage systems. power companies have their own code and guidelines, good luck pushing back on any of it, and what's more the feds/military don't have to follow any of the NEC. something that's readily apparent if you ever have to work on something like former Navy housing.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

If there's room/enough depth to surface mount a box in the back that's what should happen. Put in a single outlet dedicated to the dishwasher.

The rest of that circuit may or may not be correct/to code, but an individual outlet on one single circuit (potentially with an accessible switch to turn the outlet on and off if you're in a weird jurisdiction) is the most correct way to power a new dishwasher.

what i've always done when given the chance is wire the outlet in an adjacent cabinet, usually under the sink, and then just cut a hole to poke the dishwasher cord through so it's ~readily accessible~. you usually want power under there for a garbage disposal anyway. by code a dishwasher has to be on a GFCI circuit so if it's a dedicated line and you flushmounted it in the same bay, you either gotta put in a GFCI breaker or rip the dishwasher out to get to the reset button on the outlet should it ever trip

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

The Bananana posted:

*Me, to this thread*: Hello again old friend.

Question. I just replaced an existing light fixture with a ceiling fan.

It is working. Light works, fan works.

But since it was my very first time doing this, and I basically had no idea what I was doing,
I have to ask: how long... do I have to wait, before its likely I'm out of the woods?
Like, how long after doing this, and it working and what not, and my house doesn't burn down, before I can breathe easy, and think it's probably ok.

Is there a point, like, maybe a few hours, or a day, or a week, after which, if it was gonna fail, it probably would have already?

the magic of electrical is that a bad installation can take 0-100 years to fail. you're not ever going to clear this until you get a professional to inspect it (on-site!) or reinstall it.

here's just a few things that would cause this to be a hazardous install:
- not a fan-rated box, liable to just fall down from the stress, taking whatever it chooses with it
- not grounded/improperly grounded. should there ever be a separate issue that causes the metal to go live (like falling from the ceiling and breaking wires on the way down) if it ain't grounded, the sap who touches it could become that path to ground.
- loose connections. you'll wish the light and fan didn't work if you have bad connections arcing and sparking inside the ceiling.

you already know what it takes to get this off your mind. if you're just asking permission to forget about it, you're not gonna find that here.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Lawnie posted:

Trying to make sure I’ll know when my house is burning down from random bare wires by replacing old smoke detectors with self-contained units. Here’s what it looks like inside the box behind the backplate for the old detector:

For now since I don’t know what exactly to do I’ve just put a cap with some electrical tape on the end of that red wire coming out of the plug for the detector. I doubt it’s hot since there’s not any obvious reason to me why there would be contact between red and black in the plug, but I’m not an electrician. I was originally coming here to ask if I could just put a box cover on top of that box without doing anything with the plug and then affix the backplate for the new detector over top of it using one of the same screws (plus another outside the diameter of the box since the new backplate is a bit larger than the old one), but now I’m additionally making sure there’s no harm in leaving that red wire coming from the plug as-is.

E: I have a baby in the house so if I need to be cutting the breaker to that box then I can do that, it just is most likely on the same circuit as all the ceiling fans.

red/orange/yellow on smoke alarm adapters is for the smoke alarms to talk to each other. i have seen individual units have their red interconnect wire undone because differing brands of alarm (ie, kidde and BRK) on the same circuit will fire off nuisance alarms (or the installer didn't know what it was for and the system works without it). taping up the conductor end is fine as long as you understand the smoke detectors are not interconnected.

the red wires in that ceiling box are most likely the interconnect but red is also used for hot and switched conductors in lighting circuits so without putting a meter on it i can't say for sure.

e: you should change out that adapter for the one that came with the new detector, unless its one of those "universal" ones that comes with a bunch of adapter options

Extant Artiodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 28, 2022

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

This caught me off guard at my parents place but I think i know what’s going on, but want a double check.

I was expecting to find a simple single location switch controlling a single overhead fluorescent fixture in my parents’ laundry room… and instead I found this:

There’s no second switch location… was not expecting this. Is this running LV / something to do with a ballast for the light? It’s a 2005 construction house. Not aware of any outlets connected to this either.

What’s going on, goon mind?

I was hoping to put this in there, as I put a couple in their bathrooms and this room would be perfect for it:

there may not be a second switch location visible...but somewhere in the walls is the wiring for a second 3-way switch. you have there a 3 conductor cable with the white on the common terminal so it's either the switch leg or the hot; the red and black are travelers. in the missing switch box (or the light's box) there is the feed, switch leg from the fixture and the other end of that three conductor cable.

there is no neutral, the manual for that model lutron switch says it's not required but I can't tell if that last wire is white for neutral or green for ground...

so as long as there truly isn't another switch, you can use two of those wires and make it work. one will be the white (which you should mark with black tape) and one of those travelers. either use a meter or (with power off, of course) remove black or red from that switch. if the switch still works the light, that's the one! if it doesn't work, use the other.

i'd recommend using a meter anyway, it's always possible this is wired stupid and is a switch loop for the neutral coming from the light's box. your maestro switch would not work in that case.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

KKKLIP ART posted:

It really seems like a lot of appliances that were hardwired are switching more to plug. I know that I’ve seen kitchen dent hoods that are down from a ceiling come with a plug adapter you hide behind the facade used to cover the ducts.

the more readily accessible disconnects, the better! romex simply is not meant for repeated making and breaking. by putting in a receptacle for an appliance you sweat and swear ONCE instead of every single time it needs to move. one of the best new practices/codes since requiring neutrals in most every switch box

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
just a heads up that does not apply in this case and would have been very unlikely given the location anyway, it could have also been a transformer for heating controls (usually a thermostat). have gone to a couple houses where "their friend who knows electrical" "did something" and now the heat doesn't work

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Bleh. Gonna be costly to replace. Most of the upstairs is two prong so I'm slowly replacing the load in outlets with GFCIs. I tested every three prong in the house and the only ones actually grounded are the washer/dryer area and the one next to the water heater, which is good since a freezer and fridge are going down there.

Speaking of, would having a fridge and freezer on the same outlet be too much load? I'm not sure how to check that.

your appliances should have their wattages on a name plate. if they're on a 15amp breaker, your maximum would be 1800w but there's debate whether or not fridges + freezers are a continuous load, which would mean only being able to use 80% of the breaker, so 1440w. if they're on a 20amp breaker, 80% of 2400w gets you 1920w. might not be a bad idea to just use 80% anyway given the questionable condition of the wire and not knowing how the gently caress its run in the walls

ssb posted:

Eh, I decided this was beyond my comfort/skill level even if someone were to tell me exactly what to do, so I have an electrician coming. Feel free to answer for other people's sake if you want, but I'm just having an outlet installed into the wall back there.

good call! there's exceptions in the code that can be met (250.140) specifically for stoves and dryers in this 3 wire scenario but it's probably best to leave that to someone who is certified or better yet, someone who will take the blame when an AHJ says no.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Cool, thanks. Should I snip the ground wire just in case? Obviously it has nothing to connect to on this end once the receptacle is removed but who knows what's going on in the walls.

it's more of a moral choice than an electrical one. should you leave enough wire in the box to give some sucker down the line hope that this is a circuit they could make work again or should you cut it to crush the urge to hack something together....

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

movax posted:

Do they make 1.406” Decora inserts? Context, I’d like to have a triple gang box with two regular receptacles + a NEMA 6-20… didn’t think about it until I placed the receptacles in the gang box to test fit and realized the 6-20 wasn’t Decora outline.

E: nvm, shouldn’t have posted before checking Kyle: https://www.kyleswitchplates.com/1-4-round-outlet-2-gfci-decora-rocker-wall-switch-plates/ Will just have to paint it black.

the principle of a 20 dollar switch plate..if it was me, i would try to drill a hole in a blank decora insert to fit (and probably spend more than 20 dollars in failed attempts)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

1951. There's a switch on the wall but it only affects one of the outlets in the living room, and not even the outlet closest to the switch. I opened that box and it had six wires, three each of black and white. Two of the black and one white wire were twisted together and taped with what looked like seventy year old electrical tape so I cut all that crap off and used a wire nut. Two of the sets of wires were hot. The light switch only has two wires so it just gets power from that outlet I guess, which is why it has six wires?

Sorry that I don't know all the proper terms :negative:

this is too advanced for just a non-contact tester. the age of these wires, the splicing methods used, the metal boxes and no equipment ground make this project really dangerous. with older wiring the ncvt is prone to false readings and let's say despite your most careful efforts, one of these old wires or splices touches a metal box that's not grounded. any number of metal parts in the room (baseboard heat, water pipes, even wire mesh in old plaster walls) could be live and ringing on the ncvt you're likely thinking is lying. a multimeter will give you a better idea of what is and isn't safe while you wait for the professional

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm helping a friend with solar. Going to quote my post from another thread.

So the question is mainly, what the hell do I do with L2 from the transformer, if anything.

I'm not kidding when I say no electrician here wants anything to do with solar, even though a lot of homes have it.

E: my friend is currently in frustrated "just hook it up" mode but we've already discussed conduit, wire that isn't meant for a dryer, moving the Growatt to another wall to give the transformer and the growatt room. He's hesitant to ripping the drywall down to put up concrete board to mount these onto, but I'll break him eventually.

i also wouldn't loving touch this thing. you want it to be utility interactive without any sort of transferring? you want to tie it into a jerry-rigged subpanel fed by 10ga 120v on a 240v 125a breaker (bonus, neutral and ground bonded)? no loving way. you're going to melt something or kill a line worker backfeeding onto the grid during an outage

e: missed that its entirely off-grid but that panel still says enough for me. find another hack to see it through i guess

Extant Artiodactyl fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 6, 2022

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

That's fair and probably about what I expected. At the moment I'm still very much doing research and to be frank I haven't yet looked for engineered solutions that fit what I want. That said, I had certainly intended to get an engineer at some point since I recognize the many dangers inherent in all of this - additionally, this will be permitted in a fairly populated California county so I can't yeehaw a solution together and expect the county to go sure yeah looks great no problem.

At the moment I'm weighing the pros/cons of microinverters vs putting panels in series to get high-voltage DC (300-400 volts) for a high voltage and relatively high wattage (30-50 kW) inverter to more efficiently generate 240 split-phase and charge a storage battery at high voltage (though I'm not one of those morons repurposing Model 3 batts, this would be a real battery from, ideally, a company that isn't just rebadging poo poo from Alibaba). Dealing with 300+ volts DC obviously has a major advantage in wiring costs/ease since I don't need literal shipping containers of copper, but has a major disadvantage in that, well, it's loving 300 volts DC :yikeseroo: Microinverters give me 240 AC straight out, but charging batteries is then more inefficient and more importantly, conforming to UL 1741 means they don't output power unless they're getting "grid" input, so I'd have to fake that essentially. (I think Enphase's 8 series now allow you to do this but may require the Enphase batteries to fake the grid input - only glanced briefly at the datasheet and have to look more into it). The Enphase ones are also essentially limited to ~500 watt solar panels.

Anyway I don't think I know enough at the moment to request advice so you don't need to bother responding to any of that, but just wanted to get a sense of how knowledgeable I need to be, and I completely understand your criteria - one of those instances where what at first seems like gatekeeping knowledge is in fact preventing people from hurting themselves or others, because they don't know enough to properly use the knowledge they're asking for.

enphase is utility interactive, i have not seen anything for a true off-grid system. also, knowing the limitations of that battery system firsthand, it Ain't What You're Looking For. even in a utility interactive scenario, wait at least one hardware revision for a way around the zigbee + bluetooth reliance. if system components aren't close enough to use it, the manufacturer solution is to bridge the wireless communications with a usb dongle. so if you had a ground mount array or a battery shed, they would want you to put an outdoor outlet in the middle of the run to power the dongle.

again really only talking in the realm of utility interactive, microinverter systems tend to survive longer and be better to service. a single inverter means a big ol' point of failure. ask a few people who have a solaredge system and you'll quickly come across someone who had to have their inverter replaced. that being said, you're right about the dc runs in these systems being easier on material and simpler for battery systems while also having a higher barrier of making it safe. ie, anything DC indoors has to be in metal conduit/raceways/etc but this is also now true of ac pv source conductors (over 30v) as of 2020 code.

the utility-interactive, integrated system stuff is getting better all the time with its off-grid capabilities but i understand that the real deal, completely disconnected off-grid is its own goal for its own reasons

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

Yeah, don't feel bad. It's really really not obvious. I've had to point them out to multiple people over the years.

PO had put in these especially dreadful toggle-looking dimmers where the toggle IS the dimmer. it can sit at any position between on and off and just looks like a broken toggle

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I did not really scrutinize it and thought it meant keeping a spare hot for adding an outlet or whatever later, but when I reread it later, it was all about the neutral.

Edit: I get the idea that I want a neutral in case I use a smart switch later so I think the thing is I should run new circuits that have a switch with NM 2-wire instead of ... NM 1-wire? I don't think that is even a thing, but I guess you can see just hot and ground in older stuff?

what are you trying to do, take existing garage lights without a switch and install one or are you running everything thing new?

if you're taking existing lights that only have direct power, you will want that 14-3 so you can have constant power on black, switched power on red and neutral on white. if you want any switch smarter than a toggle (motion, wifi, timer, etc) you need that neutral.

if you're running everything new, you'll run 14-2 to your switch box first and then to your lights. 14-3 is useful to run to your lights in case you want to have two switches for two sets of lights or a ceiling fan or something.

if you're just trying to avoid opening the 14-3 roll then you can run a second 14-2, just make sure to label every cable and conductor

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Get the one with the little flashlight in the end. It's far more useful than I ever imagined. Also, get something that takes real batteries (AA or AAA) and not USB-rechargable.

the klein ones with the flashlight are garbage that break within months! they have redesigned them but ive seen half a dozen dead ones so far. i have the one with the laser pointer and that's worked out great for me

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010
listen, if you replace the main panel for a customer and their house is a loving mess, or they're staring you down to be done already, or the house's circuits just plan suck AND they did not explicitly ask for the circuits to be labeled? unknown circuits are getting alternating labels of "lights" and "outlets".

quote:

408.4(A) Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identification shall include an approved degree of detail that allows each circuit to be distinguished from all others.

i should start putting some adjectives on those then. maybe "cool lights" and "sneaky outlets". would love to see an inspector tell me specifically why a set of lights is not cool

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just kicked some electricians off of a job because they made a "panel schedule" for a 3-section 96-breaker panel where the entire second section was "lights" on every single circuit. Forty-two spaces of single pole breakers that say "lights." Not what room, section, north south east west upstairs downstairs nothing. Just "lights."

The invoice will not be paid until they can figure out what they ran to what. I'm not spending any of my money IDing circuits for sixty rooms on a commercial remodel. I know section 3 of that panel was going to say "outlets."

It took them six weeks to label the terminal equipment as to what panel and circuit stuff was on. I had some fan controllers that had makeup exhaust air, plus separate circuits for controls and equipment. The only label was a sharpie saying "panel N-13." Panel N is 480V, and the control is 120V, so I know that's wrong. They looked at me like I'd lost my mind when I said to label everything properly.
:colbert: "I need the circuit for each fan and the controlled equipment labelled on the outside of the box so I know all the independent sources of electrical energy to secure before opening this box."
:byoscience: "We'll write it inside in sharpie."
:colbert: "That is not acceptable according to current OSHA and NFPA Arc Flash Hazard requirements. Permanent labels affixed to the outside of the box where no energized equipment can be touched."

Lazy rear end in a top hat electricians are the worst.

that's completely next level bullshit to do on a commercial job, it's not even being lazy at that point because it would just be so much harder to work without any kind of labeling! ive witnessed apprentices chewed out for repeat labeling (ie two home runs labeled "c22") and that's double for addressable fire alarm mistakes. definitely a consequence of the install crew not being responsible for anything past the power being turned on, a policy whose consequences i could fill an entire thread with

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I want to install a new circuit in my garage to power an electric (heat pump) water heater, since my utility provides a nice big incentive for doing so that basically makes the heater itself free. All of the existing circuits in the garage are in EMT conduit that is strapped to the wall, over the drywall. So I'm thinking that I'd use 3/4" EMT, which should be big enough for the 4x 8AWG wires needed to power a 30A/220V outlet. I'd prefer not to use MC conduit, mostly for aesthetic's sake.

The tricky bit is in planning the conduit run. The most convenient route would be to start at the main panel, run horizontally to midway down the wall, make a 90 to go up to the ceiling, make another 90 to go across the ceiling, then make a final 90 to go down to where the box should be installed, on the opposite wall. This route would require crossing over a previously-installed 1/2" conduit run, though. Is this permissible, and if so, how should it be done? Do I just bend the conduit gently around the obstruction?

you only need #10 for 30A which would fit in 1/2" but the 3/4" will serve you better for any additional future circuits and make this easier to pull. as far as the conduit run goes, you can only have 360° of bends between pull points but you'll want one before that anyway. to get over the existing conduit, you'd need to do a "saddle bend". or buy one, they can be tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

Soap Scum posted:

sigh, yeah, unfortunately i think it must be in the wire path between breaker and outlet. pretty incredible that the electrician thought the breaker just needed to be changed though haha. thanks for guiding me through this. i might grab a tone probe and try to locate the junction myself -- i suspect it's very very close to the two outlets tbh -- but depending on prices i might just let an electrician handle it after filling them in on everything we've been able to determine so far.

but i promise i will turn off the power if i use a tone probe myself :)

thanks again for everything! i'm gonna try to resolve this like immediately so hopefully i'll be able to post the mystery resolution here sometime soon :')

is your panel is a square D homeline panel? there's a mix of types of breakers in your pictures so i'm impressed because homeline in particular doesn't play well with others. isn't relevant to the current issue, as others have said, if the breakers have voltage and the outlets don't, there's a break or secret disconnect somewhere. mentioning this for two reasons, could be a future issue down the line if the breakers are incompatible and not making a good connection to the bus and for your troubleshooting it means you may have to throw out assumptions of sensible decisions since the PO + their contractors were just doing whatever.

the PO on my house turned off the washer water lines and removed all the aerators to hide issues with the well/plumbing and the home inspector wasn't good enough to catch it