Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I like how you went to the trouble of using a half-width piece for the smaller section.

Well otherwise it would look ridiculous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Isn't a motorcycle basically air conditioning incarnate?

A fan perhaps, but not air conditioning.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Armor equipped: Emperor Qin's Enchanted Fork Gaiters

Fork Seal Service Life (Endurance) +10
Street Cred (Charisma) -8

You have reached Dad Bike Level III

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They were stupid cheap. $4 shipped from China. I don't even know how that is possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-37mm-Universal-Motorcycle-Rubber-Front-Fork-Cover-Gaiters-Gators-Boots-/321928480891

But they seem to be of decent quality, quite elastic. But they fitted so snug on my 37 mm forks they wouldn't slide properly. So I had to poke a tiny hole in each bellow so the vacuum wouldn't make it stick. Along with some teflon spray it worked nicely. The tiny vent holes (in addition to the two or three factory ones) won't compromise protection from rocks etc, but might give less protection against rust over winter. We'll see.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

Anything is possible with slave labour. :capitalism:

And state subsidized transport. Somebody's getting hosed, but not my forks!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

I'm not *that* tiny, about 70 kg (154lbs) with gear I think.

I'm almost 20 kg heavier than you and I didn't think the XSR700 (which I assume has the same suspension as the MT07) was undersprung, so I understand how you didn't find any sag. But it was poorly damped, it gives you a shock back in the bar/rear end when the spring extends after being compressed. Start saving for a full Öhlins job. It's probably close to 20000 SEK but you can cope with the stock suspension for two years and you get to experience a totally different bike when it's done.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Öhlins would be nice but I'm not racing so all that gold anodizing would probably be lost on me. But there are alternatives. The Hyperpro kit seems popular.

https://calsport.co.uk/yamaha-mt07-2015/hyperpro-suspension/hyperpro-shocks-and-springs/SB-YA07-5AE-B/

Hyperpro is ok, but that kit doesn't include cartridges. I don't think the spring makes much difference up front, it's not undersprung but the damping is simple and unsophisticated. There are other fork kits, but with Öhlins, which I assume have some pretty good dealers in Sweden, you'd get new fork internals with high and low speed damping so bumps are soft but braking and corners are stiff.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Was on holiday, parked the bike in my mom's garage for less than a week, still the battery was low enough that it wouldn't start. Thankfully there's a tiny hill in her driveway that was just long enough to bump start. Chinese piece of poo poo battery, hope I have the receipt still.

But anyway, someone else had a worse day, vehicular-wise. Found this stuck in the gas station air pump.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well done! If you put restrictors in, it smooths out. Just a bit somewhere in the tube with a very narrow passage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

I saw this guy on YouTube with a zero that he hooks up to his RV and just roams around everywhere for work or whatever. The thing as dirty as gently caress too, and he's melting power cords so I bet they could take some serious abuse as long as you can put up with the charging times. Some models do over heat if you are doing sportier riding but I think they fixed some of that with newer models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHhwWnI5jQ

Melting multiple power cords...should be using a thicker gauge of cable then. Anyway, it affirms my opinion that the Zero motorcycles are basically on the Tesla Roadster stage of development. Not well engineered or practical enough for mass market, but great for niche users. I absolutely loved my ride on an SR, felt like a magic racing carpet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like making fun of Buell even if I think they are quite cool, but that looks stupid.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Not today, but recently I let my new MT-07 loose on the track. I did 1½ days at Gotland Ring in Sweden. They have public driving most days where you just show up, pay the fee, show that you brought a helmet and you're off. If both cars and bikes show up you split the day in 20 minute sessions but it was only bikes most of the time and no timed sessions.

I'm not fast by any standards but I shaved about 8 seconds off last year's lap times even though I was down 25 hp from my last bike. I know a good rider could push the bike a lot harder but I'm still a track noob and I had to keep it safe to be able to ride it home afterwards. This is my fastest lap at 1:57 but the fast guys are closer to 1:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwuqNO8GjCw

Cool clip!

Holiday destination...? maybe try to beat your record? :shobon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Most of the kick stand would be fine, it's just the bottom of the foot (and maybe only a few specific spots there ) that would get ground down. And you don't see those most of the time anyway.

Powdercoat, let the ground contact patch wear away, then sand the rust off and spray on bed-liner or similar.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Put a new battery in it, got a warranty return on the previous. Bike was still slow as gently caress to start, had to bump start it. Started fine, but made rod noises. :ohdear: Went away when it warmed up, will see what it sounds like tomorrow morning. In the mean time I've casually browsed some financing options for a Zero SR.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Put a new battery in it, got a warranty return on the previous. Bike was still slow as gently caress to start, had to bump start it. Started fine, but made rod noises. :ohdear: Went away when it warmed up, will see what it sounds like tomorrow morning. In the mean time I've casually browsed some financing options for a Zero SR.

And now my bike is loving stolen wtf.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Schroeder91 posted:

What was it? And that fuckin sucks.

1986 Suzuki GSX 750 ES. So the robber won't exactly be the organization's biggest earner this week with that grab alone. Thankfully I changed my insurance earlier this year, so have full coverage.

e: and two days ago someone stole my gf's bicycle. Someone's trying to immobilize us. :tinfoil:

Ola fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 16, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the sympathies. It was like the dear old family golden retriever. :( Off to the police now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At least a base of that base. :haw:

I'm a student for the next five years so buying a low volume, high tech vehicle at twice the price of five years worth of bus passes isn't the best of economic decisions, but on the other hand :wom: ZOOOM :wom: :awesomelon:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Jævla pikkhue tyv!

Tusen takk :skriker:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Recovered it. Police called me at 5 AM.

So that's where the bastards took you.

Sigh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

makka-setan posted:

Wohoo! :toot:

Did they catch the dickless oval office that stole it too?

Yes, even made the Twitter police blotter/account thingy.

https://twitter.com/Hordalandpoliti/status/778799494112555009

It's maximum 21 years imprisonment and no torture in Norway, but there has to be some sort of exception for bike theft. Right hand severed by chain and sprocket?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's running ok. That rod noise I thought I heard wasn't there now, it probably just ran on three after I bump started it the day before it got stolen.

Will see how much insurance thinks the lock cylinder repair comes to. It might total the bike, which I wouldn't be too uncomfortable with. They did ride it for 50-60 km or so, who knows how. At least it would get a known grave.

Unlike the thieves who will be thrown in the moat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just a heads up, if they total it out and you buy it back, I bought a lock+ignition+key for the cx500 turbo for just over $23 US via ebay.co.uk . Had the new tumbler re-keyed to match my old key and I was in business.

Thanks for the tip!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Unfortunately it seems horse theft isn't (and legally never was) a capital offence in any state. The worst recent case I could find was a a woman who stole five horses, killed one and let the other four escape who was sentenced to 60 years in jail.

All joking aside, what the everloving gently caress. If you steal a lambo, which outvalues all those 5 vet-pumped sidewalk-shitters, you'll get a year. Or ..hmm...actually, maybe you will get a lot over there. Is the lambo owned by the governor's son? That adds a decade or two. Black? Instant death. I guess that case is weird but not that weird. Anyway, I love America but holy gently caress I don't want to be anything but rich, white and connected while living there.

Slavvy posted:

God bless Norway's finest :norway:

#suzukilivesmatter

Much thanks for your continued support. Although I am contemplating a behind-the-barn option, it is a much loved mare. My mom went nuts on Facebook about it being a "family member" etc.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I should have added, it was new old stock, not some third party junk.

I would be ok with 3rd party (given insurance etc) , it's mileage that matters, amount of twists. I tested my own lock for this earlier this year. Once, I hit a bump so hard the keys fell out of the lock at speed. Engine kept running. So I thought my lock sucked. Tried it with a popsicle stick, it didn't budge. Tried a bit harder with the luggage key, still didn't budge. So I figured it wasn't an easy steal. And from the shape of it now, they had to remove a whole bunch of metal to get it running. I wish they just knew the age old art of hot wiring in which you identify the wires which get crossed, then just cross those and you're ok. loving scum artless hoodlums they have these days.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: I'm leaving that, the most perfect of typos

I was sure it was intentional.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just helped a wrecker / bike shop owner load it up on a trailer. He does work for the insurance company, which pending some paperwork will own the bike. We had a good run, but I guess I am now soon officially bike free. Sad, bu....hey, what's that noise, it's a aaaaaaaa :gb2gbs:

e: btw the bike shop guy was very cool. He had had a same make, 83 model which he rode to St Tropez with a girl and he said he shot some nudes of her there on that bike. Typical biker, whatever he takes pictures of, the bike has to be in the shot. His current ride? His 6th Tesla...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Someone straighten me out here, is exhaust popping indicative of a lean condition or is it unburnt fuel igniting when it hits a hot exhaust? I have heard both.

Isn't it both? The lean mixture (which is not a problem at idle anyway) burns slowly or incompletely and is still burning when it enters the exhaust.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Honda sells a naked (well, as naked as bikes get these days) Gold Wing called the Valkyrie

It looks like it was designed as the main vehicle in Full Throttle 2, by someone who has only seen a motorcycle in Full Throttle 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy smokes that z900 is :swoon: