Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Also, am I the only one that thinks that that looks vaugely photoshopped?

pretty good if it is, the shadows are all perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gnaghi posted:

The problem with the supermoto is I have to run it right off the battery, since at idle the thing will literally turn off and on. I really need to figure out how this goddamn kickstarter works.

I had a lend of a buddys ktm 525 exc sumo conversion for the last week, battery is dead so its kick only, made the mistake of going out for a spin wearing soft soled runners.
Called to a friends house then mangled my foot trying to kick it after it kicked back the first attempt and bruised the sole of my foot pretty badly.
Funnest bike i've ever ridden, scary weave at speeds over 80 mph though.

edit how do i delete attachments :( uploaded the un-resized pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 25, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
yeah but if you have 2 or 3 sets of old sportbike wheels lying around its a cheap way to make a motard-esque bike out of an old thumper

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Anyone got any tips on removing paint from plastic? I'm ready to bring back teal and the Dremel aint doin the trick...

soda blasting maybe, if they were really careful with it

edit: or knock up a diy one
http://www.garagenight.tv/diy-soda-blasting-build-your-own-rig-cheap/

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
new superretards vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2YAwZP_35A

edit, fixed url, and hey, they just put up another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CqYCSCMaVU

echomadman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 14, 2011

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pete posted:

The headlights are bright - currently 35w halogen but it'll take 50w and different coloured bulbs. The best thing is a new bulb I can find in a DIY shop for 35 pence..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAOh1ZzCBo

are those kitchen downlighter bulbs?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Put a deposit on this today, picking it up at the start of october.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Missed out on that sweet ktm a few weeks ago :(
Picked up this little number today though

pic from the for sale ad as its too dark here at the moment.
loads of farkles and all the original bits in a box. K&n jetkit and full yoshimura system. gel seat + stock seat, Renthal fatbars, zeta levers. all for €3480.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Whats the deal with changing tyres on spoked rims?
I've done the SV tyres before but i have a set of pilot powers coming for the drz and want to fit them myself, just wondering if I have to do anything different when supporting the wheels while I swing out of them to get the old tyres off.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

needknees posted:

Tubes, lol. So much fun!

gently caress me i didnt even stop to think there'd be tubes. :smith:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has this been posted already?
http://youtu.be/FGmQkLSoNzM some Swedish gangsta rappers with the Superretards. its pretty funny

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Has anyone here ever used Evans waterless coolant? Saw Jay Leno talking about it on his site a few weeks ago and it looks pretty cool. http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/waterless-engine-coolant/1376127

Lots of offroader/enduro guys use it apparently. I just found a retailer in the uk that'll ship to Ireland and debating buying it. I'd be interested to hear anyones personal experience of it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

50k on a streetbike in all weather over a year and a half).

"all weather" for you is like summer for a lot of us

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phqJiYc3e7Q

Turbo Husqvarna SM510R Supermoto

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Engine life now measured in seconds.

He had it apart to replace a stripped 6th gear in the first place. Things like this make me glad i bought a drz instead of a fancier sumo. Sure its not as fast or as cool. but its not as likely to explode and rape my wallet.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm probably going to drop 1 in the front or go up 3 at the back on my drz aswell, currently its pegged out at 98 mph indicated in top gear, its not really comfortable above 90, so i'd rather have the fun factor of more acceleration.
Also want to do it because I suck at wheelies, i'd like to be able to pop it up in third a bit easier, with the stock gearing i can only get it to do a sad little hop.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Had the DRZ on a dyno today, 36.99 Horses. time to start saving for an FCR and DRZ-E cams.
http://youtu.be/iJoX_ILhqzM

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The whole automotive industry is incestuous like that, my Suzuki wagon-r is also an Opel Agila, Opel being a division of GM. My DRZ is a KLX, My BMW f650 is an Aprilla Pegaso, my SV650 shares a lot of its DNA with various Hyosungs. My mothers Ford Galaxy is essentially the same car as her old VW Sharan. her husbands Audi A4 is pretty much the same as my gfs dads VW Passat.

What i'm saying is vehicle designers be lazy yo.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ripoff posted:

A couple of quick questions for all the supermotard owners here since I've been considering nabbing one in the last few weeks:

1) I live in Pittsburgh and as it appears right now the city seems to be "meh, gently caress it" on the idea of repairing the streets (case in point: we had a landslide on a major roadway that helped traffic flow out of the city back in January and there's still no word on if they've even started repairing it). When I'm riding the current bike, a 2000 Honda VFR, I find myself bouncing along the roads due to nothing being smooth and whipping side to side to avoid large cracks/potholes/etc. To be blunt, I hate riding a sportbike here. Would a supermotard make sense for lovely quality roads and make riding enjoyable again? Or is it just as stressful in your opinion?

2) Because I'm in the city I tend to get a lot of no-neck mouth breathers that take honestly 30 seconds to respond to traffic lights turning green. This means I spend a lot of time sitting in traffic in the city before I can get out of the area, as well as going about 10-15 mph max through the tunnels on my commute to work. The VFR tends to overheat a ton in this traffic, and I'd imagine a Supermotard would do the same. Are there supermotards with electric fans or other ways of dissipating heat, or do you have to keep it moving constantly?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions. Every day I ride out I get a little bit closer to selling the VFR and quitting altogether, so I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong tool for the job.

What everyone else said.
I can take my drz down lovely undulating gravelly potholed backroads flat out (at a whopping 97mph) and its the same as taking my SV at 30mph. I had a BMW F650 aswell and the DRZ is far more coomposed in rough conditions than it was, although not as comfortable to sit on for extended periods.

The DRZ has an electric fan on the rad, but overheating is a rare problem in Irish weather. You may be able to beef it up, personally I wouldn't sit in traffic anyway (filtering is legal here)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Check out all the cool poo poo I have waiting to go on my DRZ.

Rim Tape, case protectors, manual CCT. cap on coil upgrade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIFwXtiYbhc)
FCR39
I need to get some bits for the FCR, throttle cables and poo poo. if anyone's done the swap already I'd appreciate any advice you care to give.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Niven posted:

I installed my FCR last summer with essentially no mechanical experience so any mope with a few tools should be able to pull it off. A few of the lessons I took out of it:

If you don't already have it, get the extended fuel screw. And if you do get it, take note that the thread/tip isn't the same length as on the stock screw so you can't necessarily follow the "X turns" suggestion.

When putting the carb in push the boot from the airbox back and then use the frame to hold in in place while you wrestle the FCR in (pain in the rear end)

Don't be a loving dumbass like me and forget to run the vac line (I actually hooked up one of the vent lines to the nipple then wondered why it kept dying on me).

If you've got any sort of cheap throttle lock that can make it a lot easier to get the throttle cables out, zip ties can help stop the wheel from springing back when cramming your fingers in there trying to hook the cables back up.

That one looks different from mine so maybe it doesn't have the accelerator pump (MX?) but if it does, look in to the o-ring mod.

Enjoy the whistle
yeah its an older FCR, but I was talking to the seller again and he said it was pulled from a DRZ so hopefully i wont have to do too much to it.
It has an accelerator pump but the recommended mod is slightly different from the oring mod, it involves taking a dremel to part of the pump assembly.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Dear Spiffness:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2012models/2012-KTM-690SMCR.htm

I don't think you'll miss that 13k in your bank account much.

I saw that in the flesh at the Milan bike show, its hot. All the 2012 690 based bikes are awesome.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I just hit 3K miles on my DRZSM and my rear tire is looking tired. Its the stock wheels, & I want to upgrade to the distanzias except without wasting a good front tire. Are bikes like a car where mixing and matching tires isnt the greatest idea? Should I just buy another stock rear until the front wears and then replace the set?

If I stick with the stock wheel, what rear brand/type would I need to get? Its a 2008.

Thanks!

I just put a set of pilot powers on mine to replace the lovely oem tyres, they handle really nicely and by all accounts get a long life on the drz.
I changed the back tyre first and rode around with mismatched tyres for about 3 weeks, I didn't notice anything drastically dangerous about it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

Guys

How does this one look?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suzuki-drz400e-supermoto-enduro-swaps-/120907944915?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c26acd3d3

Is there anything specific to DRZs that I would need to poke or prod?

Also, how is a 400SM different from a 400E that's been supermotoed?

I didnt know you could plate E models in the uk/ireland.

The E has a better carb, more agggressive cam profile (pre 06 anyway) and a larger diameter header.
So basically it has all the go-fast mods people do to their SMs already done out of the box.
That one has a nice front brake upgrade done to it.

I was looking at that bike last night, if it wasnt at the wrong side of england one of my mates was going to hop on the ferry to go get it.

edit, I think the older non USD forks have a little less trail with the sumo wheels than the USDs on the newer models, making them slightly more twitchy, but there are lots of people riding around on them so it cant be that big of a deal.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 8, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

This thread needs to be off page two.

Tried out some GoPro mounts today on the DRZ:

Suction cup to clutch cover:

And suction cup to radiator cowl:

you're brave, i'm afraid to use the suction cup on my drz since my kayak incident nowhere seems flat enough to give a comfortable grip. and doesnt the clutch cover get too hot?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3489250
this is really tempting for that price, what obvious pitfalls am i missing?
do these bikes explode at 20k miles or what

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Friend of mine making the most of having to emigrate to Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZm_wndh70

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Why do people twist the handlebars while wheelying? I would want to keep it laser straight.

you can steer to some extent and correct imbalances by turning the bars, it only has to be straight when landing

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

My drz came with the gel seat installed (and the stocker in a box), and I put the stocker back on and it's like an amazing upgrade from the gel seat.

So did mine, I rode around on it for two months thinking if this is the gel seat wtf is the stock seat like, swapped them one day on a whim and was amazed to find the stock seat is pretty comfortable.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'm replacing the turn signals with something less bulky and floppy. The stockers are just on there until i can get some replacements

Also I ziptie my plates on as well as bolt them, so if the bolts let go at least they hang on with the zip ties for a while

those floppy indicators can really take a beating though. I had to put them back on my bike because the lovely cheap LED ones the PO had fitted had vibrated/corroded themselves to death.
So far they've shrugged off a few low speed falls, being clipped as I squeezed through a narrow pedestrian entrance and being bent almost 90degrees when i got off the bike after putting it on the sidestand too close to a pole

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Also, you cant paint a plastic tank like that, it will bubble and turn to poo poo in like a week.

yeah, the best solution for this problem is more stickers, not less. plus the see through-ness of the tank makes for a great fuel gauge.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

I have presonaly paked the parcel and I delete each ordered part from the lists when I packs, therefore, that actually is impossible.

Thats so German its hilarious, even before i saw the name Horst or looked up the website i knew.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spandexcajun posted:

Oh man, two DRZ400s popped up on craigslist in the last day, both 06's with 2000 / 4000 miles, both single owners. Around $3000 - $3200. I have also been eye'ing a WR450 that has been converted on craigslist for the last two months. I told myself I would get a sumo / dirtbike next spring but these are the best prices I have seen ever. Good thing I am out of town until Friday, I have some time to think rationality about things.

How easy / cheap is it to put dirt tires on a DRZ400, and is there anything else you would need for a offroad conversion? Nothing crazy, just fireroads or 4x4 truck roads. Is it reasonable to have a second set of wheels / tires and expect to convert to a dirtbike for weekends? FWIW I already have a sv650 I love, just want a second bike for bumming around the frontrange of Colorado and maybe getting my son a matching dirtbike sometime as well.

if you get a set of wheels off an offroad model drz-e they bolt right up, and you'ld need second chain and sprocket set for offroad gearing, although you'ld probably get away with just a bigger rear and a longer chain.
For fire roads the right tyres on the sumo rims would be ok for most of it, they're pretty good in anything thats not mud or wet grass.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Literally the worst motorcycle accessory ever created

I beg to differ
http://www.motorcycle-grips.com/predator-fairing-headlight-mask-streetfighter.html

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

I'd also suggest a front fender if you can fit one on somehow. I couldn't place why it looked so ridiculous but then I realized it was the sportbike type fender. Also, that subframe looks kind of strange from that pic. It looks like he removed panels or something, I can't tell from that pic. Make sure the old one is straight if you want to include that in the deal. Actually it doesn't even look like it has a fender on it? Can you post the CL ad? I promise I won't snipe it out from under you or something crazy, PM me if you want it kept private.

he says in the ad he has all the original plastics,

That low front mudguard will be a godsend if you ride in the rain, off-road ones dont stop the spray off the 17'' wheels, the bike will be more stable at high speeds with it too, you'd only need to take it off if you were going off-road on the bike.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Resource posted:

More Edit: Do I need to use a lift for the DRZ or is there some way to use just a rear stand...
This would be for the impending chain/sprocket replacement work. I feel like I know nothing.

Also DID chains seemed popular, and I think I'll go with the Sunstar or Driven sprockets. Hard to find a steel 38 rear, which I think is the way to go for a little better highway riding... 15/38

I'm running sunstars and a DID chain on my DRZ. has yours had any power increasing mods done? going down to 38 from 41 will take a lot of the fun out of the bike if its still stock in my opinion.
I use an old beer crate as a stand for the drz, just put it under the frame rails under the engine.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pilot powers. The 150s are cheap, and they stick like mad.

I just put some on my DRZ and they're great. All said and done I did two pilot powers, tubes and install for like $250

I'm running a pilot power 2ct front and a regular pilot power rear and I find them great, very good in the wet too. the dunlops that I took off were loving horrible

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'll see your front wheel and raise you a few inches

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spandexcajun posted:

Had just under 3000 miles.

So, I am called to craigslist once again and this time he is not a bitch.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3231827868.html

This looks like pretty much the bike for me, heavaly modified bigbore fancy carbed DRZ400 for a reasonable price. Also close by, might give the guy a call and see if I can look this afternoon. My questions is, is such a modified DRZ now just a ticking timebomb or still pretty reliable?

If all the mods on that one were done by Eddie Sisneros (DRZ guru on SMJ) like it says on the ad it'll be as reliable as stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

spandexcajun posted:

"My bike exploded"

Got word back on the WR450. Main bearing is toast, the lower end is gone. Piston is toast, so the topend is done! Lucky me I get a whole engine rebuild. Headwork, new valves (maybe all 5) New piston, ring, rod, etc... hone cylinder walls, some other stuff and a shitload of labor.

Costing more then 50% what I payed for the bike. Looking on the bright side, I will have a brand new engine to abuse and not worry about.... still paying less then a new WR would have cost.

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it, but i wish I would have had a year or so before this happened. I'll try to stop buy the shop and take some pics of the failed parts if I have time in the next day or so.

You got the dirt wheels with that bike right? you could recoup some of the money by selling those. also i would be going round to the oval office that sold it to you and breaking all his windows or something

edit: or throw the whole bike down the side of a mountain and claim the insurance then buy the drz

• Locked thread