Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fat jammy cunts and goalkeepers. TRP players thread.

You guys make me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Give me a smooth field turf pitch over bobbly natural grass every day, thanks.

My knees are totally hosed and I'd much rather play on artificial turf rather than poo poo natural grass fields.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

It turns out my mystery injury where my knee failed to exist is a dislocated kneecap and by george that's a tender one to pop back into place

I know that life mate, feels real bad.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Remember when I said how much I loved playing on turf?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What are those socks saying?

They're saying mid-length, thin, um thickness.

https://trusox.com/index.php?page=product&product=3011&idVariant=8

I got them for free.

They're those checkerboard socks you see a lot of players wearing under their match socks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

do you like them?

would you pay $40 for a pair?

I really do like them.

If they hold up for a long time I would probably consider it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tongues posted:

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with having played an absolute nightmare of a match? As centreback I just gave away two goals in ten minutes against the league leaders who we were otherwise beating pretty handily. As in, both goals directly as a result of me making two gently caress ups.

Got rightfully dragged by the coach, and our strikers managed to score twice to end the match 3 all. If we had lost I probably would be staying awake all night replaying it.

Drink a bunch of beer with your teammates and make fun of yourself.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol @ the fatty goalkeeper cabal coming out of the woodwork.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gary Neville thinks goalkeepers should save seven or eight out of ten one on ones and I think he's right.

Get your fat rear end off your line and cover your angles.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

yeah they're not allowed, oh well. i remember when men were men and studs were metal and it was 2005.

do they even make boots nowadays that don't look completely idiotic?

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com

Since you're playing on turf stay away from blade-style studs like those on your Predators. They're much more likely to grab in the turf when you don't want them to.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

these things seem alright, they at least have some K leather and are light like the idiot pink and green boots that look like clown shoes.

Pro-tip, if you're in the US it's usually cheaper to order boots from the UK Pro Direct site with the current exchange rate.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

fyi, lots of people wear FG boots on turf and are just fine

i hope i didn't jinx myself

He currently has SG boots that would be really bad for turf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

these also seem alright and are made at least partially from kangaroos. i could live with blue i guess.

That's a huge discount on those, drat.

I wear Mizuno boots and have nothing but good things to say about them.

That being said, I don't like the stud pattern on those for wearing on turf.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Go legit old school.

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Puma-King-Top-MII-Nat-FG-Brown-Red-Blast-Mens-Soccer-Cleats-Firm-Ground-Brown-Red-Blast-131229.aspx

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I bought these because I have no self control.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

$275 boots(retail, made in Italy) for $125, indeed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Huskalator posted:

Anyone ever tried to get good at free kicks? This is a skill that I hardly ever see people get good at but seems like it would be pretty useful.

Most teams usually have one or two guys who are already good at them so I don't really bother. The only person I've played with who I saw actively practice free kicks was actually under contract for a couple years(never played) with the Metrostars so it was his job to practice them back then.

I do practice corner kicks but that's because I like to use a very flat, driven delivery and if I don't practice that technique regularly I tend to lose it a bit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

iajanus posted:

Yeah I think in games at my teams' skill level I could count on one hand how many good crosses were made with a good touch at the other end this season.

My team scored two goals off of crosses and two off of corner kicks last week. :shrug:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

gently caress people who don't sub off when you ask them to

Yeah, this is a bit poo poo.

We kicked a guy off our team last year because of it.

I'm very much a squad player on my team. I know I'm going to get my chance to play most of the game against crap teams and that I'll get 15-20 minutes a half against the better teams and I'm perfectly ok with that.

I like playing on a good team and winning stuff(even if it's just over-30 men's league) more than I need to play every second of every match.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

i just scored a cracking airborne volley in fuckin 35 degree heat and im very proud of myself, who else has scored a cool goal lately

I scored a thrilling half volley last week that rolled all the way down my shin, off my toe and perfectly into the bottom corner. I thought I had done my knee it was such an impressive near air kick.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Thread: What's the best ball you've ever played with?

All of the high end Nike balls for the past 10 years have been incredible. The Nike Ordem series of balls that are out now are really great. I think they're miles better than the Adidas offerings.

You can usually find last year/the year before Nike Ordem balls for like half price too. I think the last few I bought were the 16/17 Premier League ball and I got them for like $50 each, essentially three for one.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

eBay is very hit or miss. Last year's balls are generally not that cheap but if you go another year back you may get an insane discount. Spell a word wrong.

Last year's Nike ball is available on Amazon for $90 right now.

Edit: eBay is hitting hard on Ordem 4s right now, they're going as low as $60+ shipping if you don't care that it has the NWSL logo on it.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 7, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

my team has lost all their games this season how can i make them more aggressive?????

Play hungover.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Playing on turf for the first time in ages. RIP my knees.

Turf is great, you won't step in a hole and explode your leg.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ok.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Geno posted:

Nope, well, there are $9 ref fees per game where everyone pitches in a $1 but some people never brought money so now I pay for the ref fess and add the total ref fees into the season cost.

I pay for the league fee and everyone Venmo/Paypals me the fees. Some don't have Venmo/Paypal so they have to pay me in cash. It's usually those people that are the hardest to pay.

MONEY UP FRONT OR YOU DON’T PLAY

MONEY UP FRONT OR YOU DON’T PLAY

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Our team wears blue and one guy had navy blue and the ref wouldn't let him play, despite the other team wearing white.

So one guy on our team points out that they have someone in grey and the ref stopped the game until both found a shirt. Neither team had subs.

They tried this monotone color rule like 6 months ago and failed, it's utterly asinine

This makes no loving sense in a pay to play league, that ref should be thrown out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

New season starts in a couple weeks and that means new boots for the first time in a couple years.

I decided to go for something more traditional as opposed to the lairy colorways I usually wear. Mizuno Morelia Neo for life.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-II-FG-Made-In-Japan-Black-Blue-Atoll-Firm-Ground-Mens-Boots-202623.aspx

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

I saw the price in pounds and was all :monocle: but then I remembered what exchange rate has cratered to lol. They look good.

I actually got them for about the same price as that but in Ameribucks.

https://www.soccer.com/shop/details/mizuno-morelia-neo-ii-mij-soccer-cleat-black-blue-atoll_A1027190

Goal Club price plus another 10% off and free shipping thrown in which is always nice.

If you're American and order soccer stuff even semi-regularly, getting a lifetime Goal Club membership at soccer.com is totally worth it. It's a $25 one time payment and you get 10% off every purchase for life, the boots I just bought paid for the Goal Club membership. I also get coupons in the mail a couple times a year for $10 or $20 off an order. You also accumulate points based on how much you spend, the exchange rate is crap, it's like a $10 gift card for every $300 spent but with the cost of boots these days that could add up pretty quickly. I think you can also accumulate points from team orders so if you can foot the bill, order your team's new kit with your account and redeem the points for a nice gift card for yourself.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

New season starts in a couple weeks and that means new boots for the first time in a couple years.

I decided to go for something more traditional as opposed to the lairy colorways I usually wear. Mizuno Morelia Neo for life.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-II-FG-Made-In-Japan-Black-Blue-Atoll-Firm-Ground-Mens-Boots-202623.aspx

Friendship ended with this post, these are my new best friend.

https://www.prodirectsoccer.com/products/Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-II-Beta-FG-Silver-Gold-Firm-Ground-Mens-Boots-202638.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My team picked up a former MLS Best XI player a couple weeks ago who is now retired. He hasn’t been out to a game or anything yet but I imagine it’ll be hilarious if he does show. Over-30 league for the record.