Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, I kinda agree with him, like not that those things are great but more that Jack in the movie is immediately unhinged and off kilter to an extent that’s almost comical.

They cast Jack Nicholson in the role, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

You say that like he didn’t literally play a character who was pretending to be insane and mostly just came across as a bro though.

IDK, he comes across as unhinged 24/7, working or not. Doesn't even have to say or do anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started reading Later on the bus, thinking it was going to be a crime novel, but noo, it's loving Aliens from the Internet again right from the get-go jesus gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oldpainless posted:

What? Where was that?

OK maybe not AftI (that was End of Watch) but preternatural poo poo, anyway. I wasn't expecting that from Hard Case Crime.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kaworu posted:

I don’t think it can really be stressed enough just how tall Stephen King is.

It’s sort of funny, because the period of time during which I actually sort knew Stephen King in real life I was still a little kid (age 7 to 13 or so) so I never really registered just how incredibly tall he was - because most everybody over a certain height (maybe 5’7 or so) just seems to tower over your when you’re a child. So my dad or someone else was always the one to mention “You know that was Stephen King and his wife sitting in the booth behind us that whole time right?” after we left “The Wicked Good Store” where we (and the Kings) went out for lunch frequently. Or to point him out when we’d drive by him walking on the road (yes, on THAT road). In a town of ~700 people with one restaurant, those aren’t very long odds.

But in truth he stands out quite a bit for being incredibly loving tall, and it’s difficult to register much of anything else when you encounter him. Seriously, the guy is freaking 6’4 - no exaggeration! He’s like basketball player-tall, and definitely no waif regardless of how fat he may or may not have been. Which is pretty physically imposing, although I sort of recall him as being a rather unobtrusive presence in spite of his size.

Well this was a let-down. I googled it and it's only 193 cm which is tall but not... incredible - like everyone personally knows at least a couple of dudes that tall. I was expecting like 210 at least.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leave posted:

Though, just imagine, what if he were a giant...

I will!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

6'4" is "hey you're pretty tall" tall, barely "yeah, he's like the tallest guy I know well" tall. My wife's uncle is 6'3", my boss is 6'7". It looks like 6'4" is 28th percentile in the NBA for height, with the average height being 6'6.5".

I thought it was 4'. This is very unsettling.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I probably watched it in the wrong mindset so idk if I can fully say if it’s bad/good on its own merits, but I do find it extremely lol that the movie kills a black man that survived in the book.

A twist. Works both ways!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Khizan posted:

I don't think the movie is as good as the book, because I think the story loses something when it just depicts Jack as straight-up Jack Nicholson Insane.

Also the best King movie is Shawshank.

The fedora of movies :smugmrgw: It would be somewhat but also greatly improved if they replaced Freeman's creaking with the lovely Youtube Shorts AI-generated voice.

e: The Shining isn't a very good book, anyway. I'm glad Kubrick wasn't faithful to it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 22, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

just has Jack go insane for no clear reason except apparently being a fundamentally bad person

Citation needed. (I don't actually want one.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Wife's out tonight so I'm gonna watch Pet Sematary. Is there a thread consensus on whether the original or remake is the better movie?

Just watch both.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got the second Dark Tower book for free from the pub so I guess now I either have to trade it (too much effort) or get the first one and read the whole series.

Oh well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Can't you just get it at a library?

I have never been able to return a library book on time and it's cost me a bunch of money.

Like, more money than a copy of the book costs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm like 700 years old and I will never listen to an audiobook until I go blind, and I consider e-books an American poo poo fad that I hate, like 3D-printing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I can read faster by myself than other people can read aloud, so audiobooks just tend to make me insanely impatient, and I hate reading books on a screen. I need some pages to flip or it just doesn't engage me the same way, most of the time, I will only read an "e-book"(what I presume sane people call a .PDF file?) if there's no other option.

Ur me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randal posted:

What if you could listen to DT read by Stephen King?

You know what, I have no idea what he sounds like.

But anyway I want trees to die.

And obviously I'm dumb as poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Drimble Wedge posted:

It's weird how people will respect phone scrolling as an important or private thing, but anyone reading a book is apparently begging to be given something else to focus on.

Maybe they just don't consider people who are scrolling their phones as anyone worth talking to :shrug:

e: Just remembered some wino asking me "is it any good?" on the bus, and because I hate people I just said "how the gently caress would I know, you can see I'm only on like page 50?" and he said "yeah" and didn't talk to me anymore. I see this as a win-win result.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ruddiger posted:

hell yeah way to shut down that vagabond looking for a shred of civility and human interaction

On the 42?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zadok Allen posted:

I really enjoyed Fairy Tale

I groaned out loud at King's "I'M GOING TO CRAM IN SOME UNDERAGE SEX AT THE LAST MINUTE LOL" shenanigans.

Otherwise I enjoyed it quite a bit when I realized it was, in fact, an old-fashioned fairy tale. Vast improvement over Billy Summers, anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larry Cum Free posted:

Kinda had to throw the kid a bone. He got his rear end kicked while saving a whole drat magical world that he doesn't get to go back to or take any gold out of. At least he got laid out of the whole ordeal.

Yeah yeah sure. But you know what I mean. The novel could have just not had it vOv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Larry Cum Free posted:

What really bugs me is although he doesn't exactly bring his dog back to life, he uses supernatural forces to vastly extend her life. Did we learn nothing from Pet Semetary??

And it isn't even a good boy!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I always get my sister the latest King as a present. Thinking of giving her this for her birthday: https://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/aarhus-a-city-of-statues-and-sculptures-9788743056034

(And obviously whatever the latest other Stephen King book is.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So King was an addict but I guess he never went for the booze, because he just wrote (well I just read, written by him) a habitual drunk downing two vodka drinks and feeling it like at least ten minutes later. SMHD.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Also he did his mom’s eulogy black-out drunk.

Oof. Was it good?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For those (fortunate) not in the know: black-out-drunk doesn't mean in any way intellectually impaired, just that you aren't retaining memories.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Two pages into "Thinner" and already a 14-year-old has the "sexy". Oh Richard...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loving hell I guess King never thought anyone who knew Swedish was ever going to read Thinner. It's really loving jarring.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Von Pluring posted:

What’s that?

I only read it in Swedish and that was a couple of decades ago so I can’t remember if that jarring thing made it through translation or not.

The "gypsies" speak gibberish Swedish written without the full alphabet.

quote:

'Enkelt av lakan och kanske alskade! Just det!'

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK "Thinner" really wasn't very good :(

I guess maybe "Running Man" next.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I like the little trick King pulls in Thinner of making you think Billy Halleck is a down-on-his-luck schmuck

I didn't think that at any point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cleuseau Remos posted:

My favorite part of the stand was when the kid lit the oil reservoir on fire and it exploded.

... well there may be parts I would like better but I never finished it.

That was Waterworld.