Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

joepinetree posted:

I got one credit on audible and am trying to decide:
Duma key, dolores clayborne, danse macabre, or something from Peter straub?

How about some Joe Hill instead? Literally any of them over those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Ditto. He seems to have all of dad's strengths, few of his weaknesses, and a lot less of his wordiness. Everything he's done I've liked, and "Pop Art" may be my favorite short story I've read in decades. Such a gently weird little story.

"Pop Art" is a masterpiece. It's easily the best story in a book full of good stories (20th Century Ghosts).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector 34 posted:

I think King is really excellent at portraying this particular concept. Nobody really talks too much about Needful Things, but the rotten small town thing was done well there too. I'd guess a majority of his stories include some variation on that theme.

DT4 even highlights our own obsession with the minutiae of other people's petty cruelties.

King is just good at small communities, period. In 11/22/63 he makes a nice small town, and it's just as full of little details as any of his rotten towns.

I've long felt that his greatest strength as a writer was his ability to paint a character in just a few words. At least once or twice a book I think "I know someone just like that!" The busybody, the overly-pious spinster, the nervous wreck, the shifty uncle...I've met them all. So have you.

Nevermind that, on the surface, they're rarely more than caricatures; each of those characters has a level realism and honesty that many authors can't capture in an entire novel. Hell, sometimes there are authors who can't capture that depth in a ten-book series.

King can do it in a paragraph. Consistently. He's a master at it.

On top of that, King is equally deft at weaving those quick characters together into a community, where each plays off the others to build the world in which the main narrative thrives.

In many novels, the bit characters are the pins to the pro/antagonists' bowling balls, thrown and tossed around in direct response to the main characters' actions. King often flips that around, where the main characters get knocked off their feet (sometimes literally) by the bit players. This makes those bit players seem more human, more real. Their actions directly influence the course of the main narrative, for reasons outside that story, because each of them has their own story.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cell is best described as a book in which each chapter is just a little worse than the one that came before.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I genuinely like the Dark Tower series (except Song of Susannah, because it's just awful). I even like the "real" ending that everyone else hates.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I may have noted this before, but one of the only King stories to truly freak me out and keep me awake (out of fright) was The Moving Finger. To this day I can't tell you why it affected me like that.

You and me both, buddy. It's one of the few King stories that genuinely hit that fear button.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That is bitchin'

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love King's sense of humor. :)

https://twitter.com/joe_hill/status/847449577921896448/photo/1

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I spent probably an hour talking about King's novels with my 13-year old yesterday. He saw my collection and was asking me all kinds of questions.

It's obvious he wants to read some of them.

What are your suggestions for the best King novel to start with for a 13-year-old boy?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Franchescanado posted:

Guys, it's 2017 and you're asking a dad to give his 13 year old son a 1200 pg novel from the 1980's that ends in a teenage gangbang.

Like, IT is great, but let's be realistic with what a modern teenager will like as a horror book coming from his dad.

Kid has the internet and is in middle school. I'm not worried about those few pages in an otherwise amazing book. He's probably seen worse, and certainly heard it.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 5, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ruin your son's life and get him to read The Dark Tower book 7 first.

Nah if I wanted to ruin his life I'd start with Dreamcatcher.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

Look, man, we don't want to have to call CPS, so don't even joke about that.

Nah if I wanted CPS involved I'd give him Song of Susannah

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We're going with IT. I wonder if he'll talk about the gangbang lol

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Doctor Sleep is a sequel that doesn't live up to its predecessor. It's good, not great.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The Dark Tower trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C0A2GpMNP8

idk I don't know what they're doing with this. Trailer doesn't really make me optimistic for a good movie

The exposition is clunky but everything else looks good. Roland is just a little more flashy than I'd like, but I don't mind it.

McConnahey (spelling?) is probably going to be great as the MiB.

I think the key thing to remember is that they're treating this as a different cycle. It's a good way to avoid the pitfalls of most book-to-film adaptations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tom Guycot posted:

Wait, they're seriously trying to do it all as one movie? I thought this was them trying to start a franchise of films, like, I was always under the impression this was literally just going to be the gunslinger basically, and then if it made money they'd get to do a whole harry potter thing with the series. What the hell was the rumored tv-show even supposed to be as well then? Was the tv show going to be yet another cycle? Nothing about this project makes any sense now.

No, they're not trying to 'do it all' in one movie. They're taking some of the characters, themes, and ideas from the series as a whole and making a movie set in one of Roland's many adventures during his cyclical quest for the Tower.

Whether or not it ends up being good is anyone's guess, but I have far more hope for that approach than I would if they really did try to do it all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I liked Regulators :( It was so batshit it was hard not to

I do too. In fact, I like everything about Regulators except the literal poo poo ending.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pop Art is so bittersweet. It's my favorite.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oldpainless posted:

BEtween Revival and 11/22/63 which should I read?

11/22/63 is his best novel in years, probably since the accident.

I really like Revival myself, but some people hate the ending. (Shocker!)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Revival is haunting in its bleakness. I think it's great, because it builds a sense of dread in a way similar to that seen in Pet Sematary. There's this sense of inevitability throughout the whole thing.

But unlike Pet Sematary, which ratchets up the tension throughout, Revival hordes the revelation until the very end. Revival meanders, never too far, but it certainly lets you relax and think that maybe, this time, everything will be okay.

I think 11/22/63 is better overall, but the last few chapters of Revival haunt me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mrs Carmody is, if anything, worse in the book. She is a vile, hateful woman.

The ending is slightly different too. Instead of (movie) being rescued after shooting everyone else, he's (book) left alone in the mist with the equivalent of a fade to black .

Both endings are bleak as hell, with the movie's ending more of a personal gut punch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

I realize that it is an accurate description of the mechanism but literally no one calls them that

I guess I'm literally no one, because I don't know of any other term for them?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oxxidation posted:

the tommyknockers is one king novel that sticks the landing

it's also one of his best books despite his insistence to the contrary

I love The Tommyknockers, but even I feel the middle act is a huge slog.

The ending is perfect. All the little interludes in the town are great. Old man Brown is a badass.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

No one ever says their first King book was Tommyknockers because if you read Tommyknockers first you never read another King book.

It was actually my first King book. Borrowed it from my uncle.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Man, who would have thought. I read Tommyknockers at the height of my high school King fanboy period and it just slammed the brakes on that. It was a decade before I picked up another one of his books.

But my biggest Stephen King disappointment ever was Shawshank Redemption. It was really boring compared to the movie.

I loved all the crazy gadget stuff. I also lived in a small town, not much bigger than Haven, surrounded by lots of rural farms, much like Haven. The names were different, but I could picture almost every single person in the book as someone from my hometown. It was that, even more than the weird gadgets, that sold me on the book.

To this day I feel that King is the undisputed master at creating fictional small-town communities.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Chris Pratt as Wolf.

But fat Chris Pratt, not fit one.

Now I want to see were-Pratt shredding people at the Sunlight Home.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

given what we know about Pratt's church, he'd probably work better as Sunlight Gardner instead

Is he some kind of weird fundamentalist now? I haven't heard anything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

escape artist posted:

Insomnia is his worst in my opinion, and it takes the title for longest book I've finished despite hating, at 700+ pages.

The little bald men reveals turned out to be so lame, anticlimactic. And the narrator just whined about dead his wife the whole time.

Song of Susannah was embarrassingly bad. I actually liked Wolves of Calla because it was just Seven Samurai. Dark Tower of course is polarizing.

Rose Madder was rough.

Agreed. I hated Insomnia. Boring and goes nowhere.

Song of Suannah is indeed the worst Dark Tower novel. I've re-read the series a couple times since it finished, and I just skipped Song the second time. It's so abd.

People like to rank the series, and while I have my own opinions, I'm generally happy any time someone has the first four books at the top in any order, followed by five and seven in either order, and six dead last.

My own personal ranking is 3(Wasteland), 1(Gunslinger), 4(Wizard/Glass), 2(Drawing), 5(Wolves), 7(Dark Tower), 6(Song).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

syscall girl posted:

It occurs to me I barely recall any of The Regulators :thunk:

I know almost everyone hates The Regulators, but it's honestly one of my favorite King books. It's so loving weird.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oldpainless posted:

Someone never read The Regulators

I get why so many people dislike The Regulators, but I find its sheer unabashed weirdness compelling. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A child's bowel movement is part of the course of defeating the evil thing. You can't get any more guilty than that.

Eh, I'm able to compartmentalize that kind of thing. Sure, it's dumb. Sure, the book would be better without it. But it doesn't ruin the entire rest of the work.

I just roll my eyes and move on.

I feel that's sort of the key to being a King fan: accepting that sometime's he's weird as gently caress for no good reason, rolling your eyes, and getting back to the good parts.