Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah words do mean things, and those words mean that there is an inner green space and probably some walking paths. It doesn't matter how you feel about it, this is pretty normal phrasing for townhome advertisements and doesn't say anything about the people living there

Sorry I agree with the other poster. The phrasing is pretty sanctimonious, and saying you’ll “hide cars away” or whatever, is kinda telling that if you don’t conform to how they want you and your possessions to be organized, it might be a bear to live there. Hence the wariness about HOAs organized in this way.

If you’re just advertising copious green space,
you can advertise copious green space, without making it sound like you’re taking a moral stand about how people should or should not live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Inspections have passed! We're committed now, folks. :supaburn:

Hardest part of this, mentally anyway, is gonna be moving my 11-year-old, 70-pound puppy across the country. Way too big to fit in a carryon, which means he has to go in the cargo hold :(

I’ve never done this with a doggo. Hope they allow some toys and treats to keep him comfortable ish. I don’t think he’ll mind a ton once he sees you on the other side. Would be curious on a trip report.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

The biggest issue I've ever had with Uhaul is the lovely little shops that they use for their retail front. It's a whole lot of sketchy owner of a gas station running a side hustle kind of thing and the variability in service can be HUGE. We have a hard and fast rule now to schedule the pick up at least a day before we need to be loading it just to deal with bullshit.

U-Haul is largely a franchise business, probably ~90% franchises vs. corporate owned. It's an interesting application of the franchise model. So those shops you see as the retail front probably own the shop and have a franchise agreement.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never seen it myself, but that's the kind of thing where you refuse the truck on safety grounds and have them source you another one. Which, yes, is going to be a giant pain in the dick and might involve you going a few hours out of your way to pick a new one up. And that circles back to my advice to always give yourself one extra day of rental, at a minimum, before you need to be loading and leaving to sort out any dumb bullshit.

Plus if you don’t drive the truck much that day, the daily rental fee is the loss leader anyway.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's also pretty much a guarantee that the replacement units they give you will be the lowest tier of rental grade bullshit.

The 20 year old dishwasher from my PO started leaking from the tub onto the floor, and needed to be replaced. Home Warranty of America (garbage company) gave me like $100, lol. I happily bought a Bosch 300. If I could not afford a nicer unit like the 300, I would have been pissed, but I knew the warranty was garbage.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

phosdex posted:

I understand there are situations where they aren't allowed to say one way or another, but basically "anything could happen to your insurance rates" is not helpful.

Right now, I only know that it was a roof leak and my agent got me the disclosure statements and that came with the insurance receipts.

Do you have a real estate attorney or is one customary in your market? At this stage in the offer, they can typically advise on how to negotiate to receive a CLUE report for the property, and/or a decrease in purchase price of the property.

Since you have an executed sales agreement, an insurance agent may be able to get a copy of the CLUE report for you if for some reason the house owners are unwilling to provide one, or you don't want to ask for negotiation reasons.

You can probably just... get insurance quotes for the property and compare them. The insurance estimates on websites such as Redfin will not be accurate since they will assume a clean CLUE.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 7, 2024

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

phosdex posted:

Sorry I don't have an agreement or offer or anything on that place right now. Was just wondering what kinda things to be aware of if I did buy a place that had prior water damage. And I didn't know for sure, but suspected that insurance claims on a house even by POs might affect future owners.

If I go further forward with that place I'll see if my current insurance company will give me some estimates.

Oh gotcha, yep that is bog standard for How House/Condo Insurance Works. I guess House/Condo losses for the specific address are strongly tied to the premium underwriting. Similar to an accident history following a driver on car insurance across insurance companies. But one flood loss shouldn't be too bad. As with many things it's going to be an It Depends situation. You can repair a house badly like you can repair a car badly, and the only way to know how it was done is to see photo evidence or tear 'er open. And the offer price should be substantially below market, with an appropriate adjustment for the loss history/disclosures.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 7, 2024

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I used a Buyer's Agent from Redfin, it was a good experience. It was pretty low key and I did most of the searching. There should be more variation in pricing for that service like anything else, without a dumb floor to the price like a cartel, idk really why it was tolerated in law for so long. But we do know why generally -- :20bux:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

awkward_turtle posted:

Greenville, NC

The place I only know as the home of Mr. Beast's empire

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

:justpost:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Sunken dens were a thing in the 70s I thought, it's like an indoor swimming pool but exclusively for loads

I deem that this masterful description has been underappreciated by the thread

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had funky poo poo go on with google voice a while ago (like ten years ago - maybe they fixed it in the mean time) that made me not trust it for calls I actually need to be sure I get. Crap like calls silently not forwarding and then not getting the notification of the missed call for hours.

Again, maybe they've fixed it since then. I dunno. It was just a bad experience when I was doing some job applications and I can't really trust them with things that I 100% need to know I'm getting any more.

This has been fixed, haven't run into this issue before, though I'm not a daily user.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Uthor posted:

Sure, but it also got her to convince me to get a deep check of the foundation after she felt some moisture on the basement carpet.

Foundation is fine.

Turns out water is coming down the stairs from the outside and I need to deal with that. :(

drat, the foot check yielded real results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Got an offer accepted!

Now to see what horrors the inspection finds and construct the mortgage lender Loan Estimate thunderdome!

:rip: