Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
TBH you don't even need the peace GUI, the configuration editor that Equalizer APO ships with is easy to use enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So... where are they getting those cheap keys from? Its always felt a little sketchy to me tbh

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Cool Dad posted:

What should I be using as a PDF reader? I'd be fine with Adobe garbage if it would open up in reading mode and hide all the sidebar poo poo until I ask for it. Sumatra has good rendering but a terrible UI. Last I heard Foxit was full of spyware and bloat these days. What is left?

Sumatra has a... barebones UI? How often are you really doing much else than scrolling and panning around a PDF though?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

neurotech posted:

I've been tasked with making a looping photo slideshow for a funeral & wake next week. I want a tool that will let me import photos and video clips, add a standard crossfade transition between each piece of media, and then render out to a MP4.

Does anyone know of a good, simple, non-poo poo, non-predatory tool for Windows that will make this a simple process? Something free, if possible.

Which Windows version are you on? Windows 11 comes with ClipChamp which should be able to handle something like that easily. Only annoying thing is it requires you to login with your Microsoft account IIRC but very usable otherwise.

edit: you can probably just install it on Win 10 as well from the Store if needed

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I've been using Edge very happily for over a year now. Under the hood, it's more or less the same as Chrome, with some extra nifty features which are, of course, optimized for Windows. All of the bloat-y stuff like the coupon finder and new Bing Discover tab thing as mentioned above can be turned off easily. Although I've gotta say, Bing's AI chatbot can do some impressive stuff and I love throwing some questions at it that I'm feeling too lazy to search up for myself. Bing search itself is still a solid tier below Google's; I find myself having to repaste my search into Google often enough to be annoying. Once I cash out my Microsoft rewards points for an Amazon giftcard or something I'm going to go back to default Google search. That's right, Bing is bad enough compared to Google that they literally can't even pay me to use it :laffo:

Regarding adblock, my hot take here is that modern ads are just not that annoying on any half-decent website, the type worth using in the first place. I haven't run an adblock in years and have been fine. Only exception to this are streaming sites like YouTube and Twitch but those have their own premium programs for getting rid of ads. Traffic ain't free and all that.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

They also missed pretty basic opportunities like unzipping an archive opening the decompressed files in a new tab instead of a new window. Sigh.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I just do clean installs. Makes me feel fuzzy on the inside that things are fresh fresh. Also anecdotally it has helped with some driver and behavioral weirdness when upgrading Win 11 versions.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Is there a better resource for learning how Windows works under the hood than the Windows Internals series of books?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Thanks Ants posted:

I just wish Microsoft would be content with their $72bn net income each year and not sell advertising into the OS I use. I don't want to open an app to see what the weather is going to do and get a face full of headlines from Murdoch rags bashing migrants and trans people.

I think this is just the future of software-as-a-service, for better or for worse. Windows is basically being given away for free, it's pretty clear the strategy of Microsoft is to get it on as many machines as possible. For those of us who don't mind tinkering a bit with things, it's not a bad deal. We get good to high quality software for a low to zero price, with the drawback of needing to do all we can to get rid of the (free-to-use) annoyances. It's similar to the direction that video games are going, for example.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

FWIW I did this starting a year ago and have had a really good time.

I set things up so I could either dual-boot or run my old windows in a VM. I've not rebooted into to windows for a year, and the most frequent reason I fire up the VM is to troubleshoot other people's windows problems.

Do you game?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

NotNut posted:

Wait, seriously? So if I have four documents open in Notepad, now I have to click twice instead of once to get to one from the task bar? Do they at least not combine if there's ample space?
No, hover over the notepad group and then click once on the one you want. It's really not that bad, not sure what the big fuss is about.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

My Windows 11 machine will very occasionally like every 3-4 weeks blue screen and then reboot into UEFI while not being able to find my M.2 drive. Power cycling the machine fixes it and gets me back to the desktop. That sounds like a power issue most likely, right?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

No, I would say #1 culprit the M.2 drive, #2 the OS / drivers / software, #3 the mobo, #4 other hardware including power supply.

I would get the software from whichever company makes your SSD (Samsung Magician, WD SSD Dashboard, etc) and check for:
* drive health
* firmware updates
Also look for mobo bios updates, followed by OS reinstall if none of the above pan out.

A blue screen is not immediately suggestive of PSU problems. After all, the computer is still able to successfully display a blue screen, meaning it still has usable power. Full hard reboots or complete power-offs are the reasons to look at the PSU as the first thing to swap out.

However, bad PSUs can have all manner of symptoms so it's also not ruling it out. A PSU swap is one of the things I'll try any time where I'm stumped by everything else turning up blank.

It's a TeamGroup MP33 and as far as I can tell S.M.A.R.T is giving no indications (checked with TeamGroup's own utility) and I don't see any mention of new firmware. My mobo is on latest firmware and has been forever. In UEFI I've only changed RAM timings, fan curves, and some sleep power settings to keep USB power off during hibernate. Drive read and write rates look normal. I guess it's time to reinstall OS and hope that I see improvement.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Really not sure which thread this question should go in, but here:

I'm looking for some sort of software that will automatically change the refresh rate of my monitor when I launch certain applications - I thought this would be a fairly simple thing, but I cannot find a straight answer on google.

Use case is, knocking my 144hz monitor back down to 60hz for certain games. I have a gigabyte m32qc monitor, and AMD RX580 (soon to by 6700XT whenever I get around to putting it in my PC) if that makes a difference.

I also wonder why you want to do that?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

NotNut posted:

Is there a way to see your most recently added apps in Windows 10?

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but Apps and features -> Sort by install date

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Tesseraction posted:

You will enjoy your load times as they will remind you of the finite nature of existence. No longer will you take for granted the speed that was granted to you by prior Windows iterations. You will kneel, peasant, and obey.

We have reached the limit of how many electrons we can fit down a wire to the point where, they slow down to a light jog.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Tapedump posted:

The new Photos app in Win10 (maybe 11, too)... are pictures supposed to open up in a separate instance window now?

For that matter, the Legacy Photos app... didn't it use to go back to the photo wall when you hit ESC? Now when a photo opens, you've only got the ability to go to the prev/next picture and no way back to the photo wall except to reopen the program.

These are recent changes, right?

Yes I believe so, I've noticed the same thing

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So Dave Plummer, the Microsoft employee who wrote Task Manager, recently upload a video showing off the original source code from the XP days which he acquired with permission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGD94lSor8

Now I'm no expert programmer, but several of the things he talks about seem quite "hacky" to me. Also, disturbingly, it seems like he worked on it almost entirely alone? As someone who is quite sensitive to computer performance and design decisions it surprised me/somewhat affirmed my fears that many of the routine things Windows does are hardly optimized and cobbled together, even when it comes to critical pieces of the OS such as Task Manager. Do software engineers not talk amongst each other about best practices, especially when it comes to critical tools and methods which will be run millions of times around the world daily? I know that nothing is perfect and that this was many years ago, but I'm basically disturbed by this.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

What specifically do you have a problem with?

Nothing. Maybe it's some kind of OCD, maybe it's a desire to learn how computers work at the lowest levels. Maybe it's a frustration that the world isn't as "perfect" as I want it to be or as I wish it were.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

not sure if chocolatethunder is laughing at the same thing I am, but...

If you are googling when troubleshooting a weird problem, and in results you see a thread on microsoft answers where someone has the same symptoms, the next thing you will see is somebody instantly replying with:

and it never loving works. So if dism+sfc actually fixed something, that would be pretty funny.

(I think the guys telling everyone to do dism+sfc are trying to get points for Microsoft "MVP" awards as resume fodder. Dism+sfc is basically "look at all the OS system files, replace any that are corrupt / missing". So it's perfectly safe, but most of the time useless-- your system files probably aren't missing. The MVP guys disappear after saying dism+sfc, so a lot of threads in microsoft answers are that, followed by "it didn't work", followed by crickets.)

That's actually so funny and I've seen it several times now that I think about it.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Not at a Windows PC right now but check out Settings->System->Multitasking, I think it might be in there.

Yes it's in there you can turn it off, from the drop down, something about grouping windows after snapping

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Blurb3947 posted:

Steam, Spotify, iTunes, VLC, Firefox, Discord, Greenshot, Foxit Reader, Qbittorrent, WinDirStat, FileZilla, and Putty.

Sumatra is a nice no-nonsense PDF viewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Some motherboards/BIOSes offer a compatibility mode which will park the E cores temporarily. ASRock's for example is called Legacy Game Compatibility Mode and uses the Scroll Lock to park/un-park the E cores in real-time.