Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm looking for software for occasional file synchronizing/incremental backups of media, preferably free and similar to rsync. I already have cygwin installed so I could just use rsync itself but I've found that it doesn't handles Windows file permissions well, so native Windows software would be preferable. There's a huge list of options on wikipedia, so is anything particularly recommended from that list? Synkron and Unison look good, but they're not actively developed anymore. DirSyncPro, maybe? Is anything included in Windows 7 of any use?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

RoboCopy is worth checking out whether it can do what you want, I think. I use SyncBack Free myself because I'm a huge wuss who needs a gui to set up detailed scheduled sync jobs.

Hey, I don't mind a GUI... actually I ended up trying DirSync Pro in the meantime and it works pretty well. The GUI and documentation aren't especially intuitive but the default mirroring option did the job.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

blowfish posted:

Windows 7 (or 8.1) search is good. How they managed to gently caress it up is beyond me. Then again, it probably wasn't ~integrated~ and ~networked~ enough or something and anyway let's find a way to pretend people actually use bing and cortana and allocate 200 developers to remaking search :v:

Wait, windows 7 search is supposed to be good? I can never find the files I'm looking for with it and it's outrageously slow even searching an ssd. Outlook search is just as bad, so much so that I'm strongly considering ditching outlook permanently for Opera mail, despite having a couple of Office licenses.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

No, it sucks balls. I'm not sure why it's suddenly loved, since at launch it was one of the most complained about. Since they cut down the UI for it (as I posted about before), you have to learn Windows Advanced Query Syntax. Probably still won't find the thing you wanted, anyway.

Oops, I should have finished reading that page before posting. Does it even make a difference if you index search locations or not? I vaguely recall that when SSDs were in their infancy, it was suggested that you not bother indexing them at all, although that might have just been paranoia over limited write cycles.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to stop Explorer from being absolute poo poo at searching for files on Windows 7?

I'm lucky if it finds maybe 1/5 of the files or folders that I'm looking for, even when I match the full word, case, etc.

Indexing is on for the relevant folders.

One caveat, I use Google Drive on those folders as well, so IDK if that could be loving around with the indexing.

I asked about this a few pages ago and there were some interesting replies but I never found a solution, so it's probably just completely hosed. You could try disabling indexing and it might find more things or likely nothing at all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I mostly answered my own question, but I have a 4k 27" next to a 1440p 27" monitor. Is there a neat way to get the mouse to cross between them at approximately the same physical location? By default the edges are not DPI-aware and the transition is 1:1 in pixels only.

The solution I found is this package on github, and while it seems to work and not contain anything obviously malicious, I'm open to alternatives.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

Does it have to be automatic? Can you just drag the monitor boxes to the right alignment in display settings?

No, that doesn't help. They're different resolutions so there's no way to line up the lower-resolution one to align with the higher.

If I set them up like that, moving the mouse from the left display where the arrow is pointed to the right just doesn't work. Shifting the right screen (#1) lower just creates the same problem at the top of the left screen. The Nvidia Control Panel shows the same thing. The LittleBigMouse app I linked has much niftier configuration settings:

The only minor issue is that I think they're both actually 27" physically, even though the bezels are annoyingly different, but I can live with a .2" misalignment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've had to digitally sign two fillable PDFs recently by filling them out in Acrobat Pro, cursing at it because it won't let me sign under any circumstances, using Microsoft print to PDF to save an unfillable copy, then signing that. Is this the fault of whoever created the form forgetting to make a fillable signature field or what? It still seems ludicrous that Acrobat won't let you sign the original.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you can get a command prompt, can you get an admin/elevated privileges prompt and do... something? Not clear on what you can/should do, I just have vague memories of using some hack to make the accessibility tool in the login screen start an elevated command prompt when I had a similar password issue (which gave me serious concerns about Windows security).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm on Windows 10 and seemingly every application that uses multiple simultaneous internet connections kills my network connection. It's mainly updates from Steam, Epic and GOG Galaxy in roughly that order of severity. I've found lots of complaints on this subject but no solution that's actually worked. This has happened with different routers & ISPs so Win10 is the only common thread. Is there any way to limit simultaneous downloads at least from network configuration, or...?

Steam is not as bad as the others, once it gets going it can max out gigabit ethernet but it severely slows down everything else, whereas with GOG Galaxy I can't get close to gigabit downloads and it drops connections entirely every 2-3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Not some kind of general windows problem. I would start by updating your motherboard drivers. I assume if you're normally wifi that you plugged in ethernet to test.

Computer viking posted:

Agreed, that's not a fundamental Windows problem. What sort of network card is this?

It's the onboard LAN (Realtek) on a venerable Asus H87M. I see the drivers were last updated in 2015 so I'll try that in case I didn't already install them earlier but am not holding out much hope.

I do have a TP-Link PCI card with 2020-vintage drivers, so I'll see if that behaves any differently.