Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What do you use china balls for? The only lighting I've ever done was with a couple desk lamps and some wax paper.

China balls are good sources of soft lighting. Really good for people's faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

Can anyone think of examples of work done where the camera is in a fish tank on a water line and it floats back and forth between the two, sort of like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiagpXBKt1Q

Yeah, the Omaha Beach sequence from "Saving Private Ryan".

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Any recommendations on shotgun microphones for a student? I guess I'm looking for something cheap, flexible and good quality. My camera's an XH A1 and has XLR ports as well as regular TRS mic inputs, so my options are pretty wide in that aspect. Something that can go between boom pole and camera mount would be handy as well, but I don't think most shotgun mics would complicate that.

What's your budget? You could go with a Rode NTG-1 or a Rode Videomic if your budget is less than $300.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

I was hoping for something a little less than that. The equipment cage has decent audio equipment, but I was just looking to become somewhat independent of that process until farther down the line. They only give out shure sm58's for first year students, and it's one day rental only.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for a decent deal on equipment.

The Rode Videomic is about $185, but that's not including shipping or sales tax. You could go lower by going with Azden. But holy poo poo, only SM58s for first years? That's ridiculous.

Rode Videomic Booming kit @ B&H

Where will the majority of filming be? If it's outside: shotguns. If it's inside: hypercardioid condensers.

I've heard these CAD CM217s are pretty decent for indoor dialogue recording on the cheap.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Why hypercardioid instead of a plain cardioid? Just for a slight bit of ambiance? I can't imagine the sound of the ceiling being particularly interesting otherwise.

Because C2V on DVXUser can explain it better than me, I'll just copy and paste his explanation:

C2V on DVXUser posted:

Shotgun mics reject almost everything that's off-axis. The one thing they cannot ignore, even from the sides, is bass spectrum. As that bounces around the room, it will muddy up the sound (whether the mic is next to the ceiling or not). Shotguns also have a small, narrow lobe of acceptance at 180º (to the rear of the element). This pulls in direct reflections that clog the signal and make everything sound hollow and "bathroomy" in highly reflective rooms. Basically, the same interference tube design that makes it reject so well outdoors is what pulls in too many acoustic problems indoors.

A hypercardioid also has a lobe of acceptance to the rear, but it's a slightly wider lobe. While it also will pull in secondary reflections, it's not trying (and failing) to reject most of them and it ends up with a much more "natural" sound in a reflective space. The tighter-than-a-standard-cardioid lobe to the front also helps isolate the dialog above the reflections of the room, while the off-axis rejection to the sides does keep many of the problems in the room at bay.

Shotguns will behave perfectly well indoors if the room is a pretty dead space, meaning lots of absorption from carpeting and furniture and wall/ceiling treatments. But that kind of space is very, very rare. You can also use shotguns in super-large places (sound stages, etc.). But for most of what film makers will incur for interiors (houses, apartments, offices) the hypercardioid is going to be a better choice.

quote:

Anyways, it'll probably be a mix of indoor and outdoor. I think a regular cardioid shotgun would work for most of what I want.

I was looking through B&H, and I think this MXL FR-304 might serve me well. I'm pretty sure the one negative review was some retard who forgot to turn on the phantom power. Used or improvised poles and shock mounts shouldn't be too difficult to find/make cheap(or so I hope).

That MXL looks fine, so go ahead, though I would still find something not-a-shotgun to use for interiors.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

In that vein, can someone recommend a budget not-shotgun for indoors? Right now we have an ME66/K6 combo as our main mic, with a Studio Projects B1 large diaphram condenser for VO work. Almost all of our work is indoors and most of that is in highly reflective environments. I don't need it to be self powered like the ME66/K6--we just got a fantastic deal on that combo.

What's the budget? You could go for an Oktava MK-12 hypercardioid condenser if you got roughly $300 bucks to spend.

If you want really budget, the link I posted to the CAD CM12s or whatever I hear are decent for indoor work.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

I've looked at those Oktava's before, but the reviews suggested they were super sensitive to handling noise and tricky to use on a boom. Any personal experience with em?

I've never handled them personally, though I would think that as long as you have it on a shock mount with a windshield, it should be fine.

You could go the route I did and get a Rode NT3, but that thing... loving christ, booming that poo poo is a nightmare. :argh:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

SquareDog posted:

Well like I said the highlights turn green right before they blow out

What lens are you using? That could be chromatic aberration coming from the lens rather than the sensor.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

exponentory posted:

Indeed! Here's at the same place on another day that my friend took: http://i.imgur.com/ObGnh.jpg
Some gnarly anamorphic glass right there, anybody know what kind it is?

Looks like a Hawk V Series anamorphic, I would guess 250mm.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Moon Potato posted:

Another interesting wrinkle in the digital cinema camera field:
http://www.kinefinity.com/index.html
http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2011/08/27/birtv-2011-chinas-answer-to-red-the-kinefinity-kineraw-s35-digital-cinema-camera-for-us8000/
The feature set and price point sound amazing - will this be China's emergence as a serious contender in the field, a shoddy product of wage slavery or vaporware?

Huh, I guess that's where the stolen REDs went.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Wow, what kind of rig (EVF and rail system) is that? I might put some money to a system like that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

A friend posted this on facebook. Fuckin' OUCH.

I hope they have insurance. :shepicide:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

the_lion posted:

Just curious, what stuff do you guys use to project gobos/fake light shapes?

I saw this light blaster thing this week for stills. http://petapixel.com/2013/07/10/light-blaster-uses-a-speedlight-and-lens-to-project-slides-onto-your-photos/

ETC Source4 Lekos/ellipsoidals since I work in a performing arts venue, though I've also used Dedolights on a few film sets.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

An actor I've worked with who does a lot amateur and student films is basically starting to hate pizza because on almost every set he'd been on for months the only food had been pizza.

That is absolutely horrible. Pizza should never be served on sets. In fact, it's considered a meal penealty on union shows.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I mostly just wanted to post that picture because holy poo poo that picture. new favorite website: http://shittyrigs.com

Quite a few of my friends have pictures on ShittyRigs. :lol:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I'll also recommend the T3i, nice little camera that shoots good images. If you have the know-how, you can buy old cheap theater fresnels and refurbish them for film use.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

https://vimeo.com/111403592
#lightmetersareforpussies

(search for the original at your own peril, it's bad.)

:laffo: I know quite a few guys like that. :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
RIP Haskell Wexler

RIP Vilmos Zsigmond

Dammit, two great cinematographers a week apart from each other. I didn't get a chance to meet Haskell but I got to meet Vilmos last year at the ASC Clubhouse because one of my cinematography professors introduced me to him. He was such a kind and soft spoken man.

:smith:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

1) Do you have a microphone recommendation for shooting documentaries?

Cheap side? Probably a Rode NTG-2 or NTG-3. Don't bother with Azden shotgun mics, they're terrible. And don't bother with the Audio Technica AT-897, low output and noisy.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

2) How big an improvement is the preamp on an H1 / H4n vs plugging right into the 5D? I use a shoulder rig but I really dont want to have to carry around another piece of equipment if I dont have to.

The preamps in the 5D suck pretty bad, almost anything else is going to be an improvement. You can always keep a Zoom recorder in your pocket so it wouldn't be too much more to carry.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

melon cat posted:

A lighting question. I'm being cheap, and want to use china balls/paper lanterns for my lighting (thanks to forum user Armagnac for suggesting this).

Is there any way to (safely) incorporate a dimming mechanism into this type of lighting setup? I found this Filmriot Youtube video on DIYing a dimmer, but have no idea if it's suited for paper lantern lighting setups.

Router speed control

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

melon cat posted:

I was thinking of getting the Sony a6300 for this reason. But then I watched this video and I'm nearly convinced that I'd be better off getting a C100. I've run into overheating issue with Sony DSLRs, and dislike the fact that I can't really record continuously without having the camera turn itself off.

Am I crazy for considering this? Or can I just hook up an Atomos Ninja Assassin to the a6300 to help it overcome its running/overheating limitations?

Here's an article about using the a6300 with the Atomos Shogun. Don't know if it's a great counter to getting a C100, but depending on what you're planning on shooting and the budget you have for purchasing equipment, you might want to hold off on buying a C100.

EDIT:

Also in other news, Sigma just entered the game with their new Cine Lens line. If they end up being cheaper than Rokinon's Xeen line, I might just have to buy myself the prime set.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 8, 2016

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
A friend of mine shot with the UM4.6 recently and he liked it quite a bit. He shot a night interior at 400 ISO and it looked pretty good. I personally haven't shot with it but I've been doing research since it's one of the cameras I've been thinking about buying as an owner-operator and the majority of information I've gathered is this:

-It's not a low light camera, exposure tests I've seen where if you have a properly exposed gray card, it's actually a stop under, so expose to the right
-It's good to shoot between 200-800 ISO but 1600 is possibly unusable, though the new 4.2 firmware adds black shading and I've heard it improves 1600 a lot
-The dynamic range is actually quite a bit narrower than the 15 stops Blackmagic Design advertises (which is pretty standard)
-Still has problems with fixed pattern noise, though firmware 4.2 supposedly cleans a lot of this; black shading in 4.2 also helps get rid of blue channel noise in underexposed areas in 1600 ISO
-The sensor has weird issues with lenses that aren't telecentric, which causes uneven magenta patches in the corners (and I've heard in the center of the image also); units with later serial numbers apparently don't suffer as much from this as early units
-There's an issue with the manner of how images are debayered, causing a crosshatch pattern. Apparently it happens in camera when shooting ProRes, but if you import RAW footage into Resolve, it doesn't have the crosshatch issue (though it apparently happens if you import RAW footage into other programs like Premiere CC, FCPX)
-Audio preamps are pretty crappy, low SNR

Uh, this is the main stuff I think. There might be something I'm forgetting but this is the main issues that have been brought up.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 22, 2017

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Not the cheapest but B&H's house brand Impact has great C-stands since they're just rebranded Avenger stands.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Just keep on the look out for rental houses that are going out of business. They'll do a fire sale of all their equipment and you can buy whatever for pretty good prices.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

keyframe posted:

Another question if you guys don't mind. I just picked up a used 7" BM assist 4k monitor/recorder. Looking for a good magic arm to mount it on. Any brand recommendations? Don't want to get something lovely and have the monitor wobble/fall off.

The gold standard is Noga, though I've heard really good things about Bright Tangerine's Titan Arm.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
It's probably not a new camera, it's probably the 4.6k turret for the Ursa Major.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 2, 2017

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Holy poo poo, spank my rear end and call me Deakins. :aaa:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

keyframe posted:

Mine shipped just now! :v:

Got everything minus the cfast card in preparation. I think I will stick with sd cards until NAB where they hopefully announce the price and release date of the SSD attachment. I can't get myself to pay for the stupid expensive cfast cards.

Let us know how the Ursa Mini Pro turns out.

(especially me because I'm thinking about buying one)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Any issues with fixed pattern noise?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Hey powder and keyframe, any further words about the Ursa Mini Pro since you guys have had it for like 2 months now?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

We love ours. That is all! Seriously it's pretty. We have some ongoing projects we've shot with it that are pretty sweet. I'll post them once complete (they're kinda boring University stuff but they show it off pretty well).

Seriously great investment.

Yeah, I got to play with it at NAB last month and I really liked the controls and the image quality. It's definitely pushed me towards getting one myself, but I'm really trying to make sure that the investment is really going to be worth (and not give me FPN or magenta headaches) and that I actually have the money for it if I do end up buying a set of Sigma cinema primes.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

keyframe posted:

Quite enjoying mine as well. I ended up buying the blackmagic EVF which made shooting handheld and out in the sun a much more enjoyable thing.

My only gripe is weight. Fucker is heavy when fully kitted out but at least it got me going back to the gym lifting weights on a regular basis so I can shoot with it for more than 10 minutes without my shoulder and arm getting tired. :v:

I'm used to lifting F65s and Alexas so the UMP isn't a problem.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

keyframe posted:

Guys can I get some lighting gear advice to buy/rent

I will be shooting some real estate promo videos in the near future. All I have for lighting is a bounce card and a small led light. Want to build a dependable lighting kit that won't break the bank and rent the heavy duty expensive stuff when I need it. Any suggestions?

What's your budget for purchases?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

keyframe posted:

1000-1500$ for lighting.

You can either buy a bunch of used tungsten units, or buy a few of the new cheaper slightly questionable LED units like Dracast.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Frogfingers posted:

Just go down to a hardware/auto store and get some LED worklights, even if its just to trial them and make sure there's no strobing. Always test just how cheap you can get away with.

Before you go out and do this, keyframe, I'll put in my two cents on this: most consumer LED worklights and LED bulbs aren't really designed with a high enough frequency to prevent strobing or pulsing, or designed for accurate color rendition, so be wary of going this route. I've done it before for lighting narrative shorts and I regretted the decision because I got a poo poo ton of pulsing in the form of a slow rolling bar moving vertically in my shots, and the color for the tungsten bulbs I was using were awful. It might be different now but I would at least be wary of that.

Another thing I would warn against going with the really cheap route is the fact that keyframe stated he was going to be getting the equipment for real estate promo videos. If there's anything that kills your career in corporate video, it's looking massively unprofessional on set in front of your clients.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Got a new Ursa Mini Pro from Blackmagic after sending ours in for FPN and this camera doesn't seem much different in that regard to me. With my sample size of 2 I feel like 1600 ISO isn't super useable. It sucks because the non-fixed pattern noise is totally fine.

Yeah, getting one without FPN is a bit of a crap shoot. The new black shading thing doesn't really help since I don't think it's meant to help with FPN but with equalizing the signals between the RGB channels. :(

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

the_lion posted:

Everyone keeps telling me that the blackmagic pocket camera is really good. I saw Matt Scott said he cut stuff with other, more expensive cameras and it still held up.

I'm thinking of getting on to chuck on my gimbal (came TV single) but then I saw that the micro cinema is basically the same sensor but it also does 60 frames a second.

Any opinions on the two cameras? Obviously, I'm going to have to shell money for batteries, an IR filter and maybe battery plate but just curious for any stories of working with either camera. I know they both probably need a monitor, no big deal.

Edit: it's mostly for fashion clients and narrative work, if that's important info.

While I've never used it, by and large it's pretty similar to the Pocket, which gives pretty fantastic images. It seems that BMD designed it to be a better version of the Pocket since it addresses some of the bigger complaints about the Pocket, like the form factor and battery. I think the best thing you're buying with BM cameras is their color science, absolutely wonderful stuff unlike RED where their color science doesn't match their sensor.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
The issue with Slog is that what Sony tells you is the ISO is complete bullshit. We did camera tests over at my school with the F5 with raw and we found that despite the 'native' ISO of 2000, it's really more around 800-1250.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

keyframe posted:

On the A7S2 it disables any iso setting below 1600 iso when shooting slog.

Wonder if there is a a7s2 settings crash course on lynda.com or something.

Meter for 800 then. At least when you work in raw, changing the ISO doesn't do anything except change the monitor output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I got to play around with a Canon C700 today... uh, wow, that is an amazing camera. :hawaaaafap: