Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Had the U-joints and ball joints replaced on my truck last week so I could drive it to and from the SAE Supermileage competition for my school. 1500 miles: from West Haven, CT to Marshall, MI and back again, in a 20 year old F-150 carrying our vehicle. My truck also served as the work bench as well as transport.

The day after I got back I used it in a TSD Rally and actually made the last checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

enziarro posted:

Congrats on this, I got a new job about a month ago and couldn't make it up. I seem to make it to like 15% of those drat things, it sucks. My navigator got a wagon of his own, if we manage to make it to the Turkey Tour we might end up switching duties or something.

There's supposed to be another this summer. They're trying to do more rallies.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Did the rear brakes on my truck, probably the first time in 20 years, also replaced the fan clutch and put on a new passenger side mirror.

I don't think that seal is supposed to be out like that.

$75 from Ford, the $15 NAPA one didn't stay where it was put.

Bought a Battery charger.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Put new rear coil springs on my LTD. I've never done this before and I was surprised how easy it was. This took 10 minutes.

Also cleaned the dead hookers out of my trunk.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Strabo4 posted:

Anyone have any idea where to get some new hood or door hinges? I've tried ebay and did a few half-hearted google searches and asked all American classics but no dice. I'm in NW Washington if it matters.

Awesome car, I have a 70' LTD as well. Mine is a convertible with the 429. So far everything I've bought for it I was able to get at regular parts stores. But I haven't done any body work yet so I don't know if that will work for something like a hinge. This is the pain in the rear end part about buying a car that doesn't have a following like the Mustang where you can build a new car from aftermarket parts.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Replaced the rusted leaking 19 gallon side tank on my truck with a new plastic tank.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Barn Owl posted:

This tiny hose split when I started up my truck. Only took an hour and a half to get the parts and wrestle my gorilla mitts between the intake manifold, dizzy EGR (or vacuum thing I don't know), heater core plumbing, and circulatory pump. 3" of hose with one inch gap between the nipples.

Ford 429 or 460?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Not done today but I got a Thule roof rack and bike carrier for Christmas. Too cold to go mountain biking but I did use it to bring a folding table to a friend's house so we could play beer pong on New Years Eve.

Today My dad and I fixed what forgot to do: let me turn traction control off. Well "fix", it's accomplished by splicing into an ABS sensor and adding a switch to shut it off. This makes the car think something is broken so it shuts the whole system of so no ABS, traction control or stability. Not ideal but great for not getting stuck in the snow and loving around in parking lots.

And something a pothole did last night. This is why I got steelies for my winter tires.

The rim appears to be the only damage, already ordered a new one. Looks like the tire survived but it won't hold more than 27psi without leaking past the bead. I put my all-seasons back on for now, lucky this happened on an unusually warm week.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The rim is just sitting in my garage so I'll give bending it back a try. I've seen people try it and the leak doesn't go away. For under $100 I figured I would play it safe and get a new rim.

For the ABS wire the suggestions I found said to use speaker wire. If I have an issue I'll know where to look. It works normally right now.

Another thing I did today. If I had managed to do it earlier I may have gotten 44F too.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

As an ME who only finished school in August and is still working as an intern, electronics are more or less magic but hey I got a C in circuits. It seems like a lot of wiring people do only goes as far as "It works right now? Good enough." while creating a rats nest of wires.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Galler posted:

I'm not sure where that switch ends up relative to your seating position but it looks like it could possibly get a little :ese: in an accident. Might want to swap it out for a covered toggle switch because it looks awesome might be safer.

I specifically put there so it wouldn't get all stabby. My first idea was to put it on the panel below the steering column then I looked at it and remembered there's an airbag behind that one :downs. If it was in view on the dash I would have gotten a covered one.

Root Bear posted:

I miss those days, did this to mine a few months ago:

Where does the time go... :unsmith:

Only 400k to go!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

My mom is a slut posted:

The price was right :shobon:

How much did they pay you to take it away?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

gently caress, this poo poo happened again to the same wheel.

SFH1989 posted:

And something a pothole did last night. This is why I got steelies for my winter tires.

But it's not as bad this time, not leaking, so I'm just taking this advice:

Fucknag posted:

Man, it's a steelie, if it held air I'd have hammered that lip back out and kept on driving. :v:

gently caress it these wheels are only going to be on for about a month more anyway. Steel wheels continue to be the best choice for the winter.

My mom is a slut posted:

I don't really know if the 305 is temporary or not at this point. I'm very much learning as I go along, being guided along by a guy who has done swaps like this before, albeit 20+ years ago into old Datsuns. The RX is pretty light so I still think it will be tons of fun. Hell, it was plenty enjoyable with the 12a. Point taken about the transferable parts at any rate. In the next couple of nights we will have it for reals mounted in place, and be able to see exactly what kind of headers I can get away with.

As far as heads and cams go, I have no clue how to what I should be looking for that would suit the application, much less what would also be suitable in a later 350.

350's are cheap and everywhere so spending the time on parts that you can swap will pay off later. You should have no problem finding one in the future for a reasonable price.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

DropShadow posted:

Owner of that 918 has two more on the way. Also owns a P1, Aventador, and a whole bunch of other amazing metal.

I want to be that rich.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I got a class 3 Draw-Tite hitch and Thule bike rack for my Challenger for Christmas.

Looking forward to spring now, I haven't really ridden since I moved to NH.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Swapped my summer tires on and tried out my new hitch carrier. I rides lower than I thought it would but it still works well. Not comfortable putting all 220lbs+ of tire on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

If I could put a roof rack on it (that's not just suction cups) I would 100% have it on there already. It looks worse in the picture because the front wheel are still on the ramps I use to get the jack under it.

They're 18" Moda MD14s I bought off craigslist from another Challenger owner. I really wish the police charger steelies fit but they don't clear in the front without a 20mm or so spacer.