Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

CA has one of these threads and I rather like it, so maybe we can make one work in here. Post your day-to-day changes to your cars that don't warrant a thread of their own!

About a month ago I got a Borla stainelss steel catback for my RX7, and the OEM hangers were a little too small. I don't have a picture of what it looked like, but it was mashed against the bumper and slightly lopsided because putting one side on before the other pulled that side's hanger tight enough that I couldn't get the front hanger on the other side. I ended up leaving the front hanger off the other one.

After lovely weather and several weekends of :effort:, I finally rehung it yesterday using longer generic hangers I got from Canadian Tire :canada: As you can see it's symmetrical and there is a healthy gap between the tips and the bumper. Joy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I got new tires and an alignment, no more steering wheel vibration at 100+kph :toot:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

kill me now posted:

To mount an enormous power steering fluid cooler so i don't blow mine out at the track again

This looks extremely badass and I don't believe I've ever seen one before.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I ripped a chunk out of the side of my thermostat housing and need a new one. :( On the upside, I have a line on a used metal one for cheap instead of another lovely plastic one.

I'd load an image but waffleimages is down. I'll edit one in if I remember

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Stared at the location of the block coolant plug perplexedly for a while before going to the gym. Tuesday I actually drained and flushed the rad...then stared at the block drain plug for a while. How the hell are you supposed to get this thing out? :argh:

Click here for the full 910x650 image.

The engine mount is right beneath it so I can't get at it from the bottom, and I can't read it from the top. What the hell?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I ordered a couple relays that will replace the ones which commonly go bad on FC RX7 wiper switches, should take 4-6 weeks to get here and then I'll try to solder for the first time in a couple years. Intermittent would be awesome!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

ElehemEare posted:

gently caress Canadian Tire

Agreed, the hangers I put on in the first post stretched so now it's hanging cockeyed again :argh:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Tried, and failed, to find steel winter rims that will fit my car in my city. :geno:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Just bought four winter tires on steelies with two of the four in great shape, and got a line on two good tires of the same size :toot:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I had forgotten my password when I did this so I couldn't post about it, but my RX7 was having the common wiper issue - they wouldn't return 'home' when I shut them off and intermittent didn't work at all. The fix for this consists of disassembling the dash to remove the wiper switch, and replacing two relays that often go bad. I ordered a spare of each just in case I melted one with my hamhanded soldering, but as it turned out my meager soldering skills did the trick and the wipers worked perfectly as soon as I reassembled the dash. Only one burned finger, too!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Finished destroying it.

Click here for the full 1136x852 image.

Looks like a successful weekend?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Replaced passenger headlight motor - headlight now retracts! Also swapped out the power antenna since the old one was physically broken, but it wasn't plugged into a power cable - there is no power cable that I can find, just the antenna cable. Have to look deeper into this one.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Podothehobbit posted:

...turbo...Yaris...

I think this should get its own thread for being so unique, with autocross videos and dyno numbers!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah, 1G Eclipse GST. I couldn't get the bolt off to pour fluid into it and it was getting dark so I'm going to continue tomorrow. I was going to just pour a quart of SyncroMesh in it, change gears a few times and empty it and see what happens. Unless there's a better way.

Protip: Make sure you can get the fill cap/cover/bolt off before you drain a fluid. :v:

Winter tires put on today, also applied Rain-X Antifog to the windows. Makes a big difference.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Passed safety inspection, good for two years! Had to do some major bodywork (weld in patches, make purdy with bondo and repaint), exhaust work (weld that bitch up) and electrical (hazard/turn signal switch loving up). Huge load off my mind since I need it for a mandatory work term at the start of May and I'm broke as a joke.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Started hearing an annoying rattle/clunking from the back end, it's either my exhaust banging around or my diff mounts are toast. Decided to post about it instead of finding what the problem actually is. :effort:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

thetechnoloser posted:

Last weekend: Airaid CAI

Yesterday: 93oct Bama tune. (Duh not pictured).

Completely changes the character of the car. 2012 Mustang V6, with the new 3.7l.

Wow, they sure didn't go out of their way to make that intake manifold look good.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Bought it!

Well-used and abused 1998 Sentra XE, 1.6L. Note the baling-wire stitching holding the bumper together and numerous dents. Not visible: zip ties holding both bumpers on. Paid $200 for it, put ~#300 of parts into it (plugs/wires, new gas tank, wheel bearing), should last me a while.

edit: wow, sorry for it being so dark in my garage.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

Our Infiniti G20 is close to the Primera P10/P11, that generation Sentra is beam axle and not really related, runs a QR25 rather than a SR/GA.

My Sentra has the GA16. The top-end model had the SR.

It's also my second car ever. :toot:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Put the drums, shoes and springs on my $200 Sentra that have been in my trunk for six months. No more horrible grinding noises! Next I have to try and cheaply address the rattling, clunking, clicking and squeaking noises.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Started to swap out the right drive axle on my shitbox Sentra, because the CV boot was split, flinging CV grease all over loving everything in the wheel well and making horrendous noises when turning left. Liberal application of brake clean only served to spread that poo poo around and make it flow more easily. After much swearing and straining I got the axle out...and half the seal came out with it, which I had mangled with the prybar. I did not get another seal when I got the new axle, because I was told that if I was careful I could reuse the old one, since it wasn't leaking.

So the car sits, undriveable, unable to be assembled with either the old bits or the new bits, because I'm a clumsy fuckhead. I'll get one at work this week, but until then I feel like a huge dummy. It also turns out that even after scrubbing with hand cleaner and soap my skin is now permanently stained with CV grease so everyone can see how dumb I am.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 24, 2020

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

opengl128 posted:

Man, I am the only one who HAS to wear gloves when working on cars? This picture makes my skin crawl.

I usually use barrier cream but I forgot it at work.

edit: there is actually a pair of gloves on the ground to the left outside the frame

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Memento1979 posted:

I've never ever pulled a driveshaft out without replacing the seal. I mean, at most it's a $15 dollar part, right? And you're already pulling the shaft out. Seems like re-using the seal is an invitation to have it start leaking and have to do it all again in a month or two. Seems like you got some pretty lovely advice :(

The guy who said it to me has been an auto mechanic for 12+ years, so he can probably swap the axle without loving up the seal. I actually would have had the new seal too but the parts guy at work forgot to order it, and I mentioned this to mechanic dude and that's when he told me I might not need it. Oh well, I'll get it done.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Finished replacing the right drive axle in my shitbox Sentra, a job that started last weekend. I got the replacement axle without a new seal, tore the seal with a prybar getting the axle out, and there it sat until I got a chance to work on it, tonight. That job sucked.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

tobu posted:

Let my my brother borrow it who called to complain it wouldn't hold a burn out through third gear... It's an automatic.

What a oval office.

Sounds like he doesn't need to borrow any vehicles of yours any more.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Four wheel brake rotors + pads + caliper service, also put summer tires on. I'm looking forward to when one of my two sets of tires wear out because my winter tires are on cool alloys and my summers are on lovely steelies with factory wheel covers. I could switch them while both sets of tires are good but really, :effort:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I replaced my rear right shock. That's both rears done and the ride is so much better. Who would have thought that a proper new shock would make less horrible noises and jarring impacts than old lovely blown ones full of ice? :geno: I also got both front and rear winter wipers from work, AC Delco winter wipers, and they are loving poo poo. Both fronts freeze into a curve and leave the middle 2/3 of their paths untouched. The rear just smears poo poo around and doesn't loving clear anything. I bought one Reflex Ice beam-type from Canadian Tire for the front driver's side and it works much better.

I have front sway bar bushings coming on Tuesday and that should take care of all the noises my car has been making...aside from the horrendous piston slap. This old EJ25 will probably last another 50,000km though, from what I've read.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

On Saturday I put on four new winter tires to replace the old ones that are from 2006 and all had slow leaks. They grip much better, almost too good, as now I can't get the rear out as much when I want to :( I also replaced the power steering pump inlet o-ring to cure its whining due to leaking air on cold starts. There is still a bit of air in the system, as evident by the stuttering/intermittent whine while turning the wheel but it's getting less every day.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Replaced the front struts+mounts. Exciting!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

On Saturday, after freeing up two seized caliper sliders in a week, I replaced the front caliper carriers + slider pins and serviced the rears. No squeaking, pulling or terror under breaking! :toot:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Oil and filter! Woo!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I finished installing a CB radio in my Impreza because I am a huge dork and I like things with buttons and knobs that make noises and flashy lights.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I replaced the front O2 sensor and now I have no failure codes. That combined with replacing most of the exhaust makes me ready to go for an e-test tomorrow!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

Are you absolutely sure everything's actually ready? :v:

Seems like it, according to Torque all the emissions tests pass successfully and I have no CEL now two days later. Sure hope so!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

crutt posted:

Installed a cam, new pushrods, oil pump, timing chain, head gaskets, lifters. also a supercharger. I dont want to turn a wrench for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaqmRxAxDA

(today being the last week)

God drat man are you going to post more videos and information or what???

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

crutt posted:

5.3, 212/218 VVT cam, new oil pump, timing chain, timing chain dampener, new lifters, pushrods, valley cover, first time pulling the heads off any vehicle. LSA supercharger off either a cts-v or zl1, zl1 lid, bosch intercooler pump, cxracing heat exchanger, ls3 injectors. Should go pretty good. Waiting on a tune currently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iguSlpHdWaA

:)

Very cool, I love your truck. Looking forward to hearing more about it once you get a tune and test it out.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

nadmonk posted:

Also, every living person uses the parking pawl as the parking brake on an automatic. As I said, we literally never use the parking brake, which is not uncommon for people with automatics.

This is wrong, you are wrong

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

This is a hells of satisfying fix :hfive:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

nadmonk posted:

I finally received all of the parts I needed to repair the exhaust on the '88 4Runner.

God I fuckin hate exhaust work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Today I tore the rear interior out of my Impreza to install a plug-in trailer light module from Curt. I got as far as reinstalling the interior, but have not ran the power wire all the way to the fuse block I installed in the center console (which has outputs to my dashcam and solar panel trickle charger). My numb fingers demanded that the electrical work be done on another occasion. I stowed the power wire coiled up wedged under the driver's side rear seat. I only lost one screw and broke four plastic clips