Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

DrChu posted:

Before driving I also removed the clutch assist spring:

Letting out the clutch pedal has always felt bad. I know in other cars people complain about clutch delay valves which would cause too much slip, but this felt the opposite. I think the spring mostly assists in pushing the pedal down, but it seems to have a snap-back effect as well. With the spring off letting the clutch out feels much better, at a cost of being noticeably harder to push in. I may try the MTEC spring Minto Took mentioned earlier as a middle ground. That little e-clip is a pain to deal with though, and my hand is scraped up from all the sharp edges up there.

I just installed that mtec spring on mine this morning. It's perfect. I get plenty of feedback on the clutch engaging through my foot, the pedal is plenty light, and there's no slop at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Brzs/ft86s etc have a helper spring to push down the clutch pedal in the pedal assembly. It also seems to slow or mess with letting the clutch out. Good if you're bad at manuals since it will help you not stall it but bad if you know what you're doing since it numbs it and makes engagement based on position and speed, instead of just position.

The aftermarket one is a much much weaker spring.

I've had this car for 3 years and today was the first time I didn't have a wtf moment letting the clutch out.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

kastein posted:

A lot of the engines I work on don't have a magnetic drain plug, though I certainly would prefer a magnetic one for all the reasons given. I'm mostly suspicious of drain valves like that because I don't want to smack them on something off-road or road debris on the highway or something.

This forever. The convince sounds nice but a bolt is just so much less... dangly feeling.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I replaced the battery in my key fob today. For my next trick I'm researching how to do brake pads for the first time in my life.

Pro tip, do one side at a time. That way you can reference the other for which way does this part go. More helpful on drums but can be useful on discs too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have an NB Miata? Curious if I could get a picture of what the rain rails are supposed to look like beside the trunk. Is it flat or is there some kind of curve? I figured it was kind of curved when I started beating on the car, but I'm almost positive at this point that they are meant to be flat.

Not mine but I have access to one. Send me pics of exactly what you want to see and I'll try to.match them. I can take measurements too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Minto Took posted:

I want it to get solidly in the 40F range so I can finally justify using these winter tires I paid too much for.

It usually feels dumb but that one time someone does the I have awd/a truck/my Subaru thing in front of you and you have enough grip to not get entangled in their bullshit you'll feel super smart and buy another set when they dry rot.

Also when you get to a hill and there are a bunch of cars at the bottom and a leaderboard of tire tracks going halfway up.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844&pagenumber=365&perpage=40

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558051&pagenumber=46&perpage=40

Machining and metalworking threads

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That plates awesome.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New wheels on the Si sedan. I’ve had it over two years on stock wheels for summer, which is some sort of record for me. 17x8 Enkei RPF1 and 235/4517 G-Max RS tires. Significantly lighter than the stock setup, about 10lb per corner.

Sup rpf1 buddy.

Just switched to 17x9s with hankook rs4s

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Looks good! I thought about going wider but I wanted to keep the weight down, and my fuel economy with 235’s is like 38-40mpg with the 19.5/23.5psi tune; I’d really like to keep it up there.

I debated going with black but my other Si and my S2000 have black wheels so I rolled the dice on gold and I have to say I’m diggin’ it.

The gold looks great so good call.

I debated the 235s but was mostly motivated by autox so I went bigger. Also the brz has surprisingly poo poo fuel economy anyway.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Helped a friend do clutch slave and master on an 03 WRX. It was almost easy, until the stud on the bracket snapped. Now we get to pull the whole pedal assembly!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Is that the bracket that has both studs captive on the back side with a bit of sheet metal between them?
Yea, that one is not particularly fun to get out...

Probably. All I know is it's holding up a shaft that transfers the motion of the pedal over the other pedals and steering column.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STR posted:

Clearcover. They sent an email last night asking me how I'd rate them to friends.. gave them a big fat 0 and a long winded rant as to why. Had a phone call around noon asking for my bank info so they can do an ACH deposit. So hopefully I'll finally be paid Monday or Tuesday. Getting another $150 on top to cover the rental for a bit longer.

I'm way too familiar with Loya - they started in my home town. In fact, their corporate office is a block from my old house (and has been as long as I've been alive). LOTS of their customers liked to hit the vans my parents owned for their company (when people bothered to carry insurance out there).

God speed with the insurance. I've never had what I would consider a positive experience any time I've had to deal with any of them but your experience seems extra lovely.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The red interior will be awesome right after the carpet goes from filthy gray/beige to black.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ranzear posted:

I might dunk on every BRZ that tries to roll race me on freeways, but drat you got me there...

Lmao as a BRZ owner I wouldn't try to drag race a minivan.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I was wearing 60923 (pink with yellow label) (3M P100 Respirator Cartridge/Filter 60923, Helps Protect Against Organic Vapors, Acid Gases and Particulates). Should I be wearing 60921 (pink with black label) (3M P100 Respirator Cartridge/Filter 60921, 1 Pair, Helps Protect Against Organic Vapors and Particulates)?

Could you smell the paint / vapors while you were working with it on?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

I was trying to install the Subaru OEM subwoofer accessory into my 86 today, but the subwoofer harness doesn't match the back or my Toyota head unit. :mad:

Time to figure out wiring diagrams or this Subaru dealer's return policy. :sigh:

If I can't figure it out, there might be a listing on SA Mart. :v:

PM me if you need to sell it and it'll fit a 17+

Also I've got the factory manuals for the 2017 if you need any diagrams.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

Pulled blower to install new injectors, got the tuner up to look at it, replaced a couple plugs then ran it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oubOksxbYY

2 mpg

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

I was gonna get the exhaust finished, but got a case of the ole rona yesterday. So, I got everything unboxed and ready to go until I get past the worst of it. Quick question for the thread: Leave these natural, or blast them and get them cerakoted flat black?

The supercharger (and bracket) is flat black, as well as the intake plumbing. The coil covers are black/red, so I've been leaning toward black, but I do appreciate the nice stainless headers.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tech-Line-Coatings-Black-Satin-Ceramic-Header-Coating-12-oz-,35785.html

I've used this for years from everything from headers to turbo exhaust housings and it's fantastic for a diy coating. The cheap harbor freight airbrush is fine for applying it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

I actually bought some of the air cure cerakote (C-7600 Glacier Black), I just have to blast it to get a rough enough surface for adhesion. Once I took them out of the box, I wasn't sure if I liked the natural stainless look or whether I should go through with black in the engine bay.

This is why they make us do word problems.

I vote black. It keeps heat in the exhaust and out of the engine bay without the hassle and fire risk of header wrap.

Form follows function forever.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I ordered a K24A since I am even further convinced the FA20 will not survive on track, especially with a TVS blower strapped to it

Hell yes. I'd read a thread about that swap. It's on my short list of how to get more power from a brz options.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't usually make threads, but I suppose this will be an exception :)

Cool!

no lube so what posted:

rx8

lfx into rx8

Lsx? I did get a ride at autox in a ls swapped brz and it was giggle like an idiot loose on Hoosiers. Felt to fast to track without risking death or going full racecar though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

no lube so what posted:

people are dumping the v6 Camaro power train into them and getting better than 10lb/hp

https://www.rx8club.com/non-rotary-swaps-196/skinless-lfx-engine-swap-271822/

That's looks like a brilliant swap.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Starting a thread and depriving your silent readers of content is the AI way.

I feel personally attacked.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

For the knuckledraggers in the room, whazzis?

He's about to put a Honda engine in a Subaru BRZ track car.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

OK so, refilled the coolant and it was fine for a minute. No heat, upper hose is hot, lower hose is still cold. Figure I have an air bubble behind the thermo....I did disconnect a lot of coolant hoses getting the manifold off. Best bet is to let it cool, run without the thermo until it burps, then reinstall? Or is there a better way?

It can take a you've got to be kidding me amount of time for a Honda bseries to get up to 180+.

If there's a thing on the thermostat housing that looks like a brake bleeder nipple it is but for the cooling system. Crack that (carefully and not under pressure) to burp air.

Also rasing the front end with a jack can help convince the air that the radiator is the best place to go.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got a new stereo. Nothing fancy.

Before:

After:

I put that same head unit in my accord last year I think. It's been great so far.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I looked at them recently and it wasn't a deep dive but they kind of seem amazing now. Some were even claiming to watch air radar info to warn of police aircraft. Also I guess they could tie into other radar detectors through your phone and warn you that someone ahead of you just got hit.

I don't do enough highway driving or speeding to dig into it but am curious if any of that actually works.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Its time.

I'm excited for this.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

:circlefap:

I want a thread. With details. Honda powered track BRZ is my jam.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I hope so, I'd intended to be done by now :v: :lol:

Been pretty overwhelmed time wise with a bunch of stuff lately, I will see what I can do. :)

Hell yeah.

Full Collapse posted:

I see ideas for when my engine explodes too.

It really feels like a matter of when, not if, doesn't it?

kastein posted:

I hate it when tribal knowledge like that is incomplete because they don't mention the ancillary stuff you also need to modify, replace, delete, or outright hack to make the "just bolts in" mod possible. I've had any number of people tell me the Dakota tank "just bolts into" a Comanche when doing a 97-01 conversion exactly like the suggestion you were given but no one mentioned that you have to cap off the factory fill ports and hack new holes in and then self tapper screw some flanges on in the right place. I'm just glad your "just bolts in" mod went fairly smoothly and that I found this out before buying parts for my "just bolts in" mod.

Think you'll make drag week?

So many parts or common mods seem like they were designed on an already modded car. It makes sense, you're probably going to have coilovers on the car you design brake ducts for. You'll probably only sell them to people who have installed coilovers too.

Mix that with broken tinypic or whatever dead image hosting site and I don't even know where I'm going with this but yes.

I'm in violent agreement with you.

Hey fastbrakes, when your website says in all caps FOR SI ONLY and FOR NON SI maybe specify you mean 99-00 Si when shits listed 88-00. Yeah I guess everyone was swapping knuckles left and right but gently caress spell it out.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

:rms: Yes, please.

Not much left to do. Waiting on a couple of hose couplers for the right side of the motor since I need to do a bit of coolant line jogging. I went with a KPower K24 Miata water outlet and opted to not move the wiring harness all over which ends up cleaner and has another advantage of an additional left hand side outlet.

Header is back from ceramic coating but I want to sort the water line first.

Oh, I also still have to pump out an entire tank of E95. gently caress.

That looks like it was supposed to be there the whole time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hell yeah congrats on getting it up and running.

How does haltech handle the cam position tuning? I know on kpro there are fuel and ignition maps for low cam and high cam for iirc every 10deg of advance. It winds up with like 20 maps total.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

wallaka posted:

You'd be surprised these days. I've installed two remote start modules in the past couple months, and had to splice two connections total. The Ford required zero, but the Toyota required one wire intercepted to subvert the immobilizer circuit.

It's the same module with custom harnesses for each application, pretty slick. It uses the factory remotes, just press unlock 3 times to activate it. I'm impressed for something you can just order from Amazon.

Same experience, but the custom harness did all the heavy lifting.

Also you can reprogram them to lock unlock lock so you start the car doors locked with no 3x lock horn beep.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I relocated a car from the street to the garage for a friend one time. He had started drinking and decided to crash, didn't want it left on the street overnight. I left it in 1st with the ebrake on. He butt dialed his remote start that night and welp. I didn't know it had a remote start, he'd just bought the car. That sucked.

Also holy poo poo the number of people who think they can trick you into installing one on a manual. I worked in a shop that did NOT do stereo etc work. We would and could but it was more a custom fab and performance place. Every loving winter.

Rinnnng ring
Hello?
Hey yeah my buddy said you can install remote starters?
Not on a manual.
(Suprised) what uh why does that matter?
You'll sue me when your car drives over some kid
I wouldn't sue you! I know the risk I'm taking.
You will after your lawyer asks if you want to be liable for running over some kid vs me.
Come on wtf man
Everyone else told you no too for a reason.
gently caress you *click*

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Maybe bump the starter for .1 sec vs a very sensitive accelerometer.

Or a couple cranks but no spark or fuel.

No motion ok start.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TrueChaos posted:

My wife's manual 2016 mazda 3 has a remote starter. The procedure for enabling it is that you have to enable it at the end of your drive, and it's ready to go for the next time you use it. Procedure is car in neutral, foot on brake, pump parking brake 3 times and the indicators flash, leave parking brake on and exit the vehicle. The remote starter turns off the car, and you're good to go. Can't enable it with the clutch in, so you can't leave it in gear. If you open the door without remotely starting it, the remote start is disabled.

So, it's definitely possible on manuals.

That's actually brilliant. I got out of cars for a living 10 years ago so my experience is out of date.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Wellll, the thing is some other people with the same swap also have this to varying degrees after I asked around for data logs. I am assuming it has to do with the kit wiring harness not being properly shielded.

:smith:

Shielding or a grounding issue was going to be my first guess.

If it has shielding is it only grounded on one side (1 is correct iirc, both ends turns it into another wire but it's been a minute)?

Also maybe the shield is wired to the same ground as the sensors? Idk if that would cause the issue but maybe.

Are those sensors 0-5v?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hit a milestone.
2015 BRZ, got it in May of 2015.
I guess I should have cleaned my gauge cluster earlier in the week.

Per the maintenance schedule looks like I’m about due for :
Fuel filter - this would be the biggest pain in the rear end and the most expensive to do labor wise. Is it actually with doing now?
Engine air filter
Rear dif
Brake fluid
Clutch fluid
Also is this poo poo that a) I should/can easily do, b) I should have my regular mechanic do, or c) take it to the dealer?

Don't know about the effort on the fuel filter but the rest are easy. Diff needs large Allen wrenches, the rest is very basic tools.

Subaru has a maintenance portal thing. When I bought mine it was $30 for 3 days and i could download all the factory service manuals in searchable pdf form.

I should diy vs my mechanic is just if you want to do it yourself.

Dealer would be a plus for resale, maybe, but more expensive. Probably not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Those 3 spokes are hot.