Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Money Walrus posted:

I'm about to do both on a Volvo 740. I've been putting off the blower mother and regulator for so long since I hate drilling out rivets and the fan is supposed to be a bitch. Any advice?

Good news: You heard wrong there, the fan on a 740 is cake. Drop the passenger footwell trim, remove 5 or so screws, fan falls out in your hand. They learned from all the bitching on the 240, which was a 10 hour job. They made the 740 a 10 minute job.

And cmon, drilling 4 rivets isn't that bad. Have you even checked to make sure your car doesn't use nuts? They didn't switch to rivets until later years.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My V70's cruise control quit working last week, and I had a chance for a free diag hookup (my local indy shop bought a new computer for VIDA and wanted to test it). So we did, and it had thrown the "bad clutch position sensor signal" code.

I pulled the switch today and it was lightly coated in brake fluid. Looks like my clutch master cylinder is toast. I swapped it with a spare switch from my C70 tranny swap and the cruise works again though. FOR NOW.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I did something interesting today, the auto-dim function on my V70 rear view mirror wasn't working. "So swap in a new one" you say. Oh ho ho, not so fast. On the newer Volvos (and many other cars these days) the rear view mirror is more than a mirror. It's called the "upper electronic module" and it contains the antenna for the car alarm and is linked to the immobilizer, and controls the sunroof and and and a shitload of other stuff, I guess. Anyway, because of this, it's flashed permanently with the VIN. The bad news is that you can't swap in a used one. They want $600 for a new one. The good news is that this makes used ones worthless, and you can get them for nothing.

I read this link on how to swap the guts, and tried it out. I picked up two mirror assemblies, one with auto-dim and one with a mechanical dimming toggle. I figured that if the autodim mirror tested bad, or if mine tested good, I'd just put in the mechanical one.

Anyway, my glass tested bad, and the spare tested good, so I swapped the glass and stuck it all back together and it works! I've been driving in the dark a lot more lately so it was getting really annoying being blinded.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

I would have tinted the windows and called it good.

This was cheaper. I do want to get the wagon tinted, but with the acquisition of the third car, and trying to recover from 6 months of unemployment, money's kinda tight. Or I should say, what little extra money I have each month is allocated elsewhere. Time to buy snow tires for example.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

lol, AI is too easy

Way to let it ride for a full 18 minutes dude. You burned a whole one AI member.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

How bout you drop it up your rear end? Rrrawr I'm hardmad on the internet!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Does anyone have any general advice for digging out parts under other parts and in tight spaces?

Usually there's a correct way to do it, and it often is the only way to do it. I don't know what it is on your car but start googling and youtube searching. You may find that yes, you do have to remove (or just unbolt and lift) the top mechanism and then find out that it's really not all that bad. Other times it's just a special tool or combination of tools you don't own, and then it's easy.

The similar mechanism on a Volvo comes out with 3 bolts on each side and 6-8 electrical plugs. And it's got locating pins so you can't put it in wrong. It's still super heavy and not easy to do but way less complex than it appears at first.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

What about the mark on the bottom near that sharp thing? Looks like a classic timing mark to me. I know nothing of your engine though, and yeah the only timing marks I've had complete confidence in are the ones on timing gears where the marked teeth mesh together.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I was asking about this thing, because even if it's not actually a timing mark, if it lines up when the engine is timed, then it's a timing mark. Not trying to be a dick or anything, just curious. I don't know these engines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New eBay grille to replace the smashed OEM one. I’d rather have emblems but for 1/4 the $ of a used part, I’ll take it.

Yeah I feel the same way, I bought an aftermarket grille for my V70 and ended up carefully grinding clearance for a factory badge that I attached with wire and zip ties.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 23, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Been working on a nearly free mouse infested slightly abandoned 2010 Corolla for a friend, it hasn't been started since 2018, and wasn't starting for us. Tested for fuel pressure and it was good, we swapped out the gas and it still wouldn't start. It would sputter and die with starting fluid so I knew it had spark, and it fired up just one time and idled for a few minutes. We haven't been able to get it started since.

Turns out only one of the keys is coded to the car, the key with the built in remote fob (that works) isn't, and we've been fighting the immobilizer this whole time, reflexively using the more official/full-featured-looking key for all but one start.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

StormDrain posted:

First off, start your thread as I want to watch and comment.

If you have the means, do discs now. You'll end up replacing stuff you want to replace now anyway if that makes sense. Replacing everything on the brake system helps your confidence in the car so it's good you have it up high as a goal. It'll be much easier and faster to replace it wholesale as well, which it looks like you want to do. If you're putting in your own lines you know what size the fittings are for sure, rather than ordering a brake hose and finding out they switched sizes mid year or some kind of nonsense.

Exactly what I woulda posted. Great shooting brake, I'd try to source the rear glass but only if it was available with new good seals and all that. If you have to cobble anything about it just keep it panels. So much cool potential there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

the Camry wagon (now affectionately nicknamed Doris)

A friend of mine named her car Doris. Doris the Taurus. Always made me chuckle.

I finished re-covering the headliner in my daughter's car this week, what a loving tedious job. OTOH it's not particularly difficult, just takes hours. I did learn a few things too, like the main locator is the sunroof hole. The little edge trim that you yank off without thinking about it has two channels. And one channel clips to the sunroof frame so it holds the headliner to the car. But only on the front and rear. The sides don't hook on the same flange because the shade has to slide there. Etc, etc.

Sucks to find that out after you've screwed down all the ohshit handles and visors.

Also learned that foam backed headliner fabric dulls those cheap 100 pack razor blades after about 30 inches. They just loving stop cutting. I went through about 20 of them.

It's one of those jobs where you forget to keep taking pictures because you're tired and burnt out and all you're thinking about is finishing. Arms are nice and sore from all the overhead work.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Went to U-pull this morning and got some replacement wire pigtails for my buddy's mice eaten corolla project. All the fenders and bumpers were stripped already, unfortunately. Gonna have to watch their inventory list daily and run out there the second they get a new one in.

Also grabbed a seatbelt reel for my neighbor's volvo, I hated seeing them run around with no belt. Both for the ticket risk and the safety.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That's excellent advice, thanks you guys. And yeah this is generic 10 year old corolla and there are a billion of them, but it'll be interesting to see if we can score the parts. I'm working from home so I check my email multiple times a day, and if they got a matching color one I could theoretically take a break from work to go raid it 15 minutes later. And even if not I could for sure go hit it at 4 PM.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

MrOnBicycle posted:

First and easiest project on my new V50 (that is in otherwise great cosmetic shape):

Makes such a difference IMO.

Post up some more pictures over in the Volvo thread! I love me some V50.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Harbor freight has those 1 ton dollies that are $13 so yeah stock up on those, they're great and they really do roll with a lot of weight on them.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

Fiancee drove up to PA yesterday to pick up fresh(er) seats and steering wheel for the SHO-swapped wagon. We had to do a cold start on it to move it so we could put them in the back so of course I had to get a video.

https://i.imgur.com/MpkeYjs.mp4

That sounds so good. Have you posted about this car before? If so, link please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Worked on my buddy's mouse turd Corolla today, installed the speakers. He read a bunch of reviews that said these cheap rear end speakers punch way above their weight and to be honest they were not wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/RECOIL-6-5-Inch-Component-Speaker-System/dp/B08DNJDR6K/

Surprisingly good sound for under $100 front and rear. The only real drawback is they did not include wiring or flush mount brackets. They had flush mount cups for the tweeters with no way to hold them into a panel.