Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ensign Expendable posted:

Very nice looking IS. Which one of the series is it? It looks a bit too bright compared to the camo paint of Soviet tanks. I don't like vinyl tracks all that much either, but they don't look too bad.

Looks like an IS-3, is it the Roden one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Le0 posted:

I wanted to ask you guys a question, I don't do any modelling (I love seeing stuff you make tho), but I'm currently working on a map for the Red Orchestra 2 game (ww2 east front FPS for those of you who don't know it).

I'd like to make some 3d models of ww2 stuff and I thought that for inspiration this would be a great place to look for since kits are very detailed. I've looked a bit around google but didn't really find a nice site which regroups various different brand of kits about ww2. Is there any sort of site that compiles the kits under a single list or provides reviews? Or should I just go to the seller websites and browse around?

Basically what kind of website would you guys recommend to look at kit pictures ;) ?

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/

Most of the dragon kits have a large set of detailed pictures of the kits. The pictures themselves are taken from a 3d modeling program so this is probably your best bet.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Artesania Latina's kits are pretty straightforward from the only two wooden ships I've built both being made by them. That's honestly not a bad one to start with to see if you enjoy building wooden ship models. I couldn't since whenever I put the planks on the hull all the wood would split or wouldn't bend properly and it'd look terrible but hopefully you'll do much better than I did.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ah, so that's what the Orange Line is. Makes sense, you have to use the worn molds somehow.

Oddly enough the IS2 I built from this line was the only kit where the magic tracks worked like they were supposed to.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Not only destroyers!. Several pre- ww1 Deutschland class battleships were in the kriegsmarine for training and light combat duties. All were sunk by the end of 1944 but this one sunk in such shallow waters that its crew were able to use its guns to defend the port they had sunk in from the soviets. The soviets after the war refloated her and used it as a target ship.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Getting liquid masking or a white elmers glue that doesn't dry into a brittle scab over the deck and cover what you don't want painted, overlapping a bit of what you do. Then when it dries, take an exacto-knife and a ruler and gently trim the glue off of where you'll be painting.

When the paint dries use water to help you peel the rest of it off.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 15, 2013

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

drat, really? Maybe I should go check it out.

Check your local paper for michael's ads on Sundays. They love throwing a 40 or 50% off one item coupon in there nearly every week. I use to use it for buying a box of like 30 motors back when I did modal rocketry.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I would assume not, the one time I went into a hobby lobby it was nothing but crafts for old people to do while waiting to die. I don't even think they had a revell snap kit to buy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dragon T-34 model 1940. The box calls it "T-34/76 Mod. 1940", which is wrong on several extremely minor and spergy levels.

One thing was pretty surprising: the suspension. I've never seen this kind of detail before. Shame no other interior details are included, so the spring wells are all alone inside the tank.

Yeah dragon kits are lacking in interior details which is weird because they don't also sell interiors as add on kits which would make them more money. On mine I'll leave the commander hatch open only and then cram a figurine half in/half out to hide the lack of details inside.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I got an airbrush about a month ago and finally finished up a dragon 1:35 Panther G to use it on.

I'm kicking myself for not getting one earlier, the paint looks loads better and it's way easier than working with a brush. I just have to remember to keep a dust mask on when using the cleaner.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

drat those look amazing, what machine/tools are they made with?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Quad posted:

Ok, I quit smoking, so I bought a model pirate ship to put together.
Now, I painted outside the lines a bit, and I figured I would let it dry, and then try to erase it? I bought paint thinner and little craft qtip things, and rubbed, and now the paint is gone, great, but the paint thinner is now a big sticky mess on the model, that I don't want to paint over, because most of the ship is black so I feel like I would have to paint the entire thing the same color it already is, and bleh.
How do I get the paint thinner leftovers off of the plastic model? It was acrylic paint if that matters.

edit: OR is the leftover stuff actually just the paint, but thinned so that I don't see the color of it anymore; in other words should I just use more thinner until it wipes clean? Gah, I know nothing about modeling/painting stuff.

Whats the material under the paint, plastic or wood? Also shouldn't an acrylic come off with rubbing and water/iso if on plastic? What are you using as a thinner?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Quad posted:

It's plastic, it's a Revell 1:198 USS Constitution. I bought Model Masters Dried Paint Solvent, it looked like the only type of that thing at my Hobby Lobby. You're saying I could/should've tried rubbing alcohol first?

edit: Also, is this what those sanding sticks are used for? Can you sand dry paint off of a plastic model easier than trying to solvent it off?

You can sand it but it'll scratch the plastic underneath so solvents are the best way to go. And yes from some quick googling and a test on the bottom of my only tank painted in acrylics, 70% iso with rubbing via paper towel or toothbrush will remove it without damaging the plastic under it.

Unless you're using lacquers you don't need to buy fancy paint stripper from the paint manufacturer, water/iso/(LOW CONCENTRATIONS OF)acetone from a supermarket will remove most if not all common non-lacquers. Do however buy the manufacturer's thinner for thinning enamels since those can be finicky.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Soviet tank models tend to be easier to build IMO (probably because they're not models of over engineered disasters). Also for Dragon kits unless they specifically note to not glue parts together, glue the parts together.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Well to be fair it wasn't so much threw an idler as it was lost one to a fuckoff large anti-tank grenade.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Seeing MIG pigments like 'Kursk Mud' 'Caucasian Mud' and others worries me that someday I'm going to become spergy enough to want to match loving mud.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

I just picked up the Airfix 1/72 F-5A 'starter kit'. I figured it to be something to get restarted with, and also to help decorate my cubicle at my new job. Only problem is, the decals are in Imperial Iranian Air Force colors, which, while it'd be fun, may not be the most tactful thing on my desk at my new job. What's a good place to pick up some USAF decals?

If they are the imperial roundels you can just explain its from when we liked Iran and were buddies with the Shah.

Side note: can someone link me to that goon made paint app.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I'm in Japan so the Tamiya kits are a lot cheaper compared to the Dragon kits here. Model accuracy aside though, dragon instructions are only 80-90% accurate. :v: They're also next to no help at all for painting instructions compared to the Tamiya play-by-play.

Honestly to me that's half the fun of Dragon kits. I enjoy a challenge rather than the put glue into the box and shake kits as someone above described Tamiya. Tamiya however has figured out how to not make track links an absolute pain in the rear end so they've got that going for them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even better than Fruilmodel?

Those are the $40 metal ones right?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

From wikipedia but at least Utah beach was apparently only waist deep for the first 100 or so meters out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

My worst instruction error so far was a dragon kit that had me make half a dozen tiny metal things and then didn't show where they went at all.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Finished my StuG IV assembly, and find myself with absolutely no desire to paint it. I didn't paint the model I did before this one, because (or so I told myself) it was 1:48 scale, and too small for my first paint job. As it turns out, I may just have no desire to paint models despite enjoying building them. Am I alone on this one?

Also, as a general rule, is there a reason why a model would come with a bunch of parts labeled "Not Used"? Some pieces seem to be duplicates, others seem to be *incredibly* minor variations on used pieces. I'm imagining if it's a repackage of an older set, maybe they used to be intended to be more customizable? Why not carry that forward and explain in the instructions that you can choose either part, and explain (briefly) the difference?

In my experience, since many ww2 tanks use the same parts, ie the panzer 4 with the STUG 4 and Hummel, those sprues with extra parts are also used in another kit where the parts you used are marked don't use.

Painting seems to be something you eventually grow to like. I use to only like building the models and now I own an airbrush :v:.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

When I lived in an apartment I just sacrificed a cheap folding table as a build surface. It's not the best but at 30-40 bucks it'll do.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I'm going to need a link to where you got that if it has republican decals in the kit.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Anyone have any experience with takom kits? Apparently they and trumpeter both released a KV-5 kit sparing me from 3d printing one and I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

N17R4M posted:

I've got some old Star Trek kits somewhere with the little fiber optic kits. Thankfully 12 year old me decided he would gently caress them up and left them boxed somewhere. If only I knew where...

I wish I had had the same thought when I tried making the Enterprise and D-7s kit as a kid. :sigh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Neo CN by Iwata was my first airbrush and its a good starter one imo. It's not all that precise (I would loop a rubber band from the trigger to the cup for small detail work) and the nozzle tips seem more fragile than others, I've yet to need to replace them on my other one but my CN has needed a replacement three times now. I still like using it for primer and base coats as its .35" nozzle puts out a large spray of paint.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh I thought the amazon link would be the compressor/airbrush/paint/cleaning set combo I got. If you're just getting the airbrush separately get an actual Iwata airbrush instead of the neo then. The revolution is very nice.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I add base flat to my future to cut down on the gloss.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Deeters posted:

Where's the best place to order paints from in the US? I found what looked like a nice hobby shop near me, but their paint selection was tiny and the amount of dust suggested it hadn't been touched recently.

I'd also be interested in learning this. I love using mr. color paints but my hobby store has been out of black for weeks :argh:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

You can use regular super glue on wounds but the medical grade stuff isn't as exothermic and has antibacterial properties in addition to not having solvents that sting like hell in it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

This claims it's an s-mine port.

E: here we go found the wiki page for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahverteidigungswaffe

The diagram in the photo matches your photo above.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Modelling... space?

:whatup: except I have a roll out keyboard drawer that's filled with paint and tools.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Get some small clippers and cut away as much of the shells while still leaving some as a buffer and the bust out some rasps and file the rest away.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sounds like it's too long if anything, how much does it over/under shoot?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Hmmm, could you slightly extend the linkages for all the other pieces? A little bit of a spread on each might net you a link's worth of length.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Maybe it's me but when painting walls that frog tape you have there always seems to fall off and allow paint under whereas the generic 3m painters tape is fantastic for model masking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Seconding q-tip with acetone but try to avoid drenching the q-tip with it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Soaking the wood in acetone is probably going to gently caress up the stain but if you dab the glue with acetone on a qtip lightly you'll soften the glue without hurting the stain. Then you can cut or scrape it away with a knife.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Wheels are easily the most boring part of making tanks.

Pretty sure that's the track links.