Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Player death is also very situational to me too. If its some random encounter I'd fudge it or he'd be "near death" or some other random penalty would be applied partially because dying to a spike trap is lame for everyone and partially because its really irritating introducing a new character into the adventure.

That said, if the character dies because the player is doing something utterly retarded, I let them die. A while time back in a game I was playing in one of the other guys had a monk and he charged a pack of three frost giants getting there at least two rounds faster than anyone else could possibly assist him, and he got utterly gibbed from focus fire. He was super pissed that he got killed "in a random encounter" but really- not killing him would almost have been worse because if you won't kill someone in that situation, when would you? Removing the risk from the game isn't much fun either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

homullus posted:

NPCs take care of objectives the players can't (because they're doing other stuff). If the party is guarding the gate, the warriors are guarding the house with the whatever in it, or guarding the opposite gate. Narratively, then, you can have the warriors be either sufficient or insufficient for the task in order to keep the plot on track, the PCs still get to order them around, and yet the PCs are never there to interfere with the NPCs' foreordained success/failure, and never there to be outshined by the NPCs.

Could also treat those high level warriors more as resources to tweak some aspect of the gameplay. That legendary knight roams the countryside, reducing the frequency of the attacks so they have more time to fortify. The super ranger is out there scouting giving the players valuable warning about what they might need to plan for. They're around and helping, but you never really see them after recruitment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlternatePFG posted:

So I recently started a D&D 4e campaign with some friends who've never played D&D before and we finished up our 3rd session yesterday. Things are going well and the players are having fun but some people aren't always able to make it. I was wondering what you guys do for XP for people who don't show up. On one hand, I want to reward people for playing but on the other hand, I don't want anyone to fall too far behind level-wise.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to set up a dungeon for my next session and I'm looking for general advice on good dungeon design. We haven't done a dungeon before, so I want to avoid it becoming a boring slog.

None of my 3 d&d groups use XP at all. We do our thing and at some point the GM just has everyone level up when it is thematically appropriate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm trying to salvage a party that has fractured. The players are all great, but the characters motivations are so misaligned that I am finding it hard to get them to actually work together.

"The executions will continue until morale improves"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

deadly_pudding posted:

Thisssss

Get an Ogre or a super jacked-up barbarian out there to just cold-cock the horse. See if anybody gets the reference.

I'd prefer to have the horse run away and ultimately sneak into the enemy camp and pick the lock to their cell Brisco County Jr style

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
HERO, obviously

oh god don't use HERO

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deino posted:

What could a party of six adventurers from the material plane possibly do that the goddess couldn't already do herself with an army of minions at her disposal?

Anything that doesn't involve burning things. An army of fire elementals and salamanders is all cool and good, but they lack subtlety

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Because it's prohibitively expensive to average Joe Terror. And if you've got cash and the access to magic items you can do a whole lot worse.

Then again, this custom device would be a hilariously effective way to get rid of a dragon.

This seems like a problem that would solve itself. A small bag of holding weighs 15lbs, this arrow would land about two feet in front of whoever decided to fire it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sebmojo posted:

Rolemaster owns fyi and is still one of the best and cleanest combat/skills engines ever made.

And I've got 4 books consisting of hundreds of pages of critical hit tables to prove it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

lofi posted:

Herding players is the worst part of gming.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elderbean posted:

What are some good places to recruit players for a game on roll20 outside of SA? I considered /tg due to the sheer volume of people there but something makes me think most of the players would be edgy assholes.

For the most part this depends on what you're trying to run. Lots of systems have decent communities here and there with recruitment type forums attached

enworld has most of the D&Dalikes covered, giant in the playground's forums are probably good for that too tho I haven't been there in a long while. reddit has a big shadowrun community, and their edge of the empire discord has a whole looking for group/players bot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, flashbacks are the way to go.

see also: the "Leverage" rpg where that's an actual game mechanic

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

No, do the opposite; he can possess anything vaguely human shaped with an appropriate "finger" for the ring to go on. Now watch your players try to figure out exactly how lovely a broom golem they can make and have him still be willing to give them what they want.

Ah, the fallout 4 method

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Freudian posted:

Never underestimate the power of spite. Set up an NPC as an eternal villain, to be hated throughout the ages, by having him unintentionally slight one of your PCs. Then have this guy be a jerk to the NPC you want your PCs to like, and get them to mutually commiserate on what a fucker Lord Shitbrains is. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, bing bang boom, you've now formed a blood pact, never to be broken.

I've found that just makes most PCs want to kill them at any cost and get really pissed off when they're continually plot armored.

They care about the person that gives them all the money

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has there been any thought of respinning this thread? OP hasn't been updated in 6 years, several of the links are dead or point to malware redirects now. Masterplan appears to be dead and gone in general.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Happy fun ball
Wand of Mordenkainen's Conjunction

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

Depending on the group you might just need to start signposting things a little more when they do poo poo that seems like it's obviously stupid to you. If they decide to take a power nap in the Noble's mansion, say "hey, this is probably going to get you caught, are you sure you want to do this?" It might just be an issue of them not thinking far enough ahead yet.

More like playing a P&P game like it's a crpg where you just pitch a tent 4 feet away from the dungeon boss and he's all "It's cool, I'll wait"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dreadmojo posted:

then let the dice fall, losing a few characters because they deliberately did something dumb isn't terrible.

example: Doing castle ravenloft and the whole party save one guy wanted to turn right at a fork, so he wandered off left on his own

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inkspot posted:

A rival cleric cursed to be a cat. They've been trapped in that room for centuries.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 9, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Send them on a quest to find a man on a silver mountain

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW Against the Giants which is an extremely early set of 3 AD&D tournament modules (it introduces the Drow, that's how early we're talking here) does have specific callouts to which monsters from which areas will reinforce others if they hear fighting. The "dial a dungeon" monsters who sit around scratching their nuts until you kick the door down didn't become a thing until later OR if you rolled on a random table to generate the dungeon in real-time as the players traversed it.

That whole series was pretty great, kill some giants, go underground, fight lloth, what's not to love

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

Hey guys, is there any easy to use nerd game mapping program that works kinda like google maps? I'd love something that didn't require any coding know-how and just let you upload a big map image and then drop placemarkets and labels and things on it and share/interact with your players.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legendkeeper/

beg this guy for an early access copy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A die is a terrible thing to waste

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kidkissinger posted:

Just got get Dwarf Fortress running for a couple days and pull from there haha

You'd need DF and DFhack to get to the legends browser, but a long history could get you some fun stuff. Like "Sodel (Shield) Oxsnuggle the Soapy Bunny," god of trees.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hopefully he's campaigning on the high rate of increase in crime in the area

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sebmojo posted:

One of the other nobles is a masked crime fighter

Sanford posted:

Something innocuous they steal turns out to be the macguffin to end all macguffins and they need to either come clean, reverse-steal it back to where it was, or come up with some feasible excuse as to why they've got it and where they got it from.

Just do both of these things! Town has a secret history of demon (or whatever) infestation, and a Buffy-like crew centuries ago closed the hellgate and sealed it shut with a fancy gold statue on a stone pedestal. Fastforward and the organization that is supposed to be guarding the statue with their lives is now just one rich family in town that just knows that nobody is supposed to go into the old vault in the east wing and don't take any special precautions beyond the house guard.

Intrepid thief steals the statue, make it an actual falcon if you want to really enhance it's mcguffin status, and then poo poo starts to go wrong in town.

Personally I'd make the second half of that slow, like background noise over multiple other adventures. Portal takes forever to open, first stage is various evil people in town start to hear whispers and begin making cults or something, then smaller things start coming through. Between the robbery and the hell breaking loose have the party do some dungeon crawl or something that is definitely tangentially demon related to throw them off the innocent looking statue being the cause, and go from there. At some point the family would come clean after slowly losing ground fighting the hellspawn in secret, and the secret of the statue is revealed, and now your people need to get it from the fence or whatever before anyone finds out it was them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sanford posted:

Players are going to meet a dashing, handsome, annoying swordsman. His retinue are Cr3 knights from the monster manual, and the guy himself needs to be quite a lot better - can anyone advise me on what he should be?

System and Edition would matter here

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dameius posted:

A quick and lazy way to pad out your list if you need filler is to just directly crib occult activity from the Call of C'Thulu boardgames.

Or combine it with his Indiana Jones occult Nazis

https://www.modiphius.com/achtung-cthulhu.html

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DalaranJ posted:

I like glass beads for one inch square scale. You can get them from a go set, mancala, or you can by them from a craft supply store.

Can also do paper minis

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/88c3ut

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You do know Sheriffs are still a thing right

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Librarian golem in a cage that will only let you check out two items at a time

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
yeah, at the end of the day eugenics and population control was probably the positive and enlightened solution compared to plan b which was "Exterminate all of the purple people eaters"

See also the Rachni from Mass Effect

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could take a page out of microscope and do rounds til everyone passes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

A goblin prince. (You can tell he's a prince because he's wearing a shoddily constructed crown. because his name is an unintelligible symbol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Teleport and dimension door should also bypass it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bonus points if the AI is just a gigantic animated paper clip

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Keeshhound posted:

You could also combine it with Hattie Masters idea; if people have spent that long in space (and possibly even had a second generation) on whatever stupid future tech self-reliant space stations were built, they probably wouldn't be suited to returning to life in a gravity well, but they could be a source of info/slightly more esoteric quests.

You could even reference Apollo 13: "Hey, one of our air recirculators broke down. We're not on any danger, but we can't access the observation windows while we wait for the manufactory to print a replacement. Can any of you think of a way to make a work around out of [random scrap] to let us use an older segment's filters? If you do, we'll do a scan of your surroundings next pass and let you know what we find."

This gets close to re-enacting The 100 tho, and that's how you get Clarkes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kidkissinger posted:

Individually, I understand these words I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_(TV_series)

quote:

The setting is 97 years after a devastating nuclear apocalypse wipes out almost all life on Earth. Thousands of people live in a space station orbiting Earth, which they call the Ark, constructed of connecting space stations and spacecraft. Three generations have been born in space, bringing the population of the Ark beyond carrying capacity. The future is jeopardized by over-population. 100 juvenile detainees are sent to Earth in a last attempt to determine whether it is habitable. They discover that some survived the apocalypse: the Grounders, who live in clans locked in a power struggle; the Reapers, another group of Grounders who have been turned into cannibals by the Mountain Men; and the Mountain Men, who live in Mount Weather, descended from those who locked themselves away before the apocalypse. Under the leadership of Bellamy and Clarke, the 100 attempt to survive the harsh surface conditions, battle hostile Grounders and establish communication with the Ark.

So as to avoid spoiling anything, let's just say Clarke makes some interesting decisions in her efforts to keep her people safe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ILL Machina posted:

What is it, out of curiosity, and does it have supporting lore?

They're Vecna Stars, boasting centuries of tradition and consistency that only an organization run by a lich can provide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lich please