Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I would love to join too just to relive the snes nostalgia. I'm GMT -5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Bigass Moth posted:

Great, so you killed one guy --
I don't know man, With that length of the katana, I would guess a horizontal slash would slice through a whole group of them and cut through steel beam along the way. He might even slice through the CONCRETE WALL silently with that amount of damage.

Gun can't do elemental damage either, but since he is a mystic adept, he could get something like element aura to deal with non-physical monster like elemental that he could one hit kill it.

... theoretically.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 23, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Mystic Mongol posted:

What are you gonna do against it with your melee weapon?
Ehhh... I guess a extra hardened riot shield won't help.

Maybe he can be a possession mage with such a high stat that he can almost dodge anything or even become immune to physical? and let you fly

Edit: Maybe he can tag a sound element to his weapon attack that can create shockwave for range attack?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Clearly we should made a compromise of using a GUNBLADE! The ultimate fusion of a gun and a blade! :black101:

edit: Real life example, pistol sword, Bayonet.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 24, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I never noticed the Astral Hazing "negative metagenetic quality" before. Holy poo poo,
Looking it the other way, it also mean your party cannot have another mage and all the adept lost their power because of you. Your party cannot have cool magic/adapt effect for the rest of the game unless you sits out of the mission or the whole campaign will just be a normal gun blazing grenade explosion game.

Edit: Unless your team pump really hard on the magic and get initiation of course.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Gobbeldygook posted:

screwing over any other mages or spirits you can get close enough to to affect, plus the defensive benefits for yourself, the ability to weaken wards, etc.
Welp, that's like having a free personal anti-magic shield that you can charge into fireball and watch it melt away or weaken it enough that it barely hurt you. Why bother buying magic resistance anymore. :smithicide:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Poil posted:

I've got about 15'000 nuyen and 32 karma left to waste. I need some form of knowledge about nature and wilderness too but I'm not sure what to write it down as.
There's a parazoology skill with specialization in continent so you would know where to find a certain para-critter in the world. Same for zoology (for normal critter).

Current Event with specialization in Nature for up to date stuff.

If you are keeping the critter alive and plan to take them to another country, you might need a critter(?) import/export license or know someone that can smuggle it.

Parabotany if you want to deal with monster plant.

Aside from buying those survival kit, tent, and whatever, you should also gets element protection gear like flame-retardant gear when hunting hellhound.

Looking at Runner's Companion, they have Botany, paranormal creature (somehow different from parazoology :crossarms:), ecology, environmental law, and nature trail.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 17, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SerCypher posted:

Can grenades from grenade launchers be dodged at all?
The only clue I can find is SR4A 160, under Attack using Area Attack Weapon, which mention "dodging explosion" like "grenade" with -2 modifier.

The official FAQ also have a same question and the answer to that was "Anyone in the blast radius has until the next IP to get out of the way."

So I guess if it isn't things like impact explosion grenade, then everyone have until next IP to dodge it with -2 modifier.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Bigass Moth posted:

The cheesy way to use them is to aim them at the ground near the enemy, since by the rules it can't be dodged.
Ah... that explain the having one IP chance to RUN away from the blast zone.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I think gm should give out more free advices (or free warning) to players before they did something stupid. I guess it's a common misconception that gm assume that players know how to act in any situation, although people that panicked will end up doing stupid thing too.

Anyway, aside from some crazy third party intervention of gm, just let them fight it out till they surrender or bleed out to let docswagon/KE-jail-doc takes them in. Then figure out some way to get them out of jail, it could even turn into a few session of jail adventure if you want.

Getting out of jail early would probably require some heavy favor from some Influential contact if the players have any, or have some third party organization/new johnson to bail them out to work off their hour/favor.

If they manage to beat the KE and escape, then it could be a few session of hiding out of sight and have hacker contact or mission to wipe off their bounty and fending off bounty hunter while staying low for a while or just skip town and get new fake ID to start over.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 19, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Hmm, I have no experience in BRINGING IT ON to the cocky player, but it seems like now is a great time to employ your gm arsenal of rules to teach the player a lesson.

Scan and track his comm if he didn't turn if off or isn't a disposable comm then show him the KE-level of MATRIX BEATING or have a watcher spirit following him which he can't do poo poo about that until he know about it and KE will know where he is until he grab a mage to deal with the astral tracking, which would also show him that he need astral mage support to survive and shouldn't had ditched the party mage.

There's also trained KE Animal beast that can recognize his smell (although there's a thing that can get rid of smell).

Anyway, there's really a crapload of ways to destroy a player gimmick. No one can deal with matrix, astral, and physical battle all at once, along with other things, which is the reason you are in a TEAM in the first place.

As for shopping list, just be careful not to allow OP stuff like the one from WAR book or stupid broken stuff like emotitoy or whatever.

Edit: Also follow the buying time rule in the book, don't just give high avil. forbidden item to them so easily. Though they could just RP walking into a shop to get anything legal if you provide them free time or have a contact grab it for them.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 19, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:ughh:
... well, to be fair, he probably wants to save his team, which must be the only reason he's ordering all these while having KE on his rear end a block away, right? RIGHT?

I don't know how he got that much money and why he didn't order these stuff sooner.

Holy crap this list. I never even thought about cheesing an extra Optimization with a beach link.

Did he really have 30 karma for that masking foci? It would take like 5 hours to bond that thing on the spot.

Well, I think you already know what to do with this, so I will go calm myself down from this. I can fully understand the mentality of this person already.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 20, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I'm assuming he have a R6 Respond and R6 System comm to run those R6 program at rating 6. You should make sure those are not brought from extra nonexistence money. If he won't drop back from BP points to pay for it then slap him with the appropriate In Debt quality.

This is also an example of how one player powergaming that ruined the difficulty for the other players, and you really should make sure your other players can handle it before you ramp up the npc against a powergamer. You should only need to ramp up the matrix side of the game though.

I don't know how far you all are into the game, but a hacker starting the game with 4+ thing in R6 is pretty common from what I seen, the 400 bp should limit him to not have as much program to deal with other situation, I.E. Editing.

By Suite I think you mean Software Suite (Unwired 128), which lucky for you, cannot be upgraded nor equipped with program option.

If it's individual program, I can't find the rule but I believe it's just the same version getting an rating 'upgrade'. He could copy it to other commlink if he crack the copy protection of the program, but let's not go into the piracy rule cause it will just further the arm race even more.

Edit: Oh, upgrade software, let me check...

Edit 2: Can't find anything about it other than Software (SR4A 222) refer to Firewall and System, but it's technically OS upgrade so I would say he can use it if you crack the Software Package and install it on another comm with the same OS since the package is design for that particular OS and for that particular rating.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 20, 2012

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

E: One more thing that I've probably glossed over accidentally - what's the comprehensive list of things that heal boxes of stun damage other than time?
There's very little thing that heal stun immediately. I only recall Adept power: Pain Relief, can do this. I think there's also a rule that stun/phy damage cause from drain cannot be healed unnaturally.

quote:

(Yes, I gave my friend the "You're a retard" look the entire time he was strolling into the breakroom)
This happen all the time for new players, just always assume your players will do retarded things, lack common sense, and just plain won't know how security procedure works. (Highly suggest you give common sense quality to them for free and make them roll their knowledge skill)

quote:

quickly succeed in geeking the mage ... the two choppers bring skeet down -
That's the expected result for green runner to raid a AAA Corp's mart. If it's just a cheap low down mart then it won't have the choppers! :eng101:

Edit: You should also throw in some drone so the mage player will know how painfully hard it is to have direct magic affect a drone. :cry:

Edit 2: Show them how burning an edge will keep them alive next time.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 11, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

As for armor, I think it's not really broken since it's easy to die even with high armor along with other non-physical way to screw the meattank and the player did spend point to get higher body for the extra defense (dodging is better than soaking anyway) instead of more point on agil or str to shoot/hit things harder.

In "Funderwear" case, social dress code should come into place so someone might call the cops if they see someone dress like he's going to bomb a place.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Super Rad posted:

Not sure which of the two I like better, I'd actually really like to hear some opinions on this -
I like #2, it gives gm better control of the hacker's capability through availability. Logic is too easy to boost so #1 is better for game that want to have hits goes above 10 by end game.

Looking at Damien Knight's stat (CEO of Ares) in Street Legend Supplemental as end game example, his log is 9 with program in 10, so if I were to pit a end-game hacker player against him, it probably would be more evenly matched with rule #2. New player with maxed LOG won't be able to challenge him right out of creation because they will have much lower chance to win against him due to hit cap difference, not so for #1.

Another question arise from this is, what's the hit cap for Agent that do the hacking instead? Hit cap it with Agent rating?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 15, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

Obviously hacking should be done with Logic + Skill + Program
I always just assume the reason creator didn't use Log is to balance the cheap to get program that easily provide you 4-6 dice for relatively nothing in nuyen. Is like buying a sword that give you 6 dice in melee...

Anyway, hacking not really my field beside knowing the basic, so no comment on the rest.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

New blog post about 5e dice pool

- Core mechanic of the game will mostly be the same as 4e, skill is still linked to attribute except more often and especially in matrix actions.

- High skill player should have more dice pool than low skill player, the change to do this are:
-- Skill cap become 12 (karma cost is the same, so bloody expensive)
-- Gear now have a 'limit' in contributing to your dice pool, concept will be similiar to force of the spell, which is When you choose the Force of a spell, you are limiting the number of hits you can count from your Spellcasting Test.
--- Weapons now have Accuracy stat, which is one of those 'limit'

quote:

This represents the limit imposed by that weapon, that is, the number of hits you can count when you roll your test. Got a sweet sniper rifle that can shoot the wings off a fly from a kilometer away? That’ll have a high Accuracy, and you’ll be able to use a whole bunch of hits from your dice pool when you make an attack with it. If, on the other hand, you’re stuck with a broken-down pistol with a cracked barrel, well, you could be one of the world’s great marksmen, but you’re still going to have trouble hitting the side of a barn with that thing. Then again, maybe you’re not built with a high skill in pistol, and a cheap, low Accuracy gun is just about right for what you roll.
Yep, sniper finally are useful.

-Limits and Edge interact in some unspecified way (detail in next article)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Aww man, I never played the previous edition so I have no idea how cyberdeck works.

quote:

The decks are back.
It's been back in the 2050 book.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I would just let her use buy hit instead if she gonna retry until she got it, unless it's for important/powerful roll like casting magic and just give her a quick succeed/failure answer on unimportant things.

Along with what BoBtheImpaler said, maybe run some fatigue penalty for not getting enough sleep and ask what motivate her character to even want to spend hours doing something like that unless her char has OCD for Phonecall or something.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Yeah, there's enough rules for gm to actually prevent any kind of player type from prospering if the gm bother enough to use those obscure optional/rare/lore-detail rules and piece them together. :v:

Same for the Magician Adept formori, 400 bp char just cannot become anti-everything, there's always some weak points for gm to gut you down or block you up with. Working at a team to cover each others' weakness however... somewhat helps, still doesn't cover up the gazillion ways that a gm can counter your char's concept/strength.

Edit: But yeah, the rule is a vague mess most of the time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Noise is interesting, it surely would make the hacker want to move closer to the target assuming Noise affect the difficulty of the roll needed to succeed.

I have to wonder if the 2050 book's rule is actually a rule test for the fifth edition. It has cyberdeck in it working for sr4 rule and have some wonderful rule fixes/tweek for magic while making each tradition works differently so that mage and shaman's same class problem is pretty much solved.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

AI taking over the hacker's mind, it's began. :regd11:

So the AI race can possess people now like possession mage? :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Mordaedil posted:

Him having so many dice and initiative passes makes me worried I'd have to have quite a few guards ready to punch a hole in him, or possibly just a mage.
Just be up front about it. Tell the player what their character can do, what you expect them to do, and what their expected role in the team is. Tell him your "campaign was kind of to leave the option for no combat ever, open."

For Max Payne, tell him straight up that he would be standing around and do nothing on all the non-combat situation unless he spend his edge to go for a 6 dice boost on the non-combat skill. In combat, you will either adjust the difficulties to match the weaker players so he might feel too easy and boring, or adjust it to his level so all the other players will depend on him to succeed. (Tell him to buy doc wagon if he don't want to burn edge to stay alive, just to scare him)

If he agree to tone down, tell him to cut his dice in half and spend on other role's skills like... *look at attribute* ... driving and other intuition skills.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 22, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I have a house rule idea for matrix that I would like some critique on how it would work out. It's inspired by the distance-based bonus describe in the 5e blog post and combining it with buy hits rule.

I assume computer in 4e is still pretty linear and dumb even with fuzzy logic on an agent. So such straight forward interaction between computer shouldn't have any luck involvement other than human error, and for simplification sake, the hacker will stick with the hits he have from buying hits (I.E. 14 dice = 3 hits) which he will stick with this for the rest of the mission.

The opposition would also be tweaked to be based on rating, and the hacker will automatically be successful when their hits >= rating (I.E. R3 will be hackable successfully with 3 hits). To account for human error, I would make the hacker make a dice roll to make sure no glitch or zero hits are rolled (zero hits = waste more turns).

To be fair to the hacker, on the pre-mission scouting of their target company, I will provide the general idea of what ratings are to be expected in the company (I.E. R3 for most computer/lock, R5 for a important computer that the hacker need to stole infomation from.)

Now for the hacker to successfully hack beyond R3 beside spending edge and buy hits with the total dice pool, this is where the distance-based bonus comes in:

The closer the hacker is to the hacking target, the more bonus dices he gets for his dice pool. The distant are modify by the signal rating of your device. So 5 signal would mean interval of 5 meters for each bonus dice.

The bonus are as below using 5 signal as example:
- Stand 5 meter/signal from target = 6 bonus dice
- Stand 10 meter/signal from target = 5 bonus dice

and so on... but one special bonus for decker:

- Stand next to target and jack in with deck = 8 bonus dice

So for our hacker to hack a R5 with his 14 dice pool, he would need to reach within 5 meters from the target to get the 6 bonus dice to boost his 14 dice pool to 20 dices and buy 5 hits for the hacking to be successful. This is assuming he's signal rating is 5.

The only time when the hacker have to roll dice is when he's dealing with human element like matrix rolls against another human hacker enemy or true AI race.

Gear-wise, it shouldn't be a problem which rating he start with since the difficult should progress linearly as long as the mission reward money and difficulties is adjusted correctly and he would need to get 4 more dices to really make a difference for each one hacking skill. If there's more than one hacker in the team, the adjusted reward money in theory should let the weaker hacker catches up pretty quickly.

As for piracy software, I would play up the bad side of it much more harshly. Current idea is like making him roll twice or more for checking his glitch/zero roll as mention before due to additional software outdated/error on top of human error.

So this is the basis of it. The pro of this house rule would makes hacking really straightforward and fast pace. What do you think?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Bigass Moth posted:

Initiative is back to a SR3-like system, which is probably for the better.
How does init boosting stuffs like wired 2 works in SR3? Just give like 5-10 initiative score?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Thanks. Hurt my head to absorb that, but quiet enlightening. :tipshat:

I wonder if it would be more interesting if types of action cost initiative score instead. Like how AP works in Shadowrun Return game.

With 10 score as one IP, and math it using the following rule.

quote:

1 free + 2 simple
2 free + 1 simple
3 free
1 free + 1 complex
Complex would be 6-7 score with one usage limit, simple would be 3 score with two usage limit, and free would be 3 score with three usage limit. All limited at total of 10 score per IP.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm still a little peeved that metaplot demanded that Dunkelzahn sacrifice himself before he could take office.
Good guys improving the world of Shadowrun? Nah, can't do that. Must kill him off so we have more world corruption plots for the future! To make it worst, let's have Ghostwalker, the polar opposite of Dunkelzahn to replace him instead! - Shadowrun Writers

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Rockopolis posted:

Eidetic Sense Memory, the adept power, vs laes, the amnesia drug, what happens? Or the spell Edit Memory. Or the brainwashing machine from, Heck, what about booze? Can't drink to forget, right?
Man, if someone willing to spent 0.5 essence for fluff like these, I would just let you be immune to laes because mandane drug can't erase magical memory and ignore other counter argument. The spell Edit Memory would still work since it's magical and not permanent like laes, and you might even be able to remember sooner or break out of it with high hits. Booze just make your brain suck at remembering thing while you are drunk, but your magic will remember them for you. Exception would probably be taking laes/booze at some high background count place that null your adept power as per the rule.

quote:

Legitimately talk to your GM and say you'd like the chance in game to legitimately do good things or make the setting better even if just in small ways.
I wish more GM these days would run a Shadowrun setting that isn't about a group of criminals working infinite side quests for Mr.Johnson for money.

More GM need to break away from this kind of setting and try out other possibility like being in the Knight Errant special squad that saves lives, PR, and do good things. Sure, even the "good guys" have their own shade of darkness, but at least provide players the option to be able to change the world even in a small ways through their actions. Like get the current corrupt Knight Errant CEO fired and replace a better one, etc.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 17, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Mordaedil posted:

Isn't it kind of the appeal though? A game where you're not really playing as the good guys or the bad guys, but working on the grey lines of society.

quote:

I prefer to let the players drive the story and do pretty much whatever they want.

quote:

Last time I GMd SR, my players ran a small private investigation business.
Oh, okay. I guess I just had really bad luck finding a gm with your kind of setting then. I had joined like 5-6 game and all of them are like "Meet Johnson, do criminal side quest, get money." Just purely being bad guy and boring. :suicide:

I remember a gm punish us with reduced karma reward because we decide to make a good choice and let the guy we suppose to capture go... then the failure of the mission leads to a series of bad luck for our team... it was terrible. We lost more karma overall than we gain from that mission.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 17, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Minorities posted:

Seriously though, have you tried running your own game?
I would prefer to be the one playing than gming, but yes I did run a diplomatic mission where the players manage to resolve the incident with :words: and without violence.

Unless you think gm having his own player character is a good idea. :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

New blog post about SR5 Adept. They now get a thing call "qi foci" that boost adept power similar to the way other foci lift up spellcasting abilities.

Nothing specific about how it work, but the foci can take the form of traditional objects (rings, necklaces, and so forth), but they could also be tattoos.:aaaaa:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Kai Tave posted:

Also that corporate logo, while goofy looking, is where he got shot in the head at the start of the game.
If I want to be a cyborg with a transplant brain, the brain will be hidden somewhere that's not head. :roboluv:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The mage will suss that out right quick. Mages gently caress up every good plan.
What if my brain is encased in a Shielded Smuggling Compartment with Biofiber that can "block astral scan"? (AR 144) :engleft:

I know there's a debate about how Biofiber and the others material works, but that's something.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

Targeting and Magic
Object Resistance is the bane of all spellcaster. That makes cyborg better than Arcane Arrester and a no downside Astral Hazing... :smithicide:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All it takes is one executive who thinks 'hey, why not fight fire with fire?' to give enough space for them to crawl in.
Or better, that one executive is the bug and it's actually pouring fund to make the bug stronger. :smugdroid:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SirFozzie posted:

Ugh, the Limits thing is insidious. I know they're trying to limit the "uber-success" issue, but that was half the fun of rolling that many dice.
Agree. It's an issue but it sure is funny when it happens and this should be a decent fix for it, but ruin the fun.

I'm worry about using attribute stat as limit factor for physical, mental, and social. It would put more emphasis on Attribute than or equal to skill, but attribute is expensive, so it could become a team balance issue like a team with a player having 3 (probably human) physical limit while the other have 7 physical limit (probably troll). It could be a problem for GM since I think physical include dodging, which mean the human gunner with 3 physical limit will have a harder time if GM set the balance at the troll player's level or just have troll enemy.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Kenderama posted:

So you can blow past your limits in a most amazing way - and makes edge even more awesome as a stat.
Yes, now even 1 edge is very good boost just for this fact alone, and teamwork now boost the limit too! So it should make the players want to help each other more instead of you do your thing, I do mine separately.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 18, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

MohawkSatan posted:

Pretty easy way to deal with it. 6 connection contacts are seriously important people. They don't deal with little things really.
What if he's like, your dad that loves you a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Bigass Moth posted:

spend 12 karma and also receive 6 power points? Can you say broken???
You start Char gen with 25 karma, so that's half of your creation points to buy that 6 power point, which is drat expansive. So I think it's fair on paper compare to adept getting it for free.

• Locked thread