Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’m a lurker but just wanted to pop in and say I’m so sorry you and your cat are going through this jimmychoo. :sympathy: That sounds frustrating and devastating. I hope you can both get some rest in the next few days and fingers crossed the steroids help or they figure out a better solution. Sending you both good vibes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’ve been lurking in the thread for a while and yesterday brought home a 1 year old black smoke tabby. :swoon:

His name is Sinjin; I’d love to go with the fancy-boy British “St John” spelling but having a confusingly spelled name might cause issues...

Contactless pickup adoptions are weird; I didn’t see him in the flesh until I opened up the cardboard carrier in my apartment bathroom. He was silent for the whole 40 min car ride.

He loves getting his head scratched but I havent seem him leave the box yet (though he definitely used the litter box and ate some food last night. Somehow kicked a bunch of litter into my bathtub lol). He swipes when I stop petting him and pull my hand away... I leave when he does that, hopefully that can be trained out. Hoping he gets acclimated soon so I can take a shower!

EDIT: What’s the best way to post photos from Awful App? Everytime I try to add a photo directly from my phone library I get an error message...

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 3, 2021

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I feed my cat a mix of wet and dry food (he’s maine coon sized and idk if I can afford all wet...) and just put the dry food in a food ball. I figure it slows him down a little and gives him something to do.

I’ve noticed several pantry moths on my walls and I just need to figure out if it’s the dry food or his cat litter. 😤

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

On April 2nd I adopted a 1-year-old cat and am now debating if/when I should get him a playmate... I work full time during the week and play with him when I get home and sometimes a little in the mornings and switch out his toys now and again, but I feel bad leaving him alone so much during the day.

If I get another cat, should it be younger than him (he’s only 1) or can it be 1-2yo? And is it better for me to wait a few months or will it be harder the more settled in he is?

I don’t want to rush into getting more cats, especially when there’s no guarantee they’ll get along.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

This is literally in the OP:

quote:

If you're going to get a kitten; Get two.
For years, it's been commonly thought that cats are antisocial and don't need or want other cats around, but that is simply not true. Cats live in feral colonies all across the world, and have social hierarchies and interactions on a similar-but-different scale to dogs and rats. So, if you want a cat because you're going to be gone all day and feel that the cat won't care, please consider adding another cat to improve the first cat's daily life/reduce boredom.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Okay, that makes more sense. Honestly I think he still has rear end in a top hat kitten energy; I’m a deep sleeper but there’s been several times I’ve woken up before 5am to the sounds of him zooming around and bouncing off the walls. And that’s even after making him jump & dash for a string-toy for 30-40mins at night. I’ve lived with cats before but they were a bit older so even the playful ones got tuckered out way quicker.

When I do find him sleeping now he’s usually in his pumpkin cave I got him :3:

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2021

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Robo Kitty posted:

Unfortunately this the kind she can Houdini her way out of. :radcat:

I recently got this style and I like that the neck strap is separate.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are vets super slammed all the time or is it just Portland? I cancelled my Banfield plan allowing free office visits because I could never book one without a couple weeks' notice.

Someone told me a couple vet clinics in Portland shut down at the beginning of COVID and that’s part of why it’s so slammed? I moved here recently and was surprised how long it took to set up an exam. My friends in LA don’t seem to be having this problem?

EDIT: Scratch that, just talked to a friend in OC and their vets are slammed too. Are there that many more pet owners post COVID?

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2021

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

That was my thought too, it could be the smell of the gloves.

Re Soft Paws: my last roommate and I used them on her cat for a bit but tbh we found trimming his nails just as effective, and you have to trim their nails to get the soft paws on anyway. He also had some issues with one claw not shedding properly, and it was much easier to tend to without the soft paws on that nail.

My advice is make sure you get the right size; they do come in multiple sizes and if they’re too small it can make shedding the claws more difficult and uncomfortable for the cat. Admittedly the soft paw colors are fun and make it more visually obvious when your cats’ nails need trimming, but her cat was super chill about having his nails trimmed but was a HUGE baby about getting the soft paws glued on.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Best of luck to you and your cat! That sounds awful to watch, I hope he makes a fast recovery and gets his strength back. At least the vet can keep eye on him for a bit and make sure he keeps his food down. :(

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Sarern posted:

Are you in the Pacific northwest? If so, it's going to get much hotter than 86 and bugging out is not a bad idea. If 86 is the high, that seems less dire.

I’m in PNW and fortunately brought my portable AC unit with me from my time in LA. One of my coworkers brought her cat to work today (she has a personal office with AC and a door) because he’s not been eating or drinking in the heat and threw up this morning. :( He’s started eating in her office and he feels like a cloud. :3:

I’ve been wiping my cat down with wet paper-towels, putting even more water in his wet food, gave him tuna juice (I know it’s not great on the reg but it was loving 115° outside and he’s a dumb idiot that barely drinks water) and SOMEHOW tricked him to lay down on a cooling mat. It’s cooled down now so we’re through the worst of it but man, gently caress global warming.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Survived the PNW heatwave but as soon as it ended Sinjin’s stopped eating. Wednesday night I managed to coax him to eat some wet and dry food (he’s been on all wet, I only feed dry for treats). Thursday night I came home and he hadn’t touched his breakfast, there was vomit outside the litterbox (looked like Wed’s dinner) and dried poop on his butt. :(

Sent a rambling email to my vet and took him in Friday morning. They told me they’d treat his symptoms and if the problem persisted I could bring him back in for testing since he just had a routine exam & labwork 3 weeks ago. They gave him fluids and anti-nausea meds, and sent me home with an appetite stimulant, probiotics and a few cans of GI food.

So far the stimulants have gotten him to eat some food, but he’s still hesitant about eating much wet. I pounded a few Greenies into powder and sprinkled it on the GI food. He’s not really buying it but I guess eating SOME food is better than no food. ┐(‘~`;)┌

EAT AND FEEL BETTER DANG IT

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Ugh, I’m in the process of banning someone from my house for terrorizing my cat (trying
to recover my spare key atm, gently caress). He’s still got a lot of kitten energy and I tried to lay out that he can be overly vocal and bitey (he’ll nip my legs sometimes when begging to play), here are some preventative measures and here are ways to let out his energy.

Guest rolled her eyes, dismissed and ignored me and when I came home from work he was cowering from her as she bragged about how “yelling at him was way more effective” and that she’d, “had to give him a stern talking to.” Wtf?

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 22, 2021

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’ve lived with chatty Siamese cats (they’re yowlers) that will have conversations with you and I currently have a little grumble-beast that sounds like an old man muttering to himself. It’s more like a trill-noise, like he’s purring and whining at the same time.

With the former they meow back as you converse with them, but with the latter it’s like… the cat is constantly talking to himself for my benefit?? It’s so goofy and weird. He does do full meows when he wants to yell at me for attention.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I got one of those criminally expensive Modcat top-style boxes. Stupid amount of money to pay for a poop bucket but it did cut down on litter getting over every inch of my life.

Sinjin also has those big toe tufts that soak up litter crumbs like little fluffy sponges. I trimmed one of them down while he was sleeping but he woke up before I could get the rest. :argh:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The Chewy Frisco brand trees are pretty sturdy and affordable. When my past roommate got a cat she got some random inexpensive tree that nearly crushed the cat after he fumbled a jump. She switched to a Frisco tree which was way more stable. They can also be mounted to the wall. I’ve heard Armakat recommended here as well.

Catastrophic Creations have some totally over-the-top wall-mounted furniture I’d love to get someday, but it’d be waaaaay cheaper to DIY.

I’m in an apartment but idk, I’ll just patch the holes when I move out. ┐(‘~`;)┌

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Cat’s are territorial so removing a cat from it’s territory and throwing it into another cat’s territory will be super stressful for both animals. It’s easier to have someone housesit/check on them.

A collar with ID tag is one more thing that might help you reunite with your cat if they get lost. I don’t see any reason not to?

If you can get 2 littermates they might help deflect the firehose of pure kitten assholery.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I have to keep everything below my head covered by blankets because if Sinjin decides it’s time to get up and play he’ll bite any exposed bits of flesh.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

You can post pics here but the yospos cat thread is usually the more general casual chatter random pics thread whereas this one is used more for questions I think? This one does also get chatter and pics as well though.

YOSPOS cat thread would love to see your kitten, it is a very pro catte-zone.
Here’s the link:
CAT FACE CAT PLACE

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I've never known a cat to nap on their back in the middle of the floor before... Wednesday does it all the time.

It's a hard life.

:kimchi: Omg manx AND fluffy?! That is the dream combo, I love the little rabbit tail.

My last roommate’s cat pretty much defaults to that. It was really funny to me, walking in a room to a passed out cat in the middle of the floor.

My own boy is normally a tight little ball but sometimes he lies on his back and is the cutest.

Cat tax:
Roommate’s cat

My cat’s smokey belly

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Did your vet give you an appetite stimulant or anything? They gave me topical cream to rub into my cats ear.

Sometimes I have to smear food on my cat’s nose or paws to force him to taste it. After he cleans his face/paws he usually decides the food is palatable and goes to his dish.

You’ve probably already tried a bunch of stuff…Sorry you’re having to deal with with that, it’s so stressful. :(

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My cat is on the bigger side (he has a very long body) and I’ve personally not had very much luck getting him to put all 4 paws into a backpack.

I’ve seen expanding backpacks like these recommended for my situation but haven’t tried it myself yet (still sore about paying for the 1st backpack…)

The idea is you train them to walk through the expanded backpack, stand in the expanded backpack, than gradually make it smaller until they’re comfortable in just the backpack portion. Then you gradually train them to be comfortable in a lifted backpack, etc etc.

Most of my info I’ve gleaned from Cat School’s clicker training videos. I’ve taught my cat to go to where I tap my finger and he’ll fist bump and sit on command, though if he realizes I don’t have any food he stops giving a poo poo hahaha.

I want to work on carrier or backpack training so getting him to the vet is less traumatic. :( It’s just a bit time consuming. Each cat is different tho so YMMV

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I realized my cat’s collar has been chafing his neck. I took it off and he has scabs where the collar was. :( He’s indoor so I’m taking it off while the skin heals, but has anyone else experienced this? He’s a medium hair.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I have a coworker who’s cat kept trying to escape and their solution was to harness train him and take him on leashed walks outside.

She said he stopped trying to escape. She walks him every morning before work and sometimes after, even in rain and snow.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’m sorry for your loss.
As I understand it, like people, even if an older cat is in good health when they get sick they go downhill fast. A friend’s elderly cat similarly had been to the vet recently and they crooned over how he had the heart of a cat 5 years younger. Maybe a month later he died from pneumonia. It was very unexpected and sad. On the other hand it’s better that he died suddenly than a prolonged battle with cancer or feline Alzheimer’s, but either way it’s terrible and sad. We don’t get enough time with them. It hurts that their lives are so short. :(

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Cattios rule if you have the time/means/space for them but if your vet is being weird and prescriptive about it that sucks.

The mouse thing is completely nuts. I’d have to assume she doesn’t own cats and is just suggesting stuff she’s fantasized about doing?? Why not just use a loving puzzle feeder???

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Yay another excuse to post this very cute picture of Sinjin sleeping between my legs:

I’m a super deep sleeper but maybe 30-40 min after I go to bed Sinjin curls up between or behind my legs and stays there unless I roll over, and then typically just lies back down to the new leg crevice.

He gets up to my alarm and pesters me to follow suit; it’s very very cute.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I got my cat last year and he’s fluffed out substantially this winter (medium hair). These last few months, every few weeks or so, I come home to skid marks on the floor and I have to hold him hostage in the bathroom to pull turds out of his butt hair…

It’s not diarrhea. His poops are pretty solid but they seem to get tangled up in the dense hair around his tail and haunches. He’s not as thorough or frequent at cleaning himself as the last cat I lived with either.

Is the solution to brush out his haunches more thoroughly? Or get him a sanitary trim? Is that something people do themselves or do at the vet or?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Cats are so good, guys. :kimchi:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Esme posted:

I think I know exactly what you mean and one of mine does it too, especially when he’s playful and sees the other cat getting attention. It’s like a meow that turns into a “nrrrgggh” sound that a frustrated person might make, usually accompanied by sprinting away at full speed.

Sinjin does this too! He meows when he’s excited and/or he wants to play. If I get up and he thinks he has my attention he’ll run away from me while making that “NRRRGGGH” sound.

If I don’t have time to clicker train him I “hide” a small handful of dry food around my home before I leave for work and he goes nuts for it. Just yelling at me as he runs around the apartment searching in all the regular spots.

He also has a very crazy, low octave, warbling howl when he’s about to throw up. I’ve never heard a cat make that noise. I thought he was dying the first time I heard it.

CATS! :neckbeard:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I could not feel more lucky that Sinjin has never gone outside of his litterbox (internationally at least. His fluffy cat pants have betrayed us both).

However he’s not been interested in his food the last couple days and I’m not 100% sure if it’s just daylight savings or if he’s suddenly decided he’s too good for chicken. Eat, stupid!

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Good morning, I can finally afford to take proper care of these brats and I want to know if I should suck it up and buy the flea and tick preventative from my vet or pet smart that’s like 3 doses for $50+ or is there an effective solution I can buy online for cheap somewhere? I don’t wanna just look up whatever the first thing Amazon says is preferred, I know goons would have a lead on the good stuff for the best deal.

Do you let your cats outside (indoor/outdoor or on a leash)? If your cats are indoor only you shouldn’t need to give them flea medication. At least that’s what my vet told me 👀

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I remember my childhood dog joyfully frolicking after taking a powerful dump. That satisfying lightness after a huge poo poo is a universal experience man, dog, cat can all connect with.

(My cat also gets the zoomies)

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Wish I was at home so I could take a picture of Sinjin’s toe tufts!

Quill’s really aren’t that long. Longer haired cats’ toe tufts can get matted so some people keep them trimmed. I sometimes trim Sinjin’s tufts because of they track litter like crazy.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

xzzy posted:

Hot fresh Abigail toe tufts right here.

:neckbeard:

Page late but gonna post my boy’s fluffy toes:

I trimmed them yesterday because they track litter so dang much. Also trying to handle his paws more so someday he’ll let me trim those claws.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

JHomer722 posted:

Thanks all for the replies. The shelter posted a profile on the Stray or Found page and the cat is a “he”, about two years old, and not neutered.

I think if someone doesn’t fix and chip their pet AND lets them outside they’re a bad owner.

There’s a depressing amount of cats that just get abandoned at the slightest inconvenience. I’ve had a few friends who suddenly found themselves taking care of abandoned pet cats after their next-door neighbors moved away. One eventually became an indoor cat and lived to the ripe old age if 22. :unsmith:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Obfuscation posted:

Great, thanks, as a first time cat owner I've been kinda low-key anxious about a lot of things but everything has seemed to work out fine so far. I guess the litter box is the most secure thing for her in my bathroom and she likes hiding there since it's the one room my Roomba doesn't enter. Jackson Galaxy mentions the towel thing a lot so I've been trying to set those down into places where the cats sleep and then rotate them into other locations.

edit: here's a fresh picture of the scared toilet cat. I think her eyes are very dark brown all around so in photos they just turn fully black.

My old roommate’s cat did that for the first week after she adopted him. My cat hid in the cardboard carrier he came in until I expanded his access to my bedroom and he immediately ran under my bed. It’s possible it feels safe because it smells like her and she’s overwhelmed by all the new smells?

Maybe giving her a box or cave bed or somewhere else she cat hide in to feel secure? Jackson Galaxy’s show would also recommend high places (like a cat tree or shelves).

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I think “Da Bird” toy is a good go-to for interactive toys. And yeah, I recommend switching out toys every so often just to keep things fresh (and maybe make them smell different?). My boy likes wool, fur and kicker toys so I’ll switch stuff in and out but keep the same type if toys around.

I adopted my cat at (probably) around 10 months and he slowed down a LOT within the first few months I got him. He went from keeping me up with zoomies and meows every night to being a nice quiet cuddle-bug.

Kitten food is higher calorie. Idk when to switch them over… I fed my cat adult food as soon as I got him (that’s what the shelter gave me!) but other things say to make the switch at 12 months. It’s probably ok to at least start transitioning? I feed mine wet 2 times a day a total of like 230 calories/day (he’s 11.5lbs). That just happens to work for my cat but he doesn’t really beg for food; I feed him a little when I wake up, play with him, then give him the rest of his breakfast and do the same routine when I get home.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My cat HATES wearing a bell but is fine with just a collar. My roommate’s cat could not be convinced to wear a collar at all.

I also vote for removing the bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I trim my cat’s toe-tufts and butt curtains because he’s too dang fluffy and tracks litter (and sometimes poop) out of the box. I also use an overpriced top-entry litterbox (this one) which helps too.

Recently realized Sinjin goes completely inside of the box to pee in it, but perches on the edge of the box opening to poop like a bird. Then jumps back inside to bury it???