Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lycaeon posted:

That's the part where you adopt it and give your cat a companion.

Or bring it to a shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So i want to get a cat again(when my family permits it, our dog died a month ago) and i am not sure what breed i want to get, its between maine coon, exotic, ragdoll or a scottish fold. I am fine with adpoting or buying one. all my previous cats were non-pedigrees and were great, but i want a cat that's more cuddly.

Go to a shelter, interact with cats, ask the staff about cat personalities. Find one that's cuddly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tendai posted:

I'm pretty sure every vet has been covered in poo poo/puke/pee or all three at once at some point in their career.

Not even vets. I volunteered at an animal shelter for two years and endured two out of the three. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mcmagic posted:

Why does my rear end in a top hat cat attack my feet/roll over on his back in front of where i'm walking when I'm walking from my kitchen to my bedroom, but never from the bedroom to the kitchen? This happens no matter if he has a full bowl of food in the kitchen or not...

Because he is a cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, outdoor cats have a habit of devastating local rodent and bird populations. Cats are efficient predators and are known to kill simply for fun and not for food.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My old cat wasn't very vocal, he just had a "my food dish is empty!" and a "open this door!" meow. Except when he'd sit watching out the windows. He had distinctly different sounds he'd make to announce anything that wasn't a songbird or a squirrel: he'd make specific noises for foxes, rabbits, hawks, deer, and raccoons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

asiperi posted:

I was really afraid she and my older cat (2 years) wouldn't get along b/c my older cat has a history of not getting along with my parents' old cat, but now both cats are asleep in my lap at the same time. My older cat will still occasionally growl, or make rumbly unhappy noises, but in large part their interactions have been friendly, sniffing each other.

This is generally the best way to do it, rather than introducing a second adult cat to a house already with an established adult cat. Kittens are assholes but not yet set in their ways and don't have the need for territory that adult cats do. Don't be surprised if there is occasionally growing or even the odd swipe - that's how adult cats teach kittens what is and is not acceptable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gyre posted:

Quick question: I know the FAQ says to always adopt kittens in pairs, but does this apply to adult cats?

Depends heavily on the individual cat(s). If you're looking to adopt, I suggest making up your mind whether you want one cat or two and then specifically asking the shelter staff about it. They'll be able to tell you if they have a bonded pair of cats that should be adopted together, or if they have a cat that for whatever reason would be best in a one-cat household.

I volunteered for a few years at an animal shelter, and we had an adorable, friendly black persian or persian-looking mix who went through about four adoption failures. After talking with all of the would-have-been adopters, we figured out that while Oscar was very friendly with humans he was extremely timid around other cats and would get bullied relentlessly. We had to put up a notice on the website that Oscar would only be adopted out if he'd be the only cat in the home.

On the other hand, some cats bond with each other well and for similar reasons we put a notice that they'd have to be adopted as a pair.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, sleeping babies are warm. Most cats like to seek out sources of warmth and curl up on or next to them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just checking since you didn't mention it, but they are spayed and neutered, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

lizard_phunk posted:

Cat psychology question.

So my husband and I adopted my mom's "elderly" cat (which was previously my cat along with her buddy Goliath who has since passed away). She's was always pretty skittish, never a lap cat or anything.

Now she's really warmed up to living with us and is exhibiting some new behaviours: She "talks" all the time (good catte), is extremely playful, has started cautiously demanding to sleep on stomachs and other good things.

Here's the one I don't get:
When we feed her in the evening, she will eat, then like clockwork sit down to HOWL. It seriously sounds like she's mortally wounded (nothing like the howls you get by washing a cat or angry cats). This is like "hi i was hit by a truck and broke all my legs" bellowing.

I really freaked out the first time I heard her do it, but by now we have learned it just really means "play with me RIGHT NOW".

So, uh - is this a thing?

Diagnosis: is a cat, has learned how to get your attention.

Recommended treatment: Ignore her if you want to discourage the behavior. She's learned how to reliably get your attention and will keep doing it as long as it works.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

Cats are fine in small spaces as long as they have vertical stuff to play on and a window to look out of. My friend has a cat in an apartment about that size and it seems quite content.

Can confirm, I had to catsit two cats in a tiny apartment. I borrowed their owner's aramark cat tree, opened the windows, and let them climb on my computer desk area and book/dresser shelves. They seemed happy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Werong Bustope posted:

Some cats just aren't super into laps and cuddles. Macready also prefers a cat pedestal for the most part, although he will occasionally come flump down against me in bed and demand chin scritches. One of my old cats was like that when she was young too, though when she hit 7 or 8 she became a lot more cuddly and even started lap sitting. So maybe he'll come round with time?

My family's last cat was never a lap cat to the end of his days. He'd happily sit on the arm or back of your chair or couch, just not the lap.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SneakyFrog posted:

My mothers homeopathic "doctor" told her smoking was harmless if she rolled her own cigarettes. Needless to say i have very low opinions on homeopathy and its often quite space cadet practitioners.

Homeopathy is also based on the idea that substances somehow remember and carry over what they've been in contact with. Your typical homeopathic cure-all is just plain water.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

Can you even imagine what a pain in the rear end an autistic cat would be?

It would be called a weird cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

I honestly think your cats are fine. The main animal that the Domestic Cat is descended from is the African Wildcat, as I recall, an animal which has several evolutionary adaptations for surviving in extremely hot weather (as in, 110+-degree weather). Not to say it's *good* for cats, but speaking in general terms your average cat is far better suited to survive in extreme heat than, say, extreme cold. Though of course this isn't always true, you do get cats like the Maine Coon who has developed a number of traits to survive and hunt in deep snow and cold weather.

They've got several obvious adaptations you notice - like we were talking about cats who eat wet food barely drinking water at all? Cats have incredible water retention, and a reason why cat-pee is so smelly is because the concentration of urea is much higher than in humans.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. But at ~90 degrees I don't really think you're anywhere close to the danger zone for kittens. Frankly, they're far better adapted to this sort of weather than you are!

However, consider introducing the kittens to the sink, bathtub, or other sources of porcelain they can lay down on. Porcelain tends to stay much cooler than other materials and that is the source of cats often being found in sinks and tubs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ciaphas posted:

God, cats are assholes. Why do we love these stupid creatures again? :mad:

Toxioplasmosis.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gorgar posted:

It's been a while now, but I think I remember with my cat who went blind that he would mostly follow a wall to get around, but I think he also navigated by following rugs. Put food, litter, and water next to pathways she can identify. I lived in a little coach house at the time, so there weren't vast expanses for him to get lost in, once I stopped letting him in the basement. A few times he got lost down there, and he'd make these sad little miaows and I'd go rescue him.

Talk to her a lot.

My grandparents had a blind cat for a while, and they said he was understandably not interested in climbing or windows. You might want to keep more things on the ground level than normal for cats, and give easy ways to get up to spaces you might want her on like a couch or chair.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Minister of Chance posted:

Vision impaired mother cat and one of her kittens are living with me since yesterday. They're still a little bit spooked, but the little one already wanted to be pet.
He's a purring machine, especially when he wants milk from mommy. With his 12 weeks he shouldn't need it anymore, but it's still cute.
Thanks for all the suggestions about blind cats when I asked.

They're adorable. Siamese or mixes thereof, looks like. Good on you for taking in a visually impaired old lady. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panzeh posted:

So, if i'm looking to be a first time cat owner, what's the best way to get a chill, lazy cat?

Go to a shelter, tell the staff you're looking for a chill, lazy cat and anything else that may be of concern to you - are you looking for a cat that will be happy by itself, are you looking for a pair, etc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just bear in mind that kittens tend to be assholes and haven't learned adult cat etiquette yet. Don't be alarmed if there's some hissing and swatting, especially if the kitten wants to play and the adult cat isn't in the mood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

This is why people say to get two kittens: it sounds twice as bad but they'll keep each other company and play with each other all the time, so it actually winds up easier.

She'll chill as she gets older if you can tough it out, but as a kitten she has effectively infinite amounts of energy.

This. Kittens are adorable, but only get a lone kitten if you're willing and able to spend hours and hours with it every day. If you can't, get two kittens or get an adult.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thin Privilege posted:

Why do cats lay down on your computer/keyboard? I have deduced it's because they see you giving attention to this thing and they want the at=te-[npnu---]

Partially that, but for the computer tower itself or a laptop, it's also because the computer is warm and cats as a rule like warm spots. See also cats gravitating towards napping in patches of sunlight and on people.

On the other hand, the cat being hot is why and when they'll camp out in places like the sink or bathtub to cool off on the cool porcelain.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Huntersoninski posted:

Haha, my childhood kitten chessie did that poo poo all the time! She was really small and would get under desks, behind shelves, even up in the duct work of the house, and then take a nap, totally oblivious to our mad scramble to find her.

My childhood kitten did something similar, but only once thankfully. She was napping inside one of my mother's winter boots.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Or he likes to meow. Sounds like a cat to me

If he's a Siamese or other Oriental breed (or a mix thereof) there's an excellent chance it's just this. Some cats are very talky and Oriental breeds in general but especially Siamese are known for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thin Privilege posted:

These guys are both male and are lovers. Whoever says that homosexuality doesn't exist is a moron.

Hop over to the bird thread. One regular poster owns a gay interspecies relationship. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From PYF.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Wait for it...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Animale posted:

So I just got a cat a week or so ago, she's around 8 and chill and she's getting used to me and I already bought her a stupid expensive cat tree that matches my decor but that she only uses the bottom shelf of to lounge. Anyway she left me a little present just outside the litter box (I got the ModKat flip box model and use World's Best for the flushing convenience) in the bathroom and she left a little poo mark on the carpet (so it looks like the poo got stuck to her fur). Any tips to wrangle the cat in order to cut the tuff around her poopybutthole? She'll scamper away if it looks like I I'm approaching her with two hands out or if I'm carrying scissors. Should I try to burrito her? Give her all the treats?

Here's the little stinker.

Your cat has a magnificent moustache and beard, good sir.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alteisen posted:

Does anyone else have a cat that loves to groom himself?

He doesn't lick himself till he's bald or anything but for the near 10 years I've had him he loving LOVES to groom himself.

Diagnosis: is a cat.

Cats do it all the time if their fur is messed up, they think they smell funny (i.e. you've been petting them), or they feel like it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Covered litter boxes are a very individual cat dependent thing. Some cats like em. Some hate em. If you intend to try one, make sure it's plenty roomy for the cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn off the TV posted:

This has really confused me. If cats hate being around other cats and never live together out of their own free will why do they form colonies in places with high feral cat populations?

From what I've read, it's because cats are very flexible and adaptable critters. By preference most are pretty solitary, but when population pressure and other factors demand they can and do establish elaborate social hierarchies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

explosivo posted:

Thanks for the encouragement, I think we are just going to let them go because she hasn't hissed yet. Hoping for a quiet night tonight!

Cats are pretty good about sorting out their boundaries. Don't be alarmed if the older cat (as Hyperlynx noted, one year old is still young for a cat) does hiss or swipe at the kitten, that's how older cats let kittens know they've had enough or the kitten's gone too far. It's perfectly normal and you should only be concerned if it becomes a constant thing or severe enough to draw blood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So a feral cat had kittens in my backyard and I let them mature to about 5/6 weeks and trapped the mom and took her to get spayed and separate the kittens from her because they were getting wilder and less approachable every day. I was hoping to get them tamed and then let them be outside cats after they mature and get neutered but now I'm having trouble getting them to eat and I'm worried I may have jumped the gun on taking action.

Any suggestions on what to do or did I gently caress up?

If you can stop them from being outside cats, do so. Feral cats have short life expectancies and do horrible things to the local environment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sociopastry posted:

There is a wild mothercat (very friendly) and three small kittens near my house in a rural area. I left some food out for them tonight, but I'm wondering what the best way to catch them to take them to a shelter is. I can't take in any more cats but I don't feel good leaving them out in the cold weather. What's the best way to help the kitties?

Talk to a shelter. Most shelters keep traps for precisely this kind of situation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

floofyscorp posted:

What a cutie :3:

If you want to keep him out of the bedroom at night then banning him all the time certainly works - with any luck the mewing and scratching when you go to bed will stop once he realises that you're not going to let him in and you will come out again in the morning. He will probably stay fascinated with the bedroom though. As soon as I close a door to my Cinnamon she becomes absolutely obsessed with seeing the other side, whether it's the bedroom door, the front door or my wardrobe's door. When I go into the bathroom for a shower and shut the door behind me, she sits on the rug outside the door and waits impatiently(meowing) for me to return.

Agreed. He'll get the message sooner or later, but closed doors are a perpetual source of mystery and anxiety to cats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Incidentally, that tells you something about how your cats see you. Burying their poop is a sign of submission. Not burying it means the cat thinks they're dominant over you. It's one of the ways cats express dominance over each other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, really? Is that instinctual, or socially learned? Is it a bad sign somehow? I thought he liked me :(

He's a cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Super Librarian posted:

I feel vindicated now for preemptively putting my router in a kind of ridiculous spot so that my cat couldn't reach it. Then again, it might not have mattered because she loves sleeping in the coldest parts of the apartment, including directly in front of one of the A/C units when it's on at full blast. :shrug: cats

Depends on the climate. Cats are not very good at regulating their body temperature, so if they feel cold they'll seek out something warm like a computer or person to nap on. If they feel too warm, they'll seek out something cold like a ceramic bathtub or sink to nap on. Sounds like you live in a warm climate and/or have a very fluffy cat so they're looking for somewhere to cool off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Do you have cat trees or otherwise something for them to climb on? Giving cats vertical space can often help a lot.